Service dog my arse

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husband came to the office to let us know that his wife has a ser vice dog. He then told me they love to ride bicycles all over. I asked how the dog rides with them. He said that no they leave the dog in the room and also when they go out to dinner? Hmmm
A while back we had a couple with a service animal that rode in a pack on the Harley with them. The ser vice an imal was there to alert her for seizures. Hmmm.
Dogs for seizures I believe is true
Undersea, I believe what Landmark was pointing out is that if the dog was for that purpose, the dog should be with them at all times.

Same with the other stay. A service dog should be with their person at all times. At dinner, etc.
Copperhead said:
Undersea, I believe what Landmark was pointing out is that if the dog was for that purpose, the dog should be with them at all times.

Same with the other stay. A service dog should be with their person at all times. At dinner, etc.
thumbs_up.gif
Dog should be with owner at all times. Why I had to have the dogs with me 24 / 7..... one 8 week puppy dived into the tub!

Paperwork on this matter means little. You can buy documents on the internet saying you dog is a "support dog." They even sell little vests stating the fact.
The two key questions you are allowed to ask, when the aid the service dog provides isn't evident:
  • "Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? (Note you cannot ask what the disability is). If the answer is no, you may exclude.
  • "What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?" If they cannot answer this, you can exclude.
An "emotional support dog" is not covered under the ADA. The exception to this is a dog that is trained to calm someone with PTSD.
Even if a dog is a valid service dog under the ADA definitions, you do have the right to exclude the dog under two circumstances:
1) The dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or
(2) The dog is not housebroken..
One of the problems with the law is that without a nationalized way of certifying the animals, anyone who knows how to work the system can get their dog in anywhere as a "service dog." I have a guest who checked in today who knew to answer the first question as "Yes, it serves to help me with a disability," and "The dog is trained to alert me when I stand for too long a period of time because I can pass out if I do."
That's it. I have to accept her and her animal as a service animal under the ADA. She's passed the two-question test.
Now, when she arrived, her dog was leaping up and down, and had to be restrained to keep from leaping onto me. That tells me it's probably not a true service dog. The fact that it was wearing a vest with patches from one of those "buy a vest and get your dog in anywhere" websites like this one (https://www.officialservicedogregistry.com/register-your-dog/?gclid=CKXG3KngkscCFZKRHwodIXIPrA ) makes me even more suspicious.
Sadly, legally I can't challenge her without running risks. Fortunately for me, versus other B&Bs, most of my buildings are pet-friendly (but of course she can have run of the non-pet main house thanks to the ADA).
I agree with comments from a previous thread: Until the organizations that train LEGITIMATE service dogs get something passed that allows us to know the real dogs from the charlatans who are taking advantage of the system, there's not much to do.

Paperwork on this matter means little. You can buy documents on the internet saying you dog is a "support dog." They even sell little vests stating the fact.
The two key questions you are allowed to ask, when the aid the service dog provides isn't evident:
  • "Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? (Note you cannot ask what the disability is). If the answer is no, you may exclude.
  • "What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?" If they cannot answer this, you can exclude.
An "emotional support dog" is not covered under the ADA. The exception to this is a dog that is trained to calm someone with PTSD.
Even if a dog is a valid service dog under the ADA definitions, you do have the right to exclude the dog under two circumstances:
1) The dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or
One of the problems with the law is that without a nationalized way of certifying the animals, anyone who knows how to work the system can get their dog in anywhere as a "service dog." I have a guest who checked in today who knew to answer the first question as "Yes, it serves to help me with a disability," and "The dog is trained to alert me when I stand for too long a period of time because I can pass out if I do."
That's it. I have to accept her and her animal as a service animal under the ADA. She's passed the two-question test.
Now, when she arrived, her dog was leaping up and down, and had to be restrained to keep from leaping onto me. That tells me it's probably not a true service dog. The fact that it was wearing a vest with patches from one of those "buy a vest and get your dog in anywhere" websites like this one (https://www.officialservicedogregistry.com/register-your-dog/?gclid=CKXG3KngkscCFZKRHwodIXIPrA ) makes me even more suspicious.
Sadly, legally I can't challenge her without running risks. Fortunately for me, versus other B&Bs, most of my buildings are pet-friendly (but of course she can have run of the non-pet main house thanks to the ADA).
I agree with comments from a previous thread: Until the organizations that train LEGITIMATE service dogs get something passed that allows us to know the real dogs from the charlatans who are taking advantage of the system, there's not much to do.
True, but when the dog gets disruptive (leaping up and down), you can eject him.

If the dog is disruptive you can ask both of them to leave. Citing the same rules she is flouting.

As others have said, a disruptive animal is not a service dog. Take a video or 2 then ask them to leave siting the ADA policy.

I still have many questions regarding the ADA rules and how state and federal facilities have signs that stay 'only dogs assisting the blind' are allowed.

Those like the guest you are speaking of are disrespecting those that are indeed disabled and need the trained assistance.

As others have said, a disruptive animal is not a service dog. Take a video or 2 then ask them to leave siting the ADA policy.

I still have many questions regarding the ADA rules and how state and federal facilities have signs that stay 'only dogs assisting the blind' are allowed.

Those like the guest you are speaking of are disrespecting those that are indeed disabled and need the trained assistance.
Correct. As said, disruptive dogs are in the same ADA regulations, and can be ejected with no recourse to the owner.

Back