Stories from this weekend

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine wanted a discount on a 1 night stay. I said nope. This is what he wrote,
Thanks for your consideration. We have never been over that way and we are looking for a new place to vacation. Extended stays might be down the road, but not for this trip.
We will keep looking.
If they come back to the area, they'll be looking me up! They can find cheaper, but you can't find better!.
Yesterday's message winner - Hi, I'm looking for a room for Thursday night for just me, a single guy. It will be a brief stay. I'll checkin at 3pm then leave for the campground where the party is taking place and get back really late on Thursday night. I'll eat breakfast and checkout right afterward, so a short stay. How much for a short stay and can you throw me your cash discount too! Needless to say I didn't even call back. A single guy coming back to the B&B late after a night of partying at a campground. No, I'd rather the room be empty.
Cash discount: For others, the room would be $115. For you, it is only $175
wink_smile.gif

Undersea - these things are not made up, this is what you can expect to deal with when you have a B&B. Even worse is when they show up without a reservation, ask to see your rooms and then stand there negotiating with you for a better deal. And they never want to take the least expensive room, they want the one with all of the amenities like a jacuzzi but they want it for the price of the least expensive room. When you've got real work to do and these hagglers are wasting your time and insulting you by offering $100 for a $250 room with fireplace and jacuzzi, you'll see why people come here to vent. Or when they steal your stuff, or they light a candle on your jacuzzi tub and burn the top off and set off the smoke detectors, or they stay in the hot tub for 3 hours getting a chemical burn and then wake you up at 1am because they want benadryl. I have owned a rental property and being an innkeeper is a world unto itself.
I don't mind hagglers. Although I intend to have the phone do the answering, people who show up as you describe above need to be. But I cut off disrepecters:
See the rooms? No unregistereds allowed past the front door - sorry.
Better deal? If it is empty tonight, make me a reasonable offer. I don't insult, I just want to pay the bills. I get that with tenant prospects all the time.
Candles/set off smoke detectors? I had 10 fire engines in front of my place in back to back Januarys based on tenants in my house doing candles and other stuff, when we couldn't figure out where the smoke was coming from and they were out.
Want Benadryl? I plan a tiny gift shop. We will have sanitary napkins, small meds, and other stuff available for a price. As a landlord, I have gotten all sorts of calls at 3AM about Tenant X against Tenant Y. "There are 2 police cars here. Get over here right away!" (An hour each way of course). Dogs barking, loud parties, etc. etc.
Steal/Damage stuff? Landlords get that all the time. Such as follows:
My eviction last month, he threatened to paint every surface pink (two coats). I have dealt with dead tenants, people who want me to hold a $1000/month apartment with nothing down (they rarely come back), vials of crack left behind, praying no one made crystal meth in your place, people who do $10,000 damage out of spite, bringing in pit bulls, property manager who was imprisoned when I lived 700 miles away (had to move for a job) and no way to get anything accomplished, having 4 dogs in the unit, and a lot of other stuff.
The worse was the brother of a tenant, who was DISTRIBUTING drugs to drug dealers out of his sister's apartment. He turned out to be a murderer, and I sweated bullets after I anonymously informed the narc squad of the activity. They watched the place, there was a high speed chase, and I was finally done with them.
Ever help carry a body out of a unit?
Court appearances for evictions, attorneys, etc.
I could tell stories that would take away the desire for some landlord wannabees after they finish reading the real estate "Nothing Down" books.
I actually think a landlord has it harder in some ways. The level of people for a B&B tends to be better.
Walk ins will always want to see the rooms. Period. They haven't perused your website beforehand. And oft like Mort's they will walk away and we wish them luck. Chuckle. Chuckle. Don't let the bed bugs bite.

