Vetting guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one will ever expect to be questioned prior to booking at a B&B - you would turn them off immediately. Let your website describe what your place is about and be as clear as possible. I just recently changed some parts of my website because even though the first line says it's a place for couples to get away from all, we just had two mothers bring their 12 and 14 year old children. They then left the 14 year old here and went out to dinner and I was going to my son's concert. I was worried about him in the building without family and other guests there, let alone if there was a fire, etc. So it's now perfectly clear that it's for couples, no one under 18 at all. We'll see if the new wording words. Also, price typically can help you get the kinds of guests you want.

No one will ever expect to be questioned prior to booking at a B&B - you would turn them off immediately. Let your website describe what your place is about and be as clear as possible. I just recently changed some parts of my website because even though the first line says it's a place for couples to get away from all, we just had two mothers bring their 12 and 14 year old children. They then left the 14 year old here and went out to dinner and I was going to my son's concert. I was worried about him in the building without family and other guests there, let alone if there was a fire, etc. So it's now perfectly clear that it's for couples, no one under 18 at all. We'll see if the new wording words. Also, price typically can help you get the kinds of guests you want..
MtnKeeper said:
No one will ever expect to be questioned prior to booking at a B&B - you would turn them off immediately. Let your website describe what your place is about and be as clear as possible. I just recently changed some parts of my website because even though the first line says it's a place for couples to get away from all, we just had two mothers bring their 12 and 14 year old children. They then left the 14 year old here and went out to dinner and I was going to my son's concert. I was worried about him in the building without family and other guests there, let alone if there was a fire, etc. So it's now perfectly clear that it's for couples, no one under 18 at all. We'll see if the new wording words. Also, price typically can help you get the kinds of guests you want.
That sort of stuff frosts me. We had a dad leave his 2 kids here while he went out. I called him and told him to come get his kids. The car was gone, we thought they were checked out!
If we know the family, that's one thing, but not complete strangers.

I think it's valid for a newbie or an aspiring to read about PITA's and problems and think maybe they can do some kind of pre-screening to prevent them. But temporary lodging (rooms at the inn) is different from a long term rental like a house or apartment, and even a week long rental. In my opinion it's just not practical, feasible and in some cases might be illegal if it seems you're discriminating on some basis.
In my case, I took walk-ins - my livelihood depended on it - it was a large part of doing business in a little harbor. Some of my best guests (really) were those that got to the end of the road where I was and were just too tired to turn around and drive back. Often they'd ask to stay one night and then in the morning (or even a few hours later) would come to ask if they could extent their stay (yay)
Newbies and aspirings - don't be scared. Yes, if you rent out rooms you're going to have some 'bad' guests - but mostly you're going to have great ones. The 'bad' ones make the best stories here. Just like the calamities in your life make the best stories.

I think it's valid for a newbie or an aspiring to read about PITA's and problems and think maybe they can do some kind of pre-screening to prevent them. But temporary lodging (rooms at the inn) is different from a long term rental like a house or apartment, and even a week long rental. In my opinion it's just not practical, feasible and in some cases might be illegal if it seems you're discriminating on some basis.
In my case, I took walk-ins - my livelihood depended on it - it was a large part of doing business in a little harbor. Some of my best guests (really) were those that got to the end of the road where I was and were just too tired to turn around and drive back. Often they'd ask to stay one night and then in the morning (or even a few hours later) would come to ask if they could extent their stay (yay)
Newbies and aspirings - don't be scared. Yes, if you rent out rooms you're going to have some 'bad' guests - but mostly you're going to have great ones. The 'bad' ones make the best stories here. Just like the calamities in your life make the best stories..
So true, Sea. Thanks for that!
regular_smile.gif

Good feedback. I definitely don't want to do airbnb -- those horror stories are what planted the heebie jeebie seeds in my mind. Well -- that and a personal experience in Miami. Funny story (if you're up for a little levity...)
My husband and I and another couple rented hotel rooms in an upscale hotel in Miami for a medical conference my husband was attending. Unbeknownst to us - the weekend we were there was Urban Beach Week - a huge annual hip-hop festival. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Beach_Week). OMG! There was no controlling the crowd. Though the hotel was non-smoking -- the cigarette smoke throughout all the floors was THICK. The woman we were traveling with was pregnant and was nauseous from the smoke. Management just shook their head when we asked if there was ANYPLACE they could put us where we could get away from the smoke. Many businesses -- restaurants, bars, hotels close down for that week to prevent damage to their businesses.
The funny part of this story is that we were still clueless as to the festival going on when we went out to dinner the first night (at South Beach). We certainly saw all the Hip-Hop crowd. In fact, we saw nothing but the hip-hop crowd. We took a cab to South Beach to go to a particular restaurant and the cab driver told us he would only take us to a particular intersection and we would have to walk the rest of the way. We thought that was odd but said ok. When we got out of the cab, we noticed two busloads of police officers de-boarding. So, here we are - 4 very middle-aged, very conservative obviously NON hip-hoppers surrounded by a mass of rowdy hip-hoppers (who didn't seem to want us there intruding on their good time). One policeman who was helping crowds cross the street looked at us and said, "What are YOU doing here? When we told him we were just going to dinner at Mango's, he said, "Why?". Then he asked my husband what his name was. We later laughed about that question - saying the cop wanted to know what to put on his toe tag if we didn't make it out alive. But I digress...
I guess that what it comes down to -- if you're going to be open to the public -- you have to take the bad with the good - not that I have to worry about urban beach week in Tulsa.
and short of Urban beach week -- its' price, policy, photo's to weed out the riff raff. Got it.
Sea - thanks for the thread on this subject. I will read it....
It wasn't too many years ago that hotels asked for Drivers license and tag numbers. Is that still standard operating procedure?
I have never had to show my drivers license..but they have asked for tag number.

