Taking it personally

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two things I see:
The sun coming through in the morning, my word what a problem. That is just the icing on the cake for me.
Secondly, it may have been her, not him, and so it goes... I would tell them thank you for their feedback and nothing more.
"she has a new toilet seat," please don't say this. The furnishings are old but she has a new toilet seat. This is almost humorous, I would drop this from your responses unless you are going all out and trying to be humorous to guests. "Hey at least she has a new toilet seat!"
shades_smile.gif

Update - she wrote a long detailed email. Again promising not to review, but every single thing was wrong. Starting with my husband didn't introduce himself. (he remembers shaking the man's hand and introducing himself, but she was in the other room at the time.) The furniture is old. yes. The blinds let sun in in the morning. The curtains weren't ironed. (I'll own that one.) The apple pie wasn't a proper breakfast. (she didn't see the fruit plate, yogurt bar, juice and eggs.) The other guests were noisy. I think that is the big thing. They may have been. We didn't hear them. Can't ask them to quiet down if I don't hear them.
Anyway, we are very tempted to respond but we're thinking it through. I want to tell her that in the old room, she has a new toilet seat, shower head, towels, bedding, curtains, rugs, pillows and my favorite painting in the whole house. But I am trying to talk myself into keeping it simple, like, "we appreciate your honest feedback and take every comment seriously. We are planning to replace all window blinds this winter. I'm wondering if you missed the second breakfast presentation table with the fresh fruit salad, yogurt bar with assorted toppings and juice bar. We hope the rest of your vacation is a much more enjoyable experience.".
No. Don't. It's not necessary to tell them what they didn't see.
If you have to respond, keep in mind it could end up in a review they decide to write. ;-)
So, a simple thank you and you'll keep these things in mind as you continue your renovation work. Oh, and the innkeeper who didn't introduce himself? He's been fired. You had no idea he was so uncouth.
Dh never introduces himself. We don't shake hands. I do tell guests who we are but not fast enough for many of them. They're demanding to know who I am before they get in the door!

Two things I see:
The sun coming through in the morning, my word what a problem. That is just the icing on the cake for me.
Secondly, it may have been her, not him, and so it goes... I would tell them thank you for their feedback and nothing more.
"she has a new toilet seat," please don't say this. The furnishings are old but she has a new toilet seat. This is almost humorous, I would drop this from your responses unless you are going all out and trying to be humorous to guests. "Hey at least she has a new toilet seat!"
shades_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Two things I see:
shades_smile.gif
It is a little humorous. Just making the point that every single thing in the room has been replaced EXCEPT the blinds, so she complained about the blinds.
He told me goodbye and she was already in the car, so I assume it was mostly her.

Update - she wrote a long detailed email. Again promising not to review, but every single thing was wrong. Starting with my husband didn't introduce himself. (he remembers shaking the man's hand and introducing himself, but she was in the other room at the time.) The furniture is old. yes. The blinds let sun in in the morning. The curtains weren't ironed. (I'll own that one.) The apple pie wasn't a proper breakfast. (she didn't see the fruit plate, yogurt bar, juice and eggs.) The other guests were noisy. I think that is the big thing. They may have been. We didn't hear them. Can't ask them to quiet down if I don't hear them.
Anyway, we are very tempted to respond but we're thinking it through. I want to tell her that in the old room, she has a new toilet seat, shower head, towels, bedding, curtains, rugs, pillows and my favorite painting in the whole house. But I am trying to talk myself into keeping it simple, like, "we appreciate your honest feedback and take every comment seriously. We are planning to replace all window blinds this winter. I'm wondering if you missed the second breakfast presentation table with the fresh fruit salad, yogurt bar with assorted toppings and juice bar. We hope the rest of your vacation is a much more enjoyable experience.".
If you have to respond, keep in mind it could end up in a review they decide to write. ;-)
So, a simple thank you and you'll keep these things in mind as you continue your renovation work. Oh, and the innkeeper who didn't introduce himself? He's been fired. You had no idea he was so uncouth.
Dh never introduces himself. We don't shake hands. I do tell guests who we are but not fast enough for many of them. They're demanding to know who I am before they get in the door!
Madeleine said:
I couldn't help it. That breakfast was not skimpy, I don't care what anyone says. LOL
She actually says they never saw their hosts, but again, she was in the car before we could even come out to check on breakfast, so I guess it's on her. Anyway. Done. I'm off to read some 5 star reviews and enjoy the sun streaming through my windows. :)

I sent this back.
Thank you for your feedback. We take every comment seriously. We are continuing to renovate the property. This winter's projects include new window shades in every room.
(I'm afraid you might have missed the second breakfast presentation table around the corner in the breakfast room. It had a bowl of fresh cantalope, honeydew and orange slices, along with two kinds of juice, hard boiled eggs, assorted cereals and milk and a yogurt bar with several toppings.)
To confirm, we did not charge you for your second night. We wish you a relaxing and fun cruise.
Best regards, Mr. Beach

Madeleine said:
I couldn't help it. That breakfast was not skimpy, I don't care what anyone says. LOL
She actually says they never saw their hosts, but again, she was in the car before we could even come out to check on breakfast, so I guess it's on her. Anyway. Done. I'm off to read some 5 star reviews and enjoy the sun streaming through my windows. :)
thumbs_up.gif
Nuf said.

