RezNexxus vs Rezkey

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the latest on reservation software? Seems like RezKey is highly regarded..
Well... it all depends on what you want to do with the software. I'm personally constantly pushing the damn edges of software's capabilities in my quest to make more money per stay.
I think that is an important point. We haven't tried to do too much with it, but it does most things well.
Is it hard to transition between an existing software and rezkey?
Mostly it was scary, but not hard. We had help from the REXKEY guru and it was mostly about migrating data. Once it was in place, we were fine.
Thanks! Yes it must be scary to make the transition but good to know it can be done.

I chose Resnexus because it is a comprehensive program--even offering a newsletter/email send out program. I don't know what Rezkey does. For "the full deal" Resnexus charges full freight. I just got rid of $100 Webervations because it ONLY offered reservations and nothing else.
As I've said before, we are for sale. I LIKE that I can pull all sorts of data, compare YTD, find out how many mugs I sold last year, or how much money I made just from ice cream sundaes or boxed soaps.
You usually get what you pay for.
I also ask for changes and upgrades as I see them needed. They are pretty responsive and continually working on it. I used to have InnControl but it drove me nuts. Too difficult; too techy and never WYSIWYG oriented. Wasted my time and money. Couldn't get service on weekends. Wasn't comprehensive to help me manage all aspects in inn income. The lady owning it was very nice and helpful .... that just wasn't enough..
Mountain City host said:
I just got rid of $100 Webervations because it ONLY offered reservations and nothing else.
THAT is the monthly charge now? Oh my! I think they were under $20 when I left them at the end of 2011 and they were not worth that even then.

Was with nexus for the first few years. AI little easier for guests to use than key, but we came to a parting of the ways because I could not get the 3 digit sec # from them. Once i lost the ability to charge for a no-show, and no resolution from nexus, had to leave them. They absolutely honored their ROI. Other than the one deal-breaker, fabulous customer service. Fabulous customer service also from key.

I chose Resnexus because it is a comprehensive program--even offering a newsletter/email send out program. I don't know what Rezkey does. For "the full deal" Resnexus charges full freight. I just got rid of $100 Webervations because it ONLY offered reservations and nothing else.
As I've said before, we are for sale. I LIKE that I can pull all sorts of data, compare YTD, find out how many mugs I sold last year, or how much money I made just from ice cream sundaes or boxed soaps.
I also ask for changes and upgrades as I see them needed. They are pretty responsive and continually working on it. I used to have InnControl but it drove me nuts. Too difficult; too techy and never WYSIWYG oriented. Wasted my time and money. Couldn't get service on weekends. Wasn't comprehensive to help me manage all aspects in inn income. The lady owning it was very nice and helpful .... that just wasn't enough..
Mountain City host said:
I just got rid of $100 Webervations because it ONLY offered reservations and nothing else.
THAT is the monthly charge now? Oh my! I think they were under $20 when I left them at the end of 2011 and they were not worth that even then.
Actually, for 6 rooms or so, about $134/year which was still more than it was worth because I needed and wanted the other features, not just online.
I hear Availability Online is just fine for an inexpensive, simple program. Just get something.... NE US and California are both rather troublesome with few inns having anything. NOBODY calls these days!!

Mountain City host said:
Actually, for 6 rooms or so, about $134/year which was still more than it was worth because I needed and wanted the other features, not just online.
I hear Availability Online is just fine for an inexpensive, simple program. Just get something.... NE US and California are both rather troublesome with few inns having anything. NOBODY calls these days!!
NOBODY calls these days!!
Huh??? 2 of my last 3 reservations (one a repeat) were made with phone calls.

Mountain City host said:
Mountain City host said:
Actually, MY guests are phoning more and using online less, too. I cannot tell if they can't understand the system, think it costs THEM or ME money (some think this), or distrust the whole thing. The ones who want a discount, of course, phone.
I wish the cc people, the pseudo-Google people and the lend-you-money people would NOT call!! (at lunchtime!!)

Mountain City host said:
Mountain City host said:
Actually, MY guests are phoning more and using online less, too. I cannot tell if they can't understand the system, think it costs THEM or ME money (some think this), or distrust the whole thing. The ones who want a discount, of course, phone.
I wish the cc people, the pseudo-Google people and the lend-you-money people would NOT call!! (at lunchtime!!)
Mountain City host said:
Actually, MY guests are phoning more and using online less, too.
I'm getting fewer phone calls, thankfully. Some months my reservations are 100% made online so I don't have to do anything at all. Love it!

Online reservations if made before they arrive on the island. But because satellite service is hit and miss with some providers, I'll either get a booking through a landline or online when they hit a free WiFi zone.
I also find 'more mature' people call. Either they don't understand the online booking or they don't feel comfortable booking online line. Even if it says Secure Site.

