Special Diets on the rise?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so here's my challenge for this weekend... my other post not withstanding.
wink_smile.gif
I am only willing to go so far, but don't want anyone to go away hungry. One guy does not eat eggs or nuts. He will eat a bran muffin if it has an egg in it and he will eat pancakes. One woman is on a "yeast" diet and can't eat white flour or sugar. Never heard of that one....sounds like a fad diet to me. I do a savory (egg) entree one morning and a sweet (gotta have some sugar) entree the second morning. Full house so there are others to feed who will eat anything. Always have fruit, yogurt, cereal on the table.
I have told them that I will do my best but suggested that they bring along something they know they can eat to be sure that they will not go away hungry. I figure the woman with the "yeast" diet will cave and eat any wonderful thing I serve. But the "no eggs and nuts" guy could be serious. Do I serve pancakes one morning (I do have a great recipe that does not have white flour in it), and eggs the second morning with a side of oatmeal muffins (not bran but close enough)? What do you think....will they eat it?

wink_smile.gif
I am only willing to go so far, but don't want anyone to go away hungry. One guy does not eat eggs or nuts. He will eat a bran muffin if it has an egg in it and he will eat pancakes. One woman is on a "yeast" diet and can't eat white flour or sugar. Never heard of that one....sounds like a fad diet to me. I do a savory (egg) entree one morning and a sweet (gotta have some sugar) entree the second morning. Full house so there are others to feed who will eat anything. Always have fruit, yogurt, cereal on the table.
I have told them that I will do my best but suggested that they bring along something they know they can eat to be sure that they will not go away hungry. I figure the woman with the "yeast" diet will cave and eat any wonderful thing I serve. But the "no eggs and nuts" guy could be serious. Do I serve pancakes one morning (I do have a great recipe that does not have white flour in it), and eggs the second morning with a side of oatmeal muffins (not bran but close enough)? What do you think....will they eat it?.
kay so the dilemma is:
no eat eggy dishes (He will eat a bran muffin if it has an egg in it and he will eat pancakes)
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
What I would do (I actually had someone with all of these 3 weekends ago!):
Fried or oven- baked potatoes, eggs, fruit galore, yoghurt-no sugar added, muesli-no nuts, whole wheat toast, bacon (omit the eggs for the dude)
You can always make FRENCH TOAST using whole wheat english muffins and peaches in juice (no sugar added). See that is the one EGG LIKE thing I would ask him, those who say no eggy dishes will say yes to french toast and pancakes. Just not the overnight F.T. that is soggy and eggy.

wink_smile.gif
I have told them that I will do my best but suggested that they bring along something they know they can eat to be sure that they will not go away hungry. I figure the woman with the "yeast" diet will cave and eat any wonderful thing I serve. But the "no eggs and nuts" guy could be serious. Do I serve pancakes one morning (I do have a great recipe that does not have white flour in it), and eggs the second morning with a side of oatmeal muffins (not bran but close enough)? What do you think....will they eat it?.
kay so the dilemma is:
no eat eggy dishes (He will eat a bran muffin if it has an egg in it and he will eat pancakes)
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Fried or oven- baked potatoes, eggs, fruit galore, yoghurt-no sugar added, muesli-no nuts, whole wheat toast, bacon (omit the eggs for the dude)
You can always make FRENCH TOAST using whole wheat english muffins and peaches in juice (no sugar added). See that is the one EGG LIKE thing I would ask him, those who say no eggy dishes will say yes to french toast and pancakes. Just not the overnight F.T. that is soggy and eggy.
I have the "Sweet" day buttoned up...cornmeal and rye flour pancakes that I believe all will eat. But the dude will not eat even French toast, so I am left with offering him fruit, yogurt, cereal (no nuts) and whole grain toast or oatmeal muffin on the "savory" day. He won't eat the breakfast meat either. But I like your idea of the potatoes....maybe I'll try that refrigerator trick we talked about in an other thread and try those "baking potato" hash browns. Sounds like a breakfast to me! Thanks for the ear.
Oh, in case anyone is interested, here is the recipe for the no-white-flour pancakes. They come out thin, kind of crispy and delicous. Recipe credit goes to Greycote Inn in Bar Harbor Maine.
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

