That whole rules thing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friends called last night with the name of a guest who caused a rumpus, trying to make sure they hadn't then traveled to this town. The guests called the innkeepers around 8 PM to say the people in the next room were too loud, could they take care of that? Innkeepers went to room, asked guests to please lower the volume. Not even sure there was a problem as the innkeepers didn't hear anything but mentioned there was a complaint about the noise. Innkeeper gets a text at 2 AM saying the other room was at it again, they couldn't sleep, etc.
Innkeeper didn't charge them for the room.
He showed the text to the offending 'noisy' guests and they said that wasn't true at all. They were sound asleep.
Complainers drove off and yelled at the other guests, 'Thanks! You got us a free stay for being so noisy!'
Innkeeper says he felt completely taken by the couple.
This is another reason we're so hesitant and torn about believing stuff guests tell us.
So, was one room noisy or did the other guests just keep complaining about something that wasn't really happening to get a free stay?.
Madeleine said:
Friends called last night with the name of a guest who caused a rumpus, trying to make sure they hadn't then traveled to this town. The guests called the innkeepers around 8 PM to say the people in the next room were too loud, could they take care of that? Innkeepers went to room, asked guests to please lower the volume. Not even sure there was a problem as the innkeepers didn't hear anything but mentioned there was a complaint about the noise. Innkeeper gets a text at 2 AM saying the other room was at it again, they couldn't sleep, etc.
Innkeeper didn't charge them for the room.
He showed the text to the offending 'noisy' guests and they said that wasn't true at all. They were sound asleep.
Complainers drove off and yelled at the other guests, 'Thanks! You got us a free stay for being so noisy!'
Innkeeper says he felt completely taken by the couple.
This is another reason we're so hesitant and torn about believing stuff guests tell us.
So, was one room noisy or did the other guests just keep complaining about something that wasn't really happening to get a free stay?
We can all point to all the open reviews giving more and more people these ideas.
Given the innkeeper did not hear noise after the first call. I would have gone to the door of the noisy room at 2am to listen, not to disturb.
Wonder just how loud they would have to be to create such a disturbance? They may want to test that. Once the noise level is loud enough to bother the room next door, leave it and see if they can hear it outside the room door as well. - This may not be a bad idea for all of us. Be prepared for these sleaze ball scamers.
Or, instead of listening outside the door of the aleged noisy folks, knock on the door of the complainers. Listen from their room. Call them on their complaint.
That way, you haven't disturbed anyone who isn't already disturbed. And you can hear first hand what the problem is (if any.)
TheBeachHouse said:
Or, instead of listening outside the door of the aleged noisy folks, knock on the door of the complainers. Listen from their room. Call them on their complaint.
That way, you haven't disturbed anyone who isn't already disturbed. And you can hear first hand what the problem is (if any.)
You're going to make a great innkeeper!!
embaressed_smile.gif

Early continental breakfast here was in a "to go" bag put in their fridge the night before at turndown (or handed to them) - usually yogurt, muffin, banana or orange, (maybe a little bag of granola), small OJ or cranberry juice, plastic spoon, nice paper napkin, hand wipe, and a mint. We had the 24 hour coffee/tea thing with to-go cups, soooooooo.... No getting up super early here!
If they left their to-go bag, it became MY breakfast. ;-)

Early continental breakfast here was in a "to go" bag put in their fridge the night before at turndown (or handed to them) - usually yogurt, muffin, banana or orange, (maybe a little bag of granola), small OJ or cranberry juice, plastic spoon, nice paper napkin, hand wipe, and a mint. We had the 24 hour coffee/tea thing with to-go cups, soooooooo.... No getting up super early here!
If they left their to-go bag, it became MY breakfast. ;-).
Samster said:
That's a really nice idea. I'm gonna pinch that if you don't mind.
At the moment for a very early breakfast we leave things out in the dinning room like juice, toaster/bread, cereals and milk, but not too keen on this idea for 2 reasons. 1) The dinning room is just down the hall from our bedroom so 9/10 people wake us. 2) I don't like the idea of leaving things out all night like milk/juice, even though I put them in bowls of ice and they're still cold in the morning, and I cover everything with cling film.

