Tipping again

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do all the cleaning ourselves (4 guest rooms). We do not put out tip envelopes, do not have the "tip function" activated on our Square Register, and when asked by foreigners "Is tipping B&Bs customary in North America?" we answer "No".
However, we do get tips fairly often. Usually the way it works is after the guest has checked out and we go to strip their room, there is a $10 or $20 bill sitting on the dresser. We are still unsure if it is polite to email these guests and give our thanks, or to just accept and move on. Occasionally after paying, the guest will hand us a bill and say "this is for you", to which we give our profuse thanks. I always say to these people "oh wow, that's very generous of you. We really appreciate it, thank you very much."
The funny thing is the people you would most expect to tip (ie. the people who we drove to the store because they didn't feel like walking, or the people who asked "do you have a cold beer we could have?" and we GIVE THEM ONE OF OUR BEERS, or the people who we generally go above and beyond for) always only pay the owed amount and give you nothing extra, which is rather odd..
Don't email to thank them. It's awkward. If they hand it to you, fine, thank them.
And, YES, it IS common to tip at b&b's! Don't be spreading the rumor that it's not!!!
We rarely get tips. Our housekeeper had best not rely on them! And that's with a tip note.
I honestly did not think that it is customary to tip at B&Bs... or hotels, etc. It IS customary to tip a server at a restaurant, and if you don't for any reason other than terrible service, that makes you uncouth. However, not tipping at a B&B isn't really on the same level -- or so I thought!?
Don't get me wrong though, tipping for great service is always a nice thing to do, it's just that at some places it's "customary" and some places it's simply up to you.
I love tips. We have an old yoghurt container in our office with TIPS written on it -- ice cream and beer money!

We do all the cleaning ourselves (4 guest rooms). We do not put out tip envelopes, do not have the "tip function" activated on our Square Register, and when asked by foreigners "Is tipping B&Bs customary in North America?" we answer "No".
However, we do get tips fairly often. Usually the way it works is after the guest has checked out and we go to strip their room, there is a $10 or $20 bill sitting on the dresser. We are still unsure if it is polite to email these guests and give our thanks, or to just accept and move on. Occasionally after paying, the guest will hand us a bill and say "this is for you", to which we give our profuse thanks. I always say to these people "oh wow, that's very generous of you. We really appreciate it, thank you very much."
The funny thing is the people you would most expect to tip (ie. the people who we drove to the store because they didn't feel like walking, or the people who asked "do you have a cold beer we could have?" and we GIVE THEM ONE OF OUR BEERS, or the people who we generally go above and beyond for) always only pay the owed amount and give you nothing extra, which is rather odd..
Yes it is common to tip. Leave an envelope, it's more dignified and no thank you is needed, they are thanking you for the service.
As for those who ask for favours, they usually won't tip at all. Don't you have enough work without driving them to the store and giving them free beer?
The ones who do pay us back in tips and great reviews make it worth the risk of wasted time, I suppose! Ha ha. The ones who don't, well -- they're just clucked at after they leave!
The beer guy though -- come on. I gave you beer.

Yes it is common to tip. Leave an envelope, it's more dignified and no thank you is needed, they are thanking you for the service.
As for those who ask for favours, they usually won't tip at all. Don't you have enough work without driving them to the store and giving them free beer?
The ones who do pay us back in tips and great reviews make it worth the risk of wasted time, I suppose! Ha ha. The ones who don't, well -- they're just clucked at after they leave!
Right! I agree completely! I love it when people are flying out direct from here and have to leave their unopened alcohol. It's not quite as good a tip as cash, but I'll take it!

Right! I agree completely! I love it when people are flying out direct from here and have to leave their unopened alcohol. It's not quite as good a tip as cash, but I'll take it!
BananaE29 said:
we get the unopened cartons of ice cream and cheese
regular_smile.gif

BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
We get the unopened cartons of ice cream and cheese
regular_smile.gif

That works too! Last summer, someone left a box of those Snickers ice cream bars in their freezer. You know those little fridge freezers don't really keep things all that frozen, so when I pulled the box out and felt how soft they were, I had to inhale them right then and there. All of them! Truly a treat!

BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif
Y'all are making me reconsider those individual room fridges. hehehe
but I must wait til after Oct... Gotta fit in my MOG dress.

BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
When going in a room to clean it after departure, I used to look at the guest book first, to check for entries. Now the first thing I do is look in the fridge. It's like freaking Christmas in there sometimes :)

BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
When going in a room to clean it after departure, I used to look at the guest book first, to check for entries. Now the first thing I do is look in the fridge. It's like freaking Christmas in there sometimes :)
Half a tub of guacamole. 2 opened bottles of water. Some frozen berries (shoved way in the back). More like the Cratchits' Christmas here. ;-)

No tip envelopes. However, a nice framed sign in the room that our housekeepers work really hard to ensure that their room is ready and has everything they need for an enjoyable stay. If they do find that they are in need of anything else, please let us know. -- The housekeeper started getting many more tips once this note was put in each room because guests realized that we had housekeepers doing the work and that it wasn't just us.
If a tip comes in on one of her two days off, I leave it on the table with a note which room it came from. Now the week she wanted off to work for her friend at their store and we had to do everything for 7 days, those tips were ours and we treated ourself to lunch a couple days when we got a break.
But if you're not comfortable with the tip envelope like I'm not, then a pretty little sign lets them know the tips are for the housekeeper. But we never had anything out there when we did the entire place ourselves and occasionally got a tip - but I wasn't in any way asking for one because we're the owners.

BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
Half a tub of guacamole. 2 opened bottles of water. Some frozen berries (shoved way in the back). More like the Cratchits' Christmas here. ;-)
Hahaha! Good one!

BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
BananaE29 said:
Copperhead said:
I just got a 1/2 gallon of unopened s'mores Tillamook ice cream! It was really soft, so I threw it in the freezer. Yeah, both DH and I need to start that juice fast!

BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
BananaE29 said:
Copperhead said:
I just got a 1/2 gallon of unopened s'mores Tillamook ice cream! It was really soft, so I threw it in the freezer. Yeah, both DH and I need to start that juice fast!
That Tillamook stuff is pretty good. We went to the factory.

BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
BananaE29 said:
Copperhead said:
What timing!! I just went into a guest's room fridge after they checked out and found the mother lode!!
DSCF2829%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSCF2833%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DH with his favorite!
DSCF2835%20%28640x480%29.jpg

These are handcrafted gourmet truffles sold at a shop nearby...the one on the right is mine...S'mores!

BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
BananaE29 said:
regular_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
BananaE29 said:
Copperhead said:
That Tillamook stuff is pretty good. We went to the factory.
I got nuttin' this weekend :(

leftovers in the guestroom fridge = 'Guest-overs'. Most of the wine that is left behind is from PA and honestly, Kool-aid has more structure.
Yes, we have tip envelopes. I agree with Jon that if people want to leave tips, they will do so regardless of the envelope. You're just providing them with a convenient and safe place to put it. I got idea and the wording off of a SR property that we stayed at a couple of years ago. I do most of the cleaning, but when I can get DD to help, the extra $$ sure helps. I work hard, I do everything - cook, clean, reservations, marketing, concierge, laundry, gardens.
One Innmate who will remain nameless left me a very nice tip once and it made me feel like the most important person in the world (if only for an afternoon :))

Small inn here, we do most of the work, no formal housekeeper.
In US Pacific Northwest, B&B tipping is not the norm, nor is it expected. We would not put out envelopes - embarrassing.
A B&B tip is not just for a clean room, as in a tip left in a hotel room, rather it is for a suite of services, many of which would be separate tips in a hotel: travel planner, bell hop, concierge, sommelier, chef, etc. We rarely get tips, though occasionally some are very significant.
Since I started this inn, I personally leave a small tip in any motel when I travel on business - I never thought to do that before.

