Tripadvisor business listings. Have you canceled or do you plan to cancel? Info needed please

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering if anybody has renewed there TA business listing recently. We were quoted an amount almost double our previous year. Which without asking was reduced by 15%, I said it was too much and another 5% was reduced from the price. In their minds I'm getting 20% off, in my mind I'm paying a lot more than the previous year. Anybody else?.
See my other thread.
Mine jumped about 50% from last year, was offered 10% discount, not good enough.
My googl e adwords campain is frequently limited by budget and gives me a much cheaper CPC than ta, so even if I was going to spend that amoung of money on online marketing (which I'm not) it would be far better spent increasing my adwords budget than giving it to ta.
And as I've said elsewhere, I REALLY object to the fact that I'm paying a lot of money (IMHO) for a tiny link on their page when they have a large box for dated searches actively encouraging my potential customers to search my local competitors for rooms.
Highlands John said:
And as I've said elsewhere, I REALLY object to the fact that I'm paying a lot of money (IMHO) for a tiny link on their page when they have a large box for dated searches actively encouraging my potential customers to search my local competitors for rooms.
I agree.
I have just the basic account, I think it is like $65 a month. I don't have a compatible tripconnect booking engine, so they prominently display a way to check for bookings of other hotels on my PAID page. This really irks me.
ta.jpg

Oh, and THAT IS NOT MY PHONE NUMBER EITHER... They now added a 'feature' that forwards their phone numbers to your phone number. I need to go opt out of this today. Think about it. If guests save your number, and want to stay with you again, they will call 'tripadvisor' and not me if I don't pay for future service.... What is that all about?

Just wondering if anybody has renewed there TA business listing recently. We were quoted an amount almost double our previous year. Which without asking was reduced by 15%, I said it was too much and another 5% was reduced from the price. In their minds I'm getting 20% off, in my mind I'm paying a lot more than the previous year. Anybody else?.
See my other thread.
Mine jumped about 50% from last year, was offered 10% discount, not good enough.
My googl e adwords campain is frequently limited by budget and gives me a much cheaper CPC than ta, so even if I was going to spend that amoung of money on online marketing (which I'm not) it would be far better spent increasing my adwords budget than giving it to ta.
Highlands John said:
I agree.
I have just the basic account, I think it is like $65 a month. I don't have a compatible tripconnect booking engine, so they prominently display a way to check for bookings of other hotels on my PAID page. This really irks me.
ta.jpg

Oh, and THAT IS NOT MY PHONE NUMBER EITHER... They now added a 'feature' that forwards their phone numbers to your phone number. I need to go opt out of this today. Think about it. If guests save your number, and want to stay with you again, they will call 'tripadvisor' and not me if I don't pay for future service.... What is that all about?
They've done that phone number thing on and off for years. Want to have fun before you cancel it? Call that number a half dozen times and the ta contact person will tell you you'll be missing all these calls in the future. ;-)
Yeah, you don't want your guest getting the informational message that their call is being forwarded from ta. And whatever other sales pitch they want to throw in there.

See my other thread.
Highlands John said:
I agree.
ta.jpg

They've done that phone number thing on and off for years. Want to have fun before you cancel it? Call that number a half dozen times and the ta contact person will tell you you'll be missing all these calls in the future. ;-)
Yeah, you don't want your guest getting the informational message that their call is being forwarded from ta. And whatever other sales pitch they want to throw in there.
Better yet, tell your family they can call you for free on that number :) Let T/A give you free calls :)

See my other thread.
Highlands John said:
I agree.
ta.jpg

Better yet, tell your family they can call you for free on that number :) Let T/A give you free calls :)
Jon Sable said:
I like that so much better!

Our rate has doubled and I had to ask for a discount. It took them 2 days to get back to me with 10% off

sorry, clicked double

See my other thread.
Highlands John said:
I agree.
ta.jpg

Exactly why we quit.