Samster said:
That's a really nice idea. I'm gonna pinch that if you don't mind.
At the moment for a very early breakfast we leave things out in the dinning room like juice, toaster/bread, cereals and milk, but not too keen on this idea for 2 reasons. 1) The dinning room is just down the hall from our bedroom so 9/10 people wake us. 2) I don't like the idea of leaving things out all night like milk/juice, even though I put them in bowls of ice and they're still cold in the morning, and I cover everything with cling film.
Pinch away.... ;-)
It certainly made my life easier and I never had anyone take someone else's clearly labeled to-go brekkie in the shared fridge in the main house (other 3 rooms had their own fridges).
People really liked it, too.

How often do you get asked for an early breakfast? We were planning on continental available 8 - 10. We are thinking vacation hours, but now that I think of it, I bet there are folks who want to get 'an early start.'

How often do you get asked for an early breakfast? We were planning on continental available 8 - 10. We are thinking vacation hours, but now that I think of it, I bet there are folks who want to get 'an early start.'
TheBeachHouse said:
It really depends on your market. Is check-out at 11? You will have guests showing up at 10 and dawdling and then going back to the room to shower.
Give those hours a try but don't be afraid to change if it's not working. Keep in mind that you have to be around for those 2 hours to make sure everything stays filled.
Also, in your area are there things to do that start at 8 AM? Boats to somewhere? You may get requests for earlier breakfast from folks wanting to get on the boat.
We get asked for early breakfast a couple of times/month. Same as we get pushed for later breakfast by guests showing up exactly at 9:30. Because we have to cook the breakfast, on a day like today it meant being 'done' with breakfast at 10:45 (guests gone from the dining room, tables cleared, coffee dumped, juices put away, kitchen cleaned). WAY after the time we need to be done to get to the rooms to clean them.

TheBeachHouse said:
It really depends on your market. Is check-out at 11? You will have guests showing up at 10 and dawdling and then going back to the room to shower.
Give those hours a try but don't be afraid to change if it's not working. Keep in mind that you have to be around for those 2 hours to make sure everything stays filled.
Also, in your area are there things to do that start at 8 AM? Boats to somewhere? You may get requests for earlier breakfast from folks wanting to get on the boat.
We get asked for early breakfast a couple of times/month. Same as we get pushed for later breakfast by guests showing up exactly at 9:30. Because we have to cook the breakfast, on a day like today it meant being 'done' with breakfast at 10:45 (guests gone from the dining room, tables cleared, coffee dumped, juices put away, kitchen cleaned). WAY after the time we need to be done to get to the rooms to clean them.
Thanks. Yes, check out is at 11.
It's a continental buffet, so not as active as your full breakfast. I agree we need to keep an eye on the juice and milk, but the breads and fruit will pretty much be a one time offer (I think....though I've been a chamber maid and been in the restaurant biz, I don't know this place well yet.)
We are generally early risers, so moving it earlier won't hurt us, but we don't want the yogurt sitting for an hour before people start coming down. We are following the hours that the current owner uses.

TheBeachHouse said:
You made me think so I checked the local whale watch boats. The morning departure is 9 AM. It wouldn't be too difficult to move breakfast up to 7:30 if someone asked. (Again, we are generally up by 5:30 or 6 anyway.)

TheBeachHouse said:
It's a continental buffet, so not as active as your full breakfast. I agree we need to keep an eye on the juice and milk, but the breads and fruit will pretty much be a one time offer (I think....though I've been a chamber maid and been in the restaurant biz, I don't know this place well yet.)
We are generally early risers, so moving it earlier won't hurt us, but we don't want the yogurt sitting for an hour before people start coming down. We are following the hours that the current owner uses.
How about putting your yogurt in a bowl with these re-usable ice cubes to be sure it stays cold without a wet mess to deal with? We put a couple in the insulated milk and creamer containers as well....just to be sure the dairy stays cold.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/30-reusable-ice-cubes/1016143944

TheBeachHouse said:
How about putting your yogurt in a bowl with these re-usable ice cubes to be sure it stays cold without a wet mess to deal with? We put a couple in the insulated milk and creamer containers as well....just to be sure the dairy stays cold.
great idea! Thanks!

