We were down for 2013

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not unexpectedly, we were down this year. A month-long vacation and planned, limited availability in November and December had the expected result, a drop in revenue. Still, we didn't do badly and we are in a "work less" mindset for the next (perhaps last?) 5 years of our B+B, if all goes as planned. Avg. room rate was up $15 so, although we are working less, we are making more for the hours we do work.
It is taking me time to readjust my thinking....I have always gone after every $$$ that could be made so cutting back takes some getting used to. I think I'm going to like it!!!
shades_smile.gif

Not unexpectedly, we were down this year. A month-long vacation and planned, limited availability in November and December had the expected result, a drop in revenue. Still, we didn't do badly and we are in a "work less" mindset for the next (perhaps last?) 5 years of our B+B, if all goes as planned. Avg. room rate was up $15 so, although we are working less, we are making more for the hours we do work.
It is taking me time to readjust my thinking....I have always gone after every $$$ that could be made so cutting back takes some getting used to. I think I'm going to like it!!!
shades_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
shades_smile.gif
And we will like it with you! You deserve a break today, and tomorrow...have fun!

We went up by about 100 rooms for the year. In Dec 2012 we had 8 rooms, last month we had 49 rooms! We are rocking! 2014 is going to be tremendous..
weve just picked up another 7 nights for jan as the 7 person team working for 2 of our regulars setting up for an exhibition show are apparently super slow! bonus to me!
The regulars are a really nice couple stay with us to set up and then pack up for 2 shows a year (their employer sells Christmas type decorations) but they are always having health and family problems - ie just before they were mean to come this time she rings we may not be coming tonight as we think the daughters water just broke and she is only at 51/2 months so its panic stations! - she arrived later all smiles - baby had kicked the daughters bladder thank goodness! apparently the daughter has had trouble all through the pregnancy so they were super worried, also between when they came last time and this she had to do a month in hospital and the husband (and may this be a warning to all of us to be careful!) jumped off the back of their waggon and broke his leg in 3 places! has had to have metal splints in and screws and all sorts and has been on a mobility scooter for 3 months!

shades_smile.gif
Silverspoon said:
shades_smile.gif
When we first got here the PO's told us to carry the phone with us at all times, never take a day off, never close for any reason, etc.
After 2 guilt-filled years of not being able to figure out why we couldn't even come close to the earnings they had, I threw up my hands and said, 'Let's close for Jan, no one is coming here.' Then we started closing for random weeks in April to go visit family. As we got to know the other innkeepers we found out some of them closed for 4 months, others closed mid-week and were open on the weekends, others just decided they didn't want guests on particular days. NO ONE else was busting butt like we were with so little to show for it.
Last year and this year, 10 years later, we made more than they did. We still do not know how they did it with rates that were at least $50/night less than what we charge. OK, I do kind of know...we have a 100 room hotel in town they didn't have to compete with.

Back