TA/Booking Connection

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you have to buy a TA business listing, then pay the PPC rate.
It's just like with the credit cards, where you have to do some calculating to see what's better for you, regular CC processors that charge a lower per-sale rate, but have monthly fees, or something like Square where there's no monthly fee but higher per-sale rate. Depending on your sales volume, one or the other is better for you.
I guess the math could also show where you'd be money ahead to be a TA member and pay the PPC, vs. the 15% Booking commission. But the way it's working right now, if you're with Booking you reach their own customers plus all the TA customers.
This stuff is getting as complicated as the gluten/vegan/special diet subject!

Yes, you have to buy a TA business listing, then pay the PPC rate.
It's just like with the credit cards, where you have to do some calculating to see what's better for you, regular CC processors that charge a lower per-sale rate, but have monthly fees, or something like Square where there's no monthly fee but higher per-sale rate. Depending on your sales volume, one or the other is better for you.
I guess the math could also show where you'd be money ahead to be a TA member and pay the PPC, vs. the 15% Booking commission. But the way it's working right now, if you're with Booking you reach their own customers plus all the TA customers.
This stuff is getting as complicated as the gluten/vegan/special diet subject!.
I've been thinking about all the different twists to this and how our listing will probably drop down the list even more as TA becomes a booking engine instead of a review site. We struggle to maintain a high enough rating to be up near the top of the page but we just cannot keep up with the few places who get hundreds of reviews.
Ha! I say this and we just moved up a slot.
Anyway, dropping down to the bottom of the list for non-payment isn't a deal breaker here because we've been pretty low on the list before. (7/11)
Probably the calendar to reserve rooms will be what kills us in the TA market.
Last I was told it is $700 to list on TA in this town, but I'm guessing it's gone up since then as the person I spoke with said they are getting in the millions for hits. If I then have to pay to play the booking game, where does it end? I would be paying higher rates than the hotels for the same town.

I guess people who have plenty of business have the additional benefit of allowing bookings only from their website, and those who need more business have the additional burden of having to give up 15% to increase the likelihood of getting heads in beds.
I think a lot of us who find Booking attractive after a long slow winter will see some drawbacks to Booking during the busy vacation season.
How hard it is to turn Booking off and on? Use them when you need them and turn them off when you don't.
As was mentioned above, when you turn Booking off, TA offers to search places nearby that do have online prices posted. But I think it's that way for EVERYONE now. Any lodging page I go to now on TA either has a way to book, or it says
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in [the town you're searching]
I think they've got us, folks. Either let them book your place, and they take a cut, or they will do everything they can to send people to places that do give them a cut..
Arks said:
I guess people who have plenty of business have the additional benefit of allowing bookings only from their website, and those who need more business have the additional burden of having to give up 15% to increase the likelihood of getting heads in beds.
I think a lot of us who find Booking attractive after a long slow winter will see some drawbacks to Booking during the busy vacation season.
How hard it is to turn Booking off and on? Use them when you need them and turn them off when you don't.
As was mentioned above, when you turn Booking off, TA offers to search places nearby that do have online prices posted. But I think it's that way for EVERYONE now. Any lodging page I go to now on TA either has a way to book, or it says
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in [the town you're searching]
I think they've got us, folks. Either let them book your place, and they take a cut, or they will do everything they can to send people to places that do give them a cut.
There is an alternative, which is to use TAs TripConnect. When a guest does a search with the dates box on your listing, it goes directly to your own reservation system. No commission when they book, but there is a pay per click charge from TA. Which is more expensive? I don't have a clue...it will depend on how big of a city you're in and the PPC rate.
I'm trying to get hooked up with TripConnect, but there's a glitch between my ResKey and TripConnect with my available dates.
Breakfast Diva said:
I'm trying to get hooked up with TripConnect, but there's a glitch between my ResKey and TripConnect with my available dates.
Do you need to buy a TA listing to get the trip connect portion?
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
yes
So in essence you are paying TA twice to allow you to operate your business - to actually get the customers YOU work so hard to get via your web site, social media, etc. Hmmmm. When does it reach a financial point where we step back and say, "Wait a minute. This is supposed to be MY business to support ME!" By the time I would pay TA their double dip, bandb their basic level that is going to show MY web site for a direct booking (and if we get smart and say OK we all get the same listing bandb comes up with a more expensive Diamond to how we are better than you are), my insurance, the web hosting, the real estate taxes, the amenities, the food and utilities..... there is NOTHING left for me but I have worked my butt off (OK I wish it would work off).
We keep telling ourselves we have to do this or we have to do that to stay in business. WHY? Because someone tells us we have to? OK, I DO live in a different world - but it is a world where I have to set traps on the Interstate to get them, not merely put out a hook on the street.
Please realize that although my real estate cost less and my real estate taxes are less - these costs are reflective of the income level of the area - but the rest of my costs are the same as yours. And as far as ROI, my expenses would actually be more since the ONLY thing I pay less for due to only 3 rooms is RezKey. I decided several years ago to play my own game. So far, my revenues stayed about the same without bandb, bb online, TA biz, etc. My revenues went up when I took some long-term when the situation presented itself and I hope will blossom with the Elopements that you all have started doing since I was going to do it last year (sometimes it takes longer for things to happen here). I am not going to allow someone else to tell ME how I am going to set my rates and tell me I have to pay them if I want business.
Sorry, I have my blankie and am returning to my corner.

