Things that have changed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the "How's business/Have you had a good season?" questions are like the "Hey, how are you?" greetings you get when you encounter an acquaintance on the street. You answer, "Good, how are you?" or something similar rather than giving a full "organ recital" (as my aging parents refer to it). To me it's just a way of exchanging pleasantries while they are acknowledging that your business is a big part of your life. (Of course it helps that, for us at least, business has been pretty good this season....).
Likewise the "Have you been full?" questions. I doubt that they are asking if we are achieving 100% occupancy in a technical sense. You could just reply, "Better than expected," or "As full as I want to be," or something along those lines.
It's the "How long have you been here?" questions that give me an opening to recite the history (abridged version) of our property.....
Harborfields said:
I think the "How's business/Have you had a good season?" questions are like the "Hey, how are you?" greetings you get when you encounter an acquaintance on the street.
I had to start hedging on this one. When we had the big downturn I told guests the truth. They didn't want to hear that. So now I say, 'Great! We've had a very good season so far! Thank you for staying with us.' The only other people who ask are other innkeepers and my family. (They are still afraid I'm going to move 'back home' if this doesn't work out.)
I run on the principle of (a) they don't really want to know and (b) its none of their business anyway - I have stock answers to
(1) gosh your a bit young to be doing this arn't you?
(2) How long have you been here?
(3) when I say about renovations I get this question - "so have you not been here long then?" answer - money doesn't grow on trees you know
(4) Gosh you are so lucky to have such a good location - yes I made a very smart and informed business decision - the house didn't just fall on me
(5) - where are your parents? At home having their tea I would presume
(6) Is there anyone in charge I could speak to?
(7) (on a Sunday morning with 11 changes to do, 5 dishwasher loads to go on and breakfast room looks like a bomb has hit it) oh well you can have a nice rest now we are all going or will you be going home now we are all gone?
(8) and my personal favourite "oh now you've got breakfast done you've got the rest of the day to yourself isn't that nice?
And when I say - oh really pleased X won't be a problem any more -"so you're selling then?" this is always the question never oh so you are having a new one etc

I think the "How's business/Have you had a good season?" questions are like the "Hey, how are you?" greetings you get when you encounter an acquaintance on the street. You answer, "Good, how are you?" or something similar rather than giving a full "organ recital" (as my aging parents refer to it). To me it's just a way of exchanging pleasantries while they are acknowledging that your business is a big part of your life. (Of course it helps that, for us at least, business has been pretty good this season....).
Likewise the "Have you been full?" questions. I doubt that they are asking if we are achieving 100% occupancy in a technical sense. You could just reply, "Better than expected," or "As full as I want to be," or something along those lines.
It's the "How long have you been here?" questions that give me an opening to recite the history (abridged version) of our property.....
Harborfields said:
I think the "How's business/Have you had a good season?" questions are like the "Hey, how are you?" greetings you get when you encounter an acquaintance on the street.
I had to start hedging on this one. When we had the big downturn I told guests the truth. They didn't want to hear that. So now I say, 'Great! We've had a very good season so far! Thank you for staying with us.' The only other people who ask are other innkeepers and my family. (They are still afraid I'm going to move 'back home' if this doesn't work out.)
I run on the principle of (a) they don't really want to know and (b) its none of their business anyway - I have stock answers to
(3) when I say about renovations I get this question - "so have you not been here long then?" answer - money doesn't grow on trees you know
(4) Gosh you are so lucky to have such a good location - yes I made a very smart and informed business decision - the house didn't just fall on me
(7) (on a Sunday morning with 11 changes to do, 5 dishwasher loads to go on and breakfast room looks like a bomb has hit it) oh well you can have a nice rest now we are all going or will you be going home now we are all gone?
(8) and my personal favourite "oh now you've got breakfast done you've got the rest of the day to yourself isn't that nice?
And when I say - oh really pleased X won't be a problem any more -"so you're selling then?" this is always the question never oh so you are having a new one etc
That's funny. Sometimes people say "You have a lovely place" to DH and he replies "Yes, I know". They are a bit taken aback, but as I said to DH, it didn't happen by accident, we have a lovely place because we've invested a great deal of time and money in making it so!!!
(and my personal favourite "oh now you've got breakfast done you've got the rest of the day to yourself isn't that nice?
That makes me want to punch them. Even my sister thinks that's the case.

Harborfields said:
Guests just said at check out they had hoped to have other people at the table, and I said "Yes me too!" DUH! YA THINK!
Then they said "Most of the B&B's they have been to are now closed and private homes...it was a total mystery to them why or how this could happen.
I said to them about a location not far from us, B&B's spring up, people build or renovate and pour all their money into them, and expect to get a quick return, and when it doesn't happen in 2 years they shut down. Just like a restaurant. They never consider buying an existing B&B...they are here on this forum every week, the same people, they won't listen to us. It will cost DOUBLE what you think it costs, to do anything, add a bathroom = double the cost. They do not get it.

