The Grandsons are coming! The Grandsons are coming!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
Within the next 2 hours or so, Grandsons # 4 & 5 will be arriving with their Dad (middle son). I have seen #5 about 3 times in his almost 6 years (birthday in August). The last time was the Memorial Service and that took a court order for him to come (nuff said).
I made Granny's Molassas Cookies and my maple pecan granola today. Supperis in the crock pot. Bought each boy (#4 will be 12 in November) a 1 lb bag of carrots to feed to the camel. Tomorrow taking them to Blennerhassett Island - sternwheeler to the island & back, tour the Mansion, and a horse-drawn wagon ride. Then we will go to North Bend State Park for supper and I have a Foundation meeting so they can hike on the trails (they hike a lot). I only get them for a couple daysbut I take what I can get. (This time he did not tell her he was bringing #5 until it was too late to take him to court on it.)
I hope you saw the photos below. they show the craftmanship of himself with wood.

So wonderful when we get to see our grands!
heart.gif

We had a grand day. First we took my saxophone (the alto my parents bought for me in the middle 50s- used!) to the music shop to get repaired (he found the mouthpiece - it was stuck in the horn) and they fixed it today. We pick it up tomottow. the 11 year old wants to play Granny's sax - and he said it means a lot that it was mine. first time any of them have made a statement like that.
The boys got to go into the pilot house on the sternwheeler and actually turn the wheel (and I did too!!). The last thing we did before leaving the island was the horse-drawn wagon ride. There were only 2 others on the ride and the girl driving the horses invited the boys to sit beside her. They loved it!

We had a grand day. First we took my saxophone (the alto my parents bought for me in the middle 50s- used!) to the music shop to get repaired (he found the mouthpiece - it was stuck in the horn) and they fixed it today. We pick it up tomottow. the 11 year old wants to play Granny's sax - and he said it means a lot that it was mine. first time any of them have made a statement like that.
The boys got to go into the pilot house on the sternwheeler and actually turn the wheel (and I did too!!). The last thing we did before leaving the island was the horse-drawn wagon ride. There were only 2 others on the ride and the girl driving the horses invited the boys to sit beside her. They loved it!.
heart.gif

they left yesterday morning. We cremmed a lot into those 2 days. My son said Grant was playing blowing on the sax as soon as they got home. I bought a beginner book for him that has fingerings,explanations of key signatures,etc and a DVD to show things as well as play along with. My sax was a bigger hit than the muzleloader rifle made by his grandfather.
This rifle stock is curly maple aka tiger maple and started as a block of wood about 7 feet long, about 10 inches at the butt, and 5 inches thick. Using only the tools available in the 18th century, this is what my John made. As done then, the barrel was purchased from the barrel maker as was the lock. He also bought the "furniture" - the butt plate and the lock plate and then filed them to the shape he wanted for the design. He also made both the front and back sights from steel bar stock (I know he made one sight for a rifle from a piece of railroad spike). ALL the carving wasdone by John. He did the staining & finishing of the wood as well as the blueing of the rifle - a heat and chemical process done on my stove.
GrantsRifle-gillumhouse.JPG

RifleButt-gillumhouse.JPG

This is John's carving on the rifle butt.
Rifletop-gillumhouse.JPG

Looking down on the rifle with trigger guard on floor - more carving- and John filed the butt plate to conform to his design

The boys got to go into the pilot house on the sternwheeler and actually turn the wheel (and I did too!!). The last thing we did before leaving the island was the horse-drawn wagon ride. There were only 2 others on the ride and the girl driving the horses invited the boys to sit beside her. They loved it!.
So glad you all had a great time!
thumbs_up.gif

they left yesterday morning. We cremmed a lot into those 2 days. My son said Grant was playing blowing on the sax as soon as they got home. I bought a beginner book for him that has fingerings,explanations of key signatures,etc and a DVD to show things as well as play along with. My sax was a bigger hit than the muzleloader rifle made by his grandfather.
This rifle stock is curly maple aka tiger maple and started as a block of wood about 7 feet long, about 10 inches at the butt, and 5 inches thick. Using only the tools available in the 18th century, this is what my John made. As done then, the barrel was purchased from the barrel maker as was the lock. He also bought the "furniture" - the butt plate and the lock plate and then filed them to the shape he wanted for the design. He also made both the front and back sights from steel bar stock (I know he made one sight for a rifle from a piece of railroad spike). ALL the carving wasdone by John. He did the staining & finishing of the wood as well as the blueing of the rifle - a heat and chemical process done on my stove.
GrantsRifle-gillumhouse.JPG

RifleButt-gillumhouse.JPG

This is John's carving on the rifle butt.
Rifletop-gillumhouse.JPG

Looking down on the rifle with trigger guard on floor - more carving- and John filed the butt plate to conform to his design.
Beautifully done!

Didn’t realize John was also a wood carver. That is definitely a work of art.

My nephew sent an email back in the winter saying that he and his family were coming in August and when would the best time be for him to come. Well, since my B&B is also the family homestead, I sort of let him come, along with his wife, 2 little girls age 3 and 18 mos, grandparents, their dog, another niece with husband and 6 year old, his grandparents and another niece and nephew, or about 90% of my immediate family.
The last time I hosted one branch of the family that instigating nephew was only 5 years old, and I had a meltdown after only a couple of days. I think— hope — I’m more mellow now. The first wave starts Monday. Think of me.

Didn’t realize John was also a wood carver. That is definitely a work of art..
Thank you. He mostly did his carving on rifle stocks. He had a "feel" for wood.
When we were in the NWTA many women would see his gunsmith sign and start past, BUT you know how your eyes go to an open door? they would look in as they passed and it was like a magnet drawing them in. So many asked in hushed tones, "May I touch it (the stock)?" And when we said ofcourse, most then said-it feels like silk. that was how fine his finishes were. He would apply the stain, then rub it out and repeat about 6 or 8 times until he had that wonderful smooth finish.

My nephew sent an email back in the winter saying that he and his family were coming in August and when would the best time be for him to come. Well, since my B&B is also the family homestead, I sort of let him come, along with his wife, 2 little girls age 3 and 18 mos, grandparents, their dog, another niece with husband and 6 year old, his grandparents and another niece and nephew, or about 90% of my immediate family.
The last time I hosted one branch of the family that instigating nephew was only 5 years old, and I had a meltdown after only a couple of days. I think— hope — I’m more mellow now. The first wave starts Monday. Think of me..
Wishing you the best! Sit back and relax. Block all rooms so you won't have the added stress of guests as well.

The last time I hosted one branch of the family that instigating nephew was only 5 years old, and I had a meltdown after only a couple of days. I think— hope — I’m more mellow now. The first wave starts Monday. Think of me..
Wishing you the best! Sit back and relax. Block all rooms so you won't have the added stress of guests as well.
Lee2014 said:
Have done that. My brother called from the road yesterday asking if I had room for them. He's only TWO DAYS early and I'm fully booked. Family doesn't get it. Ever.

Lee2014 said:
Have done that. My brother called from the road yesterday asking if I had room for them. He's only TWO DAYS early and I'm fully booked. Family doesn't get it. Ever.
Most people don't get it, my mom's best friend asked if we can go over to her new place to tell her where to place furniture... SURE.... in November.

Currently I’m entertaining 6 adults, 3 little ones and a dog who is presently sleeping in the travel trailer. The only one who has melted down so far is the 18 month old. I’m getting a handle on these relatives so I’m optimistic that we’ll survive.

Lee2014 said:
Where's that extra room that every innkeeper has hidden just in case of an emergency?!?
wink_smile.gif

Back