Sweets for breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Americans call a chocolate croissant, but we would NEVER call it that, since it's not shaped like a crescent..
Sugar Bear said:
What Americans call a chocolate croissant, but we would NEVER call it that, since it's not shaped like a crescent.
What is a chocolate croissant?
Joey Bloggs said:
Sugar Bear said:
What Americans call a chocolate croissant, but we would NEVER call it that, since it's not shaped like a crescent.
I don't know about SB, but around here it would be pain chocolat. Pain means bread. Croissant dough rolled around either a sheet of chocolate or a chocolate filling. Baked into a rectangular shaped pastry a bit bigger than a deck of cards, drizzled with more chocolate and dusted with powdered sugar. Divine!
We had those in Boston in 1986 at a place called (can't remember) Au Pain. Oh they were soooo good!!
gillumhouse said:
We had those in Boston in 1986 at a place called (can't remember) Au Pain. Oh they were soooo good!!
Au Bon Pain.

What Americans call a chocolate croissant, but we would NEVER call it that, since it's not shaped like a crescent..
Sugar Bear said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Sugar Bear said:
I don't know about SB, but around here it would be pain chocolat. Pain means bread. Croissant dough rolled around either a sheet of chocolate or a chocolate filling. Baked into a rectangular shaped pastry a bit bigger than a deck of cards, drizzled with more chocolate and dusted with powdered sugar. Divine!
gillumhouse said:
Au Bon Pain.
YES!!!

Sugar Bear said:
We have chocolatine, which the French also call "Pain au chocolat". It is two to three bars of chocolate in a rolled up dough.
59040-12.png

But a chocolate croissant would have a crescent shape, with the sides visibly smaller than the middle and look like...
chocolate-croissant.jpg

Sugar Bear said:
We have chocolatine, which the French also call "Pain au chocolat". It is two to three bars of chocolate in a rolled up dough.
59040-12.png

But a chocolate croissant would have a crescent shape, with the sides visibly smaller than the middle and look like...
chocolate-croissant.jpg
Leave it to Sugar to try to rope us Yanks into this one! I have never even seen those before in my life.

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg

Now that DOES resemble a sausage roll from down under (one of the variations of them) definitely not chocolate. At the bakeries in Oz there are almond croissants, filled with some sort of rum butter cream or something, and icing sugar all over them, and all over you when you eat them.

It doesn't seem like anyone yet has a regional sweet starter they serve. Something you only get where you are. (Yeah, I know, you can get anything everywhere now. But not as good as where it started!).
In North Georgia the orchard we visited made fried pies. Now, that is a regional dish that could be served. We all had samples. Dee-lish.
Home-made is roll out a biscuit size lump of dough into a circle, put apple pie filling on one half, fold over, seal the edges with a fork, then fry in the frying pan.
Innkeep said:
In North Georgia the orchard we visited made fried pies. Now, that is a regional dish that could be served. We all had samples. Dee-lish.
Home-made is roll out a biscuit size lump of dough into a circle, put apple pie filling on one half, fold over, seal the edges with a fork, then fry in the frying pan.
OMG I got to go back there!

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg

Now that DOES resemble a sausage roll from down under (one of the variations of them) definitely not chocolate. At the bakeries in Oz there are almond croissants, filled with some sort of rum butter cream or something, and icing sugar all over them, and all over you when you eat them.
Almond croissant come in two types. The normal ones are regular croissant with pate d'amande (almond paste) inside and a few almonds on top and icing sugar.
almonds+croissant%2521+024.JPG

And then there is a harder variation, that is more cookie danish like, but I havn't been able to find a recipe to make my own.

There are 2 such traditional sweets here, one I serve seasonally the other do not attempt. The seasonal one - King Cake is similar to a cinnamon coffee cake, these I purchase rather than make from one of 2 famous bakeries. (I found a Christmas version at a local grocery I served the Innmates but when I tried it I was not overly taken by it though, sorry girls)
The other are beignets which are deep fried and oh so yummy. I don't deep fry anything, besides they are best at THE coffee place in big city! I tell everyone that is a must!
Mostly I serve biscuits with jam or honey or fruit/cream cheese croissants. I had dropped making the muffins for the most part except for early departures.

