supercalifragi - EX - PE - DI - A - riculous

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That being said, has anyone (be honest now) had an online booker call to ask something and you ever so slightly nudged them to cancel to book direct with you? This of course to save you the commission fee. No judgments..
Never. I have told them about booking direct next time, but never gone behind their back. I have mentioned that you can have choice of room with direct booking and that we charge less for the parking for those who book direct.

We are very vocal about our experience with that company. About four months in, we noticed no commission payments were coming out, so like the honest Innkeeper I am, I called to ask what the problem was. Oops! There was a glitch in their system. How about a payment plan, I say, it's now getting into our slower season, we can't have a huge back payment come out when it's their fault. Nope! $2k was taken out all at once, after months of back-and-forth with customer service. They mistakenly included us on several (nasty) internal e-mail threads. Not nice..
We removed our listing. They said if I change my mind please let them know.
That ain't going to happen. Nope not ever!

In a case like that, we would simply block the room for the day and put a note on the block that this is theirs. Charge when they get here.
Can you do that?

That being said, has anyone (be honest now) had an online booker call to ask something and you ever so slightly nudged them to cancel to book direct with you? This of course to save you the commission fee. No judgments..
We are only on air that doesn't take people to our own website to book. Every once in a while someone will ask for a special request. We tell them that, sorry, we can't do that request through air site. They either become Sherlock and Watson and come to us through searching around or go their own way and we don't get the booking.
We are on the No OTA side…..
Duff2014 said:
We are only on air that doesn't take people to our own website to book. Every once in a while someone will ask for a special request. We tell them that, sorry, we can't do that request through air site. They either become Sherlock and Watson and come to us through searching around or go their own way and we don't get the booking.
Every air guest who has liked us (and quite a few have not) gets told to book direct next time to save themselves the 12% commission and so they can choose the room they want.
Yes, same here! Forgot to mention that. We usually hand them a business card as we say it. Half the time, they already got one from their room. Half of the other ones say, "I paid a service fee?!?"
Duff2014 said:
Yes, same here! Forgot to mention that. We usually hand them a business card as we say it. Half the time, they already got one from their room. Half of the other ones say, "I paid a service fee?!?"
I'm not getting why they don't know that.
I did have someone call to ask why the listing says $x and they were being charged $x + y. I told them the price of the room is correct and the rest is the service charge from air. They booked thru air anyway.

Duff2014 said:
Every air guest who has liked us (and quite a few have not) gets told to book direct next time to save themselves the 12% commission and so they can choose the room they want.
Duff2014 said:
I did have someone call to ask why the listing says $x and they were being charged $x + y. I told them the price of the room is correct and the rest is the service charge from air. They booked thru air anyway.
trouble is some are hosts themselves and if you get say 3 months superhost you get credit or if you are a frequent traveler - therefore they want to use the credit.

Duff2014 said:
Duff2014 said:
trouble is some are hosts themselves and if you get say 3 months superhost you get credit or if you are a frequent traveler - therefore they want to use the credit.
Ahhh, that explains that one. So I'll look forward to the credit. I had a previous credit for a positive guest fee negotiation, long story, but Air took off their fees in addition to giving me the credit, cost me lots of telephone/email time though. I never used the credit within the time limit. Didn't end up finding a suitable Air place to stay.

Back