For me that was the killer on booking. We're fairly top rated on ta and get lots of bookings from it. Having all those people who used to find us on ta getting sent to booking meant no extra bookings but 15% less income.
What annoyed me most about this situation is that I'm paying ta £400+ a year for a business listing and yet I get a tiny link at the top of the page but booking takes up almost a quarter of my ta page.
After we left booking the box remained on our ta page but when you put in dates it took you to our competitors which
angry_smile.gif
me off even more. I wrote and complained to TA and they said there was nothing they could do about it.
Anyone who tells you that their website does something over which they have no control is lying, in my book..
Highlands John said:
After we left booking the box remained on our ta page but when you put in dates it took you to our competitors which
angry_smile.gif
me off even more. I wrote and complained to TA and they said there was nothing they could do about it.
Anyone who tells you that their website does something over which they have no control is lying, in my book.
Total crap. They are illegally stealing your customers. Do not let them do it. Fight it publicly until they stop abusing you. Had the same with Expedia which took 4 month to remove my property page on their website. TA is great at lying. Fought more than a year with them to have them stop using our name in Adwords. Repeatedly they said that I should see this with Google. Solved the question after finding a top officer on Twitter and dealing with him. Try to have some of his followers follow you first (!).

[h2]
Anecdotal Evidence Warning[/h2]
My sister has a store across the street from my guesthouse. Gifts, souvenirs of our area, etc. Today she said two tourists came in, who are in town for a seminar this weekend at the local college.
She asked them where they were staying and got around to mentioning my place across the street. They said, oh, we wanted to stay there, but there were no prices listed on TA so we couldn't book there.
There's no way of knowing how often that happens, but I'm sure it's more than we ever know about. I guess a TA business listing would get my rates listed, but this new connection to Booking can serve the same purpose.
We drive people to our websites in every way we can think of, but if we want the most occupancy we can get, we've probably also got to play the game of the companies most people go to for their bookings..
Arks said:
[h2]
Anecdotal Evidence Warning[/h2]
My sister has a store across the street from my guesthouse. Gifts, souvenirs of our area, etc. Today she said two tourists came in, who are in town for a seminar this weekend at the local college.
She asked them where they were staying and got around to mentioning my place across the street. They said, oh, we wanted to stay there, but there were no prices listed on TA so we couldn't book there.
There's no way of knowing how often that happens, but I'm sure it's more than we ever know about. I guess a TA business listing would get my rates listed, but this new connection to Booking can serve the same purpose.
We drive people to our websites in every way we can think of, but if we want the most occupancy we can get, we've probably also got to play the game of the companies most people go to for their bookings.
Yes, this happens often. It also happens often that visitors book at other propreties because they could not find your own website.
A business listing do not show your prices. Just an invisible link to your own website.
If you want to show prices, you will need a business listing, an approved channel manager plus a payment per clic.
Yes, if you need the most occupancy, you may need to do it. Handle with care, though. I need to be on Booking but I do not want to pay TA as it is not relevant to our location. Their search engine is bad and we do not come out. I try, elegantly, to answer comments and tell people better book direct.

So the chicken and egg scenario is at play:
Are you NOT getting reservations because it is not showing an availability and price, or
Are you losing MORE $, because booking.com is taking them at ease, and paying 15% on every room.
?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Are you NOT getting reservations because it is not showing an availability and price, or
Are you losing MORE $, because booking.com is taking them at ease, and paying 15% on every room.
?
Should you pay the commission every year or should you invest the same money to the marketing of your own website ?