I don't introduce myself ever and I don't usually shake hands. And don't even THINK of asking me to put on a name tag.

I sent this back.
Thank you for your feedback. We take every comment seriously. We are continuing to renovate the property. This winter's projects include new window shades in every room.
(I'm afraid you might have missed the second breakfast presentation table around the corner in the breakfast room. It had a bowl of fresh cantalope, honeydew and orange slices, along with two kinds of juice, hard boiled eggs, assorted cereals and milk and a yogurt bar with several toppings.)
To confirm, we did not charge you for your second night. We wish you a relaxing and fun cruise.
Best regards, Mr. Beach.
Sorry this happened to you, Beachie. :-(
Your reply was good. Sometimes guests just want to have the last word and anything beyond a reply of "thanks for your comments and we're always striving to improve" will just come off as defensive to that guest.
We have all been there where we had to make critical decisions on which project/replacement to do at what time depending on our resources.
Here's hoping that your next guests will be wonderful!
heart.gif

I sent this back.
Best regards, Mr. Beach.
Your reply was good. Sometimes guests just want to have the last word and anything beyond a reply of "thanks for your comments and we're always striving to improve" will just come off as defensive to that guest.
We have all been there where we had to make critical decisions on which project/replacement to do at what time depending on our resources.
heart.gif

Today's check ins are all raving about the place. Back to work. :)
Thanks everyone for your help, support, humor and letting me vent.
We bought new art for the room today and darned if it doesn't look better!

I sent this back.
Best regards, Mr. Beach.
heart.gif

Today's check ins are all raving about the place. Back to work. :)
Thanks everyone for your help, support, humor and letting me vent.
We bought new art for the room today and darned if it doesn't look better!
Back to the 99.9%

Just catching up with posts from the last week. I hope this experience has since been buried with all new, happy guests. I don't think anyone could have met their expectations - they seem like just those type of people.

Just catching up with posts from the last week. I hope this experience has since been buried with all new, happy guests. I don't think anyone could have met their expectations - they seem like just those type of people..
BananaE29 said:
Just catching up with posts from the last week. I hope this experience has since been buried with all new, happy guests. I don't think anyone could have met their expectations - they seem like just those type of people.
Thanks. We had a couple in the same room check out this morning and they can't wait to recommend this place to her parents who are doing the same New England tour in a month or so. :)

Got this in an email today. Fits perfectly.
The pedant (that's what we call someone who is pedantic, a picker of nits, eager to find the little thing that's wrong or out of place) is afraid.
He's afraid and he's projecting his fear on you, the person who did something, who shipped something, who stood up and said, "here, I made this."
Without a doubt, when the Beatles played Shea Stadium, Paul was a little out of tune. Without a doubt, the Gettysburg Address had one or two word choice issues. Without a doubt, that restaurant down the street isn't perfect.
That's okay. They made something.
Sure, make it better, by all means put in the time to bring us your best work. But no, of course not, no, the pedant is not our audience, nor is he making as much of a difference as he would like to believe.
Seth Godin's blog.

The pedant (that's what we call someone who is pedantic, a picker of nits, eager to find the little thing that's wrong or out of place) is afraid.
He's afraid and he's projecting his fear on you, the person who did something, who shipped something, who stood up and said, "here, I made this."
Without a doubt, when the Beatles played Shea Stadium, Paul was a little out of tune. Without a doubt, the Gettysburg Address had one or two word choice issues. Without a doubt, that restaurant down the street isn't perfect.
Sure, make it better, by all means put in the time to bring us your best work. But no, of course not, no, the pedant is not our audience, nor is he making as much of a difference as he would like to believe.
Seth Godin's blog..
Madeleine said:
Seth Godin's blog.
:)

Seth Godin's blog..
Madeleine said:
...nor is he making as much of a difference as he would like to believe.
Oh yes, they think they're doing us a great favor by giving us the benefit of their taste and their good eye that spots all our shortcomings.

Seth Godin's blog..
Madeleine said:
...nor is he making as much of a difference as he would like to believe.
Oh yes, they think they're doing us a great favor by giving us the benefit of their taste and their good eye that spots all our shortcomings.
this is a perfect example - lovely dutch couple - he was here for work she was on hols gave us all 10's on B.com (this is top score) did their review in their native tounge which I did on google translate to the only negative was "traffic was busier than expected" this was due to when driving in our picturesque dales it was busier than they expected we had a chat about it and discussed being stuck behind lorries and hay waggons etc - feel its not really on to do a negative about my property which is really about traffic 10 miles away? but figure I will run with the 10 other 10 out of 10's!

Back