Social Media Metrics and ROI

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things
First Social Media Examiner Michael Stelzner and social media marketing gurus aplenty
FB: https://www.facebook.com/smexaminer
They have currently a post such as:
26 Tips for Improving Your Social Media Marketing
Does your social media marketing need a boost? This article shares 26 ways, an A-Z guide, to improve your social media efforts.
Second
The forum here are not experts on this topic. Very few use social media marketing in their businesses more than a post here or there on any platform.
Lastly, I know I said two but here is one more: There are professionals dedicated to this and constantly evolves, so by the time I finish this sentence it has turned another corner...so to stay abreast of it requires much time and study. Facebook algorithms can take up a good portion of your time to try to stay on top of it, and then it changes, without notice. It is very complicated, to analyze the results of what you do is complicated and not easy..
good grief who has time to do all this stuff! this is getting way out of hand. i see no reason why a b and b should go to this much effort.
guess thats why I am retired. not going to take time to even wrap my mind around it. you do what you can within reason.
It's a full time job to go all of the different social media routes.
Is it better to do 3 things really well than 10 things not so well? But who knows which 3 things to pick?
I have to pick the things i can do. Because social stuff, internet stuff, marketing stuff is all me. I'm it. Gomez doesn't even have a personal fb page. He's never edited a photo. Whenever I talk about the website he says he's glad I know what I'm talking about because he doesn't.

Two things
First Social Media Examiner Michael Stelzner and social media marketing gurus aplenty
Does your social media marketing need a boost? This article shares 26 ways, an A-Z guide, to improve your social media efforts.
Second
The forum here are not experts on this topic. Very few use social media marketing in their businesses more than a post here or there on any platform.
Lastly, I know I said two but here is one more: There are professionals dedicated to this and constantly evolves, so by the time I finish this sentence it has turned another corner...so to stay abreast of it requires much time and study. Facebook algorithms can take up a good portion of your time to try to stay on top of it, and then it changes, without notice. It is very complicated, to analyze the results of what you do is complicated and not easy..
good grief who has time to do all this stuff! this is getting way out of hand. i see no reason why a b and b should go to this much effort.
guess thats why I am retired. not going to take time to even wrap my mind around it. you do what you can within reason.
Is it better to do 3 things really well than 10 things not so well? But who knows which 3 things to pick?
I have to pick the things i can do. Because social stuff, internet stuff, marketing stuff is all me. I'm it. Gomez doesn't even have a personal fb page. He's never edited a photo. Whenever I talk about the website he says he's glad I know what I'm talking about because he doesn't.
Morticia said:
Amen!
The summary is there is no magic wand and it all takes a ton of work and time and expertise. They have degrees in this and even those who have them need to "recert" so to speak as it changes so frequently, and it will continue to do so. So find some innkeeping online marketing you admire and emulate them. If you do that you are ahead of the curve.
And then never forget social media is about being social, it is about engagement and interacting, not selling. If you don't want to be social and engage then skip it or hire someone. But being a small B&B it is always worth its weight in gold to know there are real people who care about their inn behind their posts.
For some, it is a hobby, they can incorporate photography and writing into something tangible. They can use it as an outlet for their creativity. For others it is pulling teeth and no fun.
If you want to pursue the logistics of social media marketing, I shared those links as a starting place by respected experts in the field. You can watch webinars by the these experts in the field, go to summits and immerse yourself in it.
and yet, after all is said and done, you may simply write "I really hope you have a nice day" on Facebook and find 10000 people love that, and appreciate it (of course you get to pay for that nowadays for people to even see it in their newsfeed)

Two things
Second
Morticia said:
Amen!
The summary is there is no magic wand and it all takes a ton of work and time and expertise. They have degrees in this and even those who have them need to "recert" so to speak as it changes so frequently, and it will continue to do so. So find some innkeeping online marketing you admire and emulate them. If you do that you are ahead of the curve.
And then never forget social media is about being social, it is about engagement and interacting, not selling. If you don't want to be social and engage then skip it or hire someone. But being a small B&B it is always worth its weight in gold to know there are real people who care about their inn behind their posts.
For some, it is a hobby, they can incorporate photography and writing into something tangible. They can use it as an outlet for their creativity. For others it is pulling teeth and no fun.
If you want to pursue the logistics of social media marketing, I shared those links as a starting place by respected experts in the field. You can watch webinars by the these experts in the field, go to summits and immerse yourself in it.
and yet, after all is said and done, you may simply write "I really hope you have a nice day" on Facebook and find 10000 people love that, and appreciate it (of course you get to pay for that nowadays for people to even see it in their newsfeed)
Joey Bloggs said:
It's the stupidest stuff, isn't it? Snow photos are big right now. Plus posting at the exact moment 'your' fans are online. FB won't tell me when that is. That info is 'unavailable' to me.
My photo from yesterday is still making the rounds. Another couple of hundred interactions with it since last night.
Did not see a corresponding jump in clicks to the website from fb, nor any new fans. My mistake for not putting the inn info ON the photo.

