This is starting to get depressing :-(

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who reads happy news? Anyone? You asked a bunch of innkeepers from all over the world what the regulations were in your (unnamed) part of the country.
What you got back was, 'Do your homework FOR YOUR AREA.'
I'm not sure if you wanted everyone to say, 'Wow great idea,' and then we all go back to our own caves and wait 6 months for you to come back and say, 'Why didn't you tell me...???'

Who reads happy news? Anyone? You asked a bunch of innkeepers from all over the world what the regulations were in your (unnamed) part of the country.
I'm not sure if you wanted everyone to say, 'Wow great idea,' and then we all go back to our own caves and wait 6 months for you to come back and say, 'Why didn't you tell me...???'.
Madeleine said:
I'm not sure if you wanted everyone to say, 'Wow great idea,' and then we all go back to our own caves and wait 6 months for you to come back and say, 'Why didn't you tell me...???'
Oh. how I wish there were a 'like' button here!
thumbs_up.gif

Sounds good James, once you get a builder on board tons of this stuff will turn into "knowns". How much? How long? Etc.

I'm not sure if you wanted everyone to say, 'Wow great idea,' and then we all go back to our own caves and wait 6 months for you to come back and say, 'Why didn't you tell me...???'.
several people I've talked to act like someone is out to screw you over around every corner in this business. I was told the same thing about my current career field before I got into it. The truth is it's really not like that, most people are helpful and honest. That being said, if your a big dummy then yes you will get raked over the coals.
I'm just looking for straight forward answers on regulations and who to get in contact etc... Reading 20 post on how uneducated I am and how I don't have no clue what I'm doing doesn't really help.

several people I've talked to act like someone is out to screw you over around every corner in this business. I was told the same thing about my current career field before I got into it. The truth is it's really not like that, most people are helpful and honest. That being said, if your a big dummy then yes you will get raked over the coals.
I'm just looking for straight forward answers on regulations and who to get in contact etc... Reading 20 post on how uneducated I am and how I don't have no clue what I'm doing doesn't really help.
The problem with the typed word, in a letter, a note, or an e-mail is that the tone of voice, inflection, body language are missing. Not telling us general area of WHERE did not help either.
Believe me, the number of "deer in the headlights" have been many. Once we knew more about where and what and who (the WHO makes a big difference) we can be a lot more helpful than a generalization. We have had people ask about financing thinking they were going to find a "grant" to buy an inn. And all have tried to explain, in this business there IS no straight forward answer to ANY regulation. We thought we were being helpful to tell you to get it in writing. To give you an idea as to how rules are different - I cannot collect hotel tax because I live in city limits of a city that did not enact the ordinance to collect it because they did not have any hotels or motels in city limits. The motel out of city limits, in the County does have to collect an extra 6% hotel tax.
No, the people on this Forum are very giving of straight answers - including giving actual coding for a web site problem - but several have purchased inns and found out after the papers were signed that the POs (stands for previous owners) spoke with forked tongue, did half-assed repairs, or painted up to hide problems and or had 2 sets of books. Everyone is not out to screw you over in this business BUT if you trust a bureaucrat's statement without getting it in writing, I have a bridge I will sell you.

Depending on your location you may have local, county and state regulations. You start at city hall or township hall, and County building & health depts. If they are not familiar with B&B's you will have a problem. You aren't stupid, you are ignorant on this topic, the only way to learn is to do your homework. First you have to pick a location. Good Luck

James, we have heard it all here! And most have not done their homework on the subject but think they know it all. The truth of the matter is that each city, county, state has their own regulations and until you choose a location there can be only general information shared. That is the same regarding financing, all will be subject to the location which you decide.
If you have not already done so, you should put together a detailed business plan and then you can fill in the location and projected income once the location is decided. If you have some ideal cities in mind, contact their chamber of commerce and their economic development department of the city/county government. Both of these groups can provide data which may show whether the area is right for what you are wanting to do and can provide stats about the area - ave income, ave age, etc... Sometimes the economic development dept can provide information of possible financing companies that may be open to your line of business.
And what you have heard here about getting things in writing are FACT. We can not be more open and honest with you. We have heard the horror stories time and time again. We are not saying you are stupid, most of the people that tell these horror stories are very intelligent with business backgrounds. It happens to the best of people, if we can help it we don't want it to happen to anyone!!!

