to b or not!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Vermont, the differences between B&Bs and Inns seems to break down thusly:
B&Bs provide rooms and breakfast, usually in a private home.
Inns provide rooms, but have a restaurant and bar as well.

Our inn was built in 1946 as a log cabin motor lodge. Originally it had 6 guest rooms and every pair shared a bath. Somewhere along the line bathrooms were added and one pair of rooms became "The Suite" so that we now have 5 guest rooms, each with a private bath.
We live onsite in the innkeepers' suite and are the first owners to serve breakfast in our guest lounge (not a restaurant). I don't know exactly how to classify us because here, a bed and breakfast is considered a home where the owners live onsite, but a motel is considered 10 rooms or more. In the visitors' guide we are listed under inns/hotels. Our guests call us a b&b. We are basically an inn that serves breakfast I guess.
Many of the b&b's which are houses around here call themselves inns.

Our place has Resort in the name. It's far too lofty a label for what we are - but it's been around for so long it seems like it would be crazy to change it. Still if I based decisions on name alone - no research - it would be a let down...

Back