I think it has become pretty obvious that TA business listings are now only for larger properties, and smaller properties should use their new TripConnect Cost-Per-Click option. It won't get you a tiny link to your website, but it will get you a large button linked to your reservation page.

I think it has become pretty obvious that TA business listings are now only for larger properties, and smaller properties should use their new TripConnect Cost-Per-Click option. It won't get you a tiny link to your website, but it will get you a large button linked to your reservation page..
You have to have a business listing to use TripConnect. But you can choose to not go that route and use Instant Booking instead which is TA's new feature that you book directly with them like book . com or xpedia -- you pay a commission on each booking. Not sure if it's rolled out everywhere yet but it is up and running in many spots.

I think it has become pretty obvious that TA business listings are now only for larger properties, and smaller properties should use their new TripConnect Cost-Per-Click option. It won't get you a tiny link to your website, but it will get you a large button linked to your reservation page..
You have to have a business listing to use TripConnect. But you can choose to not go that route and use Instant Booking instead which is TA's new feature that you book directly with them like book . com or xpedia -- you pay a commission on each booking. Not sure if it's rolled out everywhere yet but it is up and running in many spots.
MtnKeeper said:
You have to have a business listing to use TripConnect.
That's not right. They've recently changed it. You do not need a business listing to use TripConnect Cost Per Click. I have it, and don't pay them a penny. Except when someone clicks, which is rare. It's costing me nothing most days, and a few cents when somebody clicks to go to my reservation page. I'm happy to pay for that!

MtnKeeper said:
That's not right. They've recently changed it. You do not need a business listing to use TripConnect Cost Per Click. I have it, and don't pay them a penny. Except when someone clicks, which is rare. It's costing me nothing most days, and a few cents when somebody clicks to go to my reservation page. I'm happy to pay for that!
Arks said:
MtnKeeper said:
ARKS is correct. You do not need a business listing to set up TripConnect. (which is a better option IMHO).
I signed up on Thursday (yep, Arks it took me that long).
I went live on Friday AM and with in 2 hrs had my 1st booking.
Nothing since but it is working, and since they would have booked via an OTA I am saving lots in commission - this is a muli-night stay.

MtnKeeper said:
Arks said:
MtnKeeper said:
ARKS is correct. You do not need a business listing to set up TripConnect. (which is a better option IMHO).
Nothing since but it is working, and since they would have booked via an OTA I am saving lots in commission - this is a muli-night stay.
Have had TC since January (and no business listing). No bookings yet, at least none that I can directly correlate. But it is interesting to see what the TA visitors are looking for in terms of length of stay, and timing of visit. During the summer, we push full-week stays from Saturday to Saturday; most of the click-thrus from TA seem to be looking for shorter stays...
ETA -- it does make me think about beefing up the information in the reservation system; previously I had figured people would be on our website first before going to the reservation system, but the TA visitors go directly to the res. page without having been on our website first....

MtnKeeper said:
Arks said:
MtnKeeper said:
Copperhead said:
What booking engine do you use?

I cannot believe the variation in the 'price' of the business listings! Last year when we listed it was less than $500. This year when they wanted to auto-renew me, it was almost $800 and I said no thanks. Then I get an email from TA with a complimentary stats analysis. When i click on it, of course it wants to take me thru steps to get the business listing renewed. I stopped the process when I found out it would be $240 A MONTH!!
Of course, this prompted a call from the TA guy himself who explained to me that the $2800+/year was based on a POTENTIAL of $16,500 in revenue, and how could I possibly pass up that much ROI? OMG! Where do they come up with this stuff?!
I simply explained that regardless of the ROI, I simply didn't have an extra $240 a month to throw around for reservations that MIGHT come in the door. AND, what I really don't like about the TA 'business' listing is that even for all that money, there are still 4 or 5 other properties listed on YOUR page!! no, no, no, no!! If I'm going to pay that kind of money, the whole page better not mention anyone BUT me!

