Reservation Key, Credit Cards and Deposits

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get about 99% of my reservations online. Usually once a year I take a reservation by telephone.
That said, the question of taking a deposit is a cultural one as well as a competitive one. I don't take a deposit, but I hold the card and I can process an authorization on the account. I find that it works for me. About 90% of my processing is done here and last year it was about 50% with chip. This year it is finally leaning towards 90% with chip since the US instituted it. It's still about 50% with PIN. Even if I do a keyed auth, I still process the end charge with C&P (EMV). I don't use Authorize.net at all and when I process a 3rd party payment I do it via Square invoicing so they are responsible for the security of the transaction including keeping the IP, etc.
It is more customary in the US to take deposits. But not as common in Canada, where people expect to process with card in hand on a portable bluetooth terminal with Chip & PIN..
Generic said:
It is more customary in the US to take deposits. But not as common in Canada, where people expect to process with card in hand on a portable bluetooth terminal with Chip & PIN.
We are now finding out why we don't have PINs here - Visa and MC are blocking it because they will lose money. Not, as they previously stated, because Americans are too stupid to memorize a number.
Morticia said:
Generic said:
It is more customary in the US to take deposits. But not as common in Canada, where people expect to process with card in hand on a portable bluetooth terminal with Chip & PIN.
We are now finding out why we don't have PINs here - Visa and MC are blocking it because they will lose money. Not, as they previously stated, because Americans are too stupid to memorize a number.
Or with multiple cards people will use the same PIN which eventually degrades security. Also, adding the PIN is a time factor that slows down the transaction process and requires more equipment available especially in restaurants. At least, that's what the current commentary is. We are getting PIN people from abroad that say "oh I've used my card in tons of places in the States, they've never needed a PIN. Yeah, that's because they don't even have chip readers yet and are swiping it.
Momma Smurf said:
Morticia said:
Generic said:
Or with multiple cards people will use the same PIN which eventually degrades security. Also, adding the PIN is a time factor that slows down the transaction process and requires more equipment available especially in restaurants. At least, that's what the current commentary is. We are getting PIN people from abroad that say "oh I've used my card in tons of places in the States, they've never needed a PIN. Yeah, that's because they don't even have chip readers yet and are swiping it.
PIN transactions are faster. At least with the PIN enabled terminals. Guest enters PIN , receipt prints, good to go. No pen, no signature, easy peasy.
Seriously. My terminal takes the same time to process whether it's a PIN transaction or not. It's the chip part that's slower. But no signature. That part saves time. Because a guest with three bags slung over shoulders cannot sign the receipt.
If a guest chooses to compromise their card security, bank security, email security, etc by reusing PIN 's that's their problem, not mine.
Our chip processor is very fast too, but we use our Chip Card at TJs and other corporate places and it takes faaaar longer just to process, definitely slower than swipe used to be.

We take 50% of the entire stay upon taking the reservation. Balance due upon arrival.
Morticia's % is close enough, we do try and get the card and swipe it upon arrival, rather than, "Did you want to put the balance due on the same card"?

I get about 99% of my reservations online. Usually once a year I take a reservation by telephone.
That said, the question of taking a deposit is a cultural one as well as a competitive one. I don't take a deposit, but I hold the card and I can process an authorization on the account. I find that it works for me. About 90% of my processing is done here and last year it was about 50% with chip. This year it is finally leaning towards 90% with chip since the US instituted it. It's still about 50% with PIN. Even if I do a keyed auth, I still process the end charge with C&P (EMV). I don't use Authorize.net at all and when I process a 3rd party payment I do it via Square invoicing so they are responsible for the security of the transaction including keeping the IP, etc.
It is more customary in the US to take deposits. But not as common in Canada, where people expect to process with card in hand on a portable bluetooth terminal with Chip & PIN..
Generic said:
Morticia said:
because Americans are too stupid to memorize a number.
We had Aussies here last week who needed their PIN. She just stood in front of the terminal for a half minute because she had issues remembering it! They'd been traveling three weeks all over, including NYC and Boston, and not once did she need the PIN!

