The secret vegetarian

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other thing was they had to tell me what the mystery person should have. How about NO MEAT? That is what I usually do for a veg.
Can you imagine if we actually did these things, uh, someone here, in this room does not eat meat, now anyone, I see that hand, I see that hand!.
We've gone to having veggie sausage on hand. Not a single person has ever thanked us or commented on it but they eat it all.
I do the same, they are herbed up veggy sausages (Lincolnshire style) and they're really nice. For a veggy full cooked I just substitute the bacon and sausage with veggy sausage and veggy fingers (like fish fingers). If they tell me in advance I'll put a veggy special on the menu, like mushrooms on toast topped with poached egg, often they don't tell me till breakfast.
I don't get this whole thing about listing what they'll have either JB, they do that to me too. Surely they'll just have the same as everyone else except the meat.
I chuck all the breakfast left-overs out to the chickens, they especially love meat like bacon & sausages. When I throw them veggy sausages I often wonder if they start eating them and then think "What the heck is going on here, it looks like meat, but isn't!!!!!!!".
regular_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
I do the same, they are herbed up veggy sausages (Lincolnshire style) and they're really nice. For a veggy full cooked I just substitute the bacon and sausage with veggy sausage and veggy fingers (like fish fingers). If they tell me in advance I'll put a veggy special on the menu, like mushrooms on toast topped with poached egg, often they don't tell me till breakfast.
I don't get this whole thing about listing what they'll have either JB, they do that to me too. Surely they'll just have the same as everyone else except the meat.
I chuck all the breakfast left-overs out to the chickens, they especially love meat like bacon & sausages. When I throw them veggy sausages I often wonder if they start eating them and then think "What the heck is going on here, it looks like meat, but isn't!!!!!!!".
regular_smile.gif
I have a gluten free and the secret veg tomorrow, so what shall I do? Make the same meal. One gets no meat, one gets no wheat... and just took a lactose free milk only for coffee (am i fivebucks coffee?)
Jack Sprat could eat no fat.
His wife could eat no lean.
And so between them both, you see,
They licked the platter clean.
Last fall we had a guy who said he was lactose intolerant. He was a pretty rugged man, and he asked at the coffee area "Don't you have any lactose free creamer?" I said, Yes! And pointed to his black cup of coffee, you are drinking it!
These things throw me every time. Lactose free milk, soy milk, rice milk, certain kinds of yogurt only. Hey, we do the best we can but spending $5 on something you are going to use a splash of and then throw out is obscene.
How long do non dairy mini moos last? I've got a box of those from 2 years ago. (Wrong box grabbed from shelf in store.)
Madeleine said:
These things throw me every time. Lactose free milk, soy milk, rice milk, certain kinds of yogurt only. Hey, we do the best we can but spending $5 on something you are going to use a splash of and then throw out is obscene.
How long do non dairy mini moos last? I've got a box of those from 2 years ago. (Wrong box grabbed from shelf in store.)
And the sad thing is that such specialty items would NEVER be expected from a hotel. We eat into our livelihood deeply to satisfy the often whims of guests - I do not mind doing it for a necessity as much as if it is the current "In-thing". Would it not be nice if they actually traveled with a cooler of their lactose-free/diet required whatever?
Don't get me started on coffee either.....had some bring "bird friendly", the only kind they drink.....

The other thing was they had to tell me what the mystery person should have. How about NO MEAT? That is what I usually do for a veg.
Can you imagine if we actually did these things, uh, someone here, in this room does not eat meat, now anyone, I see that hand, I see that hand!.
We've gone to having veggie sausage on hand. Not a single person has ever thanked us or commented on it but they eat it all.
regular_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
regular_smile.gif
I have a gluten free and the secret veg tomorrow, so what shall I do? Make the same meal. One gets no meat, one gets no wheat... and just took a lactose free milk only for coffee (am i fivebucks coffee?)
Last fall we had a guy who said he was lactose intolerant. He was a pretty rugged man, and he asked at the coffee area "Don't you have any lactose free creamer?" I said, Yes! And pointed to his black cup of coffee, you are drinking it!
Madeleine said:
And the sad thing is that such specialty items would NEVER be expected from a hotel. We eat into our livelihood deeply to satisfy the often whims of guests - I do not mind doing it for a necessity as much as if it is the current "In-thing". Would it not be nice if they actually traveled with a cooler of their lactose-free/diet required whatever?
Don't get me started on coffee either.....had some bring "bird friendly", the only kind they drink.....
white pine said:
Huh??? Made me think of something I heard/read about that was beau coup expensive because it had to "pass through" the birds first to be harvested.

