Super Late Arrival - How would you handle this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After experiencing your problem a few times I decided to get tough! I use a booking agent and so get all the credit card details up front. I have now added a Late Fee of $50.00 if they check-in between 6pm-10pm (regular check-in closes 6pm). My Night Clerk checks them in. If they arrive after 10pm THEY ARE OUT OF LUCK. We do not answer the
door and they have forfeited their payment for the room.
These type of people are very selfish and I refuse to be
treated with disrespect.
Each B&B sets its own policies and those are mine!
Hahaha! I sleep better now..
There are dozens of legitimate reasons to be late checking in. I'm surprised by the bright line you draw and, frankly, I would fight for my money back if you denied me access to my pre paid for room.
What if my airplane is late and I don't get to your city until after midnight? I sleep in my car? What if I had to work late or attend a concert or drive a long distance?
We had a couple call us to let us know they were stuck in traffic and would be late. We told them to stop for dinner first because if they checked in first, they ran the risk of the local restaurants closing before they got to eat.
Hospitality.
I do likewise for several reasons. I am off the beaten path in a small City - so I will tell them to stop and eat and enjoy (I want relaxed arrivals) because I live here. Pre-B & B I was lucky to get 4 hours of sleep a day between my 2 jobs and responsibilities as a Mom. It was good training for B & B. Plus, it is rare that I have REALLY late arrivals.
We all know that the only guests I lock out are the quiet ones sitting on the porch enjoying the evening at 11:30.

I am going to stomp on toes for a moment. Let's discuss this...
If you are a B&B and do not have anything personal on the website about yourselves, then you are simple a place to sleep and it is not very personal.
It doesn't even enter the guests minds that there is a real person waiting for them to check in. The same reason you suggest meeting the person and not allowing a self check in is the same exact reason you need to have a more personal side of your website, after all people are sleeping in your beds.

If you are a B&B and do not have anything personal on the website about yourselves, then you are simple a place to sleep and it is not very personal.
It doesn't even enter the guests minds that there is a real person waiting for them to check in. The same reason you suggest meeting the person and not allowing a self check in is the same exact reason you need to have a more personal side of your website, after all people are sleeping in your beds..
Agree.
We're in the nothing personal about us on the website camp. DH doesn't want it, and I suspect most really aren't interested in the innkeepers, but rather the experience they as guests will have at the inn.
For us check in is anytime after 3p. That means anytime. It was a decision we made at the start, and because we're small, fairly easy to stick too.
I feel its the expectation of the guests. They're on vacation, they do not want to keep track of time. They want a break from that. So I'll sit up or DH will. They are all greeted, with luggage help if they need/want it. We do ask when they would like their breakfast, then tell them the coffee will be outside their door an hour before that.
I try to provide as much of a 'hotel' experience as is possible in a small inn. So it is not expected for the guests to think about us the innkeepers. It's their vacation, we are happy they have chosen us for part of it.
This doesn't mean we don't get our fair share of hugs at departure. It just depends on the level of interaction, or level of consideration with each set of guests.
And that is a very wide spectrum!

Welcome! Glad you have really and truly joined us! So I will first thank your guest for giving you the push.
sad_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
I help run our inn with my aunt and grandma.
We would put them at the top of our Do Not Book Again list. But be very gracious to them since this is their first and last time to enjoy our place….
regular_smile.gif
angry_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif

For us we tend to have more of a problem with people wanting to check in between 9am -2pm instead of our after 3pm check in. We tell them that they are free to drop off the car and bags but we can't promise that the room will be available..
Duff2014 said:
We would put them at the top of our Do Not Book Again list. But be very gracious to them since this is their first and last time to enjoy our place….
regular_smile.gif
angry_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif
I wouldn't.
thumbs_down.gif

People are traveling and stuff happens, like stopping for dinner because they are tired or whatever, it it their trip. I dislike it as much as anyone after getting up early and working all day, but they are not here to see me, they are here to spend the night and maybe another day or more. Do you know that for some after working all day and driving 4 or 6 hours it is a pretty big deal to make it at all.
So as everyone says, don't make it stressful on you or them, let them have a self check in. I would never stay at a B&B if I thought the innkeeper was there waiting on me, that creeps me out, no really. I want to do what I want to do.
No-showing for breakfast is way way way worse than arriving at 1130pm.
Urinating in the bed and not bothering to say a word or leave a note (and you are staying another night) is way way way worse than arriving at 1130pm.
and more (I won't bore you with, but stuff that happens when dealing with the public).
I was talking about the attitude of the guests. We understand that traveling doesn't go as planned and most will let us know or apologize over and over at check in for being so late. If they are going to have the attitude and lack of respect, it will happen in other areas of their stay and that's why they go on do not book…. Our list is very short. We are patient people.

