Thinking about an airport courtesy car...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate everyone's input. We'll roll all the pros and cons around a bit.
We are a flying family. We have pilot friends and family in both OKC and Wichita that Docbones has been talking to and they are encouraging (inciting?) this. They thought putting flyers at aviation services (FBO's) in the surrounding cities could make us a popular fly-in destination as pilots are always looking for an excuse to take their planes up for a spin. We are about 30 mins by air from both cities. Also for stopovers on the way more exciting destinations. Pilots talk (endlessly) to each other on their pilot forums, often about good restaurants to fly over to or fun weekend outings or anniversary getaway. They think it would go viral among those that eat, drink and bleed 1000LL or JetA (aviation fuel). Docbones is all jazzed about flying around to different FBO's to put out flyers and write it off as a business expense. Flying is fun (but expensive), but to be able to write it off - now we're talkin'! Plus if it brings in other pilots, they can talk "flying". Not sure Docbones can be talked down from this one.
The car is a fun little car - sporty little white two seater 2005 BMW Z4 convertible, red leather interior. Looks new. Has decent trunk space. Not very high milage because we don't use it much. Coded door lock. Fuel efficient. Fun for date nights. We would not get much on it for trade-in becase of its age - worth more to keep it, Docbones says. It's just sitting in the garage taking up space. May as well put it to work. Program the GPS with our B&B and recommended restaurants and sights. Have them pay for their own insurance (like you do when you rent a car) and fill it back up when they return it. Local use only with a milage limit - say 35 miles/day. (Airport is 5 miles from us.) We record odometer reading on checkout - charge by the mile if they go over. Two night stay required - they use the car for the duration of their stay and return it to airfield when they leave..
Fly-ins sound great for you. I tried it here - I am 11 miles from the airport. BUT you just gave me another idea - the Stable is located at (do not laugh, it is on the maps) Ma ley International Airport. (my space in that name). I need to talk to Woody about planes landing there instead of the commercial airport 11 miles from me. I could pick them up and they could get Enter prise to bring the car if they rented one. The rail-trail (and bikes) are right here for that activity. I may revisit that one.
I took a look at your landing strip. The length isn't too bad. Most 4-seater propeller planes could land and take off there easily. Some people do not like unpaved runways in case they get muddy or bumpy. A good pilot should land on unpaved strips from time to time to stay prepared for how things would feel for an off-airport landing in the event of an emergency. The biggest deterrent would be no fuel depending on how far they are flying. Of course, they can always land and fuel up at another airport.
You could certainly advertise your proximity to the airstrip and I'll bet you get some takers.
It would hinge on whether or not Woody is willing for planes to come in. I will ask him.

Do a google search: "fun places to fly in (your state). Or even in a 3 state area. Get a mention on a few of the boards and you're in.
regular_smile.gif

First telephone call is to your insurance agent. B&B insurance is a tricky area: not much exposure, but not much experience available to base rates. Automobile is a huge risk issue to solve.
Edited: you do have B&B insurance lined up ...

Do a google search: "fun places to fly in (your state). Or even in a 3 state area. Get a mention on a few of the boards and you're in.
regular_smile.gif
A few years ago L S U played W V U and 3 doctors flew in to the local airport, rented a car and came in for the game. One was from the town 10 miles south and was a grad. They spent a day driving around his old haunts and visiting his family & friends. Next day was the game. At breakfast one is in blue & gold. One is in purple so we knew he was the opposition. The third doc was not decked out in either. Himself started to ask and he threw up his hands and said, "Don't look at me, I am just the pilot!" He was a GA fan and they all worked in Atlanta if my memory serves me.

regular_smile.gif
A few years ago L S U played W V U and 3 doctors flew in to the local airport, rented a car and came in for the game. One was from the town 10 miles south and was a grad. They spent a day driving around his old haunts and visiting his family & friends. Next day was the game. At breakfast one is in blue & gold. One is in purple so we knew he was the opposition. The third doc was not decked out in either. Himself started to ask and he threw up his hands and said, "Don't look at me, I am just the pilot!" He was a GA fan and they all worked in Atlanta if my memory serves me.
We have loads of people flying into our local airport, especially golfers. My friend is a used car dealer and he rents cars to them for the weekend. But he has all the liability stuff etc for his business. So I am sure your insurance company would have something to say to you about doing this. Get your B & B insurance first..that will be hard enough and expensive. Homeowners won't cut it and most won't allow it.

I am getting some great feedback from the pilots of america forum if you'd like to follow along...I especially liked what aggiemike had to say.
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1995454#post1995454\

I am getting some great feedback from the pilots of america forum if you'd like to follow along...I especially liked what aggiemike had to say.
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1995454#post1995454\.
Niche - we all have to find our niche.

Several niches - do not be a one-horse town. If the horse leaves, you have nothing. Just do not try to put too many eggs in your basket - too many and the eggs will crack.

Niche - we all have to find our niche.
Three or four niches?
Aspiring Martha said:
Three or four niches?
Maybe seasonally, but generally not at the same time.

Back