Weirdest thing you spend on

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When eggs go on special, I walk out with 2 gross at a time. A buy a carton of maple syrup (about 3.5 US gallons) at a time. I buy these 40 rolls packages of a$$wipes, when they are on special, I buy 3 or 4 of them at a time. Same thing with the bottled water. Other weird things... body wash in large quantity. My laundry detergent comes in a 1100 wash paint bucket (16kg.).
How do you keep that many eggs fresh for any length of time?
That's about 2 to 3 weeks at most (summer), between guests and baking. That's not that long. Never had an egg go bad, yet. Wouldn't do that any other time of the year, though.
Are your eggs refrigerated when you buy them?
Yes, with best by dates. The best thing about this kind of sale is that they go through so many that they are all very fresh when we buy them. Eggs are good for 4 weeks, when purchased fresh.

Oatmeal and berries. I am thinking of planting blueberries this year. Have contemplated it for several years and now have a connection with a Master Gardener so I will not screw it up. It is a lifetime since I left the farm and we grew vegetables we could can or freeze. The only berries we grew were strawberries. Other fruits were tree fruits - apples, plums, peaches, & pears.

Oatmeal and berries. I am thinking of planting blueberries this year. Have contemplated it for several years and now have a connection with a Master Gardener so I will not screw it up. It is a lifetime since I left the farm and we grew vegetables we could can or freeze. The only berries we grew were strawberries. Other fruits were tree fruits - apples, plums, peaches, & pears..
gillumhouse said:
I am thinking of planting blueberries this year.
Buy large bushes if you ever want to have enough berries to serve! We purchased 2 ones 3 yrs ago and so far have only produced a hand full. Also, gotta protect them from the birds or you are just growing bird food.

Ceiling fans! We just bought four more for the new pavilion, making a grand total of 24 ceiling fans on the premises! In our defense, this is Texas!

For us, it's annual flowers. I hang window boxes on all the windows in the front of the house and on the back deck and I plant a small side garden of zinnias. Tulip and gladiola bulbs will last for a few years but I end up replacing them often. The annuals are expensive but worth it as they last well into October.

Ceiling fans! We just bought four more for the new pavilion, making a grand total of 24 ceiling fans on the premises! In our defense, this is Texas!.
Mac said:
Ceiling fans! We just bought four more for the new pavilion, making a grand total of 24 ceiling fans on the premises! In our defense, this is Texas!
That is SOOOO blog-worthy!
You need a fan club.

For us, it's annual flowers. I hang window boxes on all the windows in the front of the house and on the back deck and I plant a small side garden of zinnias. Tulip and gladiola bulbs will last for a few years but I end up replacing them often. The annuals are expensive but worth it as they last well into October..
Country Girl said:
For us, it's annual flowers. I hang window boxes on all the windows in the front of the house and on the back deck and I plant a small side garden of zinnias. Tulip and gladiola bulbs will last for a few years but I end up replacing them often. The annuals are expensive but worth it as they last well into October.
when do you plant them so they last til Oct?

For us, it's annual flowers. I hang window boxes on all the windows in the front of the house and on the back deck and I plant a small side garden of zinnias. Tulip and gladiola bulbs will last for a few years but I end up replacing them often. The annuals are expensive but worth it as they last well into October..
Country Girl said:
I always save my zinnia seeds and any other annuals. I haven't bought annual seeds in years. Not all will last until OCT unfortunately....they each have their peak blooming time. But zinnias and margiolds should last till OCT. mine usually do. Half way through season, I always pinch mine back.
Alot of annual just self seed, so don't mess around with the garden soil too much in the spring or they will not germinate. I usually wait till after first frost is over until soil is warm to broadcast my seeds out in the beds.

Country Girl said:
I always save my zinnia seeds and any other annuals. I haven't bought annual seeds in years. Not all will last until OCT unfortunately....they each have their peak blooming time. But zinnias and margiolds should last till OCT. mine usually do. Half way through season, I always pinch mine back.
Alot of annual just self seed, so don't mess around with the garden soil too much in the spring or they will not germinate. I usually wait till after first frost is over until soil is warm to broadcast my seeds out in the beds.
I think my parsley has reseeded itself for at least 6 years. I get sage even in December. Cannot kill oregano or mint. This winter was bad enough that I think my rosemary died. My gardener is coming in tonight and she will assess my yard (may cry over the flowers she put in 2 years ago - hey, they bloomed spring, summer, and fall last year like they were supposed to - but the tomato plant may not have been a good idea).

Oatmeal and berries. I am thinking of planting blueberries this year. Have contemplated it for several years and now have a connection with a Master Gardener so I will not screw it up. It is a lifetime since I left the farm and we grew vegetables we could can or freeze. The only berries we grew were strawberries. Other fruits were tree fruits - apples, plums, peaches, & pears..
gillumhouse said:
Buy large bushes if you ever want to have enough berries to serve! We purchased 2 ones 3 yrs ago and so far have only produced a hand full. Also, gotta protect them from the birds or you are just growing bird food.
Yup, we have 8 blueberry bushes that produce well, but we never get more than a handful of berries. The birds get caught in the flexible netting so we don't use that anymore. It's a lot easier to just buy the berries!

gillumhouse said:
Yup, we have 8 blueberry bushes that produce well, but we never get more than a handful of berries. The birds get caught in the flexible netting so we don't use that anymore. It's a lot easier to just buy the berries!
i have MG friends with BEAUTIFUL blueberries. the built a 2x4 framework around them about 8 ft high and covered with chicken wire. no birds can get into it and they can harvest easily

gillumhouse said:
The Master Gardener who is behind our Community Garden has some and they said they get tons of berries. I will ask his help.

Country Girl said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Country Girl said:
The window boxes go up by Memorial Day weekend, whether it's still cold here or not. It's a mental thing. The zinnias get planted around the same time, maybe a week later, and the gladiolas get planted from June to July. I stagger the plantings every two weeks so I'll have continuous blooms until October. I usually take the window boxes down after Columbus Day weekend.

Turndown chocolates - I'm sure that the store clerks thought I had some kind of chocolate addiction when we had our B&B! ;-)

Latest posts

Back