After experiencing your problem a few times I decided to get tough! I use a booking agent and so get all the credit card details up front. I have now added a Late Fee of $50.00 if they check-in between 6pm-10pm (regular check-in closes 6pm). My Night Clerk checks them in. If they arrive after 10pm THEY ARE OUT OF LUCK. We do not answer the
treated with disrespect.
Getting a weird vibe ... us vs. them

treated with disrespect.
Audrey Forrest said:
treated with disrespect.
Hahaha! I sleep better now.
You're breaking so many laws, it's not funny. In CA it is ILLEGAL to discriminate against children. You can not deny a reservation because they have children. It's also illegal to refuse to rent a room to an adult who is younger than 25. It is illegal to charge a $50 late fee when it's not listed on your website or online reservations...I looked at your terms & conditions and it's not there. Your $50 late fee is greater than some of your room rates!
You have 4 inexpensive rooms and you have a night clerk? Come on.

Welcome! Glad you have really and truly joined us! So I will first thank your guest for giving you the push.
sad_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
I help run our inn with my aunt and grandma.
regular_smile.gif
angry_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif

For us we tend to have more of a problem with people wanting to check in between 9am -2pm instead of our after 3pm check in. We tell them that they are free to drop off the car and bags but we can't promise that the room will be available..
Duff2014 said:
regular_smile.gif
angry_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif
I wouldn't.
thumbs_down.gif

People are traveling and stuff happens, like stopping for dinner because they are tired or whatever, it it their trip. I dislike it as much as anyone after getting up early and working all day, but they are not here to see me, they are here to spend the night and maybe another day or more. Do you know that for some after working all day and driving 4 or 6 hours it is a pretty big deal to make it at all.
So as everyone says, don't make it stressful on you or them, let them have a self check in. I would never stay at a B&B if I thought the innkeeper was there waiting on me, that creeps me out, no really. I want to do what I want to do.
No-showing for breakfast is way way way worse than arriving at 1130pm.
Urinating in the bed and not bothering to say a word or leave a note (and you are staying another night) is way way way worse than arriving at 1130pm.
and more (I won't bore you with, but stuff that happens when dealing with the public).
I was talking about the attitude of the guests. We understand that traveling doesn't go as planned and most will let us know or apologize over and over at check in for being so late. If they are going to have the attitude and lack of respect, it will happen in other areas of their stay and that's why they go on do not book…. Our list is very short. We are patient people.
Duff2014 said:
And yet. A few hours north and we rarely get apologies for showing up outside the stated check in times.
As soon as I got to the point that people aren't specifically coming HERE and got that we just happen to be where people are coming to it makes sense.
This, to the guest, is a business. No one apologizes at a hotel for showing up at midnight. And that's the guest's outlook.
Nothing to do with me or them, just an expectation that this is a business.

welcome.gif

Why were they so late?
And they blew off the breakfast requested?
In a phrase, hotel people. These are guests who don't understand or don't care that you have a small place you run yourself and that staff isn't there whether or not they show up.
I'm so sorry this happened.
At that late hour, I was nervous going to the door. But the alternative for me was taping a key in an envelope to the door which was crazy.
Many here have keyless entry. It might be the way to go for you.
You might also want to consider a different payment system so that you can charge for late checkin..
I totally agree with you Seashanty. The guests who used Paypal I usually had some problem with and no recourse.
Much better to get their credit card and run it before they check in (making sure it is valid and not declined as so many are these days). if they dont want to book
because they dont want to give you their card info. that's a flag!
I've had a number of them recently who have declined cards and want to pay cash on arrival. Bad, bad, bad! No recourse if they damage anything.
I dont accept cash.

welcome.gif

Why were they so late?
In a phrase, hotel people. These are guests who don't understand or don't care that you have a small place you run yourself and that staff isn't there whether or not they show up.
At that late hour, I was nervous going to the door. But the alternative for me was taping a key in an envelope to the door which was crazy.
You might also want to consider a different payment system so that you can charge for late checkin..
I totally agree with you Seashanty. The guests who used Paypal I usually had some problem with and no recourse.
Much better to get their credit card and run it before they check in (making sure it is valid and not declined as so many are these days). if they dont want to book
I've had a number of them recently who have declined cards and want to pay cash on arrival. Bad, bad, bad! No recourse if they damage anything.
I dont accept cash.
I notice many of you leave a note on the door and/or key so they can access the property without a check in performed.
I, personally, dont feel comfortable with that. After all they could be high on pot, drunk, all kinds of things. Isnt that leaving oneself vulnerable???
Our policy is no children because home is not childproof yet I had a couple recently who
showed up with THREE YOUNG CHILDREN knowing full well our policy. If we had left a key for
them or a code, they would have had access to the property and
goodness knows what would have happened!
Better safe than sorry is my
motto!!!