Small inn here, we do most of the work, no formal housekeeper.
In US Pacific Northwest, B&B tipping is not the norm, nor is it expected. We would not put out envelopes - embarrassing.
A B&B tip is not just for a clean room, as in a tip left in a hotel room, rather it is for a suite of services, many of which would be separate tips in a hotel: travel planner, bell hop, concierge, sommelier, chef, etc. We rarely get tips, though occasionally some are very significant.
Since I started this inn, I personally leave a small tip in any motel when I travel on business - I never thought to do that before..
Tom said:
Since I started this inn, I personally leave a small tip in any motel when I travel on business - I never thought to do that before.
Ditto!

I don't think it's an appropriate expectation for guests to tip the owner. It's your business - if you want more money raise the rates-no matter what in the business you do. However, housekeepers have one of the hardest jobs, and if anyone deserves tips for cleaning up your crap- it's them.
We have a housekeeper and during high season more than one housekeeper. In our information book in the room, we have a section about tipping -to tell guests that tipping is neither expected nor required here, and tips are considered thanks for service beyond the expected (it is). That for those that wish to leave tips, I provide some guidelines for how much per day ($1-$3 for housekeeping/day) and where to leave it - by the TV, we provide no envelope. And tips are divided among those employees that served them during the stay.
I also provide a little bio on us and on our housekeeper(s), so she's made more human.
If I happen to clean the rooms, on our housekeeper's day off, I leave the tip for her, unless I was the only one servicing the room.
About 30-40% of guests leave tips - most are $5 or so. More people now leave tips with the section in the book on tipping - I think some people are afraid of insulting you by leaving less than a $20, so didn't leave a tip while others didn't even know it was some place where you might tip. Our nightly rate is between $65-$80, so we're cheap. Our housekeeper is happy.

Not everyone has housekeepers. I think that is what some are saying, some are saying the horrible hard job that the housekeeper has is also their job. They get to clean up the crap. As well. But generally speaking you wouldn't tip the owner of a business, only the staff. I agree.
I don't think that was the intent of the post, originally, it just grew to that. I am of a mindset to tip where I see tipping is standard and others here have never agreed. Example: Card dealers live off tips. Hairdressers live off tips. Bartenders live off tips. And then there are those occupations where a gratuity is pretty well known - tip the taxi driver, tip the deck hand on the fishing boat, tip other deliveries such as the furniture or appliances. Esp if it involves stairs or difficult maneuvering.

I don't think it's an appropriate expectation for guests to tip the owner. It's your business - if you want more money raise the rates-no matter what in the business you do. However, housekeepers have one of the hardest jobs, and if anyone deserves tips for cleaning up your crap- it's them.
We have a housekeeper and during high season more than one housekeeper. In our information book in the room, we have a section about tipping -to tell guests that tipping is neither expected nor required here, and tips are considered thanks for service beyond the expected (it is). That for those that wish to leave tips, I provide some guidelines for how much per day ($1-$3 for housekeeping/day) and where to leave it - by the TV, we provide no envelope. And tips are divided among those employees that served them during the stay.
I also provide a little bio on us and on our housekeeper(s), so she's made more human.
If I happen to clean the rooms, on our housekeeper's day off, I leave the tip for her, unless I was the only one servicing the room.
About 30-40% of guests leave tips - most are $5 or so. More people now leave tips with the section in the book on tipping - I think some people are afraid of insulting you by leaving less than a $20, so didn't leave a tip while others didn't even know it was some place where you might tip. Our nightly rate is between $65-$80, so we're cheap. Our housekeeper is happy..
That is an amazing tipping rate!
We had one guest who tipped $10/day for a week and the following week had guests in the same room who stayed almost 2 weeks who left $20 total.
We clean rooms 3 days/week and I bet that other than that $10/guest, the tips amounted to $100 for the whole summer.

Back