the teeny, tiny breakfast

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think what struck me most was the contrast between the breakfast and everything else..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I think what struck me most was the contrast between the breakfast and everything else.
I personally never get that whole 'course' thing that many B&Bs advertise. It makes me kind of expect a menu, and then to be told the muffins count as a course is a cheat, IMHO. I have been surprised at a few SR properties where the breakfasts were weird (1/2 a quail for breakfast?) but they are usually plentiful, and many, many offer a breakfast menu.
Plus, truthfully, I don't get dessert for breakfast.
I hear you about that. We have never done courses. Breakfast is compartmentalized and presented on a 12" plate. I am often underwhelmed by the (IN EXAMPLE) strawberries and yogurt in a parfait that we have seem TOO much of. Then again, if we are going easy on our budget, we do know that this is a great way for a smaller moderately priced B&B to put a little zing into breakfast without excessive cost, and we are grateful.
happykeeper said:
I hear you about that. We have never done courses. Breakfast is compartmentalized and presented on a 12" plate. I am often underwhelmed by the (IN EXAMPLE) strawberries and yogurt in a parfait that we have seem TOO much of. Then again, if we are going easy on our budget, we do know that this is a great way for a smaller moderately priced B&B to put a little zing into breakfast without excessive cost, and we are grateful.
We do yogurt parfaits on Sunday. I try to find a way to make them special. We put them out on a buffet with topping choices, raisins, nuts, coconut, granola and fruit.
Any tips? what do you find boring or interesting when you see a partfait? I was wondering if I should get more interesting glasses. Presentation is everything!
Sorry dupe

I just had the opposite experience. I took a 3 day mini-break vacation at a B&B after being a live-in nanny for my baby granddaughter for almost a month and I had to ask the innkeepers to please give me less food! They served very delicious and generous breakfasts...delivered to my door. Wonderful food and hosts. :)

I hate those who left the table like this.
angry_smile.gif

I think what struck me most was the contrast between the breakfast and everything else..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I think what struck me most was the contrast between the breakfast and everything else.
I personally never get that whole 'course' thing that many B&Bs advertise. It makes me kind of expect a menu, and then to be told the muffins count as a course is a cheat, IMHO. I have been surprised at a few SR properties where the breakfasts were weird (1/2 a quail for breakfast?) but they are usually plentiful, and many, many offer a breakfast menu.
Plus, truthfully, I don't get dessert for breakfast.
Breakfast routine:
Coffee delivered to coffee/tea station outside guest rooms one hour before breakfast.
Back downstairs, set places, return to kitchen to prep breakfast. Fruit salads made ahead and chilled in bowls, ready to go on underplates when guest/s come down to breakfast.
Two course breakfast here. Starter is fruit salad. Every time. The fruit will differ, but first the fruit, juice and water goes on the table, giving me time to do the main course and have it timed hot and perfect.
Breakfasts are plated.
Same for the starter salads when I do dinners. Its to give me the time I need to get everything just right.
That's the formula. I works well here because we have few rooms.
Things may differ a bit if a GF, or vegan is in the mix. But all guests are asked online or via phone about "food allergies or preferences". Rarely is there a surprise.
Also, our kitchen is off the dining room, separated by a door which can be locked after serving hours.

Back