Valentines weekend ,will anyone show up ? Snow forcast .

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I-81 is closed in this section, and planes are cancelled, and one room cancelled of the three for tonight.
I spoke to all of them yesterday, they acted like "if they could just land they would be okay" the roads are a giant traffic gnarl, even a fatality. They ask you to STAY OFF the roads, not go on them unless and emergency.
Meanwhile, here at the homestead:
Meet Dude
and youngest daughter and again
and both, the whole fam and me.
Joey Bloggs said:
Meet Dude
and both, the whole fam and me
What a cute family! Wow how many inches have y'all gotten.
copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Meet Dude
12 or 15 or something this morning...it has been snowing since we took these and will til midnight.
Our second room canceled stuck at O'Hare. The last is a mother on her own driving up from Georgia... I told them the roads are bad, the interstates are bad. DH is freakin' out about it, tell her NOT TO COME. Her daughter is getting married...it is never easy or simple is it!
GREAT pictures!!!

I-81 is closed in this section, and planes are cancelled, and one room cancelled of the three for tonight.
I spoke to all of them yesterday, they acted like "if they could just land they would be okay" the roads are a giant traffic gnarl, even a fatality. They ask you to STAY OFF the roads, not go on them unless and emergency.
Meet Dude
Joey Bloggs said:
Meet Dude
copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Meet Dude
12 or 15 or something this morning...it has been snowing since we took these and will til midnight.
Our second room canceled stuck at O'Hare. The last is a mother on her own driving up from Georgia... I told them the roads are bad, the interstates are bad. DH is freakin' out about it, tell her NOT TO COME. Her daughter is getting married...it is never easy or simple is it!
Daughter getting married..oh my...I don't know how she could possibly drive to VA from GA safely!!! Good luck.
Love the pics! Still hasn't stopped snowing here. Al hasn't begun to clear anything. He is waiting till it is over hopefully tomorrow
Be safe!
EmptyNest said:
Daughter getting married..oh my...I don't know how she could possibly drive to VA from GA safely!!! Good luck.
Love the pics! Still hasn't stopped snowing here. Al hasn't begun to clear anything. He is waiting till it is over hopefully tomorrow
Be safe!
They called they will be here. in 3 or so hours. It is 7pm. I tried really hard to convince them. I-81 is shut down in parts, 13 mile back up in Pulaski. I asked which interstate or hwy they are taking? "Whatever one the GPS chooses..."
So they have to park out front and climb up the snowy steps, the back is not plowed. I expect them to roll in super late...but I know it is for a good reason, so I can't blame them!
The same thing happened to us last weekend! Freak snow storm, roads closed, chains required, shouldn't drive warnings! I tried to talk guests from coming and we would happily reschedule them...2 rooms came anyway. I worried the whole time on Friday and then again on Sunday when they left. Was hoping they made it home!
Sometimes guests don't get that we have a certain responsibility and it is not going to be 'oh, we're snowed in at our B&B, how romantic' for us!!!
We'll be working and worrying the power doesn't go out!
Nothing romantic about a houseful of guests and no power! Especially if the whole town is out. No place to eat, nothing to do, etc.

We have guests we're not sure will be able to leave! But no incoming guests have canceled..
Madeleine said:
We have guests we're not sure will be able to leave! But no incoming guests have canceled.
We've just been through this, of course. All your answers are here, except you didn't ask a question :)
Tried to email incoming guests, email bounced. Thinking they might cancel. May call them in the morning.
Guests have been found accommodations in town if the incoming guests won't switch rooms.
Not a panic situation but don't like to throw the guests out!

Meet Dude
Joey Bloggs said:
Meet Dude
copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Meet Dude
Be safe!
EmptyNest said:
Be safe!
They called they will be here. in 3 or so hours. It is 7pm. I tried really hard to convince them. I-81 is shut down in parts, 13 mile back up in Pulaski. I asked which interstate or hwy they are taking? "Whatever one the GPS chooses..."
So they have to park out front and climb up the snowy steps, the back is not plowed. I expect them to roll in super late...but I know it is for a good reason, so I can't blame them!
2 weeks ago I had to tell some horse people from Canada they were NOT coming here. I was able to convince them when I said safety is a higher priority to us than revenue. People do not get it when you tell them the farmer said IF they got their rig up to his place, they would not get it back down until Spring. I told them there was NO cancel fee of any kind and we hope to see you in the Spring on your return trip.
It snowed almost all day here. I am actually relieved that my 2-night package cancelled. They would not have been able to go see the covered bridges and I am hoping the wineries will be open by Saturday & Sunday for my Saturday inn-coming 2 rooms.

