Washing Machine Economy Programs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here to offer a word of advice from one who did not know....
These new machines without agitators lead to make you believe you can place more in them than those with agitators.
Well you can, but at a price. That price is a costly one, especially the front loader style. They are not designed with belts any longer and the repairs on them are more costly than replacement.
I now have a new agitator free top loader as our research found they were less likely to have the same problem BUT it still stresses not to over load the washer. The picture indicates not to load higher than about 1/3 of the way up.

They don't use as much water or detergent than the old reliable agitator machines, but at least the old ones were dependable and repairable..
You say a third of the way up. So, how many sets of bedding do you manage to fit in? I'm in the market for a new washer and probably dryer. DH has been after me to put my sheets out on the line, Newfoundland -style, but I can't see me running in and out of the house while I'm turning over rooms. Plus the fact I'm afraid of stuff blowing down the hill and bird poop--lots of sea gulls and eagles flyin' around here. I know the sheets have a great smell to them, just can't see the practicality of it.
Sheets in the wind - we pulled into a B&B where the sheets were on the line drying. I thought it was tacky. Perfectly OK for home, and I'll put a line out when we move, but not ok for a business.
Sorry HJ, I just read you do this. Just how I feel seeing the laundry as I'm pulling up for my vacation.
Actually, laundry on the line is a big Newfoundland tradition. Featured in quite a few of the commercials that tourism puts out. People around here think it's charming and love it. Like I said, I just can't see me running in and out of the house while I'm cleaning. Much easier to set my timer and run up and down stairs.Inside.
I had no idea!

These new machines without agitators lead to make you believe you can place more in them than those with agitators.
Well you can, but at a price. That price is a costly one, especially the front loader style. They are not designed with belts any longer and the repairs on them are more costly than replacement.
I now have a new agitator free top loader as our research found they were less likely to have the same problem BUT it still stresses not to over load the washer. The picture indicates not to load higher than about 1/3 of the way up.

They don't use as much water or detergent than the old reliable agitator machines, but at least the old ones were dependable and repairable..
You say a third of the way up. So, how many sets of bedding do you manage to fit in? I'm in the market for a new washer and probably dryer. DH has been after me to put my sheets out on the line, Newfoundland -style, but I can't see me running in and out of the house while I'm turning over rooms. Plus the fact I'm afraid of stuff blowing down the hill and bird poop--lots of sea gulls and eagles flyin' around here. I know the sheets have a great smell to them, just can't see the practicality of it.
Sheets in the wind - we pulled into a B&B where the sheets were on the line drying. I thought it was tacky. Perfectly OK for home, and I'll put a line out when we move, but not ok for a business.
Sorry HJ, I just read you do this. Just how I feel seeing the laundry as I'm pulling up for my vacation.
My clothes line is in the back - unseen unless the guests are on a motorcycle - they park in the driveway so would see the back yard - IF the sheets were still up.

Clothes on the line is common in most countries except cities in the U.S.
When I moved to Australia they only had like one type of small fluffer-upper dryer, and would be for during a wet spell only. We even had a rack in the house for drying clothes if the weather was iffy.
People here use their clothes lines. I love seeing freshly laundered sheets flying in the wind!

When I moved to Australia they only had like one type of small fluffer-upper dryer, and would be for during a wet spell only. We even had a rack in the house for drying clothes if the weather was iffy.
People here use their clothes lines. I love seeing freshly laundered sheets flying in the wind!.
Joey Bloggs said:
People here use their clothes lines. I love seeing freshly laundered sheets flying in the wind!
This must be a woman thing. I'm always hearing women reminisce about close lines and fresh smells.
I don't care about no stinkin' smells. If they're dry, I'm happy. If they're not, I'm not. I don't smell my clothes and towels, but I know women love to.

People here use their clothes lines. I love seeing freshly laundered sheets flying in the wind!.
Joey Bloggs said:
This must be a woman thing. I'm always hearing women reminisce about close lines and fresh smells.
I don't care about no stinkin' smells. If they're dry, I'm happy. If they're not, I'm not. I don't smell my clothes and towels, but I know women love to.
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
actually it is a man thing.
no really. they are the ones who go on about it and the reason we do it.

Joey Bloggs said:
Women do not enjoy trekking out in the yard with a heavy basket of wash to hang it up and then go back to take it down. I do it because I am too cheap to pay the gas company for what GOD gives me for free. Plus cotton sheets hanging on the line have less wrinkles than sheets a certain person forgot to take out of the dryer

Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
I don't smell my clothes and towels
I'll hazard a guess you do smell your clothes and towels. And that you know when something needs to be rewashed. Or when the formula on the laundry detergent changes. You're just not actively doing this. But everyone who doesn't have anosmia is constantly sorting different smells. Just ask Proust. You can't taste the madeleine if you can't smell it, too. (No comments on our gal Maddy, she'd probably take offense.)

Morticia said:
Probably worse if they guests pull up and see my underwear on the line
regular_smile.gif
, but our line is round the back so unless guests walk round the other side of the house they don't see them.
Like others I actually like seeing the sheets blowing in the wind. I do think they smell fresher and cleaner when you get into bed.
I think I'd be right in saying that a large proportion of people in the UK don't have a dryer.

Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
actually it is a man thing.
no really. they are the ones who go on about it and the reason we do it.
Joey Bloggs said:
actually it is a man thing. they are the...reason we do it.
You have my permission to stop!

Back