Trip Advisor stars

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We currently have 13-5 star reviews and yet we are #2 behind another inn with 13 reviews at 4.5 stars...I don't get it!.
I guess we should all click that your reviews were helpful :) Ack! It's a mystery to me too...I think there's a definite relationship with hotels.com and also longevity on the web.

We currently have 13-5 star reviews and yet we are #2 behind another inn with 13 reviews at 4.5 stars...I don't get it!.
I guess we should all click that your reviews were helpful :) Ack! It's a mystery to me too...I think there's a definite relationship with hotels.com and also longevity on the web.
I'll click yours if you click mine!
tounge_smile.gif

One X factor with trip advisor is the 'Was this review helpful?' buttons they have. Depending on how many people rate the review helpful/unhelpful and how many people have sent accolades to that reviewer, it can influence and weight the various reviews. I know if enough peopel click that a review was un-helpful, that review will have less weight than one that is highly rated. I don't the specific numbers, but from what I understand that is part of teh equation as well..
IvyLee said:
One X factor with trip advisor is the 'Was this review helpful?' buttons they have. Depending on how many people rate the review helpful/unhelpful and how many people have sent accolades to that reviewer, it can influence and weight the various reviews. I know if enough peopel click that a review was un-helpful, that review will have less weight than one that is highly rated. I don't the specific numbers, but from what I understand that is part of teh equation as well.
Thank you for saying that. I always click the review was helpful on colleagues T.A. pages.
Is the click only good if you click the review was helpful?? What if you click "no"?

One X factor with trip advisor is the 'Was this review helpful?' buttons they have. Depending on how many people rate the review helpful/unhelpful and how many people have sent accolades to that reviewer, it can influence and weight the various reviews. I know if enough peopel click that a review was un-helpful, that review will have less weight than one that is highly rated. I don't the specific numbers, but from what I understand that is part of teh equation as well..
IvyLee said:
One X factor with trip advisor is the 'Was this review helpful?' buttons they have. Depending on how many people rate the review helpful/unhelpful and how many people have sent accolades to that reviewer, it can influence and weight the various reviews. I know if enough peopel click that a review was un-helpful, that review will have less weight than one that is highly rated. I don't the specific numbers, but from what I understand that is part of teh equation as well.
Thank you for saying that. I always click the review was helpful on colleagues T.A. pages.
Is the click only good if you click the review was helpful?? What if you click "no"?
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
I always wonder about that too? What does NO IT WAS NOT HELPFUL actually do?

IvyLee said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
I always wonder about that too? What does NO IT WAS NOT HELPFUL actually do?
The 'Not Helpful' clicks will on a negative review will detract from the weight a given review has for a particular site as well as for that particular user as well.

Trip Advisor states the following regarding their star ratings:
"A summary score based on quality, quantity and age of traveler ratings."
It does not state anything on how they base the quality but assume it must have something to do with the helpful question. As reviews age, or if the poster only has one or two posts, they loose creditablity. So, if a guest just signs up just to post a review on your place, and never does another, over time the review looses creditability.
They are really going all out now to qualify the review too. I just received a call from a past guest from England. He said, well I posted a review on TA and it JUST made it on the site. He said that he received 2 emails to confirm that he was a 'real' poster and had really stayed at our B&B.
What bothers me is that it takes a real dedicated guest to go through all the trouble to post on TA, while this makes the site more reliable it also will detour some from going through all this. My worry is that the most dedicated posters may turn out to be those PITA's that just left.....

It does not state anything on how they base the quality but assume it must have something to do with the helpful question. As reviews age, or if the poster only has one or two posts, they loose creditablity. So, if a guest just signs up just to post a review on your place, and never does another, over time the review looses creditability.
They are really going all out now to qualify the review too. I just received a call from a past guest from England. He said, well I posted a review on TA and it JUST made it on the site. He said that he received 2 emails to confirm that he was a 'real' poster and had really stayed at our B&B.
What bothers me is that it takes a real dedicated guest to go through all the trouble to post on TA, while this makes the site more reliable it also will detour some from going through all this. My worry is that the most dedicated posters may turn out to be those PITA's that just left......
I THINK IT IS JUST TOTALLY UNFAIR THAT THEY RATE THE REVIEW ON THE "AGE OF TRAVELER"! HOW DARE THEY! HOW DISCRIMINATORY! I'M GOING TO WRITE A LETTER!
Just kidding!
tounge_smile.gif
Could those words possibly be misconstrued, misunderstood? Could I possibly have read that and not interpreted it properly?
tounge_smile.gif