Used to be a SM marketer in my past life. It's a huge subject that has a myriad of issues you have to deal with (and hence why people make a fairly good living consulting in it). Here's a couple of simple questions you need to ask"
Who are my current customers I want to keep? What SM do they use? The answer is where you need to be.
Who are my potential customers I want? What SM do they use? The answer is where you need to be.
What SM aren't used much by current or potential customers? The answer is where you shouldn't waste a moment.
You need to create a "personality" for you B&B/Inn. Are you trendy? Comfortable? An old friend? Grandma's House? Visualize your business as a person. Then in all your postings, visualize yourself as that person as you write posts.
Blogging is important. Even if you think potential and current customers don't read it, they do to some degree. And that added benefit of increasing your SEO makes it worth your time.
Some examples. Our past guests follow us on Facebook. We do a lot there. They don't use Twitter. We have an account, but our posts there are very infrequent. Most of our current/potentials aren't following us on Instagram, despite how we've tried to get them to. So that's basically a repost of photos from FB and our blog.
Finally, be very careful. It can be a huge time suck. It's much more fun to sit and gossip at the keyboard than replace outdated toilets. Make sure what you're doing is the best use of your time..
These are great tips. Any suggestions on audience identification? I see FB allows you to create a profile of that guest or even use your email list to figure out who your demographics are, but that is as far as I have gone with it so far. I think we can expand (at a cost) our FB presence successfully.
So I will be blogging and so will my husband, each with a distinct personality. It won't be grandma's house. We are looking at content acquisition and also looking at a program that does the posts when you want them to appear etc. We are determined to set this up so that it is not a huge twilight zone of unbounded time.
So, the big questions are about using (working with) bloggers and influencers. Do you do this?
In a few key conversations, we are hearing that this is what the big boys are doing and the sooner we figure out how to make that affordable and tap this resource, the sooner the better. THIS IS THE ELEPHANT IN THE LIVING ROOM. Our tourism bureau is beginning to spend on these people and we need to do get on board with this system of distribution.
Who is an influencer in your area? Who do people respect when it comes to tourism or local info in your area?
You need to then follow them where they are. Twitter? Facebook? A blog? Instagram?
Once following you need to comment on and share what they are posting. They DO notice this. I shared a story from a blogger who didn't mention us a place to stay. She noticed it, commented on the share, sent me a DM and said she would come by to look at our place for a different story.
If you have something of interest they missed, post it where they are speaking of that thing. Make sure, unlike my goof, that photos have your info on them.
If your tourism board is really good try to be a guest blogger. Follow them on fb and post photos of your area when someone asks a question about your area.
If you cater to foodies or surfers or get away from it all types, post on websites devoted to these people.
Set a schedule for doing this so you don't go down the rabbit hole.
I used to track questions on travel websites. Correcting misinformation about my area, suggesting restaurants, things to do and then adding my info at the end.
Set up a time once/week to check a couple of busy travel websites. Even ta has a Q&A section.
Morticia said:
Who is an influencer in your area?
Not sure yet. We are meeting with a local blogger who has been developing a larger following. Not sure how well it will fit with our demographics. Our goal is to learn how he gets work, (how the middle men hire him), how he built his following, and maybe learn a little about what goes on behind the scenes. Obviously, some bloggers get paid and some are willingly to do trades. A local blogger is less likely to do trades with us.
Morticia said:
Who do people respect when it comes to tourism or local info in your area?
There is not a single presence that fills this role. It is possible that we can begin to fill this niche. More research is needed to figure out how to do this, but it is obvious that these connections with influencers is the way you get repinned, retweeted, shared, and followed. Doing it with out spending hard cash is the tricky part.
Morticia said:
You need to then follow them where they are. Twitter? Facebook? A blog? Instagram?