These are simple to make, tasty, with a crunchy texture. Buttermilk is the key.
1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
Add the cornmeal to the buttermilk and let soak while you prepare the other ingredients. Stir the remaining dry ingredients together thoroughly. Melt the butter and add to the cornmeal mixture, then stir in the dry ingredients until free of lumps.
Cook on an oiled 350 griddle (a bit lower than regular pancakes). Use about 2 Tbs of batter. Cook until dry on top then flip until lightly browned. Serves 4-6.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
I have the "Sweet" day buttoned up...cornmeal and rye flour pancakes that I believe all will eat. But the dude will not eat even French toast, so I am left with offering him fruit, yogurt, cereal (no nuts) and whole grain toast or oatmeal muffin on the "savory" day. He won't eat the breakfast meat either. But I like your idea of the potatoes....maybe I'll try that refrigerator trick we talked about in an other thread and try those "baking potato" hash browns. Sounds like a breakfast to me! Thanks for the ear.
Oh, in case anyone is interested, here is the recipe for the no-white-flour pancakes. They come out thin, kind of crispy and delicous. Recipe credit goes to Greycote Inn in Bar Harbor Maine.
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Add the cornmeal to the buttermilk and let soak while you prepare the other ingredients. Stir the remaining dry ingredients together thoroughly. Melt the butter and add to the cornmeal mixture, then stir in the dry ingredients until free of lumps.
Cook on an oiled 350 griddle (a bit lower than regular pancakes). Use about 2 Tbs of batter. Cook until dry on top then flip until lightly browned. Serves 4-6.
Dont forget sweet potatoes for color, they are fantastic and really popular right now.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Dont forget sweet potatoes for color, they are fantastic and really popular right now.
Joey Bloggs said:
And very healthy. Awesome with a dash of cayenne and cinnamon. I do sweet potatoes that are pre baked like a baked potato (cause I am impatient) but not all the way done, slice and fry in canola oil, sprinkle with a dash of the spices and a pinch of kosher or flakey sea salt. Omitting the salt doesnt hurt but it leaves them a little flat on the palate.
Another great potato trick is when cooking fresh, not pre baked or G-d forbit frozen, salt them before frying, really interesting.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:
And very healthy. Awesome with a dash of cayenne and cinnamon. I do sweet potatoes that are pre baked like a baked potato (cause I am impatient) but not all the way done, slice and fry in canola oil, sprinkle with a dash of the spices and a pinch of kosher or flakey sea salt. Omitting the salt doesnt hurt but it leaves them a little flat on the palate.
Another great potato trick is when cooking fresh, not pre baked or G-d forbit frozen, salt them before frying, really interesting.
Have any of you tried nuking the potatoes before frying, rather than baking in a conventional oven? There are days in the summer when I just do not want to turn the oven on because the heat and humidity are oppressive. I bet I could soften up the potatoes in the microwave and then procede to the stove top. What do you think?

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:
Have any of you tried nuking the potatoes before frying, rather than baking in a conventional oven? There are days in the summer when I just do not want to turn the oven on because the heat and humidity are oppressive. I bet I could soften up the potatoes in the microwave and then procede to the stove top. What do you think?
Silverspoon said:
YES! Every time.
Covered casserole dish with a tbsp of water. Potatoes or sweet potatoes cubed. Then I heat up the olive oil in the lagre fry pan w/ onions and toss them in, they are already softened, all they need to do is crisp up on the outside, and it is 1/3 the cook time!

