TV

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No TV's in any of my four rooms or common room. Mostly due to the the soundproofing issues and comfort to other guests in the house. I have one in my room that I watch but only with wireless headphones while guests are in the house. Each place is different but here sound travels and will disturb others. The rooms all have CD/ipod/radio dock and that is bad enough when they turn them up louder than they should..
scrambled_eggs said:
No TV's in any of my four rooms or common room. Mostly due to the the soundproofing issues and comfort to other guests in the house. I have one in my room that I watch but only with wireless headphones while guests are in the house. Each place is different but here sound travels and will disturb others. The rooms all have CD/ipod/radio dock and that is bad enough when they turn them up louder than they should.
Have you considered someone needing to turn a TV up to soundproof against another room's "bed noises" of the vocal kind. ?
Joey Bloggs said:
scrambled_eggs said:
No TV's in any of my four rooms or common room. Mostly due to the the soundproofing issues and comfort to other guests in the house. I have one in my room that I watch but only with wireless headphones while guests are in the house. Each place is different but here sound travels and will disturb others. The rooms all have CD/ipod/radio dock and that is bad enough when they turn them up louder than they should.
Have you considered someone needing to turn a TV up to soundproof against another room's "bed noises" of the vocal kind. ?
That would just make it noisier I think. I had to put all the bathroom fans on timers because sometimes people would leave those running all night for white noise. Just the other night 3 rooms and myself were all in bed by 9pm and then the last room comes in from their day at 11:30pm and starts playing a guitar in their room and thumping their feet. Even though it was a private room it is still connected to the house and the vibrations carried. It woke one person up. I had to call up to the room and tell them to stop. Generally though people are pretty considerate and quiet playing games or reading books or on their laptops. I still stay busy without offering TVs.
scrambled_eggs said:
...sometimes people would leave those running all night for white noise.
My place is in the heart of downtown so I have these white noise machines by each bed. Well worth the money!

No TV's in any of my four rooms or common room. Mostly due to the the soundproofing issues and comfort to other guests in the house. I have one in my room that I watch but only with wireless headphones while guests are in the house. Each place is different but here sound travels and will disturb others. The rooms all have CD/ipod/radio dock and that is bad enough when they turn them up louder than they should..
scrambled_eggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
scrambled_eggs said:
That would just make it noisier I think. I had to put all the bathroom fans on timers because sometimes people would leave those running all night for white noise. Just the other night 3 rooms and myself were all in bed by 9pm and then the last room comes in from their day at 11:30pm and starts playing a guitar in their room and thumping their feet. Even though it was a private room it is still connected to the house and the vibrations carried. It woke one person up. I had to call up to the room and tell them to stop. Generally though people are pretty considerate and quiet playing games or reading books or on their laptops. I still stay busy without offering TVs.
I have had this problem this week twice in the same room
We are a town centre location so on a weekend or even week day we shut and lock (position people can still open them) all the windows - guest complained that traffic noise disturbed them, I was very surprised and asked if they had opened the windows - "oh yes we did" DUH!!!! the last ones live very much out in the country so I can see how you would do what you normally do, but you can see the road and traffic

scrambled_eggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
scrambled_eggs said:
We had to put a bathroom fan on a timer. The fan is right under my bed. Guests would hit the wrong switch going to the bathroom in the middle of the night and wake me right up. Or, like you, they would just leave it on for hours. Even my dog couldn't stand it!
I encourage guests to put the fan on the A/C on if they want white noise. Doesn't work now because the A/C's are all covered up for the winter, but it helps in the summer.

scrambled_eggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
scrambled_eggs said:
We are a town centre location so on a weekend or even week day we shut and lock (position people can still open them) all the windows - guest complained that traffic noise disturbed them, I was very surprised and asked if they had opened the windows - "oh yes we did" DUH!!!! the last ones live very much out in the country so I can see how you would do what you normally do, but you can see the road and traffic
Complaining about traffic noise isn't going to get you much relief. It's not like you have control over traffic. What did they expect you to do? Funny.

