Screening

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this forum question quite interesting. Some people feel they are a hotel. Me, not so much. Just a private home opened to guests, which probably makes a difference. I brought up the subject over breakfast this morning, knowing one of the quests was a retired policewoman as well as a frequent visitor to B&B's all over Texas. She mentioned the responsibility of innkeepers to protect their guests from criminal elements, etc, and welcomed the screening process herself. The only question that bothers her is, "What are you/will you be in town for?" That, she feels, is an invasion of privacy but she gets asked it a lot. (Not from us, I might add.) I know I'm not going to change opinions here but at least I present another point of view. P.S. This is their fifth visit with us and they brought us a lovely, wrapped gift when they came and presented Mac with a new coozie when they left. Sweet!.
The only question that bothers her is, "What are you/will you be in town for?"
I do sometimes ask if they are "coming for something special" - not because I am being nosy, but to be able to make that anniversary more special or to suggest other things to see and do during that stay in addition to what they are coming for. Often it is just a getaway but many times I have been able to suggest things on the way in or reasons to extend their stay.
There is no way I am going "screen" my guests - I take them on the same trust they are taking me. Trust and respect is a 2-way street and I like it like that. He who does not trust his guests should not be taking guests.
He who does not trust his guests should not be taking guests.
Wow. I'll shutter my doors immediately.
Do you NOT think guests check you out? Trip Advisor? Goo gle? Referrals? They aren't taking you on trust. They have looked you up in some way. Or heard something about you. If they haven't. why do we care what past guests have said about us? How many bubbles we get? Nobody sees it. Nobody checks us out.
Read Tom's comment - it was NOT directed at you. That is what I was referring to with that reply.
When they check us out on TA, they are checking the accommodation, service, business aspects. I do not believe they are checking us out as people or personally.
But it was in a reply to my post. Verbage was a little over the top for an exchange of ideas in a business forum.
And all I'm doing is checking out that future guests are who they say they are. I don't have time or inclination to do more than that and never said I did. "Stalking" was labeled elsewhere.
?? Referring to my comment ?
My comment "I won't reiterate the wise comments of Morticia ... " was directed at the original post, as it says in the header. My comments go toward the series of posts undersea has made. To me as a 6 year innkeeper, they show worry about things that are not too problematical in practice.
I will disagree with the statement that the innkeeper has responsibility to protect guests from criminal elements. The innkeeper only has a responsibility to make a reasonable effort to protect the safety of his guests as required by law and in the common practice of hospitality. That means we have interconnected smoke detectors per code, fire extinguishers on every floor, a sprinkler system, night lighting, deadbolt locks on the bedrooms, locked exterior doors and an innkeeper on premises at night.
I can exclude or eject someone who I think is a problem, but I don't have the tools, the legal access to databases, or the training to allow me to detect in advance "criminal elements" who may wish to visit my inn.
In the terms of Cambs - this whole thing is bollixed.
Tom - I was AGREEING with your previous post re someone who should not be in the innkeeping business - THAT was the reference to you.
MAC - I was responding to YOU with the sentence I did the bold & Italics that yes, I DO sometimes ask if they are coming for something special.
And yes, my guests are trusting I am not a rip-off person or worse - they checked TA to try to make sure my B & B is up to snuff. I in return, trust them to arrive on the date they said with a valid cc, check, or cash.
Note to self: Never try to reply to 2 people in one reply.