When we were at the PAII conference, we spent a lot of time with all of the reservation system vendors. We liked both Think Reservations and Rezstream. We decided to go with Rezstream as they had all the features we wanted while Think Reservations had a few of those features up and coming. The software is cloud based, so we can access it from anywhere. We will start using it live this week, so I guess we will see how it goes when it works live.

When we were at the PAII conference, we spent a lot of time with all of the reservation system vendors. We liked both Think Reservations and Rezstream. We decided to go with Rezstream as they had all the features we wanted while Think Reservations had a few of those features up and coming. The software is cloud based, so we can access it from anywhere. We will start using it live this week, so I guess we will see how it goes when it works live..
Two things...
1. Either channel management or integration with a channel manager. Think only has Booking and TripAdvisor... I get a lot of reservations via the OTAs, so that would cut me off from income in my low months.
2. eCommerce integration... I want to know where my guests are coming from, what they are buying, what works, etc. (Which is why I'm hitting my head up against a wall at the moment.

When we were at the PAII conference, we spent a lot of time with all of the reservation system vendors. We liked both Think Reservations and Rezstream. We decided to go with Rezstream as they had all the features we wanted while Think Reservations had a few of those features up and coming. The software is cloud based, so we can access it from anywhere. We will start using it live this week, so I guess we will see how it goes when it works live..
Two things...
1. Either channel management or integration with a channel manager. Think only has Booking and TripAdvisor... I get a lot of reservations via the OTAs, so that would cut me off from income in my low months.
2. eCommerce integration... I want to know where my guests are coming from, what they are buying, what works, etc. (Which is why I'm hitting my head up against a wall at the moment.
I asked RezKey a few weeks back whether they work with anyone other than MyAllocator. Apparently not. I was interested in another I had read about, and of course cannot remember it offhand. Was described on one of these threads.

Two things...
I asked RezKey a few weeks back whether they work with anyone other than MyAllocator. Apparently not. I was interested in another I had read about, and of course cannot remember it offhand. Was described on one of these threads.
XPDA has a list at http://www.expediaquickconnect.com/content/eqc-system-providers

I'll agree, I think Res Nex is a bit over priced for our small facility (5). A year ago or so, we considered Res Key and actually spent the time setting it up -- the owner was very helpful -- and trying it out. In the end, we felt that the guest interface wasn't as suitable for our market and we decided to stay with Res Nex. When we started out 6 years ago, we tried Weber and Reso ... disaster. Res Nex is a well done, professional service.

I'll agree, I think Res Nex is a bit over priced for our small facility (5). A year ago or so, we considered Res Key and actually spent the time setting it up -- the owner was very helpful -- and trying it out. In the end, we felt that the guest interface wasn't as suitable for our market and we decided to stay with Res Nex. When we started out 6 years ago, we tried Weber and Reso ... disaster. Res Nex is a well done, professional service..
Tom said:
In the end, we felt that the guest interface wasn't as suitable for our market and we decided to stay with Res Nex.
Tom, could you give us an example of what you mean? What is your market and how would one be better than the other?
I am not asking to stir anything up other than the dust in my brain!
wink_smile.gif

I'll agree, I think Res Nex is a bit over priced for our small facility (5). A year ago or so, we considered Res Key and actually spent the time setting it up -- the owner was very helpful -- and trying it out. In the end, we felt that the guest interface wasn't as suitable for our market and we decided to stay with Res Nex. When we started out 6 years ago, we tried Weber and Reso ... disaster. Res Nex is a well done, professional service..
Tom said:
In the end, we felt that the guest interface wasn't as suitable for our market and we decided to stay with Res Nex.
Tom, could you give us an example of what you mean? What is your market and how would one be better than the other?
wink_smile.gif

I recall the version we were evaluating seemed a little ... pedestrian. When we set it up, it had pull down fields for the number of adults and the number of children. We don't accept children (unless by arrangement) and we couldn't get rid of the number of children box. Although the default is "0", having the box made it look like we accepted children which we know is a negative for some guests. I think there were difficulties implementing special event pricing (e.g. football weekends).
This was back a bit and the features may have been improved. DW (aka Tante Picsou) did most of the evaluation and she thought Resnex worth the extra money.

Tom said:
wink_smile.gif

I recall the version we were evaluating seemed a little ... pedestrian. When we set it up, it had pull down fields for the number of adults and the number of children. We don't accept children (unless by arrangement) and we couldn't get rid of the number of children box. Although the default is "0", having the box made it look like we accepted children which we know is a negative for some guests. I think there were difficulties implementing special event pricing (e.g. football weekends).
This was back a bit and the features may have been improved. DW (aka Tante Picsou) did most of the evaluation and she thought Resnex worth the extra money.
Don't know how long ago this was, but the Children box does not show on RK rooms if not applicable and set up that way. Perhaps in the past... but not an issue now.

Back