I think they've got us, folks. Either let them book your place, and they take a cut, or they will do everything they can to send people to places that do give them a cut..
Arks said:
I think they've got us, folks. Either let them book your place, and they take a cut, or they will do everything they can to send people to places that do give them a cut.
My solution, though not perfect, is to sell breakfast included on my website, breakfast excluded on Booking with extra 15% on prices, full open all year on Booking. No commission on breakfasts, benefiting of the billboard effect at most as visible all year on Booking/TA, ... with better offer direct to nail the customers. I suppose this is better than just closing the rooms (which is easy to do).

?.
Joey Bloggs said:
?
Should you pay the commission every year or should you invest the same money to the marketing of your own website ?
souslechene said:
Joey Bloggs said:
?
I am doing the latter. But I also do not have any guests tonight. ugh

?.
Joey Bloggs said:
?
souslechene said:
Joey Bloggs said:
?
Joey Bloggs said:
souslechene said:
Joey Bloggs said:
?
My meaning was would I get better result using the 2000€ of commission yearly to pay for a professional search engine optimisation company...

Arks said:
There is an alternative, which is to use TAs TripConnect. When a guest does a search with the dates box on your listing, it goes directly to your own reservation system. No commission when they book, but there is a pay per click charge from TA. Which is more expensive? I don't have a clue...it will depend on how big of a city you're in and the PPC rate.
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
yes
So in essence you are paying TA twice to allow you to operate your business - to actually get the customers YOU work so hard to get via your web site, social media, etc. Hmmmm. When does it reach a financial point where we step back and say, "Wait a minute. This is supposed to be MY business to support ME!" By the time I would pay TA their double dip, bandb their basic level that is going to show MY web site for a direct booking (and if we get smart and say OK we all get the same listing bandb comes up with a more expensive Diamond to how we are better than you are), my insurance, the web hosting, the real estate taxes, the amenities, the food and utilities..... there is NOTHING left for me but I have worked my butt off (OK I wish it would work off).
We keep telling ourselves we have to do this or we have to do that to stay in business. WHY? Because someone tells us we have to? OK, I DO live in a different world - but it is a world where I have to set traps on the Interstate to get them, not merely put out a hook on the street.
Please realize that although my real estate cost less and my real estate taxes are less - these costs are reflective of the income level of the area - but the rest of my costs are the same as yours. And as far as ROI, my expenses would actually be more since the ONLY thing I pay less for due to only 3 rooms is RezKey. I decided several years ago to play my own game. So far, my revenues stayed about the same without bandb, bb online, TA biz, etc. My revenues went up when I took some long-term when the situation presented itself and I hope will blossom with the Elopements that you all have started doing since I was going to do it last year (sometimes it takes longer for things to happen here). I am not going to allow someone else to tell ME how I am going to set my rates and tell me I have to pay them if I want business.
I fought TA for a long time. Over the last couple of years I've dropped numerous b&b directories for lack of performance. A few months ago I started a TA biz listing. To my surprise, it paid for itself in the first month. I know this because of using Intell-a-keeper which is connected to my ResKey. I'm in a rural location and no one searches for lodging in my 'town', so I was surprised it performed for me so quickly.
I'm going to treat TA the same way I do all other directories. If it doesn't perform, out it goes. Yes, I resent the hell out of these companies, but I'll play along if it works and I think it won't harm me in the long term. My biggest bang for the buck is still google. Organic listings are still where it's at...that's where most of my reservations come from.
I long for the old days too. Much simpler and cheaper and way less time consuming. Everyone is different, but I'm going to keep trying for my tiny slice of the big pie.

Arks said:
My solution, though not perfect, is to sell breakfast included on my website, breakfast excluded on Booking with extra 15% on prices, full open all year on Booking. No commission on breakfasts, benefiting of the billboard effect at most as visible all year on Booking/TA, ... with better offer direct to nail the customers. I suppose this is better than just closing the rooms (which is easy to do).
Unfortunately, most b&bs here in the U.S. can not charge for breakfast. If we charged, we would be considered a restaurant and have to have a commercial kitchen and a restaurant license.
Sounds like you don't have the same regulations we do, so I think you have a good idea for yourself!

Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
yes
I fought TA for a long time. Over the last couple of years I've dropped numerous b&b directories for lack of performance. A few months ago I started a TA biz listing. To my surprise, it paid for itself in the first month. I know this because of using Intell-a-keeper which is connected to my ResKey. I'm in a rural location and no one searches for lodging in my 'town', so I was surprised it performed for me so quickly.
I'm going to treat TA the same way I do all other directories. If it doesn't perform, out it goes. Yes, I resent the hell out of these companies, but I'll play along if it works and I think it won't harm me in the long term. My biggest bang for the buck is still google. Organic listings are still where it's at...that's where most of my reservations come from.
I long for the old days too. Much simpler and cheaper and way less time consuming. Everyone is different, but I'm going to keep trying for my tiny slice of the big pie.
Investing in TA (business listing + TripConnect) must be valuable for some (good marks) depending on location & type/origin of visitors.
This is not a simple business anymore. It is becoming a fight if you want to stay at the top. I doubt it will get better/easier. Seems like a few (companies) have found their way to many's wallets, trying to take much of our profits on the way.

Arks said:
Unfortunately, most b&bs here in the U.S. can not charge for breakfast. If we charged, we would be considered a restaurant and have to have a commercial kitchen and a restaurant license.
Sounds like you don't have the same regulations we do, so I think you have a good idea for yourself!
Breakfast Diva said:
In France, a B&B is called a "Chambre d'hôtes". Maximum 5 rooms, 15 persons, welcoming of the guests by the person living in the same house and breakfast included. No restaurant licence needed as long as we only serve food (including dinner) to those who slept in the house.

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and thought this would be a good place for me to start adding my 2 pence worth.
TA are very sneaky with how they advertise, for example if you don't have a business listing and aren't linked to Booking.com, Expedia, Toprooms or any of their other affiliates you will find that it appears to guests that they are searching for vacancies at your property. However they are actually searching their affiliate sites for properties near you. It then appears to the guest that you have no vacancies as you aren't showing up in the results. If this search facility was not there the guest would probably have looked up your number and called you. All of this means less direct bookings and more commission.
Now they have started their trip connect system the situation is worse, if you are (in my opinion) stupid enough to sign up to it you have to pay every time someone clicks on your property, regardless of whether or not it's the same person you have already paid for having a second look or not... and this doesn't even mean they will book, this is just pay per click not pay per booking.
Add to this the fact that they charge a small fortune for a "business" listing, which as far as I can tell only allows you to add your contact details and it's quite clear why owners loathe TA.
I have tried to get a property removed from TA before as the owner wanted to have nothing to do with them and their, but that's another story I will save for another day!
All in all I find the way they operate to be underhand, unfair and dishonest, and above all orientated to trick guests and owners alike into making them money... but there is a catch... TA is a massive brand known worldwide and it's proven that if you are listed on their site and linked to one of the affiliates you get more bookings.
It's a pretty big catch and sadly it also leaves you very little option other than to grin and bare it.

Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
yes
Investing in TA (business listing + TripConnect) must be valuable for some (good marks) depending on location & type/origin of visitors.
This is not a simple business anymore. It is becoming a fight if you want to stay at the top. I doubt it will get better/easier. Seems like a few (companies) have found their way to many's wallets, trying to take much of our profits on the way.
souslechene said:
Seems like a few (companies) have found their way to many's wallets, trying to take much of our profits on the way.
On this we can all agree
shades_smile.gif

They call about once a week from TA to get me onboard with the biz listing, and then with tripconnect and so on.
They have no history and act like I have never heard of TA before. I used to have a biz listing I tell them. They continue on, and I tell them it is too expensive, we won't have one again. They tell me they NOW have a payment plan...I said, I am not sure about your math skills, but breaking it down into 12 months is still the same total. It is still too expensive.
They try to convince me that once I pay them, for the listing then our rooms will overfloweth and we will be able to afford it.
Meanwhile, as you know I still don't have my images back up there, I will work on this.

3rd party bookings are UP big time this year compared to last. I think the change on TA is making a huge impact.
I have just looked at my 3rd party booking stats, comparing this year to last. My Jan-March '14 bookings/nights are even with the entire year of 2013.
So then I took a look at my ResKey nights reserved Jan-March '13 vs Jan-March '14, up 23% this year which includes all bookings.
To this I summarize that these 3rd parties are making the difference. Would I have these bookings without them? Maybe a few. Some people are just hooked on using one of these. I posted on another thread several reasons why, most stem to EASE of USE.

It is not for everyone, some are getting all the bookings they need/want. For me, right here, right now I am content with using them. I do swallow hard at times at the amount of commission, but I do have some that book again and book direct. I also try to educate them as to why it is best to book direct, this is when I usually get the reason(s) why they use the .com they do.

Back