TV or no TV?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband said no tv till I reminded him of all the grief for the house we rented on the beach with no tv, or the apartment...
Thanks for your feed back. Looks like tv in the living room, two big ceiling fans in that room. More seating. I like the idea of leaving wiring for the bedroom, thanks!
This really is an issue for foreigners coming, the Mexican tourist expects to come, and be at the beach all day, and spending time with their travel companions in the evening.
We want both, foreigners and Mexican nationals.

hmmm...just talked to a couple of locals, they point was not in the bedroom, since electricity is so expensive, sitting in the air conditioned bedroom watching t.v. would be REALLY expensive..
jmj said:
hmmm...just talked to a couple of locals, they point was not in the bedroom, since electricity is so expensive, sitting in the air conditioned bedroom watching t.v. would be REALLY expensive.
So they will switch off the AC in the bedroom while watching TV in the other room?
In this part of Mexico, as in most, electricity is a persons biggest expense. As part of our policies, AC would be expected to be used only in an occupied room. I think most people who venture this far from Cancun would be more respectful of issues like that. I don't kid myself, but there will be an education piece. And if that doesn't work, we charge you more! :( The AC units here are mini-splits, so they cool really quickly and so really don't need to be turned on for long till the room is cool.
If you will be getting a significant number of Americans as your guests, I can assure you, they will blast that air conditioner all the time. How do I know this? Because I'm one of them!
devil_smile.gif
I am miserable when it's hot and humid. I will only stay at places that have air conditioning in those type of regions. DH also has to have a tv.
So, I think it depends on where your guests are from. Large U.S. population? Air Conditioning and tv!

put it on your signature line and you can remove it later vs in a post. I would do that
and then put on the website something big and bold like "WE LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING YOU HERE SOON!" or something hospitable. :)

Okay, you may not like this, but no one cares about your electricity bill except you. If you want them to turn it off, you better set up a keycard system otherwise, they are going to waste electric because they don't care... they are on vacation. How do I know? I see it all the time. I walk into rooms that have the windows open and the air conditioning on. I walk into rooms that have the lights on, during the day. I've seen them go out with the TV on. Or you may want to have a switch built into the window that automatically disconnects the A/C when they open the window.
Other side of the coin... if you don't have the TV and they want it, they will either look elsewhere or they will ding you in the review for it. If you have it and they don't want it, they will just not turn it on. Best to buy an energy efficient model because they don't care! Not their job. They are on vacation!
Incidentally, I don't know where people got the idea that turning the A/C on and off is more energy efficient. It's true only if you live in a low humidity zone. If you live in a zone with high humidity it's more efficient to leave it on than to switch between A/C and the window. Why? Because A/C only run when the rooms feels warm or is humid. It removed water from the air to make the room feel cooler. So every time you open the window in a humid zone the humidity re-enters the room.... the sheets, the bedding, the carpet, the towels, the floor, the wall, and the mattress. All that humidity needs to be removed by the A/C over time to make the room seem cool again, so you are doing the same thing over and over again, running it at full to remove humidity rather than maintaining.

Okay, you may not like this, but no one cares about your electricity bill except you. If you want them to turn it off, you better set up a keycard system otherwise, they are going to waste electric because they don't care... they are on vacation. How do I know? I see it all the time. I walk into rooms that have the windows open and the air conditioning on. I walk into rooms that have the lights on, during the day. I've seen them go out with the TV on. Or you may want to have a switch built into the window that automatically disconnects the A/C when they open the window.
Other side of the coin... if you don't have the TV and they want it, they will either look elsewhere or they will ding you in the review for it. If you have it and they don't want it, they will just not turn it on. Best to buy an energy efficient model because they don't care! Not their job. They are on vacation!
Incidentally, I don't know where people got the idea that turning the A/C on and off is more energy efficient. It's true only if you live in a low humidity zone. If you live in a zone with high humidity it's more efficient to leave it on than to switch between A/C and the window. Why? Because A/C only run when the rooms feels warm or is humid. It removed water from the air to make the room feel cooler. So every time you open the window in a humid zone the humidity re-enters the room.... the sheets, the bedding, the carpet, the towels, the floor, the wall, and the mattress. All that humidity needs to be removed by the A/C over time to make the room seem cool again, so you are doing the same thing over and over again, running it at full to remove humidity rather than maintaining..
yes, so very true. However, in this area, you pay extra for a/c. Its like an add on charge if used, or it is disconnected if not wanted, or a room without a/c is provided.
All what you said sounds fine, but the a/c is really used for sleeping here. So at night or when taking a nap. All other times, people are out side. So would keeping it on still make sense in this case. I guess we could test this out.
And thanks for being honest. Except, when we have rented, we have tried to respect this electricity thing down here. We did turn it off, used it only for sleeping. I don't know...