Meet Dude
Joey Bloggs said:
Meet Dude
copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Meet Dude
Be safe!
EmptyNest said:
Be safe!
2 weeks ago I had to tell some horse people from Canada they were NOT coming here. I was able to convince them when I said safety is a higher priority to us than revenue. People do not get it when you tell them the farmer said IF they got their rig up to his place, they would not get it back down until Spring. I told them there was NO cancel fee of any kind and we hope to see you in the Spring on your return trip.
It snowed almost all day here. I am actually relieved that my 2-night package cancelled. They would not have been able to go see the covered bridges and I am hoping the wineries will be open by Saturday & Sunday for my Saturday inn-coming 2 rooms.
gillumhouse said:
...I am hoping the wineries will be open by Saturday & Sunday for my Saturday inn-coming 2 rooms.
While we still have snow on the ground here that fell 2 weeks ago, they're predicting a high of 65 this weekend! Break out the tee shirts and shorts!

Meet Dude
Joey Bloggs said:
Meet Dude
copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Meet Dude
Be safe!
EmptyNest said:
Be safe!
gillumhouse said:
...I am hoping the wineries will be open by Saturday & Sunday for my Saturday inn-coming 2 rooms.
While we still have snow on the ground here that fell 2 weeks ago, they're predicting a high of 65 this weekend! Break out the tee shirts and shorts!
Called both wineries this morning and both are open today - however we are expected to get rain followed by another few inches of snow. That means the snow plows will take snow off roads that are slick as snot. Both wineries have hills to get to them - SURPRISE, it is West Virginia! - and since the guests will be coming across I-68 (which gets closed regularly due to snow, ice, and wind) and get across Slidling Hill in Maryland. IF they make that trip they are determined winos.

Our snow forcast was for a new "dusting" of snow. It's now 2-4". 2 of 4 rooms have checked in. One local couple is having car trouble and is scurrying around trying to get the baby to grandma and getting here. They may be the ones not to show! Other couple is coming from about 120 muiles away. I think they'll be here, albeit probably late.

3 feet of snow at my parents' house. More coming tomorrow. A few guests coming from that area. No one has called...

Our snow forcast was for a new "dusting" of snow. It's now 2-4". 2 of 4 rooms have checked in. One local couple is having car trouble and is scurrying around trying to get the baby to grandma and getting here. They may be the ones not to show! Other couple is coming from about 120 muiles away. I think they'll be here, albeit probably late..
Innkeep said:
Our snow forcast was for a new "dusting" of snow. It's now 2-4". 2 of 4 rooms have checked in. One local couple is having car trouble and is scurrying around trying to get the baby to grandma and getting here. They may be the ones not to show! Other couple is coming from about 120 muiles away. I think they'll be here, albeit probably late.
I have a couple from Indianapolis here tonight later after their wedding, I am hoping it is in the area. Two nights, my ONLY valentine's day couple, after all this snow!

Our snow forcast was for a new "dusting" of snow. It's now 2-4". 2 of 4 rooms have checked in. One local couple is having car trouble and is scurrying around trying to get the baby to grandma and getting here. They may be the ones not to show! Other couple is coming from about 120 muiles away. I think they'll be here, albeit probably late..
Innkeep said:
I have a couple from Indianapolis here tonight later after their wedding, I am hoping it is in the area. Two nights, my ONLY valentine's day couple, after all this snow!
My Valentines couple cancelled but not because of weather. I am holding off until EARLY morning to see what we have from overnight re my inn-coming. Both wineries say they are open. We are getting the predicted rain now - it is supposed to turn to snow tonight - just 3 to 5 inches. no biggie unless there is a sheet if ice under it. I already scheduled the guy with the snow shovel to check in tomorrow before 1 PM.

Innkeep said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Innkeep said:
I have an Indy couple here too. They were the ones I thought may not show, at least for tonight, but they said they seemed to miss it as they headed south. Determined to be here, heading on a cruise on Sun.

Back