That loud noise you just heard...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With as much as I gave to the art teacher at the high school, to the future museum, to the kids plundering through the workshop, dolls to daughters & granddaughters, and art supplies to daughters - I still have rooms full of stuff.
I went to show a guest (return) a flintlock Himself made and it was gone. I went bananas. Fortunately before I screamed at anyone, I checked with Finland to see if it was one he had taken home with him. It was not, but he told me where he had put them - out of temptation zone of the too many hands that were here. Was able to show it at breakfast to someone who appreciated the craftsmanship of Himself.
I have someone coming next week to look at tools and dolls. Found out my $125 kerosene lamp purchased in an antique shop 30 years ago is now worth maybe $40. Sigh. I am trying to downsize now, not later..
we are trying to be strict as had been hoarding lots of stuff in "case it came in for next door" now we know it won't so it has to go!

A newbie here in town was explaining her 'rainy day' project of cleaning out the previous owners' paint (yes, it had gone back to 1994 - 2 past owners). Here's what she found:
*13 5-gallon buckets
*3 2-gallon cans
*53 1-gallon cans
and she stopped counting the quart cans at 20!
omg_smile.gif

A newbie here in town was explaining her 'rainy day' project of cleaning out the previous owners' paint (yes, it had gone back to 1994 - 2 past owners). Here's what she found:
*13 5-gallon buckets
*3 2-gallon cans
*53 1-gallon cans
omg_smile.gif
We had a 'Rover' in VT that would park at the town hall every few months. You could bring all your 'hazardous' materials there and they would dispose of them.
If you didn't want to wait, there was a permanent installation in Burlington. If you were adventurous you could go home with a 5 gal pail of 'paint'. They dumped all the latex paint in one hopper and all the oil paint in another. You got whatever the color of the week was.
I reorganized all the paint last year. I have a 4 shelf bookcase in the basement. It's about 5 feet long. It's full. But, that is the limit. Something has to go before the new paint comes in.
Just bought new paint for the front door - cranberry. It's only a quart. There's room for it...
I grabbed a gallon of paint from the cellar that had been down there for probably 7 years. Shook it up, opened it, and slapped it on the wall. Looks great!
Love my colors.

*13 5-gallon buckets
*3 2-gallon cans
*53 1-gallon cans
omg_smile.gif
I limit myself to 1 gal and 1 qt sizes. I couldn't pour from a 5 gal pail.
That's a lotta paint she found!
I will say there is a can of 'melon' color in the cellar that can go anytime. It's way too orange. We don't have a place to dispose of paint here. I should ask next time I'm at the paint store if they know where to take it.

Painting? We have no fewer than 3 dozen cans of used paint in the basement. One thing I've found incredibly liberating is to forgo the white ceiling and paint it the same color as the walls! Another is to bite the bullet and pay a little extra for the paint with the primer in it..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Another is to bite the bullet and pay a little extra for the paint with the primer in it.
I should have realized. The PO's used a lot of cheap stuff. It would have been so much easier with the primer.

*13 5-gallon buckets
*3 2-gallon cans
*53 1-gallon cans
omg_smile.gif
I limit myself to 1 gal and 1 qt sizes. I couldn't pour from a 5 gal pail.
That's a lotta paint she found!
I will say there is a can of 'melon' color in the cellar that can go anytime. It's way too orange. We don't have a place to dispose of paint here. I should ask next time I'm at the paint store if they know where to take it.
Morticia said:
I will say there is a can of 'melon' color in the cellar that can go anytime. It's way too orange.
I have to laugh, that sounds like some colors I've used recently. Years ago I purchased some yellow for a job that looked too yellow when we started, but mixed with several gallons of white worked well, you may just need some white to go with your melon.
Around here you are not allowed to dispose of "wet" paint, but I think you can let it dry out in the can for an extended period and trash it when it is hardened.

Back