so ... we may get a blizzard

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is funny listening to the "news" on the radio and the people they are talking to about the storm. One would think they do not get snow in New England or Boston.
Although in my location (foothills) I measure snow in inches, just 50 miles from me they measure it in feet. It is WINTER!! I got DH out of the house for a while yesterday (he was going stir crazy - had not been out for a week) so we are OK for a while. He does not go out when there is snow or ice because of danger of falling. If he breaks his left leg, it will be amputated as there will be nothing to heal..
If you have never experienced hurricane force winds with 2 ft of blinding drifing snow then it is easy to dismiss a storm of this magnitude...but not wise if you have to live through it. Couple the wind and snow with the Atlantic pounding the coast and flooding the low lying areas and you have more than your usual WINTER snow storm.
So far we have a mix of sleet and rain with heavy winds...nothing we have not often experienced during a winter Nor'easter storm. But temps are dropping and the wind is picking up. Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll blow further west (poor Boston!).
Not dismissing how bad it is/is going to be. But you know how the talking heads are. If it wasn't bad enough they would make it sound like it was much worse.
Yes I agree. Sure it will be bad, but these days the media HYPE HYPE HYPE. No wonder people get in a panic. I remember the '78 storm. I was in grad school. Last week of class...headed to Hawaii the very next week. Ah those were the days :)

It is funny listening to the "news" on the radio and the people they are talking to about the storm. One would think they do not get snow in New England or Boston.
Although in my location (foothills) I measure snow in inches, just 50 miles from me they measure it in feet. It is WINTER!! I got DH out of the house for a while yesterday (he was going stir crazy - had not been out for a week) so we are OK for a while. He does not go out when there is snow or ice because of danger of falling. If he breaks his left leg, it will be amputated as there will be nothing to heal..
If you have never experienced hurricane force winds with 2 ft of blinding drifing snow then it is easy to dismiss a storm of this magnitude...but not wise if you have to live through it. Couple the wind and snow with the Atlantic pounding the coast and flooding the low lying areas and you have more than your usual WINTER snow storm.
So far we have a mix of sleet and rain with heavy winds...nothing we have not often experienced during a winter Nor'easter storm. But temps are dropping and the wind is picking up. Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll blow further west (poor Boston!).
Not dismissing how bad it is/is going to be. But you know how the talking heads are. If it wasn't bad enough they would make it sound like it was much worse.
Well we don't watch much TV so we have not had the "pleasure" of all the storm angst. After listening to all the election hype I can only imagine the beating of breasts when a large storm like this makes the news.
And yes, we NEers are a tough lot....weathering most storms with advanced planning and common sense...But I can also say that there are some pretty stupid people out there who drive around in the worst of storms, putting themselves and emergency workers at risk for the sake of an interesting look at the sea. I remember one couple whose car got blocked in by a tree that came down across the nearby parking lot as they were out and about during a hurricane. They were lucky that the power lines that also came down missed them.

Well we don't watch much TV so we have not had the "pleasure" of all the storm angst. After listening to all the election hype I can only imagine the beating of breasts when a large storm like this makes the news.
And yes, we NEers are a tough lot....weathering most storms with advanced planning and common sense...But I can also say that there are some pretty stupid people out there who drive around in the worst of storms, putting themselves and emergency workers at risk for the sake of an interesting look at the sea. I remember one couple whose car got blocked in by a tree that came down across the nearby parking lot as they were out and about during a hurricane. They were lucky that the power lines that also came down missed them.
There is only one cure for stupid people and it is illegal to help them get there. The sad thing is the responders that get "taken" in the process to trying to rescue the stupid people or their animals that the stupid people took out when they should have stayed at home. I have no sympathy for people who climb mountains, hike in conditions where there is a warning, and people who pay no attention to weather conditions when sailing. Then there are the idiots who MUST snowmobile in a storm, snowmobile across a "frozen" lake, - you get my drift. The people they endanger (and kill) because of their self-centered "I can do it" or "I want to do it" makes me want to scream.

Well, yes, we got some snow...
front%20porch1.JPG

I just shared a B&B in Freeport on FB who has guest's cars buried outside. Is it still snowing? Haven't had a chance to watch the weather channel. and another on another FB page. WOW!

I just shared a B&B in Freeport on FB who has guest's cars buried outside. Is it still snowing? Haven't had a chance to watch the weather channel. and another on another FB page. WOW!.
Here in the South it is the tornadic activity that we get from these storms that freaks me out. It is totally unpredictable...
Terrible damage in MS the other day due to a large tornado.
We are having tons of rain and are under a flash flood watch....

Back