welcome.gif

Why were they so late?
I dont accept cash.
I notice many of you leave a note on the door and/or key so they can access the property without a check in performed.
I, personally, dont feel comfortable with that. After all they could be high on pot, drunk, all kinds of things. Isnt that leaving oneself vulnerable???
Our policy is no children because home is not childproof yet I had a couple recently who
showed up with THREE YOUNG CHILDREN knowing full well our policy. If we had left a key for
motto!!!
Each of our guest rooms has a bolt lock and our apartment has a bolt lock.
So if we leave the front door open, a person does have access to steal some artwork and the Kuerig machine, but they couldn't hurt anyone.
Plus, our town is a destination. You have to go there on purpose. We don't have passers by.

It doesn't even enter the guests minds that there is a real person waiting for them to check in. The same reason you suggest meeting the person and not allowing a self check in is the same exact reason you need to have a more personal side of your website, after all people are sleeping in your beds..
Agree.
We're in the nothing personal about us on the website camp. DH doesn't want it, and I suspect most really aren't interested in the innkeepers, but rather the experience they as guests will have at the inn.
For us check in is anytime after 3p. That means anytime. It was a decision we made at the start, and because we're small, fairly easy to stick too.
I feel its the expectation of the guests. They're on vacation, they do not want to keep track of time. They want a break from that. So I'll sit up or DH will. They are all greeted, with luggage help if they need/want it. We do ask when they would like their breakfast, then tell them the coffee will be outside their door an hour before that.
I try to provide as much of a 'hotel' experience as is possible in a small inn. So it is not expected for the guests to think about us the innkeepers. It's their vacation, we are happy they have chosen us for part of it.
This doesn't mean we don't get our fair share of hugs at departure. It just depends on the level of interaction, or level of consideration with each set of guests.
Anon Inn said:
Agree.
Nope, disagree entirely.
Part of the experience at the inn has to do with the innkeepers. Unless you don't live there, then that makes sense. Is DH there? Does he interact with guests at all? Heck our guests asked if DH was from Iceland yesterday, they looked us up on our website because he chatted briefly to them as he was blowing off the porch with the leaf blower. (didn't realize they were already checked in).
I can tell you time and time again, I ask guests their favorite B&B's and none of them remember the name and all of them remember the innkeepers. The stories are always about the innkeepers. Good or bad.

All good answers and there isn't a one size fits all here.
It's important to realize that each b&b is different just as each innkeeper is different and you have to figure out what might work for you. Try it. Decide YES! or HECK NO! and try something else.
Once had guests knock knock knocking at the innkeeper quarters at 10:30 pm (yup, I was in jammies) to ask if there was a room for their friend who tried to check in across the road at the little hotel and said it was locked up tight and he had no place to stay. Yes he was very late, I think he drove something like 8 hours to get there. Got lost and surprise! No cell phone signal once he got close. This was at the end of a peninsula, you really felt like you were at the end of the earth by the time you got there ... especially in the dark when they rolled up the sidewalks at 9. I did have a room and he checked in.
The next morning, he discovered an envelope with keys taped to the outside of the little hotel ... he just hadn't seen it. So the hotel tried to be accomodating and left message on his cell phone that of course did not reach him.

Agree.
Anon Inn said:
Agree.
Nope, disagree entirely.
Part of the experience at the inn has to do with the innkeepers. Unless you don't live there, then that makes sense. Is DH there? Does he interact with guests at all? Heck our guests asked if DH was from Iceland yesterday, they looked us up on our website because he chatted briefly to them as he was blowing off the porch with the leaf blower. (didn't realize they were already checked in).
I can tell you time and time again, I ask guests their favorite B&B's and none of them remember the name and all of them remember the innkeepers. The stories are always about the innkeepers. Good or bad.
Meant agree in the sense that if there is no innkeeper info on the web, the inn is likely more to be seen as just a place to sleep, hopefully with better food.
DH is here, and though interacting with guests is not his idea of a good time, he's actually very good at it and often steps up if I've got too many things going at once. He is pretty adamant about no photo/bio on the website.
So the innkeeper/s is not what attracts guests here, however for many, I hope we are innkeepers they are pleased to encounter. If they are after more what I call the Millennial experience - just provide the service and not the chat - well I'm good with that too.
Just checked the toes. The bruises aren't showing
wink_smile.gif
The differences of opinions and approaches are what keeps the forum good to read.
heart.gif

Agree.
Anon Inn said:
Agree.
Nope, disagree entirely.
Meant agree in the sense that if there is no innkeeper info on the web, the inn is likely more to be seen as just a place to sleep, hopefully with better food.
DH is here, and though interacting with guests is not his idea of a good time, he's actually very good at it and often steps up if I've got too many things going at once. He is pretty adamant about no photo/bio on the website.
So the innkeeper/s is not what attracts guests here, however for many, I hope we are innkeepers they are pleased to encounter. If they are after more what I call the Millennial experience - just provide the service and not the chat - well I'm good with that too.
wink_smile.gif
The differences of opinions and approaches are what keeps the forum good to read.
heart.gif

