Spam/Scam by an idiot

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as bad as the State Department scammers I just through out of my Inn for lying about being veterans. We give free rooms to any service member leaving or returning from hazardous duty all year round and give away all of our rooms free to vets today, Veteran's Day.
After I checked in all six rooms the group was having a get together in the main living room when I heard one of them thank another for tipping them off to the free room. I hung back in the hallway and listened for a while and got angrier and angrier. They all work in one area of the State Dept, not one of them ever served in the military and they got outraged at me when I told them they were stealing from the vets who should have been in their rooms.
Never will do the free room for vet promotion again, it has been trouble for years. When you contact the XO's directly and ask them to send their most deserving that is what you get. When you participate in the free room for vets program you get what you get..
Did you not check ID at check-in? ID is required. I am very sorry you feel that way about the program. Feeling the way you do, it really is best to not participate. I am saddened that more Veterans do not know about the program.
My 3-night stay for my Vets ends with breakfast in the morning. They have visited my West Virginia and I hope they go home and tell all their friends how wonderful it is. I have been blessed to have the nicest vets.
I admit I do not check ID now or during the year when I give a 15% discount to any and all Vets, cops, and firemen. I feel it is between them and their conscience if they are cheating. I sincerely believe cheaters never win. And since what goes around, comes around, people who cheat WILL get it handed to them some day. Whether I am there to see it or not, I am certain it will happen. (And I have been there to see a twerpy, do-nothing boss walk out of the office with his paper box - how one carried personal items out when laid-off or fired. I did a 180 immediately so he would not see me as he knew I had "volunteered for that lay-off.)
They all had ID's. State produces MID's for them and has since 1974. It was only their big mouths that gave them away. At least if they claimed they were retired I could ask for a DD-214.
We have offered at least one free room per week for the last three years to active duty men and women through the Quantico, Langley, Fifth Atlantic, NGIC and various smaller local bases Executive Officers. We also give huge discounts to all current and former military and their families except for peak season, when we still discount just not as much.
I strongly recommend this approach over just giving away rooms on Veteran's Day to the person that calls the fastest.
By dealing directly with the XO we get the deserving. At National Ground Intelligence Center they even have the soldiers vote for the most deserving for each months room.
These heroes, selected by their peers, are the best.
As far as retirees, I work with my American Legion and other Legion Commanders to seek out those who are the most deserving.
These are decisions best made by the honorable and not by phone lottery.
Just like anything else it takes more work to do the right thing but if you really are thankful for what these men and women do for us, then a phone call to your local installation, VFW or Legion Post will fill your heart
ANY Vet will have a DD214 - it is separation papers for ALL. I do not ask for that because it gives TMI as in the type of separation - good/bad - among other things. If they have an ID that you no longer trust - tell them on the phone you will need a DD214 when they make the rez. I give a 15% year round. I do not live near a base so I do not have the XO to work with. Per ca pita, my State does have more Veterans/disabled Veterans and killed than any other State. Bedford, VA lost the most of one town on D-Day which is why they have the D-Day Memorial there - a place I highly recommend people visit.
I would never show my DD214 for a discount. Sure I have one, but it's in a safe locked file. And I would never have requested one either. We have a large military post here & lots and lots of folks came here for events on post. I extended a discount to people here for their family member, too. I always used the honor system with guests...I don't care about the few bad apples trying get discounts.
Samster said:
I always used the honor system with guests...I don't care about the few bad apples trying get discounts.
I wish I could agree with you. One of the first guests I had under the free rooms for vets program program in 2011 had a GLL(minor)-464 code and we gave him a free room before we knew what the code stood for. We thought it meant a minor infraction, not an infraction with a minor.
Then after we read about it we thought he would be the only bad apple and 2012 and 2013 were OK, but after our State Dept. fiasco we are going to require a DD-214 for all retired vets. I had to show mine to get a new car discount, but I could have chosen not to and paid full price.
I know I can't prevent a sicko with GLL-464 criminal charges for sexual perversions from booking online at full price at our Inn but I'll be damned if I am going to give them a free room. Especially as a woman with a husband who is often gone for military contractor duties with teenage and sometimes college age girls at home.
Bottom line pre-screened by the XO, Commander or Chaplain ZERO problems. And they are absolutely thrilled to help.
So I am going to go all out this year to challenge the American Legion Post we belong to, the bases we have contacts at and pound away at betterwaytostay, PAII, bnbfinder and all of the sites that support the free rooms program to come up with an prescreening program.
It is INSANE to accept a few bad apples when those rooms should have gone to deserving vets. Someone who was never in the services or was dishonorably discharged should never be taking a room from a hero.

