tired

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will stick this in here rather than start a new thread. I know tired right now. My mom died three weeks ago on a full weekend. (I thought for sure she was holding out for Columbus Day weekend as we could not keep a reservation for that weekend to save our lives. Yes, this is innkeeper humor.)
I lined up 3 of our local innkeeping friends (yes, the competition!) to come in and help Gomez while I bolted for home. The day after mom died, dad ended up in the ER with pneumonia, exhaustion and dehydration. He was there for a week. He missed the funeral and everything associated with it.
I've been back and forth for 3 weeks now making sure he's ok. He has a PT coming in, visiting nurse, etc. He went from being fully in charge of everything (driving, shopping, cleaning the house, fixing meals, laundry, 100% caring for mom) to not being able to walk up the stairs in the house, drive anywhere or do a lot of the tasks he was doing single-handedly such a short time ago.
Of course, this is our second busy season right now so I'm dealing with mom's death and dad's sickness by not dealing with either.
Gomez drove down for the funeral (12 hours round trip) and then right back home to greet guests. Some of our guests showed up for the funeral. Amazing people we know thru this biz!
Anyhoo. I'm tired in so many ways right now. Holding it together until Nov when I can fall apart. But, actually, I'm apparently much hardier than I thought I was. We handled everything with Irish humor and, hopefully, a little grace. Other than my wailing like a banshee, mom had a quiet, dignified send off. One she would have been proud of (again, other than the banshee thing)..
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I hope your dad will be alright. You and your family are in my prayers today.

I will stick this in here rather than start a new thread. I know tired right now. My mom died three weeks ago on a full weekend. (I thought for sure she was holding out for Columbus Day weekend as we could not keep a reservation for that weekend to save our lives. Yes, this is innkeeper humor.)
I lined up 3 of our local innkeeping friends (yes, the competition!) to come in and help Gomez while I bolted for home. The day after mom died, dad ended up in the ER with pneumonia, exhaustion and dehydration. He was there for a week. He missed the funeral and everything associated with it.
I've been back and forth for 3 weeks now making sure he's ok. He has a PT coming in, visiting nurse, etc. He went from being fully in charge of everything (driving, shopping, cleaning the house, fixing meals, laundry, 100% caring for mom) to not being able to walk up the stairs in the house, drive anywhere or do a lot of the tasks he was doing single-handedly such a short time ago.
Of course, this is our second busy season right now so I'm dealing with mom's death and dad's sickness by not dealing with either.
Gomez drove down for the funeral (12 hours round trip) and then right back home to greet guests. Some of our guests showed up for the funeral. Amazing people we know thru this biz!
Anyhoo. I'm tired in so many ways right now. Holding it together until Nov when I can fall apart. But, actually, I'm apparently much hardier than I thought I was. We handled everything with Irish humor and, hopefully, a little grace. Other than my wailing like a banshee, mom had a quiet, dignified send off. One she would have been proud of (again, other than the banshee thing)..
Oh Mort, these are hard times for you and your family...made even more difficult by the nature of your profession. I feel for you and will share my own recent experience in the hope it will allow you to be kinder to yourself over the next few months.
As I have mentioned, my mom died in April and we buried her in June. Fortunately we had already planned to cut back on our reservations for the season, so when she passed I was able to do my wailing while DH managed the B&B. I held it all together through the busy summer season with nary a bump...just an underlying sense of emotional exhaustion that I guess is called grief. A few weeks ago, when we finally took a week off in your neck of the woods, I finally Really let down. When we got home my relaxation turned to illness as my body told me it had had enough. So here I lie, for the second week with pneumonia and strep throat. Now I have no choice but to stop.
Thankfully at the moment DH is managing the current guests in the cottage and they are far enough removed that I don't have to see or interact them. When they leave we will close for the season...heading to FL to settle my mothers affairs.
So my advice to you is this. Put your business plan and goals on hold. Accept that you will not have the income you projected this year. Limit your reservations even more than you have been...income be damned. Go away with DH before you are exhausted or may very well find that you are forced to cut back because your body has said ENOUGH.
In the meantime, all of us here are thinking of you...the door is always open...you know where we are.

Oh Mort, these are hard times for you and your family...made even more difficult by the nature of your profession. I feel for you and will share my own recent experience in the hope it will allow you to be kinder to yourself over the next few months.
As I have mentioned, my mom died in April and we buried her in June. Fortunately we had already planned to cut back on our reservations for the season, so when she passed I was able to do my wailing while DH managed the B&B. I held it all together through the busy summer season with nary a bump...just an underlying sense of emotional exhaustion that I guess is called grief. A few weeks ago, when we finally took a week off in your neck of the woods, I finally Really let down. When we got home my relaxation turned to illness as my body told me it had had enough. So here I lie, for the second week with pneumonia and strep throat. Now I have no choice but to stop.
Thankfully at the moment DH is managing the current guests in the cottage and they are far enough removed that I don't have to see or interact them. When they leave we will close for the season...heading to FL to settle my mothers affairs.
So my advice to you is this. Put your business plan and goals on hold. Accept that you will not have the income you projected this year. Limit your reservations even more than you have been...income be damned. Go away with DH before you are exhausted or may very well find that you are forced to cut back because your body has said ENOUGH.
In the meantime, all of us here are thinking of you...the door is always open...you know where we are.
I hope you feel better soon! Drink lots of fluids. Have DH get you Throat Coat Tea. A cup of that with honey will do wonders to your throat! Amazing!

Pretty much what happened to dad - the pressure was off and he collapsed.
We have our getaway planned for Nov. Same one we do every year. Looking forward. Only 2 more weeks of very busy, best I shove thru this, and then back to NY for a week to help dad.
We have cut back. No Vacancy sign is up outside so no walk ins ringing the bell all day. Otherwise, I totally understand what you're saying, but I cut back so much this summer that I have to take advantage of whatever comes our way right now. Nov & Dec are pretty much empty and the mortgage still needs to be paid. :-(
Take care of yourself.

I hope you feel better soon! Drink lots of fluids. Have DH get you Throat Coat Tea. A cup of that with honey will do wonders to your throat! Amazing!
Thanks...I am on it with the tea...but what I really want is a nice glass of wine.
shades_smile.gif

My condolences.
I too know tired. I finally managed to go to the hospital for my blood test only to look at the date the doctor requested it... August 17th. I've put my health on hold for the business.
So sorry to hear about your mom Mort... just keep thinking maybe 3 more weeks of nonstop nonsense...
Generic, I too, finally had blood work done which I should have had done mid-August for what ails me. Was shocked to discover that I hadn't had an annual exam or testing since 2012!
Next week it's the MRI that has been waiting since August. I have to start putting my health first.

My condolences.
I too know tired. I finally managed to go to the hospital for my blood test only to look at the date the doctor requested it... August 17th. I've put my health on hold for the business.
So sorry to hear about your mom Mort... just keep thinking maybe 3 more weeks of nonstop nonsense...
Generic, I too, finally had blood work done which I should have had done mid-August for what ails me. Was shocked to discover that I hadn't had an annual exam or testing since 2012!
Next week it's the MRI that has been waiting since August. I have to start putting my health first.
Generic said:
You are all you've got. You absolutely need to take care of yourself.

That is a lot to handle and you've done it well.
I am so sorry for your loss and sending prayers for your Dad so he can continue on.
And for you!

So sorry to hear this Morticia. Prayers for you and the family.

Back