Thanks for your consideration. We have never been over that way and we are looking for a new place to vacation. Extended stays might be down the road, but not for this trip.
We will keep looking.
If they come back to the area, they'll be looking me up! They can find cheaper, but you can't find better!.
Yesterday's message winner - Hi, I'm looking for a room for Thursday night for just me, a single guy. It will be a brief stay. I'll checkin at 3pm then leave for the campground where the party is taking place and get back really late on Thursday night. I'll eat breakfast and checkout right afterward, so a short stay. How much for a short stay and can you throw me your cash discount too! Needless to say I didn't even call back. A single guy coming back to the B&B late after a night of partying at a campground. No, I'd rather the room be empty.
wink_smile.gif

Undersea - these things are not made up, this is what you can expect to deal with when you have a B&B. Even worse is when they show up without a reservation, ask to see your rooms and then stand there negotiating with you for a better deal. And they never want to take the least expensive room, they want the one with all of the amenities like a jacuzzi but they want it for the price of the least expensive room. When you've got real work to do and these hagglers are wasting your time and insulting you by offering $100 for a $250 room with fireplace and jacuzzi, you'll see why people come here to vent. Or when they steal your stuff, or they light a candle on your jacuzzi tub and burn the top off and set off the smoke detectors, or they stay in the hot tub for 3 hours getting a chemical burn and then wake you up at 1am because they want benadryl. I have owned a rental property and being an innkeeper is a world unto itself.
I don't mind hagglers. Although I intend to have the phone do the answering, people who show up as you describe above need to be. But I cut off disrepecters:
Better deal? If it is empty tonight, make me a reasonable offer. I don't insult, I just want to pay the bills. I get that with tenant prospects all the time.
Candles/set off smoke detectors? I had 10 fire engines in front of my place in back to back Januarys based on tenants in my house doing candles and other stuff, when we couldn't figure out where the smoke was coming from and they were out.
Want Benadryl? I plan a tiny gift shop. We will have sanitary napkins, small meds, and other stuff available for a price. As a landlord, I have gotten all sorts of calls at 3AM about Tenant X against Tenant Y. "There are 2 police cars here. Get over here right away!" (An hour each way of course). Dogs barking, loud parties, etc. etc.
My eviction last month, he threatened to paint every surface pink (two coats). I have dealt with dead tenants, people who want me to hold a $1000/month apartment with nothing down (they rarely come back), vials of crack left behind, praying no one made crystal meth in your place, people who do $10,000 damage out of spite, bringing in pit bulls, property manager who was imprisoned when I lived 700 miles away (had to move for a job) and no way to get anything accomplished, having 4 dogs in the unit, and a lot of other stuff.
The worse was the brother of a tenant, who was DISTRIBUTING drugs to drug dealers out of his sister's apartment. He turned out to be a murderer, and I sweated bullets after I anonymously informed the narc squad of the activity. They watched the place, there was a high speed chase, and I was finally done with them.
I could tell stories that would take away the desire for some landlord wannabees after they finish reading the real estate "Nothing Down" books.
I actually think a landlord has it harder in some ways. The level of people for a B&B tends to be better.
Walk ins will always want to see the rooms. Period. They haven't perused your website beforehand. And oft like Mort's they will walk away and we wish them luck. Chuckle. Chuckle. Don't let the bed bugs bite.
Also showing them the room usually clinches the sale - they want to know what they are getting before they decide and how willing you are to show it makes a difference ie i say " would you like to have a look at the room while you are deciding?" I do say the price right away as if they are time wasters its a quick way to get rid of them.

We will keep looking.
wink_smile.gif

Also showing them the room usually clinches the sale - they want to know what they are getting before they decide and how willing you are to show it makes a difference ie i say " would you like to have a look at the room while you are deciding?" I do say the price right away as if they are time wasters its a quick way to get rid of them.
Joey Camb said:
Yes! Offering to show the room without them asking often leads to, "no, we're sure it's fine." Not offering or dragging your feet about showing rooms gives the guest an unwelcome feeling.
If there are no rooms to show, because it's 10 am, then I explain that and offer to show the house and the online photos.