And then the city folks think our place is TOO quiet. You can't please all the people all the time...
Oh yeah the gal who freaked out when a helo flew over, she told us. Well there is a hospital in town and the lifeflight-helo means someone needed it!
Someone else thought we set up the train to blow its whistle to annoy them (which I love btw, and have mentioned here before - love the train, love the whistle)
My own personal noise disturbances are someone drying their hair in a bathroom super early in the am's and yell-talking over it while another is in the shower...
Those who can only stomp vs walk. High heels on wood floors clink clink clink. Back and forth back and forth.

scrambled_eggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
scrambled_eggs said:
Complaining about traffic noise isn't going to get you much relief. It's not like you have control over traffic. What did they expect you to do? Funny.
,my point is when the windows are shut there is no traffic noise - if you will open them next to a road you can clearly see cars going up and down then there is no cure for that level of idiocy!

We have TV with DVD players in each room. I set them to the Weather Channel when I make up the rooms. Before I put TVs in the rooms, I lost guests because SOMEONE wanted to watch a game.

I would have died if I could not watch the world series last night... I know our guests were watching it too..

I would have died if I could not watch the world series last night... I know our guests were watching it too...
Joey Bloggs said:
I would have died if I could not watch the world series last night... I know our guests were watching it too..
That's generally our weak spot when it comes to TV's - major sporting events. The other one? DWTS.

Wait, isn't DWTS a major sporting event?
wink_smile.gif

All rooms should have TV. The day isn't here where a wireless online connection is sufficient. TV is on the way out, but we're not there yet.
If you're telling yourself that women want a romantic time away from the TV, and you are telling yourself that it's the women who make the reservations, you're right. But no TV means the men will pressure for a different accommodation on the next romantic trip!
After the guests leave, I carefully track what channel the TVs are left on in my rooms. It's mostly CNBC, ESPN, and Fox News. That's MEN! Men NEED their TV, and they have at least a little input on where they will be staying. Give people what the want and they will love you. Frustrate men in their TV needs, and they will assert themselves...carefully.

All rooms should have TV. The day isn't here where a wireless online connection is sufficient. TV is on the way out, but we're not there yet.
If you're telling yourself that women want a romantic time away from the TV, and you are telling yourself that it's the women who make the reservations, you're right. But no TV means the men will pressure for a different accommodation on the next romantic trip!
After the guests leave, I carefully track what channel the TVs are left on in my rooms. It's mostly CNBC, ESPN, and Fox News. That's MEN! Men NEED their TV, and they have at least a little input on where they will be staying. Give people what the want and they will love you. Frustrate men in their TV needs, and they will assert themselves...carefully..
Arkansawyer said:
Frustrate men in their TV needs, and they will assert themselves...carefully.
Yes it is women who thank me in the morning for no TV. It's a sad commentary on their marriages. Just trying to help. :)

TV's in each room. Those not wanting TV and feel they can't resist will unplug them from the wall.
We are in a rural residential area which is quiet but we get those that complain about the frogs & crickets being to loud. (no I am not joking!)
We have a sound machine in each room, did that after the complaint about the frogs, etc. But most prefer their own white noise like a fan (their fan).

JB - I still blush over the memory of one memorable couple! They called one yr later to tell us they had planned on returning for their anniversary but could not because the last trip produced offspring.

We have tvs. Just had some guests ask what channel the football game is on tonight, And lots use the DVDs for movies.
Riki

Flat screen TV with DVD player in each suite and the cottage....none in the common room. At the rates we charge we figure the guests can make up their own mind about whether to turn the TV on or enjoy the quiet.

We don't have TV's in the B&B rooms but we do have a designated TV room for guests who want to watch something. 90% of the time that room is used for relaxing and reading without the TV ever getting turned on, but when there's a major event on, some guests will watch it then. We also have Netflix and movie channels available for guests but no one has ever used them.

I think having a TV in each room is very important.
Some people won't turn it on, I'm someone that always does turn it on. Even if I don't want to watch a specific show, it's nice to have on in the background.
Having a TV provides choice, so if you can afford to - get one for each room.

scrambled_eggs said:
Good people don't do that kind of thing. That's only for degenerates!
Sugar Bear said:
Good people don't do that kind of thing. That's only for degenerates!
The CEO of a major company here on business, booked the inn through the local connection here. I have never been so embarrassed in my life, as we had a good friend here for the first time, who I could tell was in his room saying "Oh this is what a bed and breakfast is all about..." we were in the kitchen and every room could hear them, and we heard the TVs going on everywhere...
I told you he called to book a stay here again this time round. He told us this was one of the neatest places... ugh. I THINK we can laugh about it now, I may still be blushing...
I agree with you, this types of things make human very lazy, Every thing do in the limitation which best for financial as well as human nature. This my Point of view.................!

Back