renovated/ designed bed and breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and then there is the cost.
You can't be green and offer a big ol' tub. it is the antithesis of saving the planet. (Mentioning for those who may not consider this) "reuse your towels, but use 10,000 gallons of water and electricity"
confused_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
You can't be green and offer a big ol' tub. it is the antithesis of saving the planet.
Then again, I doubt many would say saving the planet is the main purpose of their business. If the tubs attract business, they are serving their purpose of helping the business succeed. If you can also be green in some other aspects, that's icing on the cake. It's not a case of all green or no green.
But yes, one shouldn't crow too much about being a green operation if you have tubs that use 100 gallons of hot water!
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
You can't be green and offer a big ol' tub. it is the antithesis of saving the planet.
Then again, I doubt many would say saving the planet is the main purpose of their business. If the tubs attract business, they are serving their purpose of helping the business succeed. If you can also be green in some other aspects, that's icing on the cake. It's not a case of all green or no green.
But yes, one shouldn't crow too much about being a green operation if you have tubs that use 100 gallons of hot water!
Agreed.
100%
Just bringing it up for those who want to go forward on this tub thing. "Different shades of green" a title for your next book Arks! :)
I think the only true green is to live in a tent made of fir sheaths, and hunt your own food (that is overpopulated and needs culling of course) and then possibly eating it raw, so you don't burn any needed quail habitat by thinking that those fallen logs and brush are just there to be used in your fire. And no, don't bathe in the streams and pollute them. Be natural. Earthy and very natural... here come our guests, adios!

From one who attempted to do the "GREEN" BS for business purposes, went through a year of classes at great expense (approx $1000 in lost revenue to attend the classes and time and gas to get to those classes which were 150 miles from my house - no hotel because could not afford so left the house at 5 AM to be there), was assessed as ALREADY DOING everything possible during my site assessment (because it made sense financially to do what I was doing), and the kicker? IF I got ONE reservation because we were "GREEN" that was it. And I am speaking the time period between 2004 and today. I was listed on all sorts of "GREEN" sites and that got me NOTHING. The Green Certification was making a mint off this BS - to get certified as GREEN, I would have had to be inspected by one of their inspectors paying #1 - the inspection fee to the organization (cannot remember the name at the moment) #2 - then the certification fee #3 - the expenses of the inspector to come from Europe or South Africa (plane fare, meals, ground transport, lodging, etc). Want to guess why I did not get Certified?
DO NOT buy into the they will come if you are green. They really do not give a rat's if you are green if you say you are it gives them the lip service they are looking for BUT they will leave the lights on, they will open the windows at night because they want fresh air - and leave them open when they leave - while the heat is on in the room the entire time, they might hang up the towels for reuse, and they WILL take long showers and/or fill the claw-foot as full as possible (and my claw-foot is a small swimming pool). This has been my experience with the ones who spout "green". The garbage left behind of packaging of snacks and bottles and plastics......
Now you know why I think the whole "green" thing is a hoax that is making some people rich. Man made problem? The Foreman's Club which was a magnificent structure on the road I grew up on became empty and unused after that steel company went under and then the nursing home that used it for a few years left. Within 10 years, unless you KNEW where it was, you could not tell. The building is still there (unless it fell in on itself) but the entire property is overgrown with vegetation - it IS totally green. (I know because I do still go back from time to time to the road I grew up on to see friends still there.)

and then there is the cost.
You can't be green and offer a big ol' tub. it is the antithesis of saving the planet. (Mentioning for those who may not consider this) "reuse your towels, but use 10,000 gallons of water and electricity"
confused_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Agreed.
100%
Just bringing it up for those who want to go forward on this tub thing. "Different shades of green" a title for your next book Arks! :)
I think the only true green is to live in a tent made of fir sheaths, and hunt your own food (that is overpopulated and needs culling of course) and then possibly eating it raw, so you don't burn any needed quail habitat by thinking that those fallen logs and brush are just there to be used in your fire. And no, don't bathe in the streams and pollute them. Be natural. Earthy and very natural... here come our guests, adios!
I like that - different shades of green.
Being listed as been has never gotten us a guest who mentioned it. Part of the process here is to develop materials for guests to read. That page never gets viewed on my website. The info in the guest room is never mentioned.
However, given our guests come from places where recycling is not even a blip, l'm not surprised that no one mentions it.
For guests who are really focused on the green stay, they more want it to be about the food. How it's grown, how far away and how it's prepared.
Luckily, I've found a farm that grows wheat so we can now get flour locally.

