Staying In Your Own Inn

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have carpeting or an area rug in the room? Put one down with a padding underneath..that might help a bit as well. Glad you did that as I always recommended innkeepers do exactly what you did..
Yes, the rooms carpeted. Actually it's going to be replaced in january, so I think we'll put down a much better quality of underlay. Unfortunately it's a modern house (10 years old) and the floors and walls are very thin.
Highlands John said:
Yes, the rooms carpeted. Actually it's going to be replaced in january, so I think we'll put down a much better quality of underlay. Unfortunately it's a modern house (10 years old) and the floors and walls are very thin.
In our newer cottage, we put down a commercial grade carpet, much like that is used in airports and such. It's been wonderful. It's easy to clean and doesn't show traffic wear at all. In contrast, we have a Berber carpet in our second cottage that shows every stain and spec of dirt. I look forward to replacing it when we can afford to.
the PO's to us were basically had - they bought a whole ton of commercial grade wool carpet with stain resist - yup you are thinking - but it was beige! showed every mark and foot track! it always looked slightly grubby! they still had several rolls of it that we were welcome to! politely declined! ruddy nightmare!

Do you have carpeting or an area rug in the room? Put one down with a padding underneath..that might help a bit as well. Glad you did that as I always recommended innkeepers do exactly what you did..
Highlands John said:
In our newer cottage, we put down a commercial grade carpet, much like that is used in airports and such. It's been wonderful. It's easy to clean and doesn't show traffic wear at all. In contrast, we have a Berber carpet in our second cottage that shows every stain and spec of dirt. I look forward to replacing it when we can afford to.
We have an off-white berber and it's awful. Firstly, the dog got her collar caught in the loops and pulled a long row out before we realized she was stuck. Every stain shows. We wear black-soled shoes and there is a visible track thru the room to the door. That's being replaced this winter.
That same off-white carpet was in the guest room that has access to the outside. What a disaster. Muddy, dirty shoes and suitcases constantly rolling over it. It's gone now but even the new carpet shows a wear pattern. I'd do away with carpet altogether if it wasn't for the sound-deadening.

Highlands John said:
We have an off-white berber and it's awful. Firstly, the dog got her collar caught in the loops and pulled a long row out before we realized she was stuck. Every stain shows. We wear black-soled shoes and there is a visible track thru the room to the door. That's being replaced this winter.
That same off-white carpet was in the guest room that has access to the outside. What a disaster. Muddy, dirty shoes and suitcases constantly rolling over it. It's gone now but even the new carpet shows a wear pattern. I'd do away with carpet altogether if it wasn't for the sound-deadening.
We use antique (read old) oriental carpets in the areas that receive the most foot traffic but have successfully used sisal and wool/sisal in guest rooms. The wool/sisal cleans up remarkably well and gives the rooms a clean, spa-like feeling. Bought all on-line here. The sisal, natural fiber rugs have also held up well, although they have not had any large stains so I'm not sure about their cleaning.

Highlands John said:
We use antique (read old) oriental carpets in the areas that receive the most foot traffic but have successfully used sisal and wool/sisal in guest rooms. The wool/sisal cleans up remarkably well and gives the rooms a clean, spa-like feeling. Bought all on-line here. The sisal, natural fiber rugs have also held up well, although they have not had any large stains so I'm not sure about their cleaning.
Love wool for carpets! I have a wool runner in my own entry hallway and it's been tracked on and trampled for over 10 years and it looks great. (Other than needing a really good cleaning.) I wanted to get wool wall to wall for the rooms but it was just too cost prohibitive.

Back