regular_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
regular_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
white pine said:
Huh??? Made me think of something I heard/read about that was beau coup expensive because it had to "pass through" the birds first to be harvested.
Bird friendly coffee is coffee that is shade grown. It's bird friendly because the trees that the birds need are still left.
The coffee you are talking about of called Kopi Luwak, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak for more information.

regular_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
regular_smile.gif
Madeleine said:
white pine said:
Bird friendly coffee is coffee that is shade grown. It's bird friendly because the trees that the birds need are still left.
The coffee you are talking about of called Kopi Luwak, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak for more information.
I would bet the "bird friendly" comes with a hefty price tag also. For me, as long as it perks and is NOT Kopi, I am happy. One thing the birds and I DO have in common is - "cheap - cheap".

regular_smile.gif

I wonder if they have stayed at a place where you are just brought a full English pre cooked and you don't get any choice at all (we have one or two here that do that) I get them at check in "oh we will have this and that" I say I am sorry but we take your order at the table as people don't always want the same thing or they see someone else's and fancy that instead = plus I point out you havn't seen the menu yet!
its another part of my point about people not having a clue about what they have booked - we again put on everything "Cooked to order"
I think there are quite a few, especially B&Bs around here where you're given a full cooked and the choice is you either eat it or you don't.
There's also quite a lot of B&Bs that ask for breakfast orders the night before, it definitely makes things easier in the kitchen but I really don't like the idea of having to choose what I want for breakfast just after I've had my dinner.
my annoyance is the fact they have no clue what we do ie If I went away I would know if it was (a) cooked to order (b) you get what you are given or (c) orders the night before etc
I certainly would not try and tell me when I clearly don't have any way to write it down ie no pen or paper, order form or anything - do they really expect me to remember?

regular_smile.gif

Highlands John said:
regular_smile.gif
I bought soya milk because someone told me they were lactose intolerant, then they didn't use it so it sat on the shelf until it went out of date and I threw it away. Don't do that anymore either.
I am lactose intolerant, and never use soy milk because I don't like the taste. You can find lactose free milk, or enzyme drops that will change regular milk. Any that doesn't get used can be consumed by anyone...taste is just like "real" milk, because it is. I always have chewable tablets in my purse for milk based foods I encounter.
white pine said:
I am lactose intolerant, and never use soy milk because I don't like the taste. You can find lactose free milk, or enzyme drops that will change regular milk. Any that doesn't get used can be consumed by anyone...taste is just like "real" milk, because it is. I always have chewable tablets in my purse for milk based foods I encounter.
I think soy milk is horrible too. Thanks for the tip on the drops, I'll look for them.

Well what a shocker, she doesn't show for breakfast.
We go to the party and ask and they say "Oh she would rather sleep in than have breakfast" not a "Oh sorry, she won't be joining us."
Isn't that sweet.
So for you aspirings out there, what if I DID go to the hassle of making a special meal for her? I would despise her right now and the whole group. But I didn't make her special muffins and cereal, I LEFT off the bacon, that is all I did.
For the gluten free he got extra eggs and bacon and no pecan pancakes.

Well what a shocker, she doesn't show for breakfast.
We go to the party and ask and they say "Oh she would rather sleep in than have breakfast" not a "Oh sorry, she won't be joining us."
Isn't that sweet.
So for you aspirings out there, what if I DID go to the hassle of making a special meal for her? I would despise her right now and the whole group. But I didn't make her special muffins and cereal, I LEFT off the bacon, that is all I did.
For the gluten free he got extra eggs and bacon and no pecan pancakes..
After telling you what to have in hand??? That's rude.

Back