From one who attempted to do the "GREEN" BS for business purposes, went through a year of classes at great expense (approx $1000 in lost revenue to attend the classes and time and gas to get to those classes which were 150 miles from my house - no hotel because could not afford so left the house at 5 AM to be there), was assessed as ALREADY DOING everything possible during my site assessment (because it made sense financially to do what I was doing), and the kicker? IF I got ONE reservation because we were "GREEN" that was it. And I am speaking the time period between 2004 and today. I was listed on all sorts of "GREEN" sites and that got me NOTHING. The Green Certification was making a mint off this BS - to get certified as GREEN, I would have had to be inspected by one of their inspectors paying #1 - the inspection fee to the organization (cannot remember the name at the moment) #2 - then the certification fee #3 - the expenses of the inspector to come from Europe or South Africa (plane fare, meals, ground transport, lodging, etc). Want to guess why I did not get Certified?
DO NOT buy into the they will come if you are green. They really do not give a rat's if you are green if you say you are it gives them the lip service they are looking for BUT they will leave the lights on, they will open the windows at night because they want fresh air - and leave them open when they leave - while the heat is on in the room the entire time, they might hang up the towels for reuse, and they WILL take long showers and/or fill the claw-foot as full as possible (and my claw-foot is a small swimming pool). This has been my experience with the ones who spout "green". The garbage left behind of packaging of snacks and bottles and plastics......
Now you know why I think the whole "green" thing is a hoax that is making some people rich. Man made problem? The Foreman's Club which was a magnificent structure on the road I grew up on became empty and unused after that steel company went under and then the nursing home that used it for a few years left. Within 10 years, unless you KNEW where it was, you could not tell. The building is still there (unless it fell in on itself) but the entire property is overgrown with vegetation - it IS totally green. (I know because I do still go back from time to time to the road I grew up on to see friends still there.).
Does an inn actually have to be "certified green" in order to say that it is "green"? From your experience with this it seems that it would be just as effective to make a page on your website listing what you do to be earth friendly so that those who are interested have a little bit of encouragement. Or is the claim to "green" or "earth friendly" regulated legally?

Now you know why I think the whole "green" thing is a hoax that is making some people rich. Man made problem? The Foreman's Club which was a magnificent structure on the road I grew up on became empty and unused after that steel company went under and then the nursing home that used it for a few years left. Within 10 years, unless you KNEW where it was, you could not tell. The building is still there (unless it fell in on itself) but the entire property is overgrown with vegetation - it IS totally green. (I know because I do still go back from time to time to the road I grew up on to see friends still there.).
Does an inn actually have to be "certified green" in order to say that it is "green"? From your experience with this it seems that it would be just as effective to make a page on your website listing what you do to be earth friendly so that those who are interested have a little bit of encouragement. Or is the claim to "green" or "earth friendly" regulated legally?
I could, did, and do say on my web site that we were GREEN. I just could not say Certified. My State was so busy helping other States with their "green" criteria and had their heads up their butts about the importance of a Green Logo to put on web sites and materials that they never did create one. Their excuse was it had to have substance behind it - and could not hear of "no, all people are interested in is the logo, they do NOT care about what is behind it". So all the States THEY trained on the eco stuff came up with logos to publish and WV was left in the station watching the train go by if there were people actually looking for "Green".

irisevelynn said:
In my state, no there is no certification. You just turn in to Parks & Tourism what things you do that are green, and they'll list you on the state website "Green Lodging" page for anybody who is looking for that. So really no reason NOT to do it. I also list on my website that I have all LED lighting, on-demand hot water, etc.
But some states do have you jump through some certification hurdles before they will list you and give you a certified logo to use at your inn, and on your website. I think Trip_x_Advisor has a certification program that's fairly rigorous.

irisevelynn said:
In my state, no there is no certification. You just turn in to Parks & Tourism what things you do that are green, and they'll list you on the state website "Green Lodging" page for anybody who is looking for that. So really no reason NOT to do it. I also list on my website that I have all LED lighting, on-demand hot water, etc.
But some states do have you jump through some certification hurdles before they will list you and give you a certified logo to use at your inn, and on your website. I think Trip_x_Advisor has a certification program that's fairly rigorous.
Arks said:
I think Trip_x_Advisor has a certification program that's fairly rigorous.
It's a long form but there is no verification.
We got approved by the state's program years ago. It's a biennial recertification and you are required to show improvement.
We're really small compared to some places so continuous improvement is hard. We don't have fridges in every room that could be better, we are not going to the expense of converting all the rooms to sensor-controlled lighting and heating so big jumps in savings are hard at this point.
We did most of it in the first year we were here. But we did it to save money. And because it drives me crazy to waste utilities.
The dripping of a faucet, the running of a toilet, having equipment cycle all night that is only used for a short period in the morning - all that got fixed pronto.
We went to the dark side and got the pod coffee machine. But we got rid of the mini moos. We have individual boxes of cereal but we don't throw out a lot of stale cereal from big boxes.
It's a balancing act.

We designed our five guest room, eight thousand square feet, three story B&B from the ground up to be a bed-and-breakfast. In addition to options like elevator and sprinkler system, we used accessibility and acoustic design principles – for example, all doors are 36 inch wide, lever handles and no bedrooms share a common wall with acoustic sensitive areas double sheetrocked using green glue.
As for room standards, minimum is space enough for a king bed and bathroom ensuite.
It would take a day to document all of the design considerations that go into a purpose built bed-and-breakfast.

Read this thread; u can pick your energy provider from your elec company. Some r 100% green for about same price. Usually a website. To millenials, this is a huge issue.

Back