Testing And Introducing New Variations....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bit. Had a credit on AMZN so took it. My gift to me this year is a large food processor. This business pushes us to be good cooks. The positive reviews are definitely positive reinforcement. I'm currently exploring salt-free with flavor. Doc's orders for DH

I found a crepe recipe that uses fresh herbs in the batter. Then the filling was scrambled eggs with a cheese sauce combined with the cooked egg, and then as a topping when you make the whole thing. I thought a savoury crepe would be good. Something different for a change.

I bit. Had a credit on AMZN so took it. My gift to me this year is a large food processor. This business pushes us to be good cooks. The positive reviews are definitely positive reinforcement. I'm currently exploring salt-free with flavor. Doc's orders for DH.
I actually bought it with A2Z as well. Their local price offered hardly a discount, so I had my cousin by it for me and deliver it to the hotel we were staying at. I've read the book from cover to cover twice already and I have at least two grocery lists from it. BTW, she's the Sarabeth from Sarabeth's Preserves.

I found a crepe recipe that uses fresh herbs in the batter. Then the filling was scrambled eggs with a cheese sauce combined with the cooked egg, and then as a topping when you make the whole thing. I thought a savoury crepe would be good. Something different for a change..
Real savoury crepes are actually called a galette and made with buckwheat flour.

well, I'm all for trying new recipes - but no I can't eat fish at breakfast. not smoked salmon ever.
I am so simple!
But ... my big question is how do you make such breakfasts without shooting your expenses through the roof? For example, where I am gruyere, boursin and goat cheese are very expensive..
It's all about using it in small quantities. Especially Gruyere which has a strong flavour.

So. I wanted to report back a bit. The Bloody Marys.... not popular enough. The mix she had is strong (or I am measuring wrong). The pickles associated with the recipe... so delicious, especially the jicama, which I wasn't expecting. Making them on their own to serve, or make them with the Bloody Marys for your friends. Too good for guests!
The apple butter recipe just works too well. It's a beautiful apple butter. And the omelette with it, exceptional. Small amount of the apple butter and a very old cheddar. Guests love it.
Oh the Two Salmon Rillette... definitely works well. Really cuts down on the cost of providing lox by extending it, but also it has a great flavour on it's own.
I'll write more as we try going through the book
Oh and for Jamie Oliver's Granola Dust recipe, that in the online video. You can use any oats you want. It's not a big seller, but it's going well. And we can use it in pancakes or throw it on top of the yogurt and it's certainly cheaper than bought granola.

So. I wanted to report back a bit. The Bloody Marys.... not popular enough. The mix she had is strong (or I am measuring wrong). The pickles associated with the recipe... so delicious, especially the jicama, which I wasn't expecting. Making them on their own to serve, or make them with the Bloody Marys for your friends. Too good for guests!
The apple butter recipe just works too well. It's a beautiful apple butter. And the omelette with it, exceptional. Small amount of the apple butter and a very old cheddar. Guests love it.
Oh the Two Salmon Rillette... definitely works well. Really cuts down on the cost of providing lox by extending it, but also it has a great flavour on it's own.
I'll write more as we try going through the book
Oh and for Jamie Oliver's Granola Dust recipe, that in the online video. You can use any oats you want. It's not a big seller, but it's going well. And we can use it in pancakes or throw it on top of the yogurt and it's certainly cheaper than bought granola..
Got mine and am looking forward to trying a l o t of the recipes. Plus it's just a beautiful book. I bought 4 cookbooks this past year, more than in the last decade.