I found this forum question quite interesting. Some people feel they are a hotel. Me, not so much. Just a private home opened to guests, which probably makes a difference. I brought up the subject over breakfast this morning, knowing one of the quests was a retired policewoman as well as a frequent visitor to B&B's all over Texas. She mentioned the responsibility of innkeepers to protect their guests from criminal elements, etc, and welcomed the screening process herself. The only question that bothers her is, "What are you/will you be in town for?" That, she feels, is an invasion of privacy but she gets asked it a lot. (Not from us, I might add.) I know I'm not going to change opinions here but at least I present another point of view. P.S. This is their fifth visit with us and they brought us a lovely, wrapped gift when they came and presented Mac with a new coozie when they left. Sweet!.
I do sometimes ask if they are "coming for something special" - not because I am being nosy, but to be able to make that anniversary more special or to suggest other things to see and do during that stay in addition to what they are coming for. Often it is just a getaway but many times I have been able to suggest things on the way in or reasons to extend their stay.
There is no way I am going "screen" my guests - I take them on the same trust they are taking me. Trust and respect is a 2-way street and I like it like that. He who does not trust his guests should not be taking guests.
Do you NOT think guests check you out? Trip Advisor? Goo gle? Referrals? They aren't taking you on trust. They have looked you up in some way. Or heard something about you. If they haven't. why do we care what past guests have said about us? How many bubbles we get? Nobody sees it. Nobody checks us out.
Read Tom's comment - it was NOT directed at you. That is what I was referring to with that reply.
When they check us out on TA, they are checking the accommodation, service, business aspects. I do not believe they are checking us out as people or personally.
But it was in a reply to my post. Verbage was a little over the top for an exchange of ideas in a business forum.
And all I'm doing is checking out that future guests are who they say they are. I don't have time or inclination to do more than that and never said I did. "Stalking" was labeled elsewhere.
My comment "I won't reiterate the wise comments of Morticia ... " was directed at the original post, as it says in the header. My comments go toward the series of posts undersea has made. To me as a 6 year innkeeper, they show worry about things that are not too problematical in practice.
I will disagree with the statement that the innkeeper has responsibility to protect guests from criminal elements. The innkeeper only has a responsibility to make a reasonable effort to protect the safety of his guests as required by law and in the common practice of hospitality. That means we have interconnected smoke detectors per code, fire extinguishers on every floor, a sprinkler system, night lighting, deadbolt locks on the bedrooms, locked exterior doors and an innkeeper on premises at night.
I can exclude or eject someone who I think is a problem, but I don't have the tools, the legal access to databases, or the training to allow me to detect in advance "criminal elements" who may wish to visit my inn.
It would be much less confusing if a few stopped being self appointed judges and offense taking beings. It is a surprisingly juvenile approach for those in the hospitality industry.

It would be much less confusing if a few stopped being self appointed judges and offense taking beings. It is a surprisingly juvenile approach for those in the hospitality industry.
undersea said:
Take us as we are - human.
We police ourselves and don't need to be told how to behave. Thank you very much.

After 20 years in the trenches plus another 10 working hospitality as part-time in addition to my full-time job, I have EARNED the position of self-appointed judge thank you very much. If certain people would LISTEN to those who others have designated "The Wise Ones" rather than ignoring answers and pontificating, it would not be necessary to "judge" which BTW is being done so newbies coming along will NOT take the wrong advice. This site is looked at as an educational resource for those interested in LEARNING.
Dust oneself off if the shoe fits, this one will not waste time with an answer in the future.

After 20 years in the trenches plus another 10 working hospitality as part-time in addition to my full-time job, I have EARNED the position of self-appointed judge thank you very much. If certain people would LISTEN to those who others have designated "The Wise Ones" rather than ignoring answers and pontificating, it would not be necessary to "judge" which BTW is being done so newbies coming along will NOT take the wrong advice. This site is looked at as an educational resource for those interested in LEARNING.
Dust oneself off if the shoe fits, this one will not waste time with an answer in the future.
I have heard everything that has been said. You have earned the right to have knowledge. You have not earned the right to insult and judge and label and tell others what they should say and believe. This isn't Stalinist Russia. I find much of your judgments as shallow and incorrect, and the very pontifications of which you speak.
It is a site for learning but that requires the "teachers" to also be open to learning. 20 years in the trenches etc. can cause one to gain wisdom and age like a fine wine, or it can cause one to become self-important and judgmental and age like vinegar. Snarking is a fine example of this. It is the opposite of graceful hospitality, in any setting.

