The end is near

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We changed our entire price structure.
Instead of three price tiers for 6 rooms, we have a different price for each room. Now, if you book the 'down the hall' room, you will know that you paid the lowest price point of all 6 rooms.
And if you want the room everyone wants, you will pay the highest price.
We also did away with 'shoulder season.' We now have Peak Season and Winter Season.
I would love to get rid of the rollaway, but it does get used..
Easiest way to get rid of a rollaway....price it out of convenience. If it's $20 now, move to $25 then $30 then $35. Eventually you will hit a price that either makes you smile each time they rent it or makes them stop renting it.
We do charge and we do giggle slightly. Having the rollaway diminishes the comfort of the room, but makes the room cost more. Bad deal, in my mind.

I've been thinking of actually posting a rate of $40 per hour (30 minute minimum) for special extraordinary requests at the discretion of management. From time to time we get some requests that are just giant time wasters for us. This way if someone does ask us to do something extraordinary (buy something for them in town, pick up something, etc.) I can just point at that policy and say that there is an extra charge, is that okay?
I do want to get people to ask me about where to go, etc. But when they ask me to pick up something for them or the want me to have something special for them or even if they want me to wash down the sheets three times with bleach, I have a policy that I can point to..
Some things I am happy to do at little if no charge but lost property postage is one of my big bug bears - we now have a $10 min charge - when they wind me up its " we will send a cheque for postage" no you won't
1 - postage
2- jiffy bag
3 10.5% VAT (Tax on turnover just to take the money)
4- my time to go to the stupid postoffice which with xmas post if full of people who rarely post anything and can't use the self service machines properly and hold up the whole queue! grre
this is basically an hour out of my day and you think its ok to send me postage? LOl
I just got a card in the mail with $10. This never happens. It was too pay for sending something back. Amazing!
For me I balance it out - how much is this going to cost me? How long did the guest stay? Where they nice about asking for it back or did they demand it sent back without even knowing if it was here? I know, too many variables!
Mort, I was the same way with sending things back by post. Once had a guest leave several clothing items in an armoire. That would have cost $$$ to send back, plus my time to mail it back. Had the guest send a prepaid box to me which worked out well. He knew exactly what it cost and all I had to do was box it and drop off. (No waiting in line!)
I think I learned that here on the forum from someone a lot smarter than myself.... ;-)
Samster said:
Mort, I was the same way with sending things back by post. Once had a guest leave several clothing items in an armoire. That would have cost $$$ to send back, plus my time to mail it back. Had the guest send a prepaid box to me which worked out well. He knew exactly what it cost and all I had to do was box it and drop off. (No waiting in line!)
I think I learned that here on the forum from someone a lot smarter than myself.... ;-)
I add on $10 per shipment for "handling charges" (you always hear "postage and handling" when charges are being added. It more than covers my time, and with more and more forgetful guests, is actually becoming a viable revenue center for us!

One thing we finally did was charge more on weekends than midweek, ie thurs and sunday are less price.
we have so many one nighter for cncerts and graduations and such I figured I would go for it and We have not raised rates forever.

One thing we finally did was charge more on weekends than midweek, ie thurs and sunday are less price.
we have so many one nighter for cncerts and graduations and such I figured I would go for it and We have not raised rates forever..
Good planning. Especially if it's a lot of one nighters.

Different toilet paper and tissue supplier. This year I mistakenly bought two cases of tissues and they are horrible. Going to give the remaining case to the community center. They can either give them away or sell them in the food pantry.
Also, going to add another table in the dining room. A two top. We were going to do a counter but figure no one would sit at it.

How are your add-ons upsells for the year? We had some different items this year that didn't make the A-list. I will remove them for 2016 and rethink it a bit.

How are your add-ons upsells for the year? We had some different items this year that didn't make the A-list. I will remove them for 2016 and rethink it a bit..
Mostly just the tickets to the amusements. Other stuff like cheese trays, flowers, etc were negligible. I leave them out there just because.
I'll be revamping some of them to reduce the price. I think some are too high. But most are priced at cost, I don't make anything on the add ons. Maybe $5. So I need to remove the pricier items.
Babymoon packages did well. Especially as a gift card item. We sold several to happy grandparents.

Already did my change. Planted blueberry and blackberry bushes. If I could figure out where to put it, would like to plant a dwarf apple and a dwarf peach. Himself would have a cow! He was not pleased when I bought a new rhodo

Back