Good feedback. I definitely don't want to do airbnb -- those horror stories are what planted the heebie jeebie seeds in my mind. Well -- that and a personal experience in Miami. Funny story (if you're up for a little levity...)
My husband and I and another couple rented hotel rooms in an upscale hotel in Miami for a medical conference my husband was attending. Unbeknownst to us - the weekend we were there was Urban Beach Week - a huge annual hip-hop festival. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Beach_Week). OMG! There was no controlling the crowd. Though the hotel was non-smoking -- the cigarette smoke throughout all the floors was THICK. The woman we were traveling with was pregnant and was nauseous from the smoke. Management just shook their head when we asked if there was ANYPLACE they could put us where we could get away from the smoke. Many businesses -- restaurants, bars, hotels close down for that week to prevent damage to their businesses.
The funny part of this story is that we were still clueless as to the festival going on when we went out to dinner the first night (at South Beach). We certainly saw all the Hip-Hop crowd. In fact, we saw nothing but the hip-hop crowd. We took a cab to South Beach to go to a particular restaurant and the cab driver told us he would only take us to a particular intersection and we would have to walk the rest of the way. We thought that was odd but said ok. When we got out of the cab, we noticed two busloads of police officers de-boarding. So, here we are - 4 very middle-aged, very conservative obviously NON hip-hoppers surrounded by a mass of rowdy hip-hoppers (who didn't seem to want us there intruding on their good time). One policeman who was helping crowds cross the street looked at us and said, "What are YOU doing here? When we told him we were just going to dinner at Mango's, he said, "Why?". Then he asked my husband what his name was. We later laughed about that question - saying the cop wanted to know what to put on his toe tag if we didn't make it out alive. But I digress...
I guess that what it comes down to -- if you're going to be open to the public -- you have to take the bad with the good - not that I have to worry about urban beach week in Tulsa.
and short of Urban beach week -- its' price, policy, photo's to weed out the riff raff. Got it.
It wasn't too many years ago that hotels asked for Drivers license and tag numbers. Is that still standard operating procedure?
Aspiring Martha said:
Yes. Most hotels ask for ID along with credit card. They no longer ask to identify your car. They have your credit card and they aren't afraid to use it. :)

Aspiring Martha said:
You'll need to check with your state and local authorities. I'm always asked for id in NY, NV, CA, OR and WA.
We are required to get a signature, but I haven't heard I have to check id and get a plate number. (There, now you know I'm from one of those states that calls them 'plates' instead of 'tags'.)
We just say, what's your name and show them to their rooms. No signatures. No extra cc.
We do advertise that we are 'casual.' I guess we really are. :)

Here is a thread that ran not too long ago that might be helpful to you - if you run a b&b/inn, folks stay short term in individual rooms - it's not the same as a vacation rental where they are on their own in your property. Unless you're taking (or not accepting) a group reservation.
https://www.innspiring.com/node/16216.
Ha, ha, reading the Q re vetting, I said to myself: Here we go Under the Sea again! Can you believe this was almost a year ago? Wonder where he is now....
Haha - I just finished reading that thread. Yikes. Hopefully - he won't be back to capsize the boat this time.
plus not being funny but 75% of my people book online (only ones that don't are regulars, old people, people with many and various special requirements and oddballs) people I hate to break it to you don't really want to speak to you - they want to book when and where they like, look at your web site for as long as they want, dither about doing something and then book. I do use air as you can look at their reviews ie how they behaved at other places but that's a lot more than most OTA's (online travel agents) give you.
Went on a course and it was all about accommodation going the extra mile for customer service - lady ran 5* holiday cottages for 7 day let at a time - she wrote an individual letter to all guests - yes thats fine she has a max of 52 to write a year - I have potentially 11 to write a day and probably 2 of them booked either yesterday or today - isn't even remotely viable! then recommended writing to them again for a review ie printed check list to fill in (ie really paper) and then post back with a self addressed envelope - Id be bankrupt on postage!