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:
KOSHER SALT is a must on sweet potatoes. Big and chunky. I am hungry for them now, thanks alot! I sent these to my sister in Ireland, as they are all potato, for something new there:
228979962274309230_6blUHNJs_f.jpg
50384089550706593_ORpDtjPg_f.jpg

Guaranteed Crispy Sweet Potato Fries & Sriracha Mayo Dip click here for the recipe w/ nice step by step photos[/h2]

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:
Silverspoon said:
YES! Every time.
Covered casserole dish with a tbsp of water. Potatoes or sweet potatoes cubed. Then I heat up the olive oil in the lagre fry pan w/ onions and toss them in, they are already softened, all they need to do is crisp up on the outside, and it is 1/3 the cook time!
Thanks...I'll give this a go.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:
KOSHER SALT is a must on sweet potatoes. Big and chunky. I am hungry for them now, thanks alot! I sent these to my sister in Ireland, as they are all potato, for something new there:

Guaranteed Crispy Sweet Potato Fries & Sriracha Mayo Dip click here for the recipe w/ nice step by step photos[/h2]
Which reminds me, I saw a sriracha lollypop yesterday and I thought... that has to be interesting, maybe I should try it. The hottest lollypop to suck on.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:
Silverspoon said:
The microwave is my best friend!
I do it that way more often than not when only doing 4-6 for just me and the kids.
I wash them, poke them once and put them in the nuker. Depending on size (potato and microwave), about 10 - 12 minutes.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:

Yep, love crunchy salt. Those pics made me hungry, guess we are having fried sweet potatoes for dinner.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:

When I mash mine, I put a spoon of apricot jam or peach jam in with it. Along with black pepper and flaky salt. Mmmmm.... :)

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:

When I mash mine, I put a spoon of apricot jam or peach jam in with it. Along with black pepper and flaky salt. Mmmmm.... :)
Penelope said:
Dont mash them.
cry_smile.gif
See that is why sweet potatoes have always been a turn off for me. Baby food. Sorry P, me no likee baby food...

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:

Penelope said:
Dont mash them.
cry_smile.gif
See that is why sweet potatoes have always been a turn off for me. Baby food. Sorry P, me no likee baby food...
Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
Dont mash them.
cry_smile.gif
Don't worry, only once in a while do I mash. It's the flavor combo I love :)

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:

Penelope said:
Dont mash them.
cry_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
Dont mash them.
cry_smile.gif
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
Dont mash them.
cry_smile.gif
Hurray!
See this is what most have grown up on, mashed or that sickening sweet thanksgiving version with marshmallows. This is why so many restaurants are offering sweet potato fries now, or baked sweet potato. I can't handle swquishy or mooshie (sp?).
tounge_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:

Penelope said:
Dont mash them.
cry_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
Dont mash them.
cry_smile.gif
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
Dont mash them.
cry_smile.gif
Hurray!
See this is what most have grown up on, mashed or that sickening sweet thanksgiving version with marshmallows. This is why so many restaurants are offering sweet potato fries now, or baked sweet potato. I can't handle swquishy or mooshie (sp?).
tounge_smile.gif

Squishy is icky!
What if you take a little apricot jam and thin it will a little clarified butter and make a dipping sauce for your fries? or a drizzle for a baked sweet potato? With crunchy Kosher salt of course! :)

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:
You betcha. We have a commercial gridde that makes the potatoes a breeze, but first, I peel, then cut into small homefries type pieces, keep in water until needed, drain and nuke the required amt, for 6-9 or more minutes, depending on the amount. They then go on the hot griddle, essentially to be browned. I might add onions or herbs, or nothing, depending on the guests. I usually use olive oil on the griddle for potatoes. The potatoes will stay hot for a few minutes while I finish the egg dish and the toast.

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
Cornmeal Rye Pancakes

1 cup cornmeal
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup Rye flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Joey Bloggs said:

There's a restaurant here that makes the sweet potato fries like that - just a small amount of Kosher salt. Nothing at all needed on them because they are nice and sweet. Our brew pub makes round sweet potato fries and serves them with a small amount of raspberry jam on the side, which I always thought would be tasty at breakfast too!

wink_smile.gif
kay so the dilemma is:
no nuts
No white flour
No sugar
AND..just informed...one guy (not the same guy who does not eat eggs, but in the same group) does not eat starch. No hash browned potatoes or bread for him....just eggs and meat.
So....in answer to your original post JB, it seems like "special diets" are on the rise. I am again reminded that allergies are serious and need to be cooked around. "Special diet" guests will have to pick around the meal I cook. I'll do the best I can and they will have to find something they will eat or go hungry! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Back