Once following you need to comment on and share what they are posting. They DO notice this. I shared a story from a blogger who didn't mention us a place to stay. She noticed it, commented on the share, sent me a DM and said she would come by to look at our place for a different story.
Agreed. This will be part of our effort.
Morticia said:
If you have something of interest they missed, post it where they are speaking of that thing. Make sure, unlike my goof, that photos have your info on them.
Good reminder
Morticia said:
If your tourism board is really good try to be a guest blogger. Follow them on fb and post photos of your area when someone asks a question about your area.
I asked about this and I think they would be willing.
Morticia said:
If you cater to foodies or surfers or get away from it all types, post on websites devoted to these people.
Good thing to remember as far as being relevant.
Morticia said:
This may end up being the most important thing of all
Morticia said:
I used to track questions on travel websites. Correcting misinformation about my area, suggesting restaurants, things to do and then adding my info at the end.
Why did you stop? It sounds like a great opportunity to get engagement going.
Morticia said:
Set up a time once/week to check a couple of busy travel websites. Even ta has a Q&A section.
all of this lies ahead...and we really haven't even talked about the KPI's and metrics.
I'm guessing the reason there is so much thought behind this is you don't want to make a mistake.
Sometimes you just have to jump after doing 'enough' research.
You can still do research but what do you have to show the influencers? Without the give and take it goes nowhere.
One blogger's meat is another's poison. This local blogger may have a lot of followers but it doesn't mean there's a formula. The best 'formula' is to be yourself and put out good content on a regular basis.
Do you have an email newsletter or email list of prior guests? Get a month's worth of good content in a blog and a plan under your belt for more and then send an email blast to your peeps. Ask them to follow your blog, fb, Twitter feed, etc. Ask them to share.
As for roi, the way to check is to have your metrics in place before you start. How do you presently track your performance? What is the goal of your future engagement?
You can actually start by using Google as a resource. What AdWords phrases cost the most for your area? Which ones have the most traffic? Don't start there. ;-)
Start with something lower down the list, but useful and important. Write about it on your blog. That starts the clock on Google history. History counts. Local festivals. Foods. You could have a section on your blog called 'Hidden My Town' where you become the expert. (I like that one myself. Gotta think about it now!)
I stopped checking the travel sites because it got to be a rabbit hole. There were a couple of 'queen bees' who discounted everything I said, so it was better for my health to move on rather than have to defend my town every week.
These 2 did not like my town and ran it down every chance they got. "Don't stay in that town, stay here." Things like that. The more I posted, now being in their sights, the more they ran down the town.
I'm guessing the reason there is so much thought behind this is you don't want to make a mistake.
Wasted a lot of money when we first started on print that did nothing.
Do you have an email newsletter or email list of prior guests? Get a month's worth of good content in a blog and a plan under your belt for more and then send an email blast to your peeps. Ask them to follow your blog, fb, Twitter feed, etc. Ask them to share.
That is the plan
As for roi, the way to check is to have your metrics in place before you start. How do you presently track your performance? What is the goal of your future engagement?
That is what we are working on. YES
Start with something lower down the list, but useful and important. Write about it on your blog. That starts the clock on Google history. History counts. Local festivals. Foods. You could have a section on your blog called 'Hidden My Town' where you become the expert. (I like that one myself. Gotta think about it now!)
I like that too and have something similar in mind.
I stopped checking the travel sites because it got to be a rabbit hole. There were a couple of 'queen bees' who discounted everything I said, so it was better for my health to move on rather than have to defend my town every week.
OH my. The travel sites are not for me. As the influencer who we will be doing our first trial run with said, " There are content guys and there are influences. You want the later." He made it clear that there a lot of people writing good stuff and going nowhere.
What makes this person an influencer? What do they get out of pushing your product to their distribution?
money, or hopefully for us, a trade

