Utilities

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did this for taxes and it hurts as much the second time around:
12,000 sq. ft. building (9 guest rooms plus our owners side) -- no water bill as we have well/septic and no garbage as we have free pickup
Cable TV (9 guest rooms & 2 boxes our side & 2 other cable locations / PHONE (2 lines) / Business INTERNET: $3,000
Propane - all radiant heat & cooking & hot water (including 3 big jacuzzi tubs): $12,500 (typically $9,000 but had super cold Spring last year)
Electric: including 2 steam showers, outdoor hot tub and 9 Window air conditioners for season: $4,500
Taxes over $24K a year!

You'd hate to see my property tax bill... it has 5 digits!.
Our property tax high also but we have no state income tax.
Hotel tax.
Two sales taxes.
Property tax.
Two income taxes
Oh. We also have hotel/motel tax. It's 8.75%.
All three sales taxes total are 19%
Because my City did not enact the Ordinance - I collect 6% sales tax. Do not collect the 6% "bed" tax out of my city limits collects. I do not want to make anyone cry so I will not tell what my combined commercial real estate, business property tax (furnishings etc), and our personal property tax (based on Blue Book value of vehicle) totals for the year.

Speaking of taxes, I saw this today, listing which states are "tax-friendly" for retirees, and which ones aren't. (If it opens with an ad page, just click the link in the upper right to bypass the ad and see the US tax map.)
Not surprisingly, Arkansas and West Virginia are friendly. Several of your states are not!

Speaking of taxes, I saw this today, listing which states are "tax-friendly" for retirees, and which ones aren't. (If it opens with an ad page, just click the link in the upper right to bypass the ad and see the US tax map.)
Not surprisingly, Arkansas and West Virginia are friendly. Several of your states are not!.
Arks said:
Not surprisingly, Arkansas and West Virginia are friendly. Several of your states are not!
So that means I can move in with you when I retire?

Not surprisingly, Arkansas and West Virginia are friendly. Several of your states are not!.
Gulp! I hate to say, but we don't pay property tax here. We are in a tax-free zone because the government doesn't provide services where we live. We heat with a combo of wood and electric ( more wood than electric), pay a neighbouring town for our fire protection, (100 a year), pay province for garbage (160 a year,and we take beverage recyclables to a depot for cash back), have an artesian well and our own septic.
Province must plow the road in front to allow school buses access to the next village. We don't know how long the tax-free status will last because they're always talking about implementing it, but things move slowly here. Maybe by the time we're ready to retire.

Arks said:
Innkeep said:
But I've always wanted to retire to Oregon, which is not tax friendly! (But so beautiful!)

Arks said:
Innkeep said:
But I've always wanted to retire to Oregon, which is not tax friendly! (But so beautiful!)
Arks said:
Innkeep said:
No sales tax. So they make it up in income tax.

Yes, seems a good idea to divide grand total by number of rooms, including owners quarters as a room.
My utilities totaled $2250 per room.
That's gas, electric, water, cable TV, internet, and phone..
Also would be helpful to share general location and type of fuel as some folks will be heating for a long time vs those of use who cool for the majority of the year.
And, new technology use vs. renovated historic property without any of that in play. :)
All I know is that the utilities for our personal home went down by 2/3 after we closed the biz!

I think I need to go to old webster's and share the definition of TOTAL that I have in all caps and bold. You cats are sure hard to herd.
shades_smile.gif
Not to mention to prevent the sidetracking...
And there they went to taxes, not utilities. hahahaha....

Those maps are always interesting - especially to me since I live in one of those supposed most tax friendly states. What it doesn't tell you is that my State has one of the lowest average incomes state-wide, highest utility costs (there is a State monopoly on electricity with guaranteed profit to the provider), and so much more.
We are moving to a State that is in the next lowest category & will actually pay less overall in total taxes in a brand new home (slightly less square footage but valued more than the one I live in now). Can't wait...

Gas (bottled), electricity, water, heating oil, phone + internet, plus local authority tax: $9200 (I converted to USDs)
That's a 5 bedroom house, 3 of which are guest rooms.

Back