We are only trying to tell you from our own experiences. No one said anything about "uneducated"!! You are reading way too much into these posts. All are meant to help not hurt you. If you don't like what you are reading, then just ignore us and go away. No one is being anything but honest here. If you can't take it ...then don't.

James Barrett said:
Best of luck to you. Let us know how things work out. Sounds like you know what your doing. We don't have a clue. We just talk and give advice like we do.

I applied for a restaurant license for our 2 room B&B right off the bat. I had, and still do have, thoughts of doing a weekend reservation -only breakfast for all comers, plus special occasion dinners. Having put that out there, we are located in a community of less than 300 people, in a county of about 4000, with one main lightly traveled highway stringing through it. When we re-modeled the place, I went down to the health dept (the inspector is also the department head, and is responsible for both food licenses, inspections and septic installation permits throughout the county. Everyone here wears several hats!) At any rate, I asked what we would need to do to satisfy restaurant requirements. We did what was required, got our license, and I make sure I keep it current, though it is presently underused. I think there is a market for what we would offer, as the only day-to-day restaurants here serve American diner food, straight from the Sysco delivery. To do anything else would be too labor intensive to support in an area that can barely keep a diner and full bar going. If we want something a cut above we have to (and many do) drive 30 miles one way or 45 miles the other way to places with larger populations. I think my idea will fly, and we can do it without having to hire out, but I will have to quit my day job, and I'm not quite ready to do that yet (I still really like it).
I don't think there is much of value to you in this story, other than there are so many different (and wonderful) ways of doing the hospitality business. When I was much younger, I worked in many kinds of restaurants, from pulling pints in pubs, to big city fine dining. If you can make your way in the restaurant business, it is very good experience for any occupation where good organization plus time management skills, and the ability to get along with many different personalities is a requirement. (That covers most occupations - don't you think?
wink_smile.gif
)
This forum is a god-send for those in the planning stages. Just keep reading the stories. Some will jump out at you with the lightbulb coming on, and another line will be written in your plan book. Keep thinking like a guest. Why do I want to come to your place. Is there ample and easy parking? Can I make my decision right now while I'm reading your website and book right away? What will I do while I'm there? Is vegetarian (gluten-free, whatever) OK, and will I enjoy something I don't have all the time at home?) Can I find the place easily? Is there ample and easy parking? (yep, that's there twice, your guests need to park. They need to be able to figure it out in just the few seconds it takes to see the place and pull in. They won't read, or probably even see, signs. Your neighbors need to not be inconvenienced. If you don't get this right to begin with, it is nearly impossible to fix later)
My, what a ramble this has turned into. Our (one) guest is still sleeping away, and doesn't want breakfast (a first for that).
I just want to add that while we looked for the perfect property (there is no perfect, just the best compromise) that was in our price range, could be converted to B&B and in a place that we would like to live, we had the perfect excuse for many enjoyable road trips. We got to know many out of the way places in our state that we can now recommend to others who like quirky gems in out of the way places.
If you want to do this, keep asking questions, keep reading, and work out the plan that will work for you, it will come together. Several former aspirings in this forum have now been running their inns for some time now. Its great to read their posts along with everyone else's. We all keep learning, and sharing, and we're better innkeepers for it. You're part of the mix now. I hope to keep reading your posts.

Just to give you an idea, our provincial government is looking to increase rural B&Bs... but that doesn't mean that you can get city or town permission to open one and the government won't licence you until you have one. It would simply be a shame to not have all the paperwork in order before you set out. That isn't to discourage you, that's to ensure you have all the Ps and Qs in order and don't waste your money.
On the day I bought this house I was over at the city and signed for my permit, because you never know when they change regulations and once I have it, it's for life. (The aren't being so liberal with the permits now and there are three already functioning properties that are fighting for their lives because they didn't realize that they needed permits and the city wants $3K each just to look at their deviations.)