Used to be a SM marketer in my past life. It's a huge subject that has a myriad of issues you have to deal with (and hence why people make a fairly good living consulting in it). Here's a couple of simple questions you need to ask"
Who are my current customers I want to keep? What SM do they use? The answer is where you need to be.
Who are my potential customers I want? What SM do they use? The answer is where you need to be.
What SM aren't used much by current or potential customers? The answer is where you shouldn't waste a moment.
You need to create a "personality" for you B&B/Inn. Are you trendy? Comfortable? An old friend? Grandma's House? Visualize your business as a person. Then in all your postings, visualize yourself as that person as you write posts.
Blogging is important. Even if you think potential and current customers don't read it, they do to some degree. And that added benefit of increasing your SEO makes it worth your time.
Some examples. Our past guests follow us on Facebook. We do a lot there. They don't use Twitter. We have an account, but our posts there are very infrequent. Most of our current/potentials aren't following us on Instagram, despite how we've tried to get them to. So that's basically a repost of photos from FB and our blog.
Finally, be very careful. It can be a huge time suck. It's much more fun to sit and gossip at the keyboard than replace outdated toilets. Make sure what you're doing is the best use of your time..
These are great tips. Any suggestions on audience identification? I see FB allows you to create a profile of that guest or even use your email list to figure out who your demographics are, but that is as far as I have gone with it so far. I think we can expand (at a cost) our FB presence successfully.
So I will be blogging and so will my husband, each with a distinct personality. It won't be grandma's house. We are looking at content acquisition and also looking at a program that does the posts when you want them to appear etc. We are determined to set this up so that it is not a huge twilight zone of unbounded time.
So, the big questions are about using (working with) bloggers and influencers. Do you do this?
In a few key conversations, we are hearing that this is what the big boys are doing and the sooner we figure out how to make that affordable and tap this resource, the sooner the better. THIS IS THE ELEPHANT IN THE LIVING ROOM. Our tourism bureau is beginning to spend on these people and we need to do get on board with this system of distribution.
Who is an influencer in your area? Who do people respect when it comes to tourism or local info in your area?
Morticia said:
Who is an influencer in your area?
Not sure yet. We are meeting with a local blogger who has been developing a larger following. Not sure how well it will fit with our demographics. Our goal is to learn how he gets work, (how the middle men hire him), how he built his following, and maybe learn a little about what goes on behind the scenes. Obviously, some bloggers get paid and some are willingly to do trades. A local blogger is less likely to do trades with us.
Morticia said:
Who do people respect when it comes to tourism or local info in your area?
There is not a single presence that fills this role. It is possible that we can begin to fill this niche. More research is needed to figure out how to do this, but it is obvious that these connections with influencers is the way you get repinned, retweeted, shared, and followed. Doing it with out spending hard cash is the tricky part.
Morticia said:
Agreed. This will be part of our effort.
Morticia said:
Good reminder
Morticia said:
I asked about this and I think they would be willing.
Morticia said:
Good thing to remember as far as being relevant.
Morticia said:
This may end up being the most important thing of all
Morticia said:
Why did you stop? It sounds like a great opportunity to get engagement going.
Morticia said:
all of this lies ahead...and we really haven't even talked about the KPI's and metrics.
Sometimes you just have to jump after doing 'enough' research.
You can still do research but what do you have to show the influencers? Without the give and take it goes nowhere.
One blogger's meat is another's poison. This local blogger may have a lot of followers but it doesn't mean there's a formula. The best 'formula' is to be yourself and put out good content on a regular basis.
You can actually start by using Google as a resource. What AdWords phrases cost the most for your area? Which ones have the most traffic? Don't start there. ;-)
These 2 did not like my town and ran it down every chance they got. "Don't stay in that town, stay here." Things like that. The more I posted, now being in their sights, the more they ran down the town.
Wasted a lot of money when we first started on print that did nothing.
That is the plan
That is what we are working on. YES
I like that too and have something similar in mind.
OH my. The travel sites are not for me. As the influencer who we will be doing our first trial run with said, " There are content guys and there are influences. You want the later." He made it clear that there a lot of people writing good stuff and going nowhere.
Another thing you've probably thought of is - do you want to align your business with this person? What do they stand for?
They don't stand for anything that I know of. I can't say it is a great fit because it is our first try, but I will let you know what we discover.

