Varying Cancellation Fees/Time Depending on Cost and Length of Reservation?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I booked at a hotel and had to cancel. No refund. Not a b&b or inn, a hotel.
I also booked a round trip flight on jetblue and had to cancel. No refund.
Round trip ferry reservations and had to cancel those as well. No refund but I can use the tickets within a certain time frame.
The response to me from the hotel and jetblue was that I should have bought trip insurance. Big mistake on my part.
My son reserved a venue for a wedding reception - over a year away. $1500 deposit. Within a month they had to change the date and no refund, not even if they switched dates at that venue. That place is booked solid and they immediately found a new couple wanting the date and time. I know it's not a hotel or b&b but the penalty was staggering. Not refunded because the venue was able to rebook. the place had done nothing but take their info and their deposit.
I had a much more lenient policy for shorter stays at my b&b - and it was a much smaller cancellation window. I could often get a walk-in for one night on a Friday or Saturday - sometimes both nights, the rest of the week, no.
For me, for a whole house booking or a long stay - that would have a huge impact on me and those rooms would go begging if people were to cancel that kind of booking.
I see this as wanting to discourage place holders for big bookings or long stays. I see nothing wrong with that. You can always make exceptions case by case for someone who cancels if you choose.
I had a local innkeeper with a small place come crying to me (literally) when her one booking of all three of her rooms was a no show. She kept thinking something happened to them and they would show up. Finally chased them down on what would have been the 3rd night of their 4 night stay. They'd found someplace they liked better, that was all. And she turned away so many reservations as it was during the lobster festival in a nearby town. She had no deposit, nothing. Maybe her out of the way location was the problem - it was lovely but it also made walk-ins rare.
Maybe it hardened me. It totally hardened her..
Sea Shanty... Perfect reasons for why we small businesses especially need to protect ourselves first.
Sorry JB...

I'm kind of confused here because of some of your responses of non-refundable at time of booking. Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago a newbie got roasted over the coals for doing just that?.
Breakfast Diva said:
I'm kind of confused here because of some of your responses of non-refundable at time of booking. Wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago a newbie got roasted over the coals for doing just that?
I think that was a BIG non-refundable and because the rez was canceled a couple months in advance of the event. Also it was not just put back in inventory in time to just resell it. Left it to the guest to resell and then it was too late to expect the innkeeper to fill the rez. It was complicated.

We have a 50% (or minimum of 2-nights) deposit with a 30 day cancellation policy. Service charge of $25 is taken from the deposit which is only refunded if we can book all the nights of the original reservation. This policy has cut down the number of cancellations we have from "place holders" who are thinking of taking a week-long seminar in the area. There are other B+B in the area who take a non-refundable 50% deposit with the total amount charged 7 days before arrival, so our policy is sort of middle of the road.
In reality, if we think the person is genuine, and we manage to get our total $ after filling some of the nights, I sometimes show good will and give a partial refund. But if I have had to jump through hoops to fill the room, taking 1 and 2 night reservations, then I figure I have earned the $ and stick to my policy.

Round trip ferry reservations and had to cancel those as well. No refund but I can use the tickets within a certain time frame.
The response to me from the hotel and jetblue was that I should have bought trip insurance. Big mistake on my part.
My son reserved a venue for a wedding reception - over a year away. $1500 deposit. Within a month they had to change the date and no refund, not even if they switched dates at that venue. That place is booked solid and they immediately found a new couple wanting the date and time. I know it's not a hotel or b&b but the penalty was staggering. Not refunded because the venue was able to rebook. the place had done nothing but take their info and their deposit.
I had a much more lenient policy for shorter stays at my b&b - and it was a much smaller cancellation window. I could often get a walk-in for one night on a Friday or Saturday - sometimes both nights, the rest of the week, no.
For me, for a whole house booking or a long stay - that would have a huge impact on me and those rooms would go begging if people were to cancel that kind of booking.
I see this as wanting to discourage place holders for big bookings or long stays. I see nothing wrong with that. You can always make exceptions case by case for someone who cancels if you choose.
I had a local innkeeper with a small place come crying to me (literally) when her one booking of all three of her rooms was a no show. She kept thinking something happened to them and they would show up. Finally chased them down on what would have been the 3rd night of their 4 night stay. They'd found someplace they liked better, that was all. And she turned away so many reservations as it was during the lobster festival in a nearby town. She had no deposit, nothing. Maybe her out of the way location was the problem - it was lovely but it also made walk-ins rare.
Sea Shanty... Perfect reasons for why we small businesses especially need to protect ourselves first.
Sorry JB...
Yes Sea Shanty and Momma Smurf. Business is business every store has it own rules we all must abide by them. Us being in the accommodation make no difference. I tell all my guest to get trip insurance cause you never know what is going to happen. I worked my but off trying to rebook a 5 day stay . I only end up booking one day out of the 5 . I gave her the money back for that day, as I did not need to charge twice for the same room.
They never even thanked me. I offered the next person some additives if they booked during that time frame. I offered the guest a gift certificate she did not want to come and travel here. They had changed their plans 2 days before their arrival time. All she wanted was her money back and a for us to eat up her cost by giving her a better deal? Really ! Yes I am hard . This is a business and in this case I was not the charity shop.There was no need to be one. She knew the conditions of our policy she agreed to those conditions. Both over the phone and 2 emails with a return email saying she agreed and full understood the policy.