Generic said:
Morticia said:
Generic said:
Momma Smurf said:
Morticia said:
Generic said:
PIN transactions are faster. At least with the PIN enabled terminals. Guest enters PIN , receipt prints, good to go. No pen, no signature, easy peasy.
Seriously. My terminal takes the same time to process whether it's a PIN transaction or not. It's the chip part that's slower. But no signature. That part saves time. Because a guest with three bags slung over shoulders cannot sign the receipt.
If a guest chooses to compromise their card security, bank security, email security, etc by reusing PIN 's that's their problem, not mine.
We are all so used to C&P around here. The total process takes a lot less time than with signatures and a lot more secure... you don't have to compare signatures, never mind walk around with a pen. Form on the bottom says "Verified by PIN" and it's DONE. Print their copy and go. Most Canadian and Europeans, you just type the amount into the terminal and hand it to them and they know how to do the rest. The guests from the US we have to talk through the first time, remind them that we don't want to touch their card, they put it in, they pull it out, hand me the terminal and it's done (except for signing.) And there is no way to even suggest that something untoward is being done with their card or that the amount is wrong because they agreed to the amount when they put in their card.

Jim, we take a deposit of 25% of the rent (not including taxes or any other fees, e.g. pet fee) at the time of reservation to confirm the res. In the event of cancellation (at any time), it is in non-refundable unless we succeed in renting the space to someone else -- fortunately cancellations are very rare, for us. We are using ResKey with PayPal for online reservations, but by far most of our reservations are made by e-mail inquiry, with the deposit sent by check or through Square invoicing online. Most of our reservations are made well in advance, so plenty of time for the check to arrive and clear. We do get a few phone calls, which we always follow up by e-mail to complete the transaction.
Guests still ask if the calendars on our website are up-to-date, and we tell them, yes that is what we look at to see what is available!
Lately we seem to be doing a lot of business through Air. These reservations tend to be much less far in advance than our usual fare. Air handles the payment, but we collect the taxes and any other fees not handled by Air (e.g. pet fees) upon arrival. We are driving the availability calendar on Air (and other sites) from ResKey using the ical links..
I really can't complain about our present paper booking system and maybe I'm just stirring up problems with Maxine to want to change, but in the long term I think it may help position us for our daughter to assume a larger part in the operation. Hopefully having availability online would cut down on some calls during folks planning stages as well.
The larger part of our guests range from one to several nights, and I suppose most are either families or older folks like us that enjoy a smaller quiet place or Maxine's large garden. Many don't reserve all that far ahead of their desired dates, but some book far ahead to hold a date "in case" and that's where having to put a little "skin in the game" might cut down on some churn in the reservations.
You can't go wrong with online reservations...really...no matter what Maxine thinks... and taking some sort of a deposit is a must. Like you say "skin in the game." Believe me it will really help you for the future.
Maxine has looked after me since she was seventeen so over all those years I've learned (maybe) to push gently as I wouldn't survive by myself. Reservation Key seems simple enough, it would not present her any problems beyond getting over the idea of using a computer. I may get the fun of entering all of the reservations in the beginning, but I'm still in favor of moving forward, as you say, good for the future.

Jim, not only will it help sell your rooms, but the advantage of having all the reports, including the amount of tax you've collected, is a HUGE time saver. Once ResKey is set up and tweaked, Maxine will be able to manage making a reservation in it quite easily. It'll be scary at first, but once you and she get used to it you'll wonder how you ever got buy without it.
Our deposits are 1 night lodging if they're only staying 1 night and 50% for 2 or more nights. It's a bit stiffer than most, but it's because of our location. We charge a $30 cancellation fee to offset any credit card charges we have to pay to charge & cx their card.
Your kids will be taking your property into the future. You really need to help pave the way for their transition..
Yes I'm much in favor of the monthly reports, push go and you're done as opposed to entering the information again to total up the taxes, since that's usually my job I'm in favor of making it easy.
I expect we're a rather simple place compared to most here, even a minor amount as a deposit might be in keeping with most of our rates.