Anon Inn said:
I love this subject Anon, because you see that is what B-com sells, a place to sleep. But I have seen your place and it is much more and it is due to your special touch, attention to detail and personality making it. So something small wouldn't be too pushy or too personal to give it that sense.
The innkeeper is not the attractant. lord no.
I understand completely what your DH says, but I also think that is part of the problem with people disrespecting our inns, showing up at midnight and such.

Agree.
Anon Inn said:
Agree.
Nope, disagree entirely.
wink_smile.gif
heart.gif

Anon Inn said:
I love this subject Anon, because you see that is what B-com sells, a place to sleep. But I have seen your place and it is much more and it is due to your special touch, attention to detail and personality making it. So something small wouldn't be too pushy or too personal to give it that sense.
I understand completely what your DH says, but I also think that is part of the problem with people disrespecting our inns, showing up at midnight and such.
Part of the reason for shying away from B_com. Plus our location does not really lend itself to marketing that way. I fear we would get people who would think we are far closer to the city, then leave bad reviews when they found out their assumptions were not correct. The impersonal nature of B_com would likely attract more of the 'August' guests.
On the other hand, part of the service here is accommodating check in - late always available, and early when possible. i don't feel most guests mean disrespect in late arrival, just lack of thought that B&Bs aren't usually 'front desk and concierge' places.

welcome.gif

Why were they so late?
I dont accept cash.
motto!!!
thumbs_up.gif

Sometimes the reason for being late makes you more upset! Guests who play passive aggressive with each other and keep dragging their feet to get out the door of their own house when they have a 5 hour drive. Then decide to stop to visit friends along the way. Then decide to drive right past the inn to go for dinner in another town. Then show up at 1 am and ring the bell because, oops, they didn't see the note taped to the door. Then want the full service check in while you're half asleep and standing in a cold entryway in your pajamas. Then show up for breakfast late and expect you to reopen the kitchen.
Yeah. Those people.
However, most people love the self check in and most are very quiet. I think turning the lights down helps tone the noise down. Except the car doors. The super later guests always close each door on their car 15 times..
Hi Morticia
Just had to say I really enjoy your comments and get a good belly laugh. You are so right on.
I think maybe people who are newbies at B&B try so hard to please everyone but you know as well as I do that
You cant please all of the people all of the time!
Keep 'em coming. I look forward to your comments on these blogs.

Agree.
Anon Inn said:
Agree.
Nope, disagree entirely.
"I can tell you time and time again, I ask guests their favorite B&B's and none of them remember the name and all of them remember the innkeepers. The stories are always about the innkeepers. Good or bad." JBloggs
Or they remember their fir babies!
wink_smile.gif

We not only added a blurp about us, we included our little pup too. I am amazed at how many guests ask first thing about him. We have even added his photo to our OTA listings which has helped with the issue of those showing up not knowing there is a 4 legged friend here.

Agree.
Anon Inn said:
Agree.
Nope, disagree entirely.
wink_smile.gif
heart.gif

Anon Inn said:
Part of the reason for shying away from B_com. Plus our location does not really lend itself to marketing that way. I fear we would get people who would think we are far closer to the city, then leave bad reviews when they found out their assumptions were not correct. The impersonal nature of B_com would likely attract more of the 'August' guests.
On the other hand, part of the service here is accommodating check in - late always available, and early when possible. i don't feel most guests mean disrespect in late arrival, just lack of thought that B&Bs aren't usually 'front desk and concierge' places.
We're just a tiny roadside motel, but I truly enjoy the folks that visit, I'm of the belief that the personal connection to who we are goes a long way towards their returning, I hope most feel like they were visiting grannie.
Late arrivals, I no longer answer the telephone after bedtime, but go to the door as needed, my bigger concern is that I have become a sleepy head and may not hear the bell ring. Because of who and where we are located there have been those folks just passing by that needed info or directions at 3AM and expected us to be sitting here waiting to fill their needs, guess it all comes with the business.

Late checking in to this thread (hahaha), but most of our guests who are going to be late let us know in advance, and we tell them that if the lights are still on at the office, we are still up, otherwise they can go directly to their cottage (we will leave it unlocked and some lights on for them), and that we will catch up with them the next morning (all of our guests are here for more than just one night).
During the summer on change-over days, if we want to go out to dinner and not all the arrivals have checked in, we leave a note on the office door inviting them to go directly to their cottage and that we will catch up with them when we get back or the next morning.

Back