I have heard everything that has been said. You have earned the right to have knowledge. You have not earned the right to insult and judge and label and tell others what they should say and believe. This isn't Stalinist Russia. I find much of your judgments as shallow and incorrect, and the very pontifications of which you speak.
It is a site for learning but that requires the "teachers" to also be open to learning. 20 years in the trenches etc. can cause one to gain wisdom and age like a fine wine, or it can cause one to become self-important and judgmental and age like vinegar. Snarking is a fine example of this. It is the opposite of graceful hospitality, in any setting.
Let's have an example of something you have shared. Something everyone can learn from. You seem to feel we should be learning from your examples.
You've asked a million questions yet have offered not ONE piece of advice. Without a day's experience in running your own B&B you've ridiculed the advice you've been given.
Your contribution is mostly trying to control attitudes you don't like by comparing posters to long dead regimes.
Your experience is in renting apartments. When trying to expand into other areas of expertise listen to the answers given to your questions, form your opinions and use what you find valuable.
It's OK if you think this is Stalin's Russia. At least you're free to move on if you find it too oppressive.
Likewise, if the folks here find your comments oppressive and demeaning they are free to let you muddle around figuring things out on your own.

Haven't ever screened. In 12 years have had one guest leave without paying and a handful I wouldn't care to see again. The bnb crowd is not the rental market. One other bit of advice keep you prices at the level of the guests you want, it weeds out riff raff.

I do not screen any guests but they are informed of any policies we have and need to follow those rules. I have not had a problem in 10 years with a guest that has booked in advance. Some have been PITAs but nothing horrible that I remember. The more problematic guest is the last minute same day or walk-in. I had one who argued with me about the room and rate in front of other guests. I told him we were not a match and sent him on his way. The other guy who was a last minute was mentally unstable and had to be taken away in a police car.

Honestly, with a Degree in Hospitality Management, 30 Years experience in the Hospitality Industry, another 15 years as a Landlord, and going on 10 years as an Innkeeper with over 13000 guests, I have never heard of such a thing as pre-screening your guests at a B&B advertised to the public. You certainly will get negative feedback on Trip Advisor, etc, if you do reject folks and turn off many potential guests based upon principles of privacy, elitism, etc. Seems to me it's borderline discrimination unless verifiable just cause.
My 2 cents worth of experience...

Let's have an example of something you have shared. Something everyone can learn from. You seem to feel we should be learning from your examples.
You've asked a million questions yet have offered not ONE piece of advice. Without a day's experience in running your own B&B you've ridiculed the advice you've been given.
Your contribution is mostly trying to control attitudes you don't like by comparing posters to long dead regimes.
Your experience is in renting apartments. When trying to expand into other areas of expertise listen to the answers given to your questions, form your opinions and use what you find valuable.
It's OK if you think this is Stalin's Russia. At least you're free to move on if you find it too oppressive.
Likewise, if the folks here find your comments oppressive and demeaning they are free to let you muddle around figuring things out on your own.
You have been marvelous in your feedback.
I would challenge you to show me in a where I clearly and intentionally ridiculed anyone's advice, unless they attacked or took advantage of others. Not an opinion of ridiculing, but an obvious dressing down of someone in an improper manner.
I have shared multiple items. Including things like the discussion on this and other threads. I posted a clear solution to the TV volume problem (hotel mode in many TV models). I raised the newer technology that combines a camera with the door alarm, that allows people to reply to someone at the door on their smartphone even when they are away from the property. I have discussed what I am trying to do from a code, fire, safety, ADA point of view, the limitations and the issues being faced. I have participated in numerous discussions in technology, problems faced by newer innkeepers, and many aspects of day to day issues. I have a number of ideas, but my background is in a different domain. I have 3+ years as a business owner as well ($1 million in annual sales) as well as 15 years as a multiple property landlord. I cannot be an expert in B&Bs, but I have my own knowledge and I am trying to learn and contribute.
It is not proper to throw Stalin's Russia back in my face. I don't think you carefully read my post above which includes this. The anger above is against approx. 3 people who in my opinion keep trying to control what I am allowed to say in different threads. There are about 7-8+ clear examples of this. A few of my posts have been judged, insulted, belittled and twisted. I ignored most. Just because someone is a longterm poster doesn't give them the right to flame me based on their opinion or their centuries of brilliant experience. That is what anonymous yelpsters do against businesses, and it is never appropriate.