Jim, we take a deposit of 25% of the rent (not including taxes or any other fees, e.g. pet fee) at the time of reservation to confirm the res. In the event of cancellation (at any time), it is in non-refundable unless we succeed in renting the space to someone else -- fortunately cancellations are very rare, for us. We are using ResKey with PayPal for online reservations, but by far most of our reservations are made by e-mail inquiry, with the deposit sent by check or through Square invoicing online. Most of our reservations are made well in advance, so plenty of time for the check to arrive and clear. We do get a few phone calls, which we always follow up by e-mail to complete the transaction.
Guests still ask if the calendars on our website are up-to-date, and we tell them, yes that is what we look at to see what is available!
Lately we seem to be doing a lot of business through Air. These reservations tend to be much less far in advance than our usual fare. Air handles the payment, but we collect the taxes and any other fees not handled by Air (e.g. pet fees) upon arrival. We are driving the availability calendar on Air (and other sites) from ResKey using the ical links..
I really can't complain about our present paper booking system and maybe I'm just stirring up problems with Maxine to want to change, but in the long term I think it may help position us for our daughter to assume a larger part in the operation. Hopefully having availability online would cut down on some calls during folks planning stages as well.
The larger part of our guests range from one to several nights, and I suppose most are either families or older folks like us that enjoy a smaller quiet place or Maxine's large garden. Many don't reserve all that far ahead of their desired dates, but some book far ahead to hold a date "in case" and that's where having to put a little "skin in the game" might cut down on some churn in the reservations.
You can't go wrong with online reservations...really...no matter what Maxine thinks... and taking some sort of a deposit is a must. Like you say "skin in the game." Believe me it will really help you for the future.
Maxine has looked after me since she was seventeen so over all those years I've learned (maybe) to push gently as I wouldn't survive by myself. Reservation Key seems simple enough, it would not present her any problems beyond getting over the idea of using a computer. I may get the fun of entering all of the reservations in the beginning, but I'm still in favor of moving forward, as you say, good for the future.
You don't have to enter anything. Guest making the online reservations input all the needed information. It all goes into the system

We do an one night deposit to hold the room. The rest is due on their arrival along with taxes.

You don't have to enter anything. Guest making the online reservations input all the needed information. It all goes into the system
They will have to enter any phone reservations.

gillumhouse said:
And it takes awhile to train your repeats. Most of mine still call. They don't even know we have a website much less this thing you call online booking!

Hopefully some guests will reserve online, I have talked to folks that asked where to look to book so I'm hoping that this will make it easier on some and maybe add new guests, but there are some that don't have computers, email or credit cards, those folks will still depend on calling. I hope by having the availability on line will cut down on those calls where someone makes several calls before the actual booking.

Hopefully some guests will reserve online, I have talked to folks that asked where to look to book so I'm hoping that this will make it easier on some and maybe add new guests, but there are some that don't have computers, email or credit cards, those folks will still depend on calling. I hope by having the availability on line will cut down on those calls where someone makes several calls before the actual booking.
JimBoone said:
I have a couple of those guests. No email. (We send a snail mail confirm.) No credit card, or they won't enter it 'online'. (Fine, if I know you bring a check or the green stuff.) The no computer one gets me sometimes, as in how did you find us??? 'My son/daughter gave me the number.' Snail mail confirm for them, too.
We do our best to work with the guests. However, if you sound like you're 17 and you don't have a cc I can't take the reservation.
You will find you get a few surprise bookings overnight and that's exciting. Most of your guests, it seems, will still call but having the program will make it easier for you in the long run. Use the notes section of the program to fill in all that repeat guest info you have on the cards.
If you have a few spare moments and your cards are well-sorted, I'd start off by entering repeat guest data ahead of time so you can just click on their names and pull everything in. It might be a relatively easy way for Maxine to learn to use the computer and the software. I'm betting she can type as most girls took typing in school back in the day. (My day included!)

