serving wine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gee, why are so many people so uptight about alcohol? Neighbours actually complaining? Wow..
Jon Sable said:
Gee, why are so many people so uptight about alcohol? Neighbours actually complaining? Wow.
I know, right? Remember the old days when drinking was fun? Check out any old Frank Sinatra movie and see how people used to just drink.

Gee, why are so many people so uptight about alcohol? Neighbours actually complaining? Wow..
Jon Sable said:
Gee, why are so many people so uptight about alcohol? Neighbours actually complaining? Wow.
I am on both sides of the fence on this one. No, not strattling it.
Both my parents are alcoholics. and there are worse stories than that, not for this time and place. Not everyone can have a simple glass of wine.

Jon Sable said:
Here because this is where Prohibition started in the states. Some people still haven't gotten over it.

I would need a license. I thought about it briefly once. Nah! Not worth it.
I used to give all guests WV made goblets and splits of WV cider. We have a friend who is AA and I was not about to embarrass anyone nor enable either. Then the goblet maker closed. So now it is only weddings and anniversaries or celebrations (we found our house!) that get cider & goblets.
If guests do BYOB, I provide wine glasses.

Jon Sable said:
Both my parents are alcoholics. and there are worse stories than that, not for this time and place. Not everyone can have a simple glass of wine.
Oh, I more than realize that, but I don't see how calling the cops because someone else is giving away a bottle of wine is going to really solve the problem at all.
Maybe you should do what we do, tax it to hell. It's so expensive people can go bankrupt trying to get drunk. Just to give you an idea, the cheapest 40 oz of vodka is just under $30 around here.. and a bottle of the French stuff in that size will set you back $70. A the cheapest plonk of red will be over $7. And from France, just under $10. Even stuff from your side of the border is just under $10 a bottle for the cheap stuff.

Jon Sable said:
Here because this is where Prohibition started in the states. Some people still haven't gotten over it.
Made lots of rich people over here :)

Jon Sable said:
Oh, I more than realize that, but I don't see how calling the cops because someone else is giving away a bottle of wine is going to really solve the problem at all.
Maybe you should do what we do, tax it to hell. It's so expensive people can go bankrupt trying to get drunk. Just to give you an idea, the cheapest 40 oz of vodka is just under $30 around here.. and a bottle of the French stuff in that size will set you back $70. A the cheapest plonk of red will be over $7. And from France, just under $10. Even stuff from your side of the border is just under $10 a bottle for the cheap stuff.
Most people don't call the cops because someone is giving away booze. They call for the same reason people call and complain about airbnb.
If I had to jump thru hoops to get licensed or I can't give it away then neither can the other guy.
Neighbors who started a cooking class got ratted out because someone else had already been told they couldn't do the same thing.

Jon Sable said:
in the UK a cheap can of beer is 50 cents and cheap vodca is about $8 - and thats if its not home made by lithuanians in a wheelie bin (im not joking)

Jon Sable said:
in the UK a cheap can of beer is 50 cents and cheap vodca is about $8 - and thats if its not home made by lithuanians in a wheelie bin (im not joking)
Joey Camb said:
We call them hillbillies you call them lithuanians in a wheelie bin...homemade hooch still the same.
shades_smile.gif

Jon Sable said:
Cheap beer is about double that price here and it's really the bad stuff. The ads call it "drinkable"

I would not serve the wine or any liquor to my guests- if they have to much, I may be liable for their injury. It is hard to get here B&B insurance as it is. If I wanted to serve the alcohol they most likely would double my rates- we already $5K

We could not do either here. Tried to host a business function and serve wine donated by a local winery - nope, against the law. Need a state permit and a city permit and a county permit and a person with a pouring license to serve, etc. smh

Arkansas' rules are much like Maddie's. You can't even give it away, if you charge them for the room. It's considered that the money for the room includes the wine, and you can only make that "sale" if you have a license.
It's all about taxes. If you give it away, the state gets no tax on a sale, so they forbid it.
I cannot tell you to "just go for it". You have to make that decision on your own. If you ask the state, they'll probably say no. If you don't ask....
the tax argument they have is ridiculous. We, the innkeeper have paid the tax when we bought it. We buy it retail, so full taxation. Why would they be able to double dip?
When I was planning to apply for a B&B alcohol permit (our state has a separate permit for B&B's, allowing beer and wine only) I attended the mandated one-day class in Little Rock on the rules. We were told that all private clubs here, including B&Bs, are required to buy our stock at a private, licensed liquor store, pay full price including sales tax, then tax it again when we sell it at the B&B.
A guy raised his hand and said, "But isn't that double-dipping? We've already paid tax on it once."
The class instructor said, "Cry me a river. Next question."
They make the laws, and the law here is that it's taxed twice. Don't like it, you don't have to apply for a permit.
I know you don't live here but that sounds very familiar!
Plus, here we have to tell the guests exactly where they can imbibe, they can only imbibe what they've bought here and i have to buy MY wine thru the distributor, too.
And, your distributor is assigned. You can only go there. Ours is 30 minutes away. There is one 2 blocks away but that's not mine.
That was years ago, maybe it's all changed but I don't want to be the alcohol police. Bad enough I have to police the parking lot!
Wow, this is nuts! Seriously, they even tell you exactly where you have to buy from?? I had been throwing around the idea of looking into what my state requires in case we wanted to start offering it for gift or sale, but forget it! I'll just stick with sparkling cider...

Back