hmmm...just talked to a couple of locals, they point was not in the bedroom, since electricity is so expensive, sitting in the air conditioned bedroom watching t.v. would be REALLY expensive..
jmj said:
hmmm...just talked to a couple of locals, they point was not in the bedroom, since electricity is so expensive, sitting in the air conditioned bedroom watching t.v. would be REALLY expensive.
So they will switch off the AC in the bedroom while watching TV in the other room?
In this part of Mexico, as in most, electricity is a persons biggest expense. As part of our policies, AC would be expected to be used only in an occupied room. I think most people who venture this far from Cancun would be more respectful of issues like that. I don't kid myself, but there will be an education piece. And if that doesn't work, we charge you more! :( The AC units here are mini-splits, so they cool really quickly and so really don't need to be turned on for long till the room is cool.
If you will be getting a significant number of Americans as your guests, I can assure you, they will blast that air conditioner all the time. How do I know this? Because I'm one of them!
devil_smile.gif
I am miserable when it's hot and humid. I will only stay at places that have air conditioning in those type of regions. DH also has to have a tv.
So, I think it depends on where your guests are from. Large U.S. population? Air Conditioning and tv!
I totally agree. Must have ac. That is one reason we want to upgrade to the most energy efficient. The bed room is the only place practical for ac (can be closed off), the rest of the apartment was really built to use those ocean breezes, and with the addition of good ceiling fans, its really quite comfortable.

Incidentally, I don't know where people got the idea that turning the A/C on and off is more energy efficient. It's true only if you live in a low humidity zone. If you live in a zone with high humidity it's more efficient to leave it on than to switch between A/C and the window. Why? Because A/C only run when the rooms feels warm or is humid. It removed water from the air to make the room feel cooler. So every time you open the window in a humid zone the humidity re-enters the room.... the sheets, the bedding, the carpet, the towels, the floor, the wall, and the mattress. All that humidity needs to be removed by the A/C over time to make the room seem cool again, so you are doing the same thing over and over again, running it at full to remove humidity rather than maintaining..
yes, so very true. However, in this area, you pay extra for a/c. Its like an add on charge if used, or it is disconnected if not wanted, or a room without a/c is provided.
All what you said sounds fine, but the a/c is really used for sleeping here. So at night or when taking a nap. All other times, people are out side. So would keeping it on still make sense in this case. I guess we could test this out.
And thanks for being honest. Except, when we have rented, we have tried to respect this electricity thing down here. We did turn it off, used it only for sleeping. I don't know...
jmj said:
...when we have rented, we have tried to respect this electricity thing down here. We did turn it off, used it only for sleeping.
Unfortunately, not everybody is like you. The innkeepers here are telling you about the human nature of people who are different from you.
Perhaps put in a timer or switch so AC only works during the sleeping hours, or as you say, have it available full time if they pay enough extra for that amenity. Must put the timer/switch where guests cannot get to it, or they will bypass it.

Locals don't matter. It is what the tourist wants! Just make your rate enough to cover your expenses. Unless you are totally out in the boonies and can't get TV...get at least one to start with and wire the other room as well. You will get complaints if there is no TV.
Opps, what I meant by locals was an expat husband/Mexican wife who live here. So local, but not local?
Still they are locals...and not living there like a tourist visiting and staying at your place. You have to put yourself in the position of a guest...not someone who lives there. THINK about how a potential guest sees your place. That's why a GREAT website is important.

I have a B+B in New Orleans (No TV) and one in rural Tennessee (TVs).
For us, it depends on whether a guest can walk and watch TV somewhere.
Now, it is more important to have Wi-fi.

I have a B+B in New Orleans (No TV) and one in rural Tennessee (TVs).
For us, it depends on whether a guest can walk and watch TV somewhere.
Now, it is more important to have Wi-fi..
that's true - wi-fi is everything!
At check-in more people ask about wi-fi than breakfast.
Once had a family arrive, parents came in to check-in, kids waited in the car. Mum shouted out the front door "It's ok, they've got wifi" kids called back, "We know, we're on".

No tv is the best option we have. Why do we have to think about tv and keep a tv at home? We can read some books.
Are you in the business of customer service or Mao Tse-Tung's Cultural Revolution?
I'm in customer service. I don't tell my guests what to do, how to do it and what they are supposed to do on THEIR vacation.

No tv is the best option we have. Why do we have to think about tv and keep a tv at home? We can read some books.
Are you in the business of customer service or Mao Tse-Tung's Cultural Revolution?
I'm in customer service. I don't tell my guests what to do, how to do it and what they are supposed to do on THEIR vacation.
that was spam, when I went to quote it brought up a spammer link. I flagged it. Just so Jonno's comment makes sense replying to someone, it is now gone.

that was spam, when I went to quote it brought up a spammer link. I flagged it. Just so Jonno's comment makes sense replying to someone, it is now gone.
Thanks.... so people don't think I'm a complete nutter.

Jon Sable said:
Too late ;-)

Jon Sable said:
Just enough to make you interesting, fun, and to fit in with me(although not as nutter as me I think).

Jon Sable said:
Just enough to make you interesting, fun, and to fit in with me(although not as nutter as me I think).
gillumhouse said:
If we're going to make it a contest, there will be lots of contenders for the position of top nutter!

Jon Sable said:
gillumhouse said:
If we're going to make it a contest, there will be lots of contenders for the position of top nutter!
Fine you are peanut nutter :)

Jon Sable said:
gillumhouse said:
Fine you are peanut nutter :)
I'm a cayanne butter nutter.
lightbulb.gif

Back