What bothers me is that it takes a real dedicated guest to go through all the trouble to post on TA, while this makes the site more reliable it also will detour some from going through all this. My worry is that the most dedicated posters may turn out to be those PITA's that just left......
I THINK IT IS JUST TOTALLY UNFAIR THAT THEY RATE THE REVIEW ON THE "AGE OF TRAVELER"! HOW DARE THEY! HOW DISCRIMINATORY! I'M GOING TO WRITE A LETTER!
Just kidding!
tounge_smile.gif
Could those words possibly be misconstrued, misunderstood? Could I possibly have read that and not interpreted it properly?
tounge_smile.gif

LOL Thanks for the laugh. :)

I had to repost a TA review 3 times before it stuck! The first time I received an email from TA asking me to click a link to let them know I had wrote the review, well, I was not going to click a link and receive some virus, so I emailed TA to find out if it was their email, but they NEVER got back with me. So, since I didn't click the link they deleted my post. I reposted it and it was pending for several days, then it was deleted AGAIN, I emailed them again but they never replied to my 2nd email!! I reposted it again and it finally posted.....I guess the less uptight person would have just left it be after the first time, but I was going to get that review posted if it killed me
confused_smile.gif

If TA is going to have a "contact us" button and you are asking a question shouldn't there be some responsibility on their part to email you back???? Hey, where's that guy from TA that posted her awhile back?

Copperhead said:
What bothers me is that it takes a real dedicated guest to go through all the trouble to post on TA, while this makes the site more reliable it also will detour some from going through all this. My worry is that the most dedicated posters may turn out to be those PITA's that just left.....
Guests who had a good stay will go thru less aggro to post that it was a good stay than guests who had a bad stay. Guests who had a bad stay will find every possible outlet for their rage.

It definitely has me befuddled too.
First of all - my heart sinks into my shoes when I see the number of reviews has gone up - I always fear the worst.
All our reviews so far however have been super (knock on wood) but we're still only shown as 4.5 stars. I'd love to get to that 5 star but I'll let nature (and tripadvisors algorithmn) take its natural course ..... while maintaining a degree of frustration in the meantime
teeth_smile.gif

Just kidding!
tounge_smile.gif
tounge_smile.gif

You are too funny
regular_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
This explains why so few register to review. I went and looked at some of the reviewers of my place and many have only registered to review me. There are a few that are more than a couple of years on the review cycle, but most are first timers.

Would definitely like to know which guest just dinged me on the beds not being comfortable. I'd certainly like to know which room as the majority of the guests say they are very comfortable beds and some have gone so far as to strip them to find the manufacturer's name.

Would definitely like to know which guest just dinged me on the beds not being comfortable. I'd certainly like to know which room as the majority of the guests say they are very comfortable beds and some have gone so far as to strip them to find the manufacturer's name..
Did they put it on TA?? There is usually a link to send them an email. I would EMAIL them and ask and say "why didn't you tell me"??? I would write a management reponse to it.

Would definitely like to know which guest just dinged me on the beds not being comfortable. I'd certainly like to know which room as the majority of the guests say they are very comfortable beds and some have gone so far as to strip them to find the manufacturer's name..
99% of ours LOVE our beds and then you get the one who couldn't sleep because it was too this or too that, you just can't please everyone!
I can't sleep in another bed because it's not MY BED! But I wouldn't knock a place for that, it's me not the bed! And I fully acknowledge that!

Did they put it on TA?? There is usually a link to send them an email. I would EMAIL them and ask and say "why didn't you tell me"??? I would write a management reponse to it.
catlady said:
I hadn't thought of emailing them from TA. Thanks. Not putting a mgmt repsonse because that is under the 'disliked' question and not in the text of the review. Don't want to bring it right to the forefront, know what I mean? So the email is a good idea.

Back