There are 2 such traditional sweets here, one I serve seasonally the other do not attempt. The seasonal one - King Cake is similar to a cinnamon coffee cake, these I purchase rather than make from one of 2 famous bakeries. (I found a Christmas version at a local grocery I served the Innmates but when I tried it I was not overly taken by it though, sorry girls)
The other are beignets which are deep fried and oh so yummy. I don't deep fry anything, besides they are best at THE coffee place in big city! I tell everyone that is a must!
Mostly I serve biscuits with jam or honey or fruit/cream cheese croissants. I had dropped making the muffins for the most part except for early departures..
Do you do "Galette des Rois" for Epiphany? Filled with frangipane. If you find the bean (usually now a figurine) you are crowned king for the day. (The President of France is not allowed to draw the king, so he gets a cake without the bean!)
galette-des-rois-1.jpg

Anadama Bread. The story is that it was invented on this island. There used to be a factory in this town that made it. Now it is only made by local bakers. It's a heavy molasses bread.
We buy the frozen dough from a local baker and bake it the morning we serve it.
From Wikipedia: It is not readily agreed exactly when or where the bread originated, except it existed before 1850 in Rockport, Massachusetts. It is thought to have come from the local fishing community,[1][2] but it may have come through the Finnish community of local stonecutters.
Near the turn of the 20th century, it was baked by a man named Baker Knowlton on King Street in Rockport, Massachusetts and delivered in a horse-drawn cart to households by men in blue smocks. In the 1940s, a Rockport restaurant owned by Bill and Melissa Smith called The Blacksmith Shop on Mt. Pleasant St. started baking the bread for their restaurant in a small bakery on Main St. They baked about 80 loaves a day until 1956, when they built a modern $250,000 bakery on Pooles Lane. They had 70 employees and 40 trucks which delivered Anadama bread all over New England.
The Anadama bread center of consumption was in Rockport and next-door Gloucester, Massachusetts. It was commercially available from local bakeries widely on Cape Ann from the early 1900s until 1970, when the Anadama Bread Bakery on Pooles Lane in Rockport closed due to Bill Smith's death. For a number of years, it was baked by small local bakeries at breakfast places on Cape Ann.
From atasteofhistory.com
This soft, comfortingly sweet, cornmeal-and-molasses bread has a colorful history. For years, New Englanders have passed down two stories that attempt to explain the meaning of this bread’s unique name. Both revolve around a fishing village household. The first tells of a Gloucester, Massachusetts, fisherman, whose wife, Anna, prepared nothing for him to eat but a bowl of cornmeal and molasses. Desirous of something different to eat, one day he added yeast and flour to his daily gruel, in an attempt to create a tasteful bread. So frustrated was he in this endeavor that he grumbled, “Anna, damn her!”
A similar but more endearing story tells of a sea captain whose wife, Anna, was quite a good baker and renowned for her cornmeal and molasses bread. New England lore suggests that upon her death her gravestone read, “Anna was a lovely bride, but Anna, damn ’er, up and died.”

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg
Leave it to Sugar to try to rope us Yanks into this one! I have never even seen those before in my life.
Au Bon Pain is a chain. They have several in Pittsburgh and they have them In VA -
Virginia Tech - 225 Squires Student Center, 125 College Ave., Blacksburg 24061 - 540-231-9421
Virginia Tech - 225 Squires Student Center Kiosk, Otey & College Ave., Blacksburg 24061 - 540-231-5859
The list had them in most States but not in WV yet.

Mostly I serve biscuits with jam or honey or fruit/cream cheese croissants. I had dropped making the muffins for the most part except for early departures..
Do you do "Galette des Rois" for Epiphany? Filled with frangipane. If you find the bean (usually now a figurine) you are crowned king for the day. (The President of France is not allowed to draw the king, so he gets a cake without the bean!)
galette-des-rois-1.jpg

Well we start the 'parties' on Day of Epiphany and continue to MG day. Our king cakes are a little different than what you picture but we do put a 'baby' inside the cake. Here, it stands for the baby Jesus. The person 'lucky' enough to get the baby hosts the next king cake party! Most are cinnamon but the best are filled with cream cheese and or fruit (gelled).
Edited to add:
king%20cake.JPG

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg
Au Bon Pain is a chain. They have several in Pittsburgh and they have them In VA -
Virginia Tech - 225 Squires Student Center, 125 College Ave., Blacksburg 24061 - 540-231-9421
Virginia Tech - 225 Squires Student Center Kiosk, Otey & College Ave., Blacksburg 24061 - 540-231-5859
First and last one I ever saw was in DC. I do know it's a chain, just haven't seen one in 20 years.
I remember it because DH & I were on our first trip together. We were walking around DC and decided to stop and get a coffee. We ate outside at one of their tables while homeless people slept on the grates or sat and watched us.