Harborfields said:
That's funny. Sometimes people say "You have a lovely place" to DH and he replies "Yes, I know". They are a bit taken aback, but as I said to DH, it didn't happen by accident, we have a lovely place because we've invested a great deal of time and money in making it so!!!
(and my personal favourite "oh now you've got breakfast done you've got the rest of the day to yourself isn't that nice?
Highlands John said:
and the comment, even today "Did you have to do MUCH?"

Harborfields said:
Highlands John said:
and the comment, even today "Did you have to do MUCH?"
Even if you didn't (and I know you did) it all needs redoing periodically anyway, we did 7 and 8's bathrooms when we came here as they were awful - feel 3 years later they nearly need doing again as we have learned so much from the mistakes we made doing those 2!

My partner/other Innkeeper has started grumbling about guests (behind closed doors) more and more. It's a sad change because she's always been the happy one in any group. Forever smiling, seeing only the good in everything, not letting anything get her down. I've never known anyone so inherently happy. But, lately that has slightly changed. I told her the other day that I didn't like how she was changing. She hadn't even notice. It's only been 1 year, 9 months. We have 3 years, 3 months left in our contract. I fear those 3 years will erode what's left of my favorite person.
I was always and will always be a grumble-butt. I'm better off behind the scenes, not front & center. My Customer Service skills have improved and I have become alot more outgoing in public. I've learned how to fake it. But, I still have days when I'd rather hide behind the door than pass a guest in the hall & exchange pleasantries... Some things will never change...
Like, Gillum, I have become much more active locally. Board member of Business Association, Co-Producer of two large annual events, Board member of local AKC Dog Club, member of Volunteer Fire Dept Search & Rescue Team, currently taking First Responder class & expecting to take Firefighter course in Spring. I've become a very recognizable person in town and recently noticed people stopping me to chat, but I have no idea who they are or where I might know them from. This would have never happened in the larger cities I've lived. There are so many opportunities in this small town and everyone is so nice & inclusive. I'm trying to take advantage of what I can..
Please allow for the semi-annual innkeeper meltdown.
Sometimes it needs to happen to move forward... I used to call it annual, but now it is like a sale at macy's - semi annual!
I pray that's what is happening to me! I can't shake it. Been hanging on for a month now!

Harborfields said:
It's the "How long have you been here?" questions that give me an opening to recite the history (abridged version) of our property....
I agree with you Harborfields, that IS what it is, for lack of something else to say. I would probably do the same thing. But what I tell them is a guest story and I know they will be sure to pass it on...for example, "the guests from Scotland here right now who..." or whatever...
It is just a break in my innkeeper mode, work work work, race to the store get what I need on my list...move move move...and then ten people will stop you. It is me being unfriendly... sometimes I push past and say "sorry guests are arriving any minute..." and they say Oh! By all means...
Did I ever mention they stop their cars in the road here to chat? One car one direction the other the opposite, driver window to driver window and chat as long as they can until someone finally says "WE NEED TO GET PAST ALREADY!"
Joey Bloggs said:
Harborfields said:
It's the "How long have you been here?" questions that give me an opening to recite the history (abridged version) of our property....
I agree with you Harborfields, that IS what it is, for lack of something else to say. I would probably do the same thing. But what I tell them is a guest story and I know they will be sure to pass it on...for example, "the guests from Scotland here right now who..." or whatever...
It is just a break in my innkeeper mode, work work work, race to the store get what I need on my list...move move move...and then ten people will stop you. It is me being unfriendly... sometimes I push past and say "sorry guests are arriving any minute..." and they say Oh! By all means...
Did I ever mention they stop their cars in the road here to chat? One car one direction the other the opposite, driver window to driver window and chat as long as they can until someone finally says "WE NEED TO GET PAST ALREADY!"
Here they just wait patiently - no beeping, no yelling, no lights flashing.... AND if someone - even on the main drag, a US Rte, it is not unusual for an on-coming car to stop or flash lights to go ahead and make your left turn. This is NOT an unusual happening.

What's changed for me:
I'm more confident in the experience I provide. The wacko guests that just don't get what we are doing here have toughened my shell. I've learned to say "NO" and really mean it.
My relationship with DH has changed dramatically. Before we bought the b&b we rarely saw each other. We got married while we were in escrow with the b&b and then started our married lives living and working together 24/7. It totally changed our dynamic with each other. Telling each other what to do in a business can be difficult. We are both stubborn! I realized fairly early on how important it is to take vacations...it's when we are able to reconnect as a couple, and not innkeepers.
I knew I always loved to be in nature, but now after living in a rural small town atmosphere, I realize that I could never live happily in a city again.
Learning that you just can't sweat the small stuff was a big one for me. I fight the perfectionist in me, where in my old career it's what I had to focus on.

Back