Not as bad as the State Department scammers I just through out of my Inn for lying about being veterans. We give free rooms to any service member leaving or returning from hazardous duty all year round and give away all of our rooms free to vets today, Veteran's Day.
After I checked in all six rooms the group was having a get together in the main living room when I heard one of them thank another for tipping them off to the free room. I hung back in the hallway and listened for a while and got angrier and angrier. They all work in one area of the State Dept, not one of them ever served in the military and they got outraged at me when I told them they were stealing from the vets who should have been in their rooms.
Never will do the free room for vet promotion again, it has been trouble for years. When you contact the XO's directly and ask them to send their most deserving that is what you get. When you participate in the free room for vets program you get what you get..
Did you not check ID at check-in? ID is required. I am very sorry you feel that way about the program. Feeling the way you do, it really is best to not participate. I am saddened that more Veterans do not know about the program.
My 3-night stay for my Vets ends with breakfast in the morning. They have visited my West Virginia and I hope they go home and tell all their friends how wonderful it is. I have been blessed to have the nicest vets.
I admit I do not check ID now or during the year when I give a 15% discount to any and all Vets, cops, and firemen. I feel it is between them and their conscience if they are cheating. I sincerely believe cheaters never win. And since what goes around, comes around, people who cheat WILL get it handed to them some day. Whether I am there to see it or not, I am certain it will happen. (And I have been there to see a twerpy, do-nothing boss walk out of the office with his paper box - how one carried personal items out when laid-off or fired. I did a 180 immediately so he would not see me as he knew I had "volunteered for that lay-off.)
They all had ID's. State produces MID's for them and has since 1974. It was only their big mouths that gave them away. At least if they claimed they were retired I could ask for a DD-214.
We have offered at least one free room per week for the last three years to active duty men and women through the Quantico, Langley, Fifth Atlantic, NGIC and various smaller local bases Executive Officers. We also give huge discounts to all current and former military and their families except for peak season, when we still discount just not as much.
I strongly recommend this approach over just giving away rooms on Veteran's Day to the person that calls the fastest.
By dealing directly with the XO we get the deserving. At National Ground Intelligence Center they even have the soldiers vote for the most deserving for each months room.
As far as retirees, I work with my American Legion and other Legion Commanders to seek out those who are the most deserving.
Just like anything else it takes more work to do the right thing but if you really are thankful for what these men and women do for us, then a phone call to your local installation, VFW or Legion Post will fill your heart
ANY Vet will have a DD214 - it is separation papers for ALL. I do not ask for that because it gives TMI as in the type of separation - good/bad - among other things. If they have an ID that you no longer trust - tell them on the phone you will need a DD214 when they make the rez. I give a 15% year round. I do not live near a base so I do not have the XO to work with. Per ca pita, my State does have more Veterans/disabled Veterans and killed than any other State. Bedford, VA lost the most of one town on D-Day which is why they have the D-Day Memorial there - a place I highly recommend people visit.
I would never show my DD214 for a discount. Sure I have one, but it's in a safe locked file. And I would never have requested one either. We have a large military post here & lots and lots of folks came here for events on post. I extended a discount to people here for their family member, too. I always used the honor system with guests...I don't care about the few bad apples trying get discounts.
Samster said:
I always used the honor system with guests...I don't care about the few bad apples trying get discounts.
I wish I could agree with you. One of the first guests I had under the free rooms for vets program program in 2011 had a GLL(minor)-464 code and we gave him a free room before we knew what the code stood for. We thought it meant a minor infraction, not an infraction with a minor.
Then after we read about it we thought he would be the only bad apple and 2012 and 2013 were OK, but after our State Dept. fiasco we are going to require a DD-214 for all retired vets. I had to show mine to get a new car discount, but I could have chosen not to and paid full price.
I know I can't prevent a sicko with GLL-464 criminal charges for sexual perversions from booking online at full price at our Inn but I'll be damned if I am going to give them a free room. Especially as a woman with a husband who is often gone for military contractor duties with teenage and sometimes college age girls at home.
Bottom line pre-screened by the XO, Commander or Chaplain ZERO problems. And they are absolutely thrilled to help.
So I am going to go all out this year to challenge the American Legion Post we belong to, the bases we have contacts at and pound away at betterwaytostay, PAII, bnbfinder and all of the sites that support the free rooms program to come up with an prescreening program.
It is INSANE to accept a few bad apples when those rooms should have gone to deserving vets. Someone who was never in the services or was dishonorably discharged should never be taking a room from a hero.
DH shows his VA card and most people accept that without a problem. He's never been asked to show his DD-214 at anything other than a military venue.
You're better off doing what you do, getting referrals from people who know the vets you have stay. Do what works. That's all any of us can do on a daily basis.

Samster said:
DH shows his VA card and most people accept that without a problem. He's never been asked to show his DD-214 at anything other than a military venue.
You're better off doing what you do, getting referrals from people who know the vets you have stay. Do what works. That's all any of us can do on a daily basis.
Sorry, I meant when they can't provide adequate military ID. I had to provide my DD214 to get my VA, American Legion and VFW cards, so I would consider that as good to go. V/R An Old Tavernkeeper.

Back