Speaking of renovations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're in the final phases of our room renovation right now. The new shower and sink (with LED lit cascade tap) are in, the radiator in the bedroom is moved so it's not behind the bed head anymore, all this has been going on since Thursday.
We've spent all day today cleaning, painting and wallpapering. The carpet fitter arrives 9.30 tomorrow, he's doing the bathroom floor at the same time.
Then it's just a case of put all the furniture back, get some matching curtains (curtain rails too) and cushions, a few new pictures and it's all ready for guests.
Can't wait to see what it all looks like finished..
Still a few small things to sort out, need a couple more pictures on the wall, want red curtains which I couldn't find today. Apart from that we've done.
I need to do some better photos during the day for the website, etc. but you get the idea.
DSCF2617.jpg
DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg
DSCF2623.jpg

also can I ask whats on the wall behind the tub chairs? ie tounge and grove sideways? just curious as I want to put in proper tounge and groove in room 11.
It's the radiator. It used to behind the headboard, which was fine when there were twin beds, but now it's a king size the headboard blocks the heat and it was very difficult to reach the control. It's a slim style to give us maximum space across the room.
shifting that radiator was probably the biggest single job of the whole project as it meant ripping up the floor.

We're in the final phases of our room renovation right now. The new shower and sink (with LED lit cascade tap) are in, the radiator in the bedroom is moved so it's not behind the bed head anymore, all this has been going on since Thursday.
We've spent all day today cleaning, painting and wallpapering. The carpet fitter arrives 9.30 tomorrow, he's doing the bathroom floor at the same time.
Then it's just a case of put all the furniture back, get some matching curtains (curtain rails too) and cushions, a few new pictures and it's all ready for guests.
Still a few small things to sort out, need a couple more pictures on the wall, want red curtains which I couldn't find today. Apart from that we've done.
I need to do some better photos during the day for the website, etc. but you get the idea.
DSCF2617.jpg
DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg
DSCF2623.jpg

I know it's a bit of a gimmick, but we love it.......... If you look closely at the tap on the sink you will see its a cascade style (which I love) but it has an LED light in it which shines blue through the water when the water is cold! turns pink as it warms and red when the water is hot.
it seemed like a good idea when in the shop, but to install was a nuisance as the water pipes have to go into and out of a box which sits on the wall behind the sink pedestal, the water flow generates the electricity for the light.

DSCF2617.jpg
DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg
DSCF2623.jpg

Well, we finally have a glimpse at John in the window on the second photo :)
I find it interesting that in the bathroom they (assuming the builder) has used wood at the connection between the floor and the wall. (Or at least that is how it appears in the pictures). We usually use cut tiles instead.
Is this your first all-glass shower?

DSCF2617.jpg
DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg
DSCF2623.jpg

I find it interesting that in the bathroom they (assuming the builder) has used wood at the connection between the floor and the wall. (Or at least that is how it appears in the pictures). We usually use cut tiles instead.
Jon Sable said:
He has been on some blog articles photos in the past. Follow his blog! :)

DSCF2617.jpg
DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg
DSCF2623.jpg

we both clearly have excellent taste as I have the same oak furniture in one of my bedrooms!
Ours came from sterling furniture. Two problems we've had, firstly because the bed sits under the window we wanted one with a headboard less than 98cm high, every bedroom set we looked at either had a high headboard, or didn't have a dressing table in the range. In the end we went for a faux brown leather bed and bought furniture in the range we liked.
Second problem was we're still waiting for the dressing table, due in May. That's why that part of the room isn't in the photos. They did tell us this when we ordered.
Im having the same problem with Oak furniture land - just hassling them on a weekly basis! - sometimes they get a cancellation from the same range so you can get stuff earlier - just have to be a PITA and make sure you are at the top of the list!

DSCF2617.jpg
DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg
DSCF2623.jpg

The whole house has pine skirting boards from when it was built. It matches all the other wood like banisters and doors/ door frames.
Bearing in mind that this house was built for B&B one of the biggest mistakes they made in our opinion was to put lovely big en-suites on all the guest rooms and then put in the smallest shower possible. So no, there's always been glass showers, just the new ones are much larger, 900mm x 1100mm instead of 700mm square.
When very large people use the old showers all the water stays above their waist until they open the door. :)

DSCF2617.jpg
DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg
DSCF2623.jpg

we both clearly have excellent taste as I have the same oak furniture in one of my bedrooms!
Ours came from sterling furniture. Two problems we've had, firstly because the bed sits under the window we wanted one with a headboard less than 98cm high, every bedroom set we looked at either had a high headboard, or didn't have a dressing table in the range. In the end we went for a faux brown leather bed and bought furniture in the range we liked.
Second problem was we're still waiting for the dressing table, due in May. That's why that part of the room isn't in the photos. They did tell us this when we ordered.
Im having the same problem with Oak furniture land - just hassling them on a weekly basis! - sometimes they get a cancellation from the same range so you can get stuff earlier - just have to be a PITA and make sure you are at the top of the list!
The one that surprised me was Benson Beds, the leg fell off the bed whilst we were moving it around, it's only been here 3 weeks and been used a handful of times.
Phoned their customer services team, after explaining the problem and given my order number they told me they'd courier up a complete new bed head.
Cant beat that for customer service.

DSCF2617.jpg
DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg
DSCF2623.jpg

Just checked the first people into this room since it's finished. Put the last curtain pole up this afternoon.

DSCF2617.jpg
DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg
DSCF2623.jpg

The whole house has pine skirting boards from when it was built. It matches all the other wood like banisters and doors/ door frames.
Bearing in mind that this house was built for B&B one of the biggest mistakes they made in our opinion was to put lovely big en-suites on all the guest rooms and then put in the smallest shower possible. So no, there's always been glass showers, just the new ones are much larger, 900mm x 1100mm instead of 700mm square.
When very large people use the old showers all the water stays above their waist until they open the door. :)
Highlands John said:
I had visions of using cri sco to get large people out of the shower and that is why one shower is 48 inches and the other is 60 inches.

DSCF2617.jpg
DSCF2620.jpg

DSCF2622.jpg
DSCF2623.jpg

The one that surprised me was Benson Beds, the leg fell off the bed whilst we were moving it around, it's only been here 3 weeks and been used a handful of times.
Phoned their customer services team, after explaining the problem and given my order number they told me they'd courier up a complete new bed head.
Cant beat that for customer service.
I think they have finally realised its a recession and if you don't buck up your customer service people will simply not replace big expensive items if they don't absolutely have to.

How many times am I allowed to tell guests they are the first people to have our brand spanking new refurbished room?

How many times am I allowed to tell guests they are the first people to have our brand spanking new refurbished room?.
Highlands John said:
How many times am I allowed to tell guests they are the first people to have our brand spanking new refurbished room?
Hahahha. I told guests this weekend they were the first to book this room since we moved in. Told them we'd only just gotten it clean and ready. It was true, but it was also the third time we'd gotten it full of junk, cleaned up and ready. So I guess I was stretching the truth a bit.

How many times am I allowed to tell guests they are the first people to have our brand spanking new refurbished room?.
Highlands John said:
I think the first few guests should qualify. I've done that a couple of times: We JUST redid that room! Brand new bedding, etc.
But not more than a couple of times, especially if you bragged about it online. Guests will wonder why no one else has stayed.

Back