Two things
Second
From the list-
#11: Keep Learning
If you’re like most marketers, in the past few years you’ve had to extend your reach into unfamiliar marketing terrain. Social media requires constant learning and mastering new skills.
OF course we are not experts, but I have learned a lot from this thread already. It has forced me to answer some very good questions about why I should bother trying to make sense out this stuff. Don't forget that I am just beginning to find out about it.
So the question is, "How do I know which are the professionals I want to use?" I am starting to figure that out. This very first test of trading lodging with an influencer is coming up in the next week or two. It should be interesting.

Two things
Second
LOL I am just rolling around laughing at this point. I am not trying to make your head explode.

Two things
Second
Morticia said:
Amen!
I am still smiling from reading EN's post.
Here's the thing. This is stuff that is going to be much more important very soon. You convinced me that I need to do my part, and that is what I am going to do. Be social, post about our area, try to take better photography for our posts, share our expertise about things we know about etc.
I do not want to pursue to inner working of social media algorithms, but we will need to know how to convert social media engagement into money. Anecdotally, you have already seen that happening for you. Eventually, we are going to want to know how to track that if, like on FB, you have to start paying for it.

Two things
Second
From the list-
If you’re like most marketers, in the past few years you’ve had to extend your reach into unfamiliar marketing terrain. Social media requires constant learning and mastering new skills.
OF course we are not experts, but I have learned a lot from this thread already. It has forced me to answer some very good questions about why I should bother trying to make sense out this stuff. Don't forget that I am just beginning to find out about it.
So the question is, "How do I know which are the professionals I want to use?" I am starting to figure that out. This very first test of trading lodging with an influencer is coming up in the next week or two. It should be interesting.
happykeeper said:
We've got a good resource here in state that vets people wanting to trade influence for free vacations. We haven't been approached by anyone serious to bother asking at the state level for verification.
But this is along the lines of what I mean - who is this Influencer's tribe and are they the tribe you want? If you're a happy-go-lucky Jimmy Buffet fan and their tribe is retro heavy metal you are in for grief if that tribe 'discovers' you.
What kinds of comments do they get on their blog? From what sorts of people?

Two things
Second
From the list-
happykeeper said:
We've got a good resource here in state that vets people wanting to trade influence for free vacations. We haven't been approached by anyone serious to bother asking at the state level for verification.
But this is along the lines of what I mean - who is this Influencer's tribe and are they the tribe you want? If you're a happy-go-lucky Jimmy Buffet fan and their tribe is retro heavy metal you are in for grief if that tribe 'discovers' you.
Well, influencers are folks with over a million followers etc. The fellow we hooked up has about 2 million. Near as I can tell, the reach is there, but that is a vanity metric. What I don't know is how well the influencer will impact those that might engage or even convert. So the quality of the connection is there, some relevancy of content is there, since they are big into food and there is a travel component, and the remaining question is, "What will be the meaningfulness of the engagement?" These terms were taken right off the webinar we did. I guess we will be trying to track the number of shares, the number of comments, the impact on our organic search, etc. I have a list.
One thing that will make everyone feel better, is that we have to do a quality post soon that they will repost and share (next couple of weeks)

Two things
Second
From the list-
happykeeper said:
Well, influencers are folks with over a million followers etc. The fellow we hooked up has about 2 million. Near as I can tell, the reach is there, but that is a vanity metric. What I don't know is how well the influencer will impact those that might engage or even convert. So the quality of the connection is there, some relevancy of content is there, since they are big into food and there is a travel component, and the remaining question is, "What will be the meaningfulness of the engagement?" These terms were taken right off the webinar we did. I guess we will be trying to track the number of shares, the number of comments, the impact on our organic search, etc. I have a list.
One thing that will make everyone feel better, is that we have to do a quality post soon that they will repost and share (next couple of weeks)
I think it depends on how deep the influence goes. Like you said, could be a fair number of vanity followers. But you only need a tiny % of that 2m to make a big jump for you.
This is kind of like searching out a publisher. You want to have a second book (at least) in the works before piquing the interest of a publisher. They always want more.
So, good you are working on pulling together multiple blog posts for once you get your one blog post pushed. The crowd will want more immediately.

Two things
Second
From the list-
happykeeper said:
I think it depends on how deep the influence goes. Like you said, could be a fair number of vanity followers. But you only need a tiny % of that 2m to make a big jump for you.
This is kind of like searching out a publisher. You want to have a second book (at least) in the works before piquing the interest of a publisher. They always want more.
So, good you are working on pulling together multiple blog posts for once you get your one blog post pushed. The crowd will want more immediately.

Two things
Second
From the list-
happykeeper said:
You sneaky dog you!
tounge_smile.gif

That's kind of the idea. They will, as you said earlier, go hand in hand.
Not sure why my post ended up on top of yours.

Back