I applied for a restaurant license for our 2 room B&B right off the bat. I had, and still do have, thoughts of doing a weekend reservation -only breakfast for all comers, plus special occasion dinners. Having put that out there, we are located in a community of less than 300 people, in a county of about 4000, with one main lightly traveled highway stringing through it. When we re-modeled the place, I went down to the health dept (the inspector is also the department head, and is responsible for both food licenses, inspections and septic installation permits throughout the county. Everyone here wears several hats!) At any rate, I asked what we would need to do to satisfy restaurant requirements. We did what was required, got our license, and I make sure I keep it current, though it is presently underused. I think there is a market for what we would offer, as the only day-to-day restaurants here serve American diner food, straight from the Sysco delivery. To do anything else would be too labor intensive to support in an area that can barely keep a diner and full bar going. If we want something a cut above we have to (and many do) drive 30 miles one way or 45 miles the other way to places with larger populations. I think my idea will fly, and we can do it without having to hire out, but I will have to quit my day job, and I'm not quite ready to do that yet (I still really like it).
I don't think there is much of value to you in this story, other than there are so many different (and wonderful) ways of doing the hospitality business. When I was much younger, I worked in many kinds of restaurants, from pulling pints in pubs, to big city fine dining. If you can make your way in the restaurant business, it is very good experience for any occupation where good organization plus time management skills, and the ability to get along with many different personalities is a requirement. (That covers most occupations - don't you think?
wink_smile.gif
)
This forum is a god-send for those in the planning stages. Just keep reading the stories. Some will jump out at you with the lightbulb coming on, and another line will be written in your plan book. Keep thinking like a guest. Why do I want to come to your place. Is there ample and easy parking? Can I make my decision right now while I'm reading your website and book right away? What will I do while I'm there? Is vegetarian (gluten-free, whatever) OK, and will I enjoy something I don't have all the time at home?) Can I find the place easily? Is there ample and easy parking? (yep, that's there twice, your guests need to park. They need to be able to figure it out in just the few seconds it takes to see the place and pull in. They won't read, or probably even see, signs. Your neighbors need to not be inconvenienced. If you don't get this right to begin with, it is nearly impossible to fix later)
My, what a ramble this has turned into. Our (one) guest is still sleeping away, and doesn't want breakfast (a first for that).
I just want to add that while we looked for the perfect property (there is no perfect, just the best compromise) that was in our price range, could be converted to B&B and in a place that we would like to live, we had the perfect excuse for many enjoyable road trips. We got to know many out of the way places in our state that we can now recommend to others who like quirky gems in out of the way places.
If you want to do this, keep asking questions, keep reading, and work out the plan that will work for you, it will come together. Several former aspirings in this forum have now been running their inns for some time now. Its great to read their posts along with everyone else's. We all keep learning, and sharing, and we're better innkeepers for it. You're part of the mix now. I hope to keep reading your posts..
I really appreciate the time you took to give me some input. It definitely gives me a better prospective on things. I don't think the B&B portion will be very difficult to break into, but the commercial kitchen will be opening up a whole new can of worms!
I was looking at doing a similar restaurant operation. It wouldn't be a full time kitchen. We'd only open it on the weekend or reserve it for certain occasions. If it was successful then I'd like to make it a full time operation.
Would you be able to give me a guideline of some of the requirements you had to satisfy. Also what department did you contact to get the kitchen certified?
Thank you

Just to give you an idea, our provincial government is looking to increase rural B&Bs... but that doesn't mean that you can get city or town permission to open one and the government won't licence you until you have one. It would simply be a shame to not have all the paperwork in order before you set out. That isn't to discourage you, that's to ensure you have all the Ps and Qs in order and don't waste your money.
On the day I bought this house I was over at the city and signed for my permit, because you never know when they change regulations and once I have it, it's for life. (The aren't being so liberal with the permits now and there are three already functioning properties that are fighting for their lives because they didn't realize that they needed permits and the city wants $3K each just to look at their deviations.)
Hi Eric,
My land agent is telling me the property I'm most interested in is zoned for B&B's. Of course I'm not going to take her word for it. Can you tell me what department I need to get in touch with to get something in writing.