We aren't on TA, except for reviews people post there.
Have you tried www.InnRewards.com ?
It won't cost you a cent to be listed. It was created and maintained by innkeepers from this forum. No "middle man" or company to take away their cut of your reservation! It takes the guests to your website, your reservation page, and your blog! You are in charge of your listing and can change it around as much as you want. Don't feel like you have to!
regular_smile.gif
Just tell your guests to book their next vacation through this site! InnRewards.com ! For more information contact Hillbilly.

I cannot believe the variation in the 'price' of the business listings! Last year when we listed it was less than $500. This year when they wanted to auto-renew me, it was almost $800 and I said no thanks. Then I get an email from TA with a complimentary stats analysis. When i click on it, of course it wants to take me thru steps to get the business listing renewed. I stopped the process when I found out it would be $240 A MONTH!!
Of course, this prompted a call from the TA guy himself who explained to me that the $2800+/year was based on a POTENTIAL of $16,500 in revenue, and how could I possibly pass up that much ROI? OMG! Where do they come up with this stuff?!
I simply explained that regardless of the ROI, I simply didn't have an extra $240 a month to throw around for reservations that MIGHT come in the door. AND, what I really don't like about the TA 'business' listing is that even for all that money, there are still 4 or 5 other properties listed on YOUR page!! no, no, no, no!! If I'm going to pay that kind of money, the whole page better not mention anyone BUT me!.
One way to look at their estimate: 16,500 in potential revenue for a 2,880 spend works out to an equivalent commission rate of 17.5% -- it seems you would be better off with B.c, with a lot less risk.
The other problem with their revenue estimates is that there is an inherent assumption that this is additional revenue that you wouldn't get otherwise, when it's more likely that the traffic you would get from a TA business listing would probably end up displacing some business that you would have gotten anyways even without the business listing.
In any case, the revenue estimate and ROI they are quoting for you is a lot better than the potential ROI they quoted for our property...

MtnKeeper said:
Arks said:
MtnKeeper said:
I was actually going to publicly thank ARKS today for his info TripConnect. Woke up to a three day, two room reservation that came through on that channel. Nice to pay about two bucks as opposed to the 15% that it would have cost me if they had gone to Booking. And no, I do not have a business listing.

It won't cost you a cent to be listed. It was created and maintained by innkeepers from this forum. No "middle man" or company to take away their cut of your reservation! It takes the guests to your website, your reservation page, and your blog! You are in charge of your listing and can change it around as much as you want. Don't feel like you have to!
regular_smile.gif
Just tell your guests to book their next vacation through this site! InnRewards.com ! For more information contact Hillbilly..
Duff2014 said:
regular_smile.gif
Just tell your guests to book their next vacation through this site! InnRewards.com ! For more information contact Hillbilly.
I think you should let Hillbilly catch up with all the people who signed up last month. I'm still not listed. Some of the states with lots of listings still aren't clickable via the map. There's a bit of work to be done.

regular_smile.gif
Just tell your guests to book their next vacation through this site! InnRewards.com ! For more information contact Hillbilly..
Duff2014 said:
regular_smile.gif
I think you should let Hillbilly catch up with all the people who signed up last month. I'm still not listed. Some of the states with lots of listings still aren't clickable via the map. There's a bit of work to be done.
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
regular_smile.gif
Oh dear! I found my InnRewards email in the spam file so check it out. Send it back to your inbox and follow the directions listed in the email.

MtnKeeper said:
Arks said:
MtnKeeper said:
I was actually going to publicly thank ARKS today for his info TripConnect. Woke up to a three day, two room reservation that came through on that channel. Nice to pay about two bucks as opposed to the 15% that it would have cost me if they had gone to Booking. And no, I do not have a business listing.
2cat_lady said:
That's great! And you're welcome. It was others here who let me know about it. Glad we can all share this stuff.

Back