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg
First and last one I ever saw was in DC. I do know it's a chain, just haven't seen one in 20 years.
I remember it because DH & I were on our first trip together. We were walking around DC and decided to stop and get a coffee. We ate outside at one of their tables while homeless people slept on the grates or sat and watched us.
My first was in 1986 in Boston near the Back Bay Hilton. A manager at the hotel I was working at got me a room there for $35 per night. It was one of the placves we stayed with 2 beds and the girls og the bed one night and the boys got it the next - off nights got the floor in sleeping bags. That is how we were able to take the kids all over the US, even to places we did not have friends or family to stop over with.

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg
Darn mouse! Dupe

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg

Sugar Bear said:
59040-12.png

chocolate-croissant.jpg
There is a whole thing about the "sadness" of chocolatine. The two or three bars are often placed in a way that when you look it from the side, it seems to be very sad.... and needs to be eaten to make it happy again :)
Look at the top picture, you can see the sad puppy dog face with two droopy eyes.

Ha Ha. According to my mom, Pie and coffee was the best possible breakfast!
Scones are probably the most common sweet available locally for breakfast, but no real regional standard here.

Scones are probably the most common sweet available locally for breakfast, but no real regional standard here..
Anon Inn said:
Scones are probably the most common sweet available locally for breakfast, but no real regional standard here.
I served apple and pumpkin pie for the day after Thanksgiving breakfast. :)

Anadama Bread. The story is that it was invented on this island. There used to be a factory in this town that made it. Now it is only made by local bakers. It's a heavy molasses bread.
From Wikipedia: It is not readily agreed exactly when or where the bread originated, except it existed before 1850 in Rockport, Massachusetts. It is thought to have come from the local fishing community,[1][2] but it may have come through the Finnish community of local stonecutters.
Near the turn of the 20th century, it was baked by a man named Baker Knowlton on King Street in Rockport, Massachusetts and delivered in a horse-drawn cart to households by men in blue smocks. In the 1940s, a Rockport restaurant owned by Bill and Melissa Smith called The Blacksmith Shop on Mt. Pleasant St. started baking the bread for their restaurant in a small bakery on Main St. They baked about 80 loaves a day until 1956, when they built a modern $250,000 bakery on Pooles Lane. They had 70 employees and 40 trucks which delivered Anadama bread all over New England.
The Anadama bread center of consumption was in Rockport and next-door Gloucester, Massachusetts. It was commercially available from local bakeries widely on Cape Ann from the early 1900s until 1970, when the Anadama Bread Bakery on Pooles Lane in Rockport closed due to Bill Smith's death. For a number of years, it was baked by small local bakeries at breakfast places on Cape Ann.
From atasteofhistory.com
This soft, comfortingly sweet, cornmeal-and-molasses bread has a colorful history. For years, New Englanders have passed down two stories that attempt to explain the meaning of this bread’s unique name. Both revolve around a fishing village household. The first tells of a Gloucester, Massachusetts, fisherman, whose wife, Anna, prepared nothing for him to eat but a bowl of cornmeal and molasses. Desirous of something different to eat, one day he added yeast and flour to his daily gruel, in an attempt to create a tasteful bread. So frustrated was he in this endeavor that he grumbled, “Anna, damn her!”
A similar but more endearing story tells of a sea captain whose wife, Anna, was quite a good baker and renowned for her cornmeal and molasses bread. New England lore suggests that upon her death her gravestone read, “Anna was a lovely bride, but Anna, damn ’er, up and died.”.
Yup, Anadama bread is common down here as well. In fact, I have some rising in a bowl by the stove as we speak! We are expecting a winter blizzard to night so I've got a pot of pea soup and Anadama bread in the works.

From atasteofhistory.com
A similar but more endearing story tells of a sea captain whose wife, Anna, was quite a good baker and renowned for her cornmeal and molasses bread. New England lore suggests that upon her death her gravestone read, “Anna was a lovely bride, but Anna, damn ’er, up and died.”.
Yup, Anadama bread is common down here as well. In fact, I have some rising in a bowl by the stove as we speak! We are expecting a winter blizzard to night so I've got a pot of pea soup and Anadama bread in the works.
Thinking of all of you in the storm's path...be safe. We just have a few flurries and that is really all that is expected here.

Back