I love how adventurous you all are! That must come with your experience so I hope to get to that level one day. Next year I'll graduate to offering crepes and stratas in the mix. Frittatas were this year's addition and I'm comfortable with it. But Mort, pot stickers??? Love that idea!! What would you serve with it? I'm guessing maybe sausage. Would you serve a side of some type of egg or is this the sweet portion of your offering?.
The pot stickers would be the starter. They would come before eggs.
When we started, Gomez would absolutely not veer from a recipe by a teaspoon. We had casseroles every day. With no deviation from whatever someone else said was right.
After maybe 2-3 years he got more comfortable and started branching out to cooking the breakfast after the guest sat down.
Now we have omelets, scrambled eggs, pancakes, waffles, etc. Crêpes are coming but I've been saying that for years. We're trying another recipe. All of the crepes we've made so far were way too thick and sweet.
Did you listen to me for a crepe recipe? NO!
1 cup flour
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter (melted) or oil
Mix it all together, preferable with an immersion (hand) blender. Then let sit in the fridge for 60 minutes. It will need all that time for the flour to relax. You can't skip this time step. When you take it out of the fridge, you can mix it again with the immersion blender. Ladle it on to hot crepe pan, and swirl it to cover the pan. Use a little extra if you missed parts of the pan or pour out extra
You can cook on only one side and then reheat them on the other side, when you need them.
Most of the recipes that I see skip the time step, so they try to use half the liquid and get thick crepes instead. I've been using this recipe for over 25 years to make my crepes and blintzes.
A cheap hand blender is maybe $12.55 at WallyWorld and $10.78 at AtoZ. The better ones come with a whisk attachment (to whip cream and a little chopper, to chop some veggies.
I know this is an older thread, but I did the Generic crepes and I think they turned out pretty good. I'll fill them tomorrow with scrambled eggs, ham and cheese. Sauté in a little butter after they're folded into a nice little parcel and serve with some cherry tomatoes and oven roasted potatoes. My first attempt at crepes. Think I need a crepe pan though. The sides were high on my frying pan and it was a bit tricky getting the spatula underneath to flip.

I love how adventurous you all are! That must come with your experience so I hope to get to that level one day. Next year I'll graduate to offering crepes and stratas in the mix. Frittatas were this year's addition and I'm comfortable with it. But Mort, pot stickers??? Love that idea!! What would you serve with it? I'm guessing maybe sausage. Would you serve a side of some type of egg or is this the sweet portion of your offering?.
When we started, Gomez would absolutely not veer from a recipe by a teaspoon. We had casseroles every day. With no deviation from whatever someone else said was right.
After maybe 2-3 years he got more comfortable and started branching out to cooking the breakfast after the guest sat down.
Now we have omelets, scrambled eggs, pancakes, waffles, etc. Crêpes are coming but I've been saying that for years. We're trying another recipe. All of the crepes we've made so far were way too thick and sweet.
1 cup flour
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
Mix it all together, preferable with an immersion (hand) blender. Then let sit in the fridge for 60 minutes. It will need all that time for the flour to relax. You can't skip this time step. When you take it out of the fridge, you can mix it again with the immersion blender. Ladle it on to hot crepe pan, and swirl it to cover the pan. Use a little extra if you missed parts of the pan or pour out extra
You can cook on only one side and then reheat them on the other side, when you need them.
Most of the recipes that I see skip the time step, so they try to use half the liquid and get thick crepes instead. I've been using this recipe for over 25 years to make my crepes and blintzes.
A cheap hand blender is maybe $12.55 at WallyWorld and $10.78 at AtoZ. The better ones come with a whisk attachment (to whip cream and a little chopper, to chop some veggies.
I know this is an older thread, but I did the Generic crepes and I think they turned out pretty good. I'll fill them tomorrow with scrambled eggs, ham and cheese. Sauté in a little butter after they're folded into a nice little parcel and serve with some cherry tomatoes and oven roasted potatoes. My first attempt at crepes. Think I need a crepe pan though. The sides were high on my frying pan and it was a bit tricky getting the spatula underneath to flip.
I use the Starfrit. Often on sale at WallyWorld for $10. It's sold as Starfrit Multi-Pan for $11.97

1 cup flour
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
I use the Starfrit. Often on sale at WallyWorld for $10. It's sold as Starfrit Multi-Pan for $11.97
I'll look for it. Thanks.

Worst breakfast I ever had at a b and b before we had one, was pork pot stickers. The owner was alovely aisan woman who was trying to sell her B and b as a zen style paradise. Potstickers are really heavy and not zen. I like piroges and latkes and even wontons but pot stickers suck for breakfast. Just my opinion, but we have laughed for years at this breakast..
We have been to a B&B that served fried rice with a side of Pop Tarts. No thanks!

Worst breakfast I ever had at a b and b before we had one, was pork pot stickers. The owner was alovely aisan woman who was trying to sell her B and b as a zen style paradise. Potstickers are really heavy and not zen. I like piroges and latkes and even wontons but pot stickers suck for breakfast. Just my opinion, but we have laughed for years at this breakast..
We have been to a B&B that served fried rice with a side of Pop Tarts. No thanks!
Were they at least Blueberry or Raspberry Pop Tarts? Because I won't eat the Strawberry or Fudge. :)

Were they at least Blueberry or Raspberry Pop Tarts? Because I won't eat the Strawberry or Fudge. :)
wink_smile.gif

Back