Stand by your gadget!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a grater with really big holes I use for hash brown potatoes - scrub clean, par cook in microwave 2 min/pound, grate with the skin on. Fast, rustic, tasty. Season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of brown sugar. Easy on the fat, but I use bacon fat for flavor unless there is a vegetarian issue.
And my non-stick pans only for eggs. Never soap, never garlic; wipe and clean. I can't stand pans that smell nasty or chemical when they are heating. Eggs absorb any off flavor.
Tom said:
...I use bacon fat for flavor...
Absolutely! Makes a HUGE positive difference in the flavor of hash browns.
Arks said:
Tom said:
I grew up with the bacon grease pot on the back of the stove. Green beans, corn, and potatoes flavored with bacon grease - heaven. It is a dish I stopped making when bacon grease went out of favor - it just does not taste right without it,.

I have a grater with really big holes I use for hash brown potatoes - scrub clean, par cook in microwave 2 min/pound, grate with the skin on. Fast, rustic, tasty. Season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of brown sugar. Easy on the fat, but I use bacon fat for flavor unless there is a vegetarian issue.
And my non-stick pans only for eggs. Never soap, never garlic; wipe and clean. I can't stand pans that smell nasty or chemical when they are heating. Eggs absorb any off flavor.
Tom said:
Saw a show where the chefs said that pork fat was number one for flavoring, and duck fat was number two. Obviously, duck fat not really apply to breakfast foods.

Tom said:
dup.

Tom said:
Saw a show where the chefs said that pork fat was number one for flavoring, and duck fat was number two. Obviously, duck fat not really apply to breakfast foods.
Why not? I would think that if I specialized in French cuisine, I would use it occasionally. Bringing dinner to breakfast is something we have done successfully for ten years.

Tom said:
Why not? I would think that if I specialized in French cuisine, I would use it occasionally. Bringing dinner to breakfast is something we have done successfully for ten years.
I was thinking more of standard breakfast offerings. Much as I love it, duck fat in eggs, pancakes, etc. would not be my choice.
Obviously offering lunch/dinner fare makes sense.
Chinese duck plates are among my favorites...

Tom said:
Duck fat hash browns would start a new trend, IMHO.

Tom said:
There is always room for a trend setter :)

Tom said:
I was thinking more of standard breakfast offerings. Much as I love it, duck fat in eggs, pancakes, etc. would not be my choice.
Obviously offering lunch/dinner fare makes sense.
Chinese duck plates are among my favorites...
I was just saying that there are inns like us that serve very few of the standard breakfast items. I could see Chinese Duck in my breakfast service. It would fit better if we were a different island.
What I meant about bring dinner to breakfast is that we have incorporated some dinner items into breakfast quite successfully.
Most b&b's aren't branding for food, but some are. It's a great branding strategy for us because it's my passion.

Tom said:
muirford said:
There's a whole restaurant down the road... Both the chef and sous chef have been on Chopped.

Tom said:
I'll try it this weekend. I happen to have some duck fat from my last batch of confit de canard. It has a mild lavender, oregano, rosemary, rose petal flavor (my home herbes de ... Willamette).

I have friends that call me Mrs. McGyver because of my love of gadgets. My citrus press is a favorite too. Love my good knives and have been known to check bags just to ensure I have a good knife where I'm cooking. Love my digital scale. My zester. My Vitamix. Parchment paper and Silpat. It's an addiction!
My latest gadget is a water circulator called a "sous vide". It cooks things in a water bath to a perfect temperature and then can hold it at that temp for some time. Restuarants have been using them for years. They are cool and satisfy my current gadget craving..
Lisa You got the gadget Queen bug also. I have been looking at the sous vide too. Saw It last year on our travels. Sure did wonder how I could use it for the B&B. My cupboards are Full Full and fuller . Iam getting to the point of either move or kick out a wall or two so I can hold more. I have even purchased two metal shelf , so I can hold my extra cooking appliances. I don't know how I lived before without my vitamix LOL .

Tom said:
I'll try it this weekend. I happen to have some duck fat from my last batch of confit de canard. It has a mild lavender, oregano, rosemary, rose petal flavor (my home herbes de ... Willamette).
I would like to hear how it goes.

I have friends that call me Mrs. McGyver because of my love of gadgets. My citrus press is a favorite too. Love my good knives and have been known to check bags just to ensure I have a good knife where I'm cooking. Love my digital scale. My zester. My Vitamix. Parchment paper and Silpat. It's an addiction!
My latest gadget is a water circulator called a "sous vide". It cooks things in a water bath to a perfect temperature and then can hold it at that temp for some time. Restuarants have been using them for years. They are cool and satisfy my current gadget craving..
Lisa You got the gadget Queen bug also. I have been looking at the sous vide too. Saw It last year on our travels. Sure did wonder how I could use it for the B&B. My cupboards are Full Full and fuller . Iam getting to the point of either move or kick out a wall or two so I can hold more. I have even purchased two metal shelf , so I can hold my extra cooking appliances. I don't know how I lived before without my vitamix LOL .
Sous-Vide makes perfect hard boiled eggs, soft boiled eggs, poached eggs (and safe for pregnant women to eat, because of the length of cooking time, but a waste of time to explain because they are overly cautious anyway.)
I haven't had the patience to cook cuts of beef that need to be cooked low and slow... mainly because it's 72 hours of cooking time. But a steak is great, you quickly grill both sides, then put it in the sous-vide and then quickly grill both sides when you take it out. Perfect rare, if you want it rare and basically caramelized twice.

Not sure where all my gadgets will go in the next kitchen! I guess I need a list of what's staying and we aren't quite there yet.

Sous-Vide makes perfect hard boiled eggs, soft boiled eggs, poached eggs (and safe for pregnant women to eat, because of the length of cooking time, but a waste of time to explain because they are overly cautious anyway.)
I haven't had the patience to cook cuts of beef that need to be cooked low and slow... mainly because it's 72 hours of cooking time. But a steak is great, you quickly grill both sides, then put it in the sous-vide and then quickly grill both sides when you take it out. Perfect rare, if you want it rare and basically caramelized twice.
Cooks chicken perfectly. Fish texture is amazing. I have done 18 creme brulee at one time to perfection. Dulce de leche already in jars! Pork tenderloin is great also. They are really coming down in price, especially for Fathers Day.

Tom said:
Duck fat home fries and eggs cooked in duck fat defy description, SO GOOD!

Back