Turn off

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I wasn't even talking about stress, or difficult guests etc. I was talking becoming the business and never turning it off to be who you really are..
The best way for us to turn off is to get out of town. This is a BIG year in DH's birthday schedule so we will close up for a month and head out to Europe....during high season...oh my! I try not to think about how much this will cost us, both in the loss of income and vacation expense but it is totally worth it for us to rediscover ourselves apart from the B+B that consumes us otherwise. We are sick of taking vacations when the weather is icky and figure that our time is fast running out to wait until "someday"!

Actually I wasn't even talking about stress, or difficult guests etc. I was talking becoming the business and never turning it off to be who you really are..
The best way for us to turn off is to get out of town. This is a BIG year in DH's birthday schedule so we will close up for a month and head out to Europe....during high season...oh my! I try not to think about how much this will cost us, both in the loss of income and vacation expense but it is totally worth it for us to rediscover ourselves apart from the B+B that consumes us otherwise. We are sick of taking vacations when the weather is icky and figure that our time is fast running out to wait until "someday"!
That is fantastic! Good for you!

I closed for the month of June 2011 and have no regrets. It was wonderful. Take a warm jacket. I was cold most of the time I was there.

It does not matter whether I am in the house or not - I ALWAYS have my elevator speech and business cards handy wherever and whenever. I guess for me the B & B IS me. It is something I started from scratch and despite the naysayers, am still here. For me, it is the old story of my life - just tell me I cannot so something and watch me!
However, I am also very good at procrastination and do not feel guilty about spending a day doing nothing of substance or what someone else may define as substance. After puking away the day yesterday (I DID entertain the WVU group that is doing a Shop Local campaign for my City which I have no expectations of inclusion in and because they were coming made the last bed), I realized Monday is City Council and transcribed the January Minutes. Between interruptions from DH it took 3 hours (should have been 2).
those stomach things are a ruddy nightmare! hope you feel better - I use to have terrible trouble and it turned out im a bit wheat intollerant ie thats why we didn't pick it up ie would have to have 2 or 3 wheat things in a day to set it off - touch wood free and clear for a whole year!
Thank you so much for your concern - "puking away the day" is terminology here for wasting the day. I, thankfully, was not ill. That would have been worded, puking all day.
Glad ti hear you have not had a flare-up for a year with your problem.
gillumhouse said:
Thank you so much for your concern - "puking away the day" is terminology here for wasting the day. I, thankfully, was not ill. That would have been worded, puking all day.
Glad ti hear you have not had a flare-up for a year with your problem.
Now that is a colorful expression I have not heard. I might have to try and use it sometime.

I closed for the month of June 2011 and have no regrets. It was wonderful. Take a warm jacket. I was cold most of the time I was there.
Yes, the packing will be a challange...from the Alps to the Italian Riviera. Looks like we'll need warm cloths and bathing suites! LOL

That is fantastic! Good for you!
Thanks! It will be quite a challenge to pull it off.

Silverspoon said:
AMEN!
Have a blast. :)

Yes, the packing will be a challange...from the Alps to the Italian Riviera. Looks like we'll need warm cloths and bathing suites! LOL
I took things that did not wrinkle and rolled everything as tightly as I could. I planned on at least doing laundry twice so was able to get all I needed into a large tote and my backpack. I did not carry a purse - I carry my credit cards in a leather pouch in my slacks pocket and everything else was in the backpack. My passport/cash was in a pouch thing I got at a conference that I wore around my neck and tucked under my shirt (where someone would have to get REALLY personal to get to). Rolling the clothes takes up a lot less space. I did have to borrow a suitcase to check to come home because of the loot I got - puzzles etc with bulky packaging.
I had both my camera and camcorder in a large fanny pack and wore my jacket to make carrying easier and the airline did not challenge the fanny pack as extra luggage. I once had to choose between my carry-on and my purse and kept the wrong one!

Silverspoon said:
AMEN!
I heartily agree, Silverspoon! You will NOT regret it...regardless of the cost. When we could finally get away for a kinda big trip in 2011 after we closed the biz, we kept saying "what were we waiting for?".
Enjoy it! Life is short....

Silverspoon said:
AMEN!
I heartily agree, Silverspoon! You will NOT regret it...regardless of the cost. When we could finally get away for a kinda big trip in 2011 after we closed the biz, we kept saying "what were we waiting for?".
Thank you both so much for the positive comments. As I total up the $$$ I keep second guessing our decision, but your support encourages me to keep planning. In any event, I have made all the plane reservations so it's a bit too late to back out now!

Silverspoon said:
AMEN!
Thank you both so much for the positive comments. As I total up the $$$ I keep second guessing our decision, but your support encourages me to keep planning. In any event, I have made all the plane reservations so it's a bit too late to back out now!
Go! Enjoy! No regrets!

Silverspoon said:
AMEN!
Have you considered interim innkeepers (innsitters)? I know not everyone is comfortable using them or the cost is prohibitive, but we've used them with great success and it's really nice to have some income coming in when we're away for a big vacation.

Silverspoon said:
AMEN!
Have you considered interim innkeepers (innsitters)? I know not everyone is comfortable using them or the cost is prohibitive, but we've used them with great success and it's really nice to have some income coming in when we're away for a big vacation.
I considered the interim innkeeper option but decided that I would not be relaxed while away if I was worrying about the B+B. Since this is a last Hurrah kind of trip it seemed sensible to to just give up the income and GO!
Actually, we have been saving for this trip for 3 years, so as long as we have a decent June, July and August we should be fine.

Silverspoon said:
AMEN!
I considered the interim innkeeper option but decided that I would not be relaxed while away if I was worrying about the B+B. Since this is a last Hurrah kind of trip it seemed sensible to to just give up the income and GO!
Actually, we have been saving for this trip for 3 years, so as long as we have a decent June, July and August we should be fine.
It will be fantastic...you deserve it!

Back