TheBeachHouse said:
Reusable ice cubes. Duh. We have been using real ice and what a mess. Looking that up right now!

TheBeachHouse said:
You made me think so I checked the local whale watch boats. The morning departure is 9 AM. It wouldn't be too difficult to move breakfast up to 7:30 if someone asked. (Again, we are generally up by 5:30 or 6 anyway.)
TheBeachHouse said:
Here's a problem...you have told the other guests at check-in that breakfast is from 8-10. Now a guest rolls in and asks to eat early. And you are running breakfast for 2.5 hours. OK, you're new. You have tons more energy than I have at this point, but don't wear yourselves out and don't start off offering the world. It's easier to add than take away.
Have a 'to go' bag if that works for you. A 'whale watch breakfast'. (Ordered in advance so you don't get slammed the morning of.) Get paper bags and ink stamp them with whales and seashells. (You can do a ton of them on a slow day.) Put together something nice and other whale watchers will be asking where that nice breakfast came from...free advertising!

TheBeachHouse said:
Reusable ice cubes. Duh. We have been using real ice and what a mess. Looking that up right now!
Yup, and they go right into the dishwasher at the end of breakfast, then back into the freezer. Buy plenty because they have lots of uses.

TheBeachHouse said:
Yup, and they go right into the dishwasher at the end of breakfast, then back into the freezer. Buy plenty because they have lots of uses.
Told DH this yesterday and he was not convinced. Not sure why but I'm going to try it anyway. They are for sale at BB&B for $5 for 30. Will be going next week!

TheBeachHouse said:
Told DH this yesterday and he was not convinced. Not sure why but I'm going to try it anyway. They are for sale at BB&B for $5 for 30. Will be going next week!
Get yourself on their mailing list and they send you coupons in email that you can use. And they seem to take them even after they expire at some stores. (I know they also mail them and put them in the newspaper, but I can't get them that way and they won't ship here, even if they have stores in other provinces.)

TheBeachHouse said:
Get yourself on their mailing list and they send you coupons in email that you can use. And they seem to take them even after they expire at some stores. (I know they also mail them and put them in the newspaper, but I can't get them that way and they won't ship here, even if they have stores in other provinces.)
My SIL provides me with more of those coupons than I can use in a year. Better still, the BB&B up the road from me hosts an innkeeper evening where everything is 20% off, no coupons needed. I gave one to a guest yesterday who was outfitting her son's dorm room. I guess they don't have coupons like that in Spain because I had to explain how to use it.

And a new one today... if you are a late check in you MUST come to the desk to sign your paperwork in the morning. This couple has been here 2 days, we haven't seen them and they are still in the room. The shower is running, the door to the room is wide open and they 'need another 30-40 minutes'.
I told them zero minutes. You're already late. Of course, not having actually checked-in they don't know about the late fee.
And, yes, one of them looked around the door at me while telling me they were in the shower.

And a new one today... if you are a late check in you MUST come to the desk to sign your paperwork in the morning. This couple has been here 2 days, we haven't seen them and they are still in the room. The shower is running, the door to the room is wide open and they 'need another 30-40 minutes'.
I told them zero minutes. You're already late. Of course, not having actually checked-in they don't know about the late fee.
And, yes, one of them looked around the door at me while telling me they were in the shower..
Sign on the back of the door...
Check-Out by 10:59AM
You see people see 11AM as 11:59AM, but 10:59AM is different

And, yes, one of them looked around the door at me while telling me they were in the shower..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
'We didn't see ANY signs until you came to the door.' Honking load of bullshit that was.
(I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation. So much so that we turned down a guest for another night tonight.)

Back