We will keep looking.
wink_smile.gif

MtnKeeper said:
yes, that and in my case, a couple of times, when 2 couples wanted to check in without a reservation, and the one couple is not really excited about what we offer but the other couple would like to maybe give "this sort of thing" a try. After much-whispered negotiations between them, they are on their way out. Fine. But wait, they turn around and are happy to tell me that they might give my place a try, (lucky me)
Imagine their surprise when I told them that I'd rather not rent to them because I surely don't need the aggravation and possibly unfavorable reviews from guests, who are doing me a favor.

I must have had a difficult day and could have possibly turned their stay into something amazing, which is my goal. It's just the way some people approach us that turns me off. Luckily, we are extremely busy and the next would-be-guest is really right around the corner

We will keep looking.
wink_smile.gif

Joey Camb said:
Yes! Offering to show the room without them asking often leads to, "no, we're sure it's fine." Not offering or dragging your feet about showing rooms gives the guest an unwelcome feeling.
If there are no rooms to show, because it's 10 am, then I explain that and offer to show the house and the online photos.
The no rooms to show was more my intent. Don't really want to disturb current guests with extra traffic. Especially when my wife is on her own M-F daytime. As others have said, tour seekers and others who want to "set up an event" and see the whole house are often somewhat hard on the nerves.
Showing an available room not such a big deal. Always going to get the occasional visual person who wants to see it with their own eyes.

We will keep looking.
wink_smile.gif

MtnKeeper said:
yes, that and in my case, a couple of times, when 2 couples wanted to check in without a reservation, and the one couple is not really excited about what we offer but the other couple would like to maybe give "this sort of thing" a try. After much-whispered negotiations between them, they are on their way out. Fine. But wait, they turn around and are happy to tell me that they might give my place a try, (lucky me)
Imagine their surprise when I told them that I'd rather not rent to them because I surely don't need the aggravation and possibly unfavorable reviews from guests, who are doing me a favor.

I must have had a difficult day and could have possibly turned their stay into something amazing, which is my goal. It's just the way some people approach us that turns me off. Luckily, we are extremely busy and the next would-be-guest is really right around the corner
It's always hard when couples travel together and one couple is more adventurous than the other. We have that quite too many times in a year. One couple happy, happy and the other hoping it's almost over and they can go to a hotel next.
A long time ago we had the friends of long time repeat guests 'give it a try'. As he walked out the door he said, rather loudly, that this was awful, it was like eating in an Army mess hall. His wife lingered a minute to say he wasn't really a morning person and he screeched at her to not apologize for him and he slammed the door.
Their friends checked in the day they left and even they were aghast at how he behaved. Altho they were trying to laugh it off.
His wife was chatting with other guests and seemed to really like it. Maybe the problem was her attention had strayed from 100% him, him, him.

We will keep looking.
wink_smile.gif

Joey Camb said:
The no rooms to show was more my intent. Don't really want to disturb current guests with extra traffic. Especially when my wife is on her own M-F daytime. As others have said, tour seekers and others who want to "set up an event" and see the whole house are often somewhat hard on the nerves.
Showing an available room not such a big deal. Always going to get the occasional visual person who wants to see it with their own eyes.
people that want to view for a future date can book it never goes well -
We had a couple at the door when we were actually shut for the week for renovations and my mother had come round to help and had about a million tons of laundry all in piles all over the lounge! So didn't even have anywhere to sit with them to discuss what they were looking for - needless to say they didnt book - must have thought we were a mad house!

We will keep looking.
MtnKeeper said:
Coming back from a party at a campground???!! NO WAY! There is no amount of money that would make it worth my while to clean up after you've been at a party at a campground. I agree, I'd rather the room be empty. Oh, and I love that he said it would be a 'short stay'. Checking in at 3 and leaving after brekkie. What does he think would be a 'long stay'? For cash, he could probably stay in his friend's tent.

Back