Sorry JB...
Yes Sea Shanty and Momma Smurf. Business is business every store has it own rules we all must abide by them. Us being in the accommodation make no difference. I tell all my guest to get trip insurance cause you never know what is going to happen. I worked my but off trying to rebook a 5 day stay . I only end up booking one day out of the 5 . I gave her the money back for that day, as I did not need to charge twice for the same room.
They never even thanked me. I offered the next person some additives if they booked during that time frame. I offered the guest a gift certificate she did not want to come and travel here. They had changed their plans 2 days before their arrival time. All she wanted was her money back and a for us to eat up her cost by giving her a better deal? Really ! Yes I am hard . This is a business and in this case I was not the charity shop.There was no need to be one. She knew the conditions of our policy she agreed to those conditions. Both over the phone and 2 emails with a return email saying she agreed and full understood the policy.
Cancellations do affect us greatly at the last minute. And while I won't keep someone's money if I'm able to rebook, I do keep the deposit for any nights I can't rebook. Had a guy last month cancel 4 days before his arrival in my most expensive and least expensive rooms for 2 nights each ($1200 reservation). He said he knew the policies and his Dad had been undergoing dialysis so he never should have booked without trip insurance given that his Dad might not be able to go. But he was hoping someone would rebook so he wasn't out all his money. Someone took the Saturday night in each room but I was left with the Friday. But here's the thing - that week I only had two rooms left for the upcoming weekend. Because those rooms opened back up, they were chosen. Had this guest not cancelled, I would have been full. So we actually did lose money even those HIS rooms rebooked -- those guests would have taken the other rooms, they always do because all of the rooms are nice. Therefore, in reality I should have charged him the remaining one night in each room because I still lost over $600 because of his last minute cancellation. Those two rooms remained empty. I know a property who does this, she'll first fill her rooms that were free that week and then and only then will she fill the ones who cancelled last minute because like my example otherwise she's out lost of money.

Sorry JB...
Cancellations do affect us greatly at the last minute. And while I won't keep someone's money if I'm able to rebook, I do keep the deposit for any nights I can't rebook. Had a guy last month cancel 4 days before his arrival in my most expensive and least expensive rooms for 2 nights each ($1200 reservation). He said he knew the policies and his Dad had been undergoing dialysis so he never should have booked without trip insurance given that his Dad might not be able to go. But he was hoping someone would rebook so he wasn't out all his money. Someone took the Saturday night in each room but I was left with the Friday. But here's the thing - that week I only had two rooms left for the upcoming weekend. Because those rooms opened back up, they were chosen. Had this guest not cancelled, I would have been full. So we actually did lose money even those HIS rooms rebooked -- those guests would have taken the other rooms, they always do because all of the rooms are nice. Therefore, in reality I should have charged him the remaining one night in each room because I still lost over $600 because of his last minute cancellation. Those two rooms remained empty. I know a property who does this, she'll first fill her rooms that were free that week and then and only then will she fill the ones who cancelled last minute because like my example otherwise she's out lost of money.
MtnKeeper said:
I know a property who does this, she'll first fill her rooms that were free that week and then and only then will she fill the ones who cancelled last minute because like my example otherwise she's out lost of money.
That's what I do also. Only if the other rooms are full. Also, I give them a warning. This is written on our policy page, confirmation letter and policies they have to click for online reservations "Because last minute cancellations greatly affect us, our cancellation policy is strictly enforced."

I would make my policy for bookings over $1000 we will charge a non refundable deposit of X% and you decide. how much that is ie 10%
For me that kind of booking means a day off - if I have to replace it with all 1 or 2 nighters its a lot more work and laundry and meaning we have to have someone here to let them in which is a pain.

Sorry JB...
As an alternative, you could apply an occupancy percentage here to determine if they qualify for a refund. That would be entirely appropriate and ethical in my opinion.

Back