JimBoone said:
I have this on the website under the button you click to make a reservation:
If you would prefer to call to speak with us to make your reservations, the office is open from 9 AM to 7 PM EST.
That's for the people who don't want to enter their cc data on the computer. (I don't always have the heart to tell them that's exactly what I'm going to do with it.)
For my long time repeats I don't even ask for the cc info any longer. They're coming. And if they don't? I've made a small fortune from them already, why would I punish them for having life happen to them?

We get about 50% of our reservations online. However, I think the question may mean how many reservations will you charge the deposit on thru that system.
You can process everything thru authorize, from what I understand. Or you can do the deposit thru authorize and the balance with the credit card machine.
Make the deposit easy on yourself. Either one night or a set amount. We do $100 because it's easy to remember when I'm standing in front of the machine hand entering everything..
Morticia said:
You can process everything thru authorize, from what I understand. Or you can do the deposit thru authorize and the balance with the credit card machine.
ResKey now works with card readers so you can swipe a card and the info (card number, card holder's name, expiration date, type (Visa, MC, etc.)) goes directly into ResKey. So rather than having to pay fees to use both Authorize and a separate credit card machine, you can just do everything through the ResKey/Authorize setup.
I assume you'd pay a slightly lower fee on cards you swipe vs. manually entering the card info into ResKey (which is yet another way to do it so you don't need a separate credit card machine).

gillumhouse said:
And it takes awhile to train your repeats. Most of mine still call. They don't even know we have a website much less this thing you call online booking!
Morticia said:
gillumhouse said:
The repeats are the easiest. You look up their name and add the new reservation. The system fills in all the blanks. Just verify they have haven't moved or changed contact info since their last stay and get their CC info.

gillumhouse said:
Morticia said:
gillumhouse said:
The repeats are the easiest. You look up their name and add the new reservation. The system fills in all the blanks. Just verify they have haven't moved or changed contact info since their last stay and get their CC info.
Yes, I see this as a big advantage, not just the ease of re-entry, but keeping up with repeat guests, sure I have them written down now for the last 20 years assuming I could read our handwriting, but having that information in the computer will be helpful seeing who returns and how often.

Update:
Credit Card Machine: Does chip cards, I guess that's good, but asks too many questions and wastes paper, must use 4 times the paper the old machine did to do the same job. Got machine for first of July.
Reservtion Key: Used internal only for June, will take Maxine a while yet to warm up to the idea of a computer on the desk.
Online Booking: With valuable help from a certain forum member we went live in the last couple of days and have received our first few online bookings. I sure like the idea, but hope my feeble brain is up to the task of keeping it all straight.

Update:
Credit Card Machine: Does chip cards, I guess that's good, but asks too many questions and wastes paper, must use 4 times the paper the old machine did to do the same job. Got machine for first of July.
Reservtion Key: Used internal only for June, will take Maxine a while yet to warm up to the idea of a computer on the desk.
Online Booking: With valuable help from a certain forum member we went live in the last couple of days and have received our first few online bookings. I sure like the idea, but hope my feeble brain is up to the task of keeping it all straight..
What sorts of new questions does your machine ask?

Update:
Online Booking: With valuable help from a certain forum member we went live in the last couple of days and have received our first few online bookings. I sure like the idea, but hope my feeble brain is up to the task of keeping it all straight..
Is it configured to ask for tip? Ours doesn't use more paper.

Update:
Generic said:
It might be because the new machines don't have the carbon copy like the old paper. We have to print twice to give a receipt.

Back