Subject line for your confirmations?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for making me notice this.
Under my old Rezovation system I had a super-friendly "We're Looking Forward To Your Visit!"
Under Reznexus, it's the boring "Phineas Swann Bed & Breakfast - Confirmation #1234."
Think I'll ask RezNexus for the option to personalize the subject lines.

I'm wondering if putting not only the date but the day of the week is a good idea? Do you think more guests 'know' the date or the day they 'think' they're arriving?.
On subject line of email: we have our name of our breakfast then the rooms name they booked followed by the day of arrival and day they leave.
Then the first paragraph we start out with this is your confirmation of your reserving the room ( name of room) In bold we say next Please respond to this email confirming the dates and confirming you understand the cancellation policy indicated below . Also please advise us if you have any food allergies we should be aware of.
We have you arriving Wednesday July 08 2015 and Departing July 10,2015.
We also include the cost of the room they booked for their stay. I hope this is helpful.
I used to ask for a reply but got tired of fretting because only 5% did reply. Took that line out and haven't looked back. It just didn't work for us.
That's why I want to start putting the date in the subject line. I doubt most people even open the email.
The ones who show up on the wrong date certainly don't!
Agree. If few people take an action, may be better to remove and simplify. I think of a subject line like a billboard. Anything beyond 7 words rarely works.

I'm wondering if putting not only the date but the day of the week is a good idea? Do you think more guests 'know' the date or the day they 'think' they're arriving?.
As a left handed dyslectic who is both number challenged as well as a math idiot savant I ALWAYS use and confirm day of the week and date for myself. I learned this coordinating national satellite events, booking conference center rooms, and of course at my 8 room inn. I strongly suggest doing it for both your and your guests sake. Brain farts occur on both ends. Especially since we and our guests are all getting older.
BTW isn't it odd that the last seven guests I checked in in a row were left handed? What are the odds? A self selection thing going on?

Sorry, I think y'all may be over analyzing this.
Subject: Reservation Confirmation
Has worked for more than 14 years
regular_smile.gif

Today's inn-coming booked July 9-10. In the Confirmation letter I had them coming in Friday, July 9 and departing Sunday, July 11. She contacted me immediately to correct the doofus - they have been here before.
The lovely e-mail I awoke to this morning called me before I had a chance to call him for his numbers - he had the wrong date, needs the next night instead. Told him we would fix it.

regular_smile.gif
Breakfast Diva said:
regular_smile.gif
Ah, one of the lucky ones! Crossing fingers...we haven't had anyone show up on the wrong day this year but we did just have a guest call to say they booked the wrong dates, by 10 days. I hadn't even sent the confirmation at that point, so they just found out on their own. (Must have typed the date in wrong.)
It's awkward to have someone in the house and have to charge them double because they got their dates wrong. Just trying to find a way to help the clueless save some money.
Or keep people from calling me while I'm on vacation yelling they're at the door and no one is answering. Um, yup, you're not due in until the 10th and today is the 8th. Then listen while they unfold their copy of the confirmation and listen while they hiss at each other, no one bothering to apologize to me, because I MUST have switched the dates on them. Sigh.

One tip: Don't put exclamation points or all caps in your subject lines. These are red-flags for programs that try and filter out spam.

One tip: Don't put exclamation points or all caps in your subject lines. These are red-flags for programs that try and filter out spam..
PhineasSwann said:
One tip: Don't put exclamation points or all caps in your subject lines. These are red-flags for programs that try and filter out spam.
Good point. While I've never known of a problem with my e-mails getting through, I've removed the all caps and the exclamation point on mine. Also added my town name to the subject line as something they might recognize, making them less likely to trash it without reading it.

One tip: Don't put exclamation points or all caps in your subject lines. These are red-flags for programs that try and filter out spam..
PhineasSwann said:
Good point. While I've never known of a problem with my e-mails getting through, I've removed the all caps and the exclamation point on mine. Also added my town name to the subject line as something they might recognize, making them less likely to trash it without reading it.
Arks said:
PhineasSwann said:
I've been putting the guest's name as something that might stand out to them. But, maybe including the town, state and date might work, too. But I'll take the caps off the name now. Hadn't even thought about that.

PhineasSwann said:
Arks said:
PhineasSwann said:
I've been putting the guest's name as something that might stand out to them. But, maybe including the town, state and date might work, too. But I'll take the caps off the name now. Hadn't even thought about that.
Morticia said:
But I'll take the caps off the name now. Hadn't even thought about that.
Innspiring rules!

PhineasSwann said:
Arks said:
PhineasSwann said:
Morticia said:
Innspiring rules!
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Innspiring rules!
thumbs_up.gif
I second it.

Thanks for making me notice this.
Under my old Rezovation system I had a super-friendly "We're Looking Forward To Your Visit!"
Under Reznexus, it's the boring "Phineas Swann Bed & Breakfast - Confirmation #1234."
Think I'll ask RezNexus for the option to personalize the subject lines..
Boring ... but it has the essentials: your name, what you are, email purpose, and a reference number you can easily use to search emails to follow up -- all in the space most email browser displays show without actually opening the email, so I can see these come in on a smartphone. Maybe it should continue "Confirmation ## beginning Friday, July 10, 2015"
When I respond to questions, I "reply all" to the confirmation copy so the guest sees it as RE: (something he already has) and can correlate with the original confirmation.

Back