What a Bonehead!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
Well today I dragged myself upstairs to start cleaning. Had that last bed to strip. Made 2 beds and got those rooms ready and decided to do laundry since it had cleared up from the promise of rain. Figured I would do the last room tomorrow morning so it would be freshly cleaned for the guests. I have been looking at my rez calendar for days as to what is when.
Looking out the window this evening I see a strange car pull in to the VFD parking lot and park. I KNOW it is coming here! Tomorrow is TODAY!!! I go out to the porch and greet them and confess that in my BRAIN (if I had one) I had them coming in tomorrow. Have you had dinner? No, well might I suggest.... while I finish up your room. Like good little troopers, off they go and I go like a tornado to get that room done. JUST as I finished, they came back. Whew! They were so nice, even brought us a bottle of Minneso ta wine. THAT was a first for me - to mix up arrival days but even worse - to forget today was payday at the City!
Update: She chose Costa Rica and Honduras for her coffees. Since one roast make 2 pots, I put the remaining beans of each in bags I use for the pesky donation requests. I labeled each with its country name and a label - Gift of..... and told her I appreciate their understanding my braindead and I was giving them the coffee in appreciation.

One of my biggest fears...forgetting a check in and to be sitting around in my skivvies, enjoying what I thought was a day off, doing nothing...waiting until the next day to clean and along comes a car. Ugh!

Glad they were good natured and easy going. And how nice, to bring a gift :)

You need a roadtrip..
thumbs_up.gif

Is it September yet?

we sort of had this - no check in's for a particular Sunday, we decided to go out for lunch.
Tourist info rang us - lady is here she is one of your guests came to check in and there is no one there - explained she wasn't one of ours but woman was very insistent. We had just got our lunch and it was only 1pm so she was an hour early for check in anyway and didn't have a mobile phone.
Left dh at the pub and drove back checked her in and then went back to my ruined lunch, am sure to this day she wasn't one of ours but what do you do?

One of my biggest fears...forgetting a check in and to be sitting around in my skivvies, enjoying what I thought was a day off, doing nothing...waiting until the next day to clean and along comes a car. Ugh!

Glad they were good natured and easy going. And how nice, to bring a gift :).
BananaE29 said:

I have nightmares like that. I see a car pull up the drive and realize the room isn't clean and there's usually rubbish all over the house or I'm decorating and there's dust sheets all over the place. I'm rushing round trying to get everything sorted before they ring the door bell. I wake up in a cold sweat and then a rush of relief comes over me when I realize it's just a dream.

Well, I installed a brand new electronic lock yesterday. One of the features is that while it's deadbolt, it self locks. I set up what I thought was my passcode, etc. Well, I accidentally closed the door, it locked and the keys.... yup, you guessed it... in the room. And of course my passcode didn't work. Called the company, no override system. I finally had to get help and break into the room via the window AC and a second floor window.
(I put the keys in my pocket and I reset the code, so it won't happen again!)
We all have our boneheaded moments.

Well, I installed a brand new electronic lock yesterday. One of the features is that while it's deadbolt, it self locks. I set up what I thought was my passcode, etc. Well, I accidentally closed the door, it locked and the keys.... yup, you guessed it... in the room. And of course my passcode didn't work. Called the company, no override system. I finally had to get help and break into the room via the window AC and a second floor window.
We all have our boneheaded moments..
Jon Sable said:
It's a good idea to have a key stored somewhere safe outside the building. Technology sometimes fails. It's good to have a key as a backup. There's really not much point in keeping the key inside the building since the only time you'd need it is when you cannot get into the building with your code.

We all have our boneheaded moments..
Jon Sable said:
It's a good idea to have a key stored somewhere safe outside the building. Technology sometimes fails. It's good to have a key as a backup. There's really not much point in keeping the key inside the building since the only time you'd need it is when you cannot get into the building with your code.
Actually, this was one of the rooms in the B&B. I'm slowly moving from keys to entirely keyless locks. I'm tired of chasing guests for the key. I'll likely keep the key locked in my own abode. :)

Actually, this was one of the rooms in the B&B.
Then you've learned a good lesson. Any time you're installing a new one, the first thing to do is take the key and stash it safely in your own abode!
My keypad locks came with a button on the inside people could press to put it in "unlocked mode" so they can enter without needing the code. I tinkered with insides of the thing to disable that, so with mine now, if the door is closed, it's like a hotel room door: always locked. You ALWAYS need the code to enter.

Glad they were good natured and easy going. And how nice, to bring a gift :).
BananaE29 said:

Two years ago we were putting a new door on the exterior of the house. We were both dressed for that kind of work, sawdust everywhere and no door on the house!
Up walks a couple with a reservation. We are dumbfounded. I ask for their confirmation, if they have it. They show it to us. We point out they are a week early.
Embarrassment ensues. We check them in but we lost out on our day off.

Oh yeah, like the time the doorbell rang and there were guests with reservation standing on the porch, smiling away. I broke into a cold sweat as I had not recorded their reservation (this was way back in 1991, before computers were so popular). Luckily the room was clean and I had not taken another reservation for that room so I had not double booked. Whew! But that taught me a very valuable lesson about taking care of the calendar immediately!!!

Back