wink_smile.gif
)
If you want to do this, keep asking questions, keep reading, and work out the plan that will work for you, it will come together. Several former aspirings in this forum have now been running their inns for some time now. Its great to read their posts along with everyone else's. We all keep learning, and sharing, and we're better innkeepers for it. You're part of the mix now. I hope to keep reading your posts..
I really appreciate the time you took to give me some input. It definitely gives me a better prospective on things. I don't think the B&B portion will be very difficult to break into, but the commercial kitchen will be opening up a whole new can of worms!
I was looking at doing a similar restaurant operation. It wouldn't be a full time kitchen. We'd only open it on the weekend or reserve it for certain occasions. If it was successful then I'd like to make it a full time operation.
Would you be able to give me a guideline of some of the requirements you had to satisfy. Also what department did you contact to get the kitchen certified?
Thank you
James Barrett said:
Thank you
I'll pop back in one more time...Skamokawa operates in a completely different part of the country than where you say you are looking. You MUST contact your city, county and state departments of health and the code enforcement officers for the town and the county and get the required info from them. They may be called something else where you are.
First thing to do...go online and find out who the town clerk is in the town you are looking at. Call that person and ask who else you need to talk with. OR, much more easily, ask your contractors who in the town office will give you what you want.
I'm not sure if you're being dense here or you just want someone else to do the legwork for you. I think almost everyone here has told you exactly who to call. Obviously, we do not know the exact names of those people. That's what research is for.

Hi Eric,
My land agent is telling me the property I'm most interested in is zoned for B&B's. Of course I'm not going to take her word for it. Can you tell me what department I need to get in touch with to get something in writing.
James Barrett said:
Hi Eric,
And, just for fun, Eric isn't even in this country so I'm thinking he won't know either who you should talk with. How about calling the town hall and asking there?

wink_smile.gif
)
Thank you
James Barrett said:
"I don't think the B&B portion will be very difficult to break into"
[/quote
Oh boy......
Just in the last year, there have been scores of b&bs close in my small state alone.

wink_smile.gif
)
Thank you
James Barrett said:
Thank you
As said, YOU need to contact the LOCAL government in the area YOU plan to BUILD this business - where ever that is! This is NOT one size fits all, it is NOT overseen by any ONE person in the country! This is a big country and the layers of political overseers are many. The only thing that is valid country wide on laws pertaining to the business you describe is the US Fire & ADA laws; but your builder should be handling the needs there. Of course every state and local government can have add additional laws onto those, again YOU need to contact the LOCAL agencies where you plan to build.... we can only provide you with general information, the rest is up to you. If you are unable to handle this where ever you are, you need to hire someone that can - again they need to be located in the area of interest to you.

wink_smile.gif
)
Thank you
James, I was not kidding or being facetious when I said it can depend on what sid of the street you live on. The city of Bluefield, West Virginia is also partly in Bluefield, Virginia - the State line divides the city. I know of towns where the county line runs through the middle of a house. The only way you know if you live in Mt Prospect, Illinois or Des Plaines is by your mailing address and which side of the street you are on because the street is the dividing line.. And the rules are different en each location!!

wink_smile.gif
)
Thank you
Maddy is blunt, but right. There are far fewer regs here compared to most other places. If you've worked in kitchens that have a similar setup to, and are designed to serve the number of patrons you're aiming for, well, you get the drift of your general needs/wants. You may have town regulations, county regulations and state regulations. During our last annual health department inspection, a State inspector accompanied our county inspector. (a curiously minimal and brief inspection) If your state is like ours, the state regulations for Bed and Breakfasts/Inns and Restaurants will be posted online. That would be a good place to start. Our state had most everything we needed to know about building code requirements, operating rules and kitchen requirements posted on the State website. I think I did that reading in the v e r y early days of our road trips. Good thing, because in our state, Inns up to two rooms have one set of rules - above two and there are a lot more rules and requirements. Will you need ADA access? Will you need sprinklers? And locally, what kind of wall coverings and flooring will you be needing, what kind of range hood/fans/venting/fire extinguishers? Municipal water, well water? Monthly testing and reports? Sewage disposal? Very good things to know before doing the design plans.

Google your state and a few terms like Bed and Breakfast or inn license. Once you get one person usually they can sort of tell you where to go next. Where we are, we needed a state license, a county thing (permit?) and the city gave us a variance. So it can get involved. The key is to know up front what they will be looking for as you are doing new construction.

Back