Slider images

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx for the link. These (except #10 - the Grid) are really designs that skip the slider, rather than offer an alternative that still has that effect - cycling through a small set of powerful images.
For a B&B, I was envisioning a slider that would have one great shot per room (and maybe one with sample breakfast). I understand the SEO hit, but I still would prefer this. Maybe the grid is a possibility.
I cannot believe there is not a way to have a slider element that leaves the SEO of the home page of the site untouched. Some clever designer must have dreamed something up...

Thx for the link. These (except #10 - the Grid) are really designs that skip the slider, rather than offer an alternative that still has that effect - cycling through a small set of powerful images.
For a B&B, I was envisioning a slider that would have one great shot per room (and maybe one with sample breakfast). I understand the SEO hit, but I still would prefer this. Maybe the grid is a possibility.
I cannot believe there is not a way to have a slider element that leaves the SEO of the home page of the site untouched. Some clever designer must have dreamed something up...
Please don't misinterpret these sort of articles.
Sliders don't cause SEO penalties or losing anything in terms of SEO. That article refers to websites that have additional content attached to each "slide", and in some cases they wrap that slide content in wrong tags, such as <h1> without a parent <article> tag.
So no, carousels are NOT bad for SEO, and I dare you to prove me wrong :)

Sliders don't cause SEO penalties or losing anything in terms of SEO. That article refers to websites that have additional content attached to each "slide", and in some cases they wrap that slide content in wrong tags, such as <h1> without a parent <article> tag.
That should have been made clear in the article. If all of your text is in a photo, it does no good. Especially if no tags are used.

That should have been made clear in the article. If all of your text is in a photo, it does no good. Especially if no tags are used.
Yes text on a photo gets really doesn't get you anything. For SEO you have to have text on your page....though who knows what the next algorithm from the Big G will bring...we'll we know about mobile now..don't we :) I just thought it was a nice article with a different aspect on doing things. I actually LOVE giant HERO images on the home page.

Yes text on a photo gets really doesn't get you anything. For SEO you have to have text on your page....though who knows what the next algorithm from the Big G will bring...we'll we know about mobile now..don't we :) I just thought it was a nice article with a different aspect on doing things. I actually LOVE giant HERO images on the home page.
The one they focused on is truly a very good hero image. That whole campaign was well designed.

I just want to put some input here, but...
Sliders hurt your conversions
Moving images such as sliders, especially sliders with moving text and images really hurt the customer experience. It takes their attention away from whatever they are concentrating on and annoys a lot of people.
There is a part of your brain that reacts to movements especially in your peripheral vision, this causes that fight or flight instinct. Both not good.

Moving images such as sliders, especially sliders with moving text and images really hurt the customer experience. It takes their attention away from whatever they are concentrating on and annoys a lot of people.
There is a part of your brain that reacts to movements especially in your peripheral vision, this causes that fight or flight instinct. Both not good..
As long as you can scroll away from the moving images, not so much. If they follow, that's bad.

There is a part of your brain that reacts to movements especially in your peripheral vision, this causes that fight or flight instinct. Both not good..
Evan from Buuqit said:
There is a part of your brain that reacts to movements especially in your peripheral vision, this causes that fight or flight instinct. Both not good.
I would like to hear more about this. I know there is a "slider near me" that has big text across it, forcing you to read and follow vs a relaxed welcome...here are some lovely scenes inviting you to stay with us.

I have some "slider" carousels on my site, BUT they are not on auto, so no movement. Rather, the left and right arrows are there should the viewer wish to scroll through the "slides" (without leaving the page they are on). I am actually using the carousels for text (or text with an image) rather than just images; and the way the script works, all of the text from all of the "slides" is there on the page for the search bots to read and (presumably) index. So do you all think this is effective?

Our new website uses full screen sliders in groups of three on several pages. Honestly, it has been tearing up the track in conversion despite mediocre loading time and SEO.
What it is:
Clean, easy to navigate, with a linear progression for planning and GREAT photography.

Every video has movement, yet they increasingly appear.
Blanket statements without solid tested industry proof really are not something to rely on. That is just someone's opinion

Evan from Buuqit said:
I would like to hear more about this. I know there is a "slider near me" that has big text across it, forcing you to read and follow vs a relaxed welcome...here are some lovely scenes inviting you to stay with us.
If they hurt conversions, nobody would use them! And EVERYONE USES THEM...just look at the big boys...
You of course have to be mindful of how many and load times and photos MUST BE WONDERFUL!! I will continue to use them as that is what folks love to see. Moderation in all things :)

Every video has movement, yet they increasingly appear.
Blanket statements without solid tested industry proof really are not something to rely on. That is just someone's opinion
Video is something you are looking at and totally not what we are talking about here, talking about video.. Autoplaying videos is terrible for much of the same reason as moving sliders.
You may think this is my personal opinion and that will be your personal opinion.
But here's some articles to prove my point, a quick google search is easy for me here:
http://searchengineland.com/homepage-sliders-are-bad-for-seo-usability-163496
http://unbounce.com/conversion-rate-optimization/conversion-killing-tactics/
http://conversionxl.com/dont-use-automatic-image-sliders-or-carousels-ignore-the-fad/
http://marketingland.com/rotating-banners-image-sliders-kill-conversions-89984
https://yoast.com/opinion-on-sliders/
If you have any proof of why sliders are great then please, let me know :)

Back