Well this was a first...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a guest ask to switch rooms. When asked if I needed to 'clean the bathroom' they all said 'no'. So, of course I checked. Of course I did. Of course it needed cleaning..
I hope you checked everything!
BTW - this is the first time anyone has asked to change rooms because they didn't like the shape of the room. Generally speaking, the room they didn't like is the one everyone loves and wants to stay in.

Just had a guest ask to switch rooms. When asked if I needed to 'clean the bathroom' they all said 'no'. So, of course I checked. Of course I did. Of course it needed cleaning..
BTW - this is the first time anyone has asked to change rooms because they didn't like the shape of the room. Generally speaking, the room they didn't like is the one everyone loves and wants to stay in.
What??? You get the strange ones. What if you didn't have another one available

Shape? Like this room is shaped like a "L", I want one shaped totally square?

Yes, never trust them!

Hillbilly, I can understand how upsetting this was!
The only thing I will point out is that this could have been avoided if the rooms were locked..
You are probably correct. We get a lot of late check ins. This is the first time in 16 years this has happened. How would you handle late check ins (After midnight) and get them their keys?
Hillbilly said:
How would you handle late check ins (After midnight) and get them their keys?
Keypad lock and e-mail or text them the code.
We tried one of these a few years back and the younger people for the most part can use them just fine. Older people had a hard time with them and I had to spend a lot of time going and helping people get into their rooms. But maybe there are some better ones out there now.
Hillbilly said:
We tried one of these a few years back and the younger people for the most part can use them just fine. Older people had a hard time with them and I had to spend a lot of time going and helping people get into their rooms. But maybe there are some better ones out there now.
They've come a long way in 'a few' years. And so have most guests.

I use to have some fumble with the keypad and give me 'the look' but really it is as simple as 123...
I love the (idea) of the ones you can change the code with your cell phone. They came out about a month after we had to replace our old one.

We make it as clear as possible that if they plan to arrive after 7pm they must let us know so we can provide their self check in information. If they let us know in advance, we email them the 'how to' use the keypad, then text them day of with the code or tell them to call us day of so we can provide.
Our rooms are all inside so we leave their room key and directions to their room in the entry.

If you provide their code in advance - text or email - then you can have a box where they can pick up directions to their room on arrival.
Good luck!

Once we thought we had heard it all and then you come here to blow our minds once more!

The only thing I will point out is that this could have been avoided if the rooms were locked..
You are probably correct. We get a lot of late check ins. This is the first time in 16 years this has happened. How would you handle late check ins (After midnight) and get them their keys?
Hillbilly said:
Hillbilly said:
Help us all, I thought you were referring to something else, also mentioned in this thread.

Hillbilly said:
Hillbilly said:
Help us all, I thought you were referring to something else, also mentioned in this thread.
JBloggs said:
Hillbilly said:
I'm on the floor laughing!

Back