Remote management after hiring a inn keeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are doing it now. We have partners and we each own our homes. We still have one child at home, he's 12. It works for us. You just have to find the right person. Our first innkeeper didn't work out. That's a whole different story. The innkeeper we have now is great and we love her.
You have to find the right person that's going to love your business as much as you do. Your business is your baby and you aren't going to leave your baby with just anyone..
But as people were saying below, what is the definition of "works"? Just being open does not make it successful. As you said, prior person did not work out. The second person may/may not stay. I had a property manager for my 6-amily property I trusted. After a couple years, he wound up getting arrested and really screwed things up.
The definition of "works" for a business, is making a reasonable profit for the money and effort expended, for an extended period of time.
A lot of business owners count as profit, what is actually their time invested. That is not a profit, it is a wage.
I seriously doubt this is a good idea. For most people, it would make a lot more sense just to rent the property than to do this.
why be so rough? Really. What's the point of beating up on someone who was simply adding some encouragement around how it can work out for some people.
This was neither rough nor beating up. The point of the thread is the original post, asking if a good idea.
You didn't reply to the original post
I see that it is not aligned.
I am a little unfamiliar with the posting software.

I know a few who do that now, although they started as onsite owner/managers and were able to rebuild a B&B they had purchased and could wait to find the right manager before they fully transitioned off-site; they still come in several times a week and do the books. Unless you already have a proven onsite person in mind and factored the cost of their wage in your ROI, I would not want to be too "remote".

We are doing it now. We have partners and we each own our homes. We still have one child at home, he's 12. It works for us. You just have to find the right person. Our first innkeeper didn't work out. That's a whole different story. The innkeeper we have now is great and we love her.
You have to find the right person that's going to love your business as much as you do. Your business is your baby and you aren't going to leave your baby with just anyone..
But as people were saying below, what is the definition of "works"? Just being open does not make it successful. As you said, prior person did not work out. The second person may/may not stay. I had a property manager for my 6-amily property I trusted. After a couple years, he wound up getting arrested and really screwed things up.
The definition of "works" for a business, is making a reasonable profit for the money and effort expended, for an extended period of time.
A lot of business owners count as profit, what is actually their time invested. That is not a profit, it is a wage.
I seriously doubt this is a good idea. For most people, it would make a lot more sense just to rent the property than to do this.
why be so rough? Really. What's the point of beating up on someone who was simply adding some encouragement around how it can work out for some people.
This was neither rough nor beating up. The point of the thread is the original post, asking if a good idea.
I have read several of your posts on other threads and to be honest you come off as being a bit of an ass. Sorry if this offends anyone. I am thankful to have found this forum. There are times I would like to comment, but I don't feel I have the experience to do so.
Our situation is unique, and currently working wonderfully and I wanted to share that on the original post.

undersea said:
But as people were saying below, what is the definition of "works"? Just being open does not make it successful.
So I've been thinking about this some more, and I think the key here is that it is up to each business owner to define for themselves what they mean by "it works." For some, it may well be that "just being open" is indeed what success looks like to them, for a given moment in time. Others may shake their head in wonder, but really, who are we to judge?

undersea said:
But as people were saying below, what is the definition of "works"? Just being open does not make it successful.
So I've been thinking about this some more, and I think the key here is that it is up to each business owner to define for themselves what they mean by "it works." For some, it may well be that "just being open" is indeed what success looks like to them, for a given moment in time. Others may shake their head in wonder, but really, who are we to judge?
Harborfields said:
undersea said:
Success. What does that look like? It's different for everyone. Problem is, if we allow the mass media to define success for us we all have to be Bill Gates.
There's a guy who spends more per year on personal security than my net worth.

Back