Toddler ??

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, call me a hag...but I don't like kids. Not really at any age, but I can tolerate them around 9 or so. So if I booked at your place, reading "not suitable for children", I would be pretty upset if there was one there. Especially an infant that would affect my stay. I wouldn't say anything to you, or the parents, but I would not be happy. At all.

If the conditions are not suitable for children, then you should have a "No Children" policy. Do what YOU are comfortable with, and then stick with it. I went to adults only two years ago and have never, ever regretted my decision. People come here to get away from kids - their own and others..
BananaE29 said:
I'm sorry, call me a hag...but I don't like kids. Not really at any age, but I can tolerate them around 9 or so. So if I booked at your place, reading "not suitable for children", I would be pretty upset if there was one there. Especially an infant that would affect my stay. I wouldn't say anything to you, or the parents, but I would not be happy. At all.

If the conditions are not suitable for children, then you should have a "No Children" policy. Do what YOU are comfortable with, and then stick with it. I went to adults only two years ago and have never, ever regretted my decision. People come here to get away from kids - their own and others.
I honestly couldn't agree more. I'd be upset as a guest to run into a baby at a romantic B&B. I'm just wondering what the heck to do about it?
Last night they were scarce. I didn't see them at all, so that part is good.
It's a little late to do much now. The best thing to do is simply to not let them check in. But do change all of your web policies to reflect the "no children" policy. I have found it helpful to state the age limit as well. Some people obviously do not think that a 12 year old is a child. We state, the age of 18 years old as the cut off since, at 18 years, a person is no longer a minor and can be expected to be held to a certain standard. If parents come with an 18 year old son or daughter and decide to leave him/her unsupervised, we don't feel we have to baby sit.

If the conditions are not suitable for children, then you should have a "No Children" policy. Do what YOU are comfortable with, and then stick with it. I went to adults only two years ago and have never, ever regretted my decision. People come here to get away from kids - their own and others..
BananaE29 said:

If the conditions are not suitable for children, then you should have a "No Children" policy. Do what YOU are comfortable with, and then stick with it. I went to adults only two years ago and have never, ever regretted my decision. People come here to get away from kids - their own and others.
I honestly couldn't agree more. I'd be upset as a guest to run into a baby at a romantic B&B. I'm just wondering what the heck to do about it?
TheBeachHouse said:

It's too late to do anything about this particular situation - just hope that the kid remains quiet so as not to disturb others. But for future incidents, because you KNOW this will happen again, change your wording/policy. Instead of "Not suitable for children" (which is a suggestion, not a policy), word it to read "Adults only - no children". That could not be more clear, and if they show up with kids, they've broken their contract with you. Turn them away. Refunding their money is your choice. I have not had the situation happen to me (where they show up with kids), but I can tell you in no uncertain terms, that I would turn them away - just as I would if they showed up with a third person or a dog. Refunding their money is another thing - I would have a really hard time with that, but I think I could do it.

So...what the heck to do about it? It's your house, your inn, your rules. Change them.

BananaE29 said:

What to do about it for tomorrow is you set up a special table just for them that is as unobtrusive as possible. Put a high-chair over there, maybe paper and crayons (I don't know what kiddie stuff you have) and they will appreciate that you made a special place for their little family. Do you have a time-window for breakfast? I'm wondering if you can take into account when they came this morning to suggest that other guests come before or after for a better experience.
We have ONE room that is allowed for kids under 16. It's at the far end of the Inn and if they just take the bedroom only (they have the option of taking the whole apt or bedroom only). They are completely separate from everyone. We had a 4 y/o that was a complete doll. Very good kid, no troublemaking, crying, etc. BUT - just his voice alone rattled my brain at 8am when I know some guests might still be in bed. High pitched (not yelling) voice just pierced through the entire house.

If you change your wording to "NO CHILDREN", then you must make sure that it's legal in your state. There are many states out there where it's against their anti-discrimination laws. A state like CA says you may not discriminate on age, no exceptions. There have been major law suits.
My state says that for lodging, the anti-discrimination law starts at age 18, which means we can legally refuse children.
Be careful and do your due diligence.

Back