Honestly, with a Degree in Hospitality Management, 30 Years experience in the Hospitality Industry, another 15 years as a Landlord, and going on 10 years as an Innkeeper with over 13000 guests, I have never heard of such a thing as pre-screening your guests at a B&B advertised to the public. You certainly will get negative feedback on Trip Advisor, etc, if you do reject folks and turn off many potential guests based upon principles of privacy, elitism, etc. Seems to me it's borderline discrimination unless verifiable just cause.
My 2 cents worth of experience....
...and a valuable contribution.

I do not screen any guests but they are informed of any policies we have and need to follow those rules. I have not had a problem in 10 years with a guest that has booked in advance. Some have been PITAs but nothing horrible that I remember. The more problematic guest is the last minute same day or walk-in. I had one who argued with me about the room and rate in front of other guests. I told him we were not a match and sent him on his way. The other guy who was a last minute was mentally unstable and had to be taken away in a police car..
....and this too is valuable.
We are very firm with last minute walk-ups. We don't do anything to actively screen them, but we are very quick to provide the full array of alternatives and encourage them to select what fits best for them. This feels like the appropriate customer service approach and it avoids buyers remorse.
Almost always that ends up being somewhere. Once in a blue moon, we get someone that thinks $350 a night is a perfect fit and how fortunate they were to find us out in the sticks, but mostly drive-ups just need a place to sleep.

I do not screen any guests but they are informed of any policies we have and need to follow those rules. I have not had a problem in 10 years with a guest that has booked in advance. Some have been PITAs but nothing horrible that I remember. The more problematic guest is the last minute same day or walk-in. I had one who argued with me about the room and rate in front of other guests. I told him we were not a match and sent him on his way. The other guy who was a last minute was mentally unstable and had to be taken away in a police car..
We are very firm with last minute walk-ups. We don't do anything to actively screen them, but we are very quick to provide the full array of alternatives and encourage them to select what fits best for them. This feels like the appropriate customer service approach and it avoids buyers remorse.
Almost always that ends up being somewhere. Once in a blue moon, we get someone that thinks $350 a night is a perfect fit and how fortunate they were to find us out in the sticks, but mostly drive-ups just need a place to sleep.
happykeeper said:
Quite true that walk ins generally just want a place to sleep. Some of them start ringing the bell at 10am but then decide they'll 'look around' when they hear the price.
Like you, I have a list of places that might suit better. Win win. Mostly young euros who aren't expecting high prices at a B&B. They just want in out of the weather, a hot shower and something, anything for breakfast.

happykeeper said:
Quite true that walk ins generally just want a place to sleep. Some of them start ringing the bell at 10am but then decide they'll 'look around' when they hear the price.
Like you, I have a list of places that might suit better. Win win. Mostly young euros who aren't expecting high prices at a B&B. They just want in out of the weather, a hot shower and something, anything for breakfast.
Wouldn't you think this thread shows how important it is to learn the nuances that separate great practices from bad ones? I bet almost every innkeeper on here is highly successful with the strategies they employ, yet the method and the means can diverge dramatically from one to the next. Before you know it, we're talking semantics.

My 2 cents worth of experience....
Momma Smurf said:
My 2 cents worth of experience...
My sentiments exactly.

Getting back to the subject:
A key difference between apartment rentals and B&B is that a rental over 28 days (or a month) becomes protected by a ton of renter laws. Governing law is way on the renter's side and getting rid of a troublesome renter is very difficult. There is an Air BnB story about this subject out there - renter moved in, wouldn't move out. With short term rentals - i.e. B&B - governing law is really more on the innkeeper's side. A problem? call the sheriff and he'll take the bad boy away.
With a rental property, you get minor turnover, so you need to check maybe a few people a year; with B&B there are hundreds. A renter expects to be checked, provides information and sometimes pays a fee for it; a guest does not expect it. As a practicality, you just don't have the time and resources, nor is it standard industry practice to screen customers. And, I think the consensus here is, it isn't needed.

Back