Here is a thread that ran not too long ago that might be helpful to you - if you run a b&b/inn, folks stay short term in individual rooms - it's not the same as a vacation rental where they are on their own in your property. Unless you're taking (or not accepting) a group reservation.
Ha, ha, reading the Q re vetting, I said to myself: Here we go Under the Sea again! Can you believe this was almost a year ago? Wonder where he is now....
Haha - I just finished reading that thread. Yikes. Hopefully - he won't be back to capsize the boat this time.
plus not being funny but 75% of my people book online (only ones that don't are regulars, old people, people with many and various special requirements and oddballs) people I hate to break it to you don't really want to speak to you - they want to book when and where they like, look at your web site for as long as they want, dither about doing something and then book. I do use air as you can look at their reviews ie how they behaved at other places but that's a lot more than most OTA's (online travel agents) give you.
Went on a course and it was all about accommodation going the extra mile for customer service - lady ran 5* holiday cottages for 7 day let at a time - she wrote an individual letter to all guests - yes thats fine she has a max of 52 to write a year - I have potentially 11 to write a day and probably 2 of them booked either yesterday or today - isn't even remotely viable! then recommended writing to them again for a review ie printed check list to fill in (ie really paper) and then post back with a self addressed envelope - Id be bankrupt on postage!

I'm lucky if I get the complete names of everyone staying. Hate when someone puts a note that is their anniversary or its their spouse's birthday and this is what is in both fields for name: John Smith.
I'd like to write a card but not if I can't put the right names in!
So, yeah, not writing a personal letter to every guest. It's nice, but most times I find the anniversary card in the trash. It's not like it's a treasured memento.

I have never had to show my drivers license..but they have asked for tag number.
I had a hotel in Toronto ask for my driver's licence.... and they got it from me. The law doesn't requires you to prove identity to rent a hotel room. You have my name, you have my CC, DONE! They wanted to photocopy it!
Around here, it's illegal to ask for someone's medical card. They can ask for your driver's licence, but they can't even legally write down the number. Just writing down your driver's licence number or your social security number is a violation of the law unless you are listed as needing it, by law.
I hate when companies do that. It's such an invasion of privacy.

I had a hotel in Toronto ask for my driver's licence.... and they got it from me. The law doesn't requires you to prove identity to rent a hotel room. You have my name, you have my CC, DONE! They wanted to photocopy it!
Around here, it's illegal to ask for someone's medical card. They can ask for your driver's licence, but they can't even legally write down the number. Just writing down your driver's licence number or your social security number is a violation of the law unless you are listed as needing it, by law.
Wow! I would be shocked if I wrote a check or went to the bank to do business and wasn't asked for my drivers license. Of course, checks are becoming almost passe' now -- though I do still occasionally write one - and my license number and date of birth is always written down on the check.

Wow! I would be shocked if I wrote a check or went to the bank to do business and wasn't asked for my drivers license. Of course, checks are becoming almost passe' now -- though I do still occasionally write one - and my license number and date of birth is always written down on the check.
What's a cheque? Haven't written one in MONTHS.

What's a cheque? Haven't written one in MONTHS.
Yeah, yeah - Old habits die hard (says the old dog to the young whippersnapper)
wink_smile.gif

No one will ever expect to be questioned prior to booking at a B&B - you would turn them off immediately. Let your website describe what your place is about and be as clear as possible. I just recently changed some parts of my website because even though the first line says it's a place for couples to get away from all, we just had two mothers bring their 12 and 14 year old children. They then left the 14 year old here and went out to dinner and I was going to my son's concert. I was worried about him in the building without family and other guests there, let alone if there was a fire, etc. So it's now perfectly clear that it's for couples, no one under 18 at all. We'll see if the new wording words. Also, price typically can help you get the kinds of guests you want..
That is exactly why we do not take kids under 18. Period. An unattended minor becomes your problem if a parent decides to leave them for a while. I am very clear in the wording on the site and emphasize that we are adult only when I take the booking.

We ask them to sign our card and there's a line for the license plate/tag number. It's a good idea as we had a guest leave their convertible down and it poured rain. All guests were from the same state... One guest commented on how they feel like they are being pampered, down to their car.

That is exactly why we do not take kids under 18. Period. An unattended minor becomes your problem if a parent decides to leave them for a while. I am very clear in the wording on the site and emphasize that we are adult only when I take the booking.
Maybe a note that says "Unattended children will be given to children services for babysitting purposes"

We speak to the guest before booking but rarely decline a reservation due to the conversation. If the prospective guest is an adult, understands our policies and will be alone or with another adult while here, we take their money.
I would have no idea how to vett a guest. If they were planning on being up to no good while here they would be sneaky enough to hide that fact from us before arriving..
After a bad experience, we started not taking phone reservations after 7 pm for the same night. Walk-ups where we can see them, that's one thing. But most people coming into our little town without making a reservation are usually not tourists. We have probably missed a couple of nice folks, but I know we've turned away